Site Network Movies Fan Submission Community Media Games News
There are 0 users online.
Username: Password: Save:
MK Online    Kommunity    Show Message
Join MK Online Free or become a Flawless Member for special benefits.
Top MKX Discussions
- Supreme Mortal Kombat Champion Tournament 2017!
- Injustice 2 Fighter Pack 1 Trailer Reveals Sub-Zero & More
- MKX Mobile - Baraka Challenge
- Speculation: Future of Non-Playable Characters In Doubt?
- Mortal Kombat X Mobile Announces Anniversary Update
- Kountdown: Top 10 Supremely Missed in Mortal Kombat X
- Mortal Kombat XL Announce Trailer
- MKX DLC: Unpacking Kombat Pack 2 Characters
- Mortal Kombat X Kombat Pack 2 Trailer - 4 DLC Fighters
- WSJ Reports Mortal Kombat X Sales Exceed Five Million
- Guide: Komplete Mortal Kombat X Brutality List

Register to join the discussion. Share stories via @MK_Online & Facebook.

MK Online User Poll

Best Mobile Challenger?
Baraka (21.8%)
Jade (45.4%)
Lin Kuei Cybers (25.4%)
Freddy Krueger (7.2%)

Forum Listings

MK Online Site Updates
  • November 23rd, 2017
    Mortal Kombat X Mobile - Punk Cassie Challenge [Read On]
  • November 18th, 2017
    Mortal Kombat Funko Store Signing - Sunday [Read On]
  • November 18th, 2017
    Justice League Gear & Events Hit Injustice 2 [Read On]
  • November 11th, 2017
    Injustice 2 Fighter Pack 3 Reveals Enchantress & TMNT [Read On]
  • November 10th, 2017
    ELEAGUE Injustice 2 Fighter Pack 3 Reveal Tonight [Read On]

Site Themes
You must be logged in to
select themes.

MKO on Twitter

Mortal Kombat X

Discussing Mortal Kombat X and all things Kontemporary to it.
Page of 1

Mick-LuciferPosted: 12/05/2015 01:38 AMStatus ::
MKX DLC: Terminator & Halloween Guests Were Discussed

Even as hardcore fandom reignites debate over the legitimacy of guest characters in Mortal Kombat X; Creative Director Ed Boon has been discussing some of the franchise crossovers that never quite came to pass.

Speaking with IGN, Boon revealed characters from Terminator and Halloween were among the choices discussed at NetherRealm Studios: "We've tossed around a whole bunch of names, like The Terminator, or something like that. And for various reasons – whether it wasn't a match, or we just couldn't come to terms with it – they didn't happen."

Lone Star State: Leatherface and the Alien Xenomorph in 2016's Kombat Pack 2.

Horror movie slashers have obviously been an accessible favourite for the studio, who introduces their third in Kombat Pack 2 with Texas Chainsaw Massacre's Leatherface.

The chainsaw killer follows Freddy Kreuger (A Nightmare on Elm Street) in Mortal Kombat (2011) and Jason Voorhees (Friday The 13th) in the first Kombat Pack.

Boon told IGN, "We're always exploring a lot more than we actually end up doing. For instance: Michael Meyers from the Halloween franchise. We talked about that at one point but it just never kind of panned out."

Unlucky For Some: Jason Voorhees and The Predator in the original 2015 Kombat Pack.

These aren't the first franchise near misses revealed for the series. In 2014, Boon revealed Marcus Fenix (Gears of War) was in consideration for a Microsoft exclusive in 2011 [full story], while early PlayStation mascot Sweet Tooth (Twisted Metal) almost balanced the other side [full story]. Sony received the only console exclusive of the generation: God of War's Kratos. No exclusives were made for MKX.

While die hard Mortal Kombat fans inevitably lament the klassic characters left untouched, a majority of customers continue to show support for licensed novelties. Guest fighters in Injustice: Gods Among Us (2013) and Mortal Kombat (2011) were both cited as the top selling additions. The appeal of 2015's Alien versus Predator potential is sure to spur on new success.

The Wall Street Journal has reported sales in excess of five million for Mortal Kombat X [full story]. The monetary success positioned Warner Brothers Interactive Entertainment as the leading games publisher for 2015, and expanded the MK player base to its highest potential total, to date.

As expansive micro-transaction content becomes a fighting game standard, and Mortal Kombat continues to break new mass market ground, it's easy to see how video game cross-promotion could not only be here to stay - but become a business platform unto itself. Comments from one producer have already suggested Warner Brothers' hand in Kombat Pack 2 character selection. Lionsgate release their Texas Chainsaw prequel Leatherface next year. With a captive audience in the millions playing Mortal Kombat X, it's a logical investment for advertisers, and a potentially lucrative platform for Warner Bros.

[Related Article: Mad Jax: NetherRealm Pay Homage to Avalanche Studios]

Kombat Pack 2 begins its arrival in 2016, with bonus skins and an arena [full story]. What will you be buying? Register to share your thoughts on the Mortal Kombat X forum. Support the community by liking & sharing stories via @MK_Online and Facebook.

BADASS6669Posted: 12/05/2015 01:54 AMStatus ::

Visits::5695
Nationality::United States
RE: MKX DLC: Terminator & Halloween Guests Were Discussed

NRS needs to just make a Horror Movie Fighting Game already and get it out of there system. Scratch that itch. It would be hard to get the rights but it could happen. Freddy Jason Leatherface Michael Myers Chucky Annabelle Saw Ash Pumpkin head Pin Head Jonny from the Shinning Bride of Chucky Gremlin Think of that hit box Darth Vader Doomsday Darkside Etc.

Sex is Evil, Evil is Sin, Sin is forgiven, so Sex is in. I kill people for a living. Get over it.
KenshiMaster16Posted: 12/05/2015 02:05 AMStatus ::

Visits::10118

BADASS6669 Wrote:
NRS needs to just make a Horror Movie Fighting Game already and get it out of there system. Scratch that itch.

This, this, fucking this.

mkmileenaPosted: 12/05/2015 02:17 AMStatus ::

Visits::4823

The fact that they just sit around and discuss this shit on the daily irks me. How about focusing some on your own damn brand more?

Ethereal, ravenous, piercing. It's Mileena bitch.

Lovely signature by MINION

Demon_0Posted: 12/05/2015 02:23 AMStatus ::

Visits::4663
Nationality::Afghanistan

Yeah Ed, more guest character talk is exactly what I'm interested in. KP2 was a big fuck you towards MK fans. How about discussing characters like Fujin and why, despite of the huge demand, they were overlooked (again) and we get moronic choices like Leatherface and Bo Rai Cho? I'd bet my left nut demand and anticipation for Fujin was higher than BRC

Avatar is part of fanart created by Esau13
Methuselah6463Posted: 12/05/2015 07:41 AMStatus ::

Visits::924

I Think it's cool that NRS is exploring things.. bringing light to new ideas.. everyone on here complains to much about the New Ideas..

I mean let's look at the track record here.. MK VS DC.. NO BODY liked the idea when it was announced... shortly after it's released..IT DID VERY WELL...

Freddy in MK 9.. AGAIN .. EVERYONE COMPLAINED.... but once again.. after playing the character everyone enjoyed it..

Same for Jason and Predator..

Why am I not surprised about the leather face and Alien... come on guys.. if anything NRS has proven they know EXACTLY what they are doing.. and the characters will be great..

Damn its hard being this cool
RandwulfPosted: 12/05/2015 04:26 PMStatus ::

Visits::397

Warner Kombat = no, thanks.

One guest character is not an issue, but 4 is suckling the corporate teet a bit too much.

Oh well, MK has had highs and lows in its 2 1/2 decades. For me, MK9 was a high point, and MKX one of the lowest of lows for the series. For now, MK goes in to hibernation for 4-5 years until they hopefully keep the greed of dlc and novelty characters at bay in the next MK. Plenty of other games to play.

Enjoy the Baraka xenomorph, folks.

Blade4693Posted: 12/05/2015 04:41 PMStatus ::

Visits::3252

Michael would have been a dream come true for me just like Jason and Leatherface are, except times like 2 lol I love Myers so much. Don't care for Terminator though, glad they didn't put him/it in tbh.

Page of 1

© 1998-2017 Mortal Kombat Online. All rights reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Mortal Kombat, the dragon logo and all character names are trademarks and copyright of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.