Liu Kang: which version is strongest
posted06/01/2016 09:38 AM (UTC)by
JasonVPred
About Me

... here's your Subzero, now plain zero.

Was pondering which one should be considered the strongest and in a three way mirror match between the living champion Liu, zombie Liu Kang and revenant Liu Kang, which one would be left standing?

I think the original Liu has just as much skill as the revenant Liu, while zombie Liu is likely to use more of his brute strength as he does not have his original spirit within his body to be thinking tactically. I think he would seek out revenant Liu first as he is a threat to Earthrealm.

Power wise, the order would be zombie, original then revenant.

Zombie can take the most punishment and revenant being dead would probably survive more hits than his living counterpart.

The way I see it, when revenant Liu is being targeted by the zombie Liu, it will leave either survivor weakened enough so that original Liu wins the fight easily.

In the event of a fair and evenly spread out fight I still see the living Liu outmatching the other two. So what do you think? Anything to add about Liu's speculated power levels?
OrangatangKang
About Me

WATAHHHHHHHHH!!!

03/04/2016 04:01 PM (UTC)
LOL I'm going with MK II Liu because that bicycle kick was killer!
tabmok99
About Me

For the most in-depth, in-detail, Mortal Kombat lore analysis vids, there's only one source:

https://www.youtube.com/tabmok99

05/07/2016 02:49 PM (UTC)
Can't believe you left out the fan favorite -- Spirit Liu!
PickleMendip
About Me

STATE FED LIES CHARM EMPTY EYES. Anon.

05/14/2016 01:51 PM (UTC)
Are 'zombie' and 'revenant' all that different? I mean both are undead controlled dark variants of the same guy.
MortalMushroom
06/01/2016 02:57 AM (UTC)
The difference between Zombie Liu and Revenant Liu is that Zombie Liu does not have Liu Kang's soul. He's essentially a vessel that contained Liu Kang's fighting skill but none of his conscious thoughts; he simply has the single instinct to kill everyone who was a threat to Earth Realm (or perceived as a threat by Raiden, who resurrected him).

Revenant Liu, on the other hand, does have Liu Kang's soul. He retains all of his memories, but his soul has been corrupted so that he is evil and does things that normal, human Liu would not, such as answer to Shinnok, try to kill Raiden (although he did try to do that in MK9, although for a much different reason), and support the conquering of EarthRealm. Although now that Shinnok is dead and he is co-ruler of the NetherRealm, it's unclear how many of those things he'd still do. But it is clear that he is still dark, and capable of things his non-corrupt counterpart would not do. As opposed to Zombie Liu, he is obviously capable of rational thought and must be pretty cunning to rise to leadership over many other revenants of similar power and status.

As for the strongest version of Liu Kang, I can't say for certain, due to the limited knowledge the audience has about Rev or Zombie. However, overall, the original, human Liu Kang has shown time and again to be one of the strongest characters in the MK Universe.

He defeated Shang Tsung, Shao Kahn, and (although it may have been retconned at some point) Shinnok throughout the original MK games. All of these bosses are among the most feared and powerful characters in the MK universe, and being that he beat several of the more than once, I'd chalk it up to him actually being more powerful than them rather than him just being lucky.

Revenant Liu Kang, on the other hand, seems to be more manageable, even by characters of seemingly lesser skill. Although I feel bad for using MKX's somewhat sporadic fight scenes as an indication of a character's power. However, personally I feel that with his soul corrupted, part of what makes him Liu Kang is repressed, and he isn't 100 percent on par with human Liu.

Zombie Liu is out, for me. Liu Kang is a smart fighter, and without his conscience I don't think he stands much of a chance. His body is weak, as he is literally a walking corpse (as opposed to revenant Liu being completely physically restored). And while Rev Liu has his mind partially bound, Zombie Liu doesn't have a mind at all.

Overall, I think the biggest difference between the three versions of Liu Kang is their minds, not their fighting abilities. And I think the original, human Liu Kang's mind, free from anyone's control, is what made him the champion of Mortal Kombat, and one of the most powerful warriors in the universe. So, my two cents is, the strongest version of Liu Kang is his human version.
Quanchi9
About Me

why

06/01/2016 03:49 AM (UTC)
What about "On Fire Liu Kang", or "Liu Kang but with green pants" from MK2? Don't those qualify?
JasonVPred
About Me

... here's your Subzero, now plain zero.

06/01/2016 09:38 AM (UTC)
Quanchi9 Wrote:
What about "On Fire Liu Kang", or "Liu Kang but with green pants" from MK2? Don't those qualify?

Fine, include every original palette swap of Liu Kang. grin I always assumed Hornbuckle was as strong as Blaze.
Pages: 1
Download on the App StoreGet it on Google Play
© 1998-2024 Shadow Knight Media, LLC. All rights reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Mortal Kombat, the dragon logo and all character names are trademarks and copyright of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.