Suicide Squad (2016) reactions
posted08/15/2016 05:45 AM (UTC)by
Detox
About Me

You work with what you got...not what you hope for.

I didn't see anything else pertaining to the movie, other than the Injustice update thread. If I missed it, please feel free to merge...

And as far as I'm concerned, I liked it. It wasn't necessarily the train wreck that it's been made out to be, but the knee jerk reaction after Batman v Superman can be felt here. In an effort to make the movie more "fun", it just kinda left everything a bit more spastic feeling than necessary.

Probably my biggest beef with the movie is that no one really felt like a villain here. Sure they used bad words and sneered at authority figures, but the whole appeal to this property is a group of bad people being brought together to do some good. I recognize that we have to be given a reason to cheer these guys on, but road taken here was just a bit too by the book. People brought together, objective tossed at them, tension, breakdown/team building exercises, victory. This particular group demanded something a bit more believable, and the film makers didn't come through.

The individual characters were fun. Though I personally don't care for "crime boss" Joker, Leto did fine. Deadshot was just Will Smith in cosplay, which I'm pretty sure that's what WB was paying for. Captain Boomerang and Croc were good for a couple one liners, Diablo and Katana...did they really need to be there?

As for Harley Quinn, I'm giving her her own paragraph here because she got a lot of attention in the build up. She wasn't quite the scene stealer she was made out to be, but Robbie did an admirable job with the character. A lot has been made in the media about the character's sexuality and her appearance in the movie, and...I don't know. I try to stay out of conversations like this, but it just didn't make or break the movie for me. She could've skipped around in the Harlequin outfit and it would've amounted to the same thing for me here. *shrug* Nikki Minaj shakes her ass in the Anaconda video and she's called fearless, Margot Robbie wears short shorts in a comic book movie, and everyone involved are Neanderthals.*double shrug*

As for the rumor that there are two versions of the movie floating around, I'd be inclined to believe it and wouldn't mind seeing the version Ayer had prepared before WB hit the panic button. I can't imagine the story to be all that different, but a lot of the pacing issues this movie has can probably be attributed to the second cut. Fingers crossed.

At the end of the day, this movie is what it is. Finished before BvS critical beating but not released before WB had the opportunity to try and work damage control. Overall, it's fun if you let it be...just don't question too much.
Venkman28
About Me
I know what I have given you. I do not know what you have received.
08/13/2016 02:11 AM (UTC)
Detox Wrote:
I didn't see anything else pertaining to the movie, other than the Injustice update thread. If I missed it, please feel free to merge...

And as far as I'm concerned, I liked it. It wasn't necessarily the train wreck that it's been made out to be, but the knee jerk reaction after Batman v Superman can be felt here. In an effort to make the movie more "fun", it just kinda left everything a bit more spastic feeling than necessary.

Probably my biggest beef with the movie is that no one really felt like a villain here. Sure they used bad words and sneered at authority figures, but the whole appeal to this property is a group of bad people being brought together to do some good. I recognize that we have to be given a reason to cheer these guys on, but road taken here was just a bit too by the book. People brought together, objective tossed at them, tension, breakdown/team building exercises, victory. This particular group demanded something a bit more believable, and the film makers didn't come through.

The individual characters were fun. Though I personally don't care for "crime boss" Joker, Leto did fine. Deadshot was just Will Smith in cosplay, which I'm pretty sure that's what WB was paying for. Captain Boomerang and Croc were good for a couple one liners, Diablo and Katana...did they really need to be there?

As for Harley Quinn, I'm giving her her own paragraph here because she got a lot of attention in the build up. She wasn't quite the scene stealer she was made out to be, but Robbie did an admirable job with the character. A lot has been made in the media about the character's sexuality and her appearance in the movie, and...I don't know. I try to stay out of conversations like this, but it just didn't make or break the movie for me. She could've skipped around in the Harlequin outfit and it would've amounted to the same thing for me here. *shrug* Nikki Minaj shakes her ass in the Anaconda video and she's called fearless, Margot Robbie wears short shorts in a comic book movie, and everyone involved are Neanderthals.*double shrug*

As for the rumor that there are two versions of the movie floating around, I'd be inclined to believe it and wouldn't mind seeing the version Ayer had prepared before WB hit the panic button. I can't imagine the story to be all that different, but a lot of the pacing issues this movie has can probably be attributed to the second cut. Fingers crossed.

At the end of the day, this movie is what it is. Finished before BvS critical beating but not released before WB had the opportunity to try and work damage control. Overall, it's fun if you let it be...just don't question too much.

I came into the theater with an open mind and no expectations. The end result is I had a fun time. I felt it was way too fast in terms of pacing and not enough time to know the characters. Those were the flaws I found with it.

I dug Jared Leto as a new version of the Joker. Margot Robbie really hit it as Harley along with Will Smith as Deadshot and Jay Hernandez as El Diablo. I also liked Enchantress too.

WB and DC are in a damned if you do and damned if you don't scenario with their DC films. Hopefully, Wonder Woman and Justice League will have not repeated the mistakes Batman v. Superman and Suicide Squad had.
Detox
About Me

You work with what you got...not what you hope for.

08/13/2016 03:31 AM (UTC)
Venkman28 Wrote:

WB and DC are in a damned if you do and damned if you don't scenario with their DC films. Hopefully, Wonder Woman and Justice League will have not repeated the mistakes Batman v. Superman and Suicide Squad had.

I'm confident Justice League is where DC's cinematic universe will turn a corner(if it does). Wonder Woman is a wild card, though. Suicide Squad was basically done when WB had a heart attack over BvS. There was nothing that could've really been done, and I wish they had just let Suicide Squad go without the changes. But Wonder Woman, I'm unsure if BvS had any impact on the script/story(i.e. where any meaningful changes could take place). Otherwise, we're dealing with another movie that was well on its way to completion before the shit storm of BvS.

If that's the case, expect more executive tinkering which will ultimately lead to another underwhelming showing. The trailer for WW was a good start, but,as seen with Suicide Squad, that can lead to problems all their own.
DG1OA
08/13/2016 04:46 PM (UTC)
It was a fun movie, but we didn't see enough of the Joker. I would have prefered him to be part of the Suicide Squad, or for him to have some interactions with the Enchantress, or even for him to just kill a few of her minions.

Every Squad members were well portrayed. Margot Robbie did a great job as Harley, and I did like how

*SPOILERS*

She saved the day, and the way she did it.

*END SPOILERS*

I also liked that Killer Croc was part of the Squad, and it was refreshing to see him kick ass and not be a jobber as he usually is.

Rick Flagg was easily the most boring character however, imo. He was mostly a bland "relatable" character for the audience. The Enchantress and her brother were alright villains, but it felt like they were there mostly so the Squad would have an enemy to fight. The movie truly was about them.

But as I said, not enough Joker. I'd watch a whole movie about Jared Leto's version.
BADASS6669
About Me

Sex is Evil, Evil is Sin, Sin is forgiven, so Sex is in.

I kill people for a living. Get over it.

08/13/2016 08:02 PM (UTC)
The movie was great not perfect but great. unlike the above poster I think that Leto's Joker was the worst part of the movie.

B vs S ultimate edition was done right. WB hit the panic button too fast on both movies.
[Killswitch]
About Me

Shao Kahn did nothing wrong

08/15/2016 05:45 AM (UTC)
The more I think about this movie, the more I hate it. That end fight was so laughably bad.

Spoilers: (Highlight to reveal)
Especially when Will Smith was about to shoot the bomb to finish the fight and he has that stupid vision of his daughter telling him not to do it. Like, he's trying to save the world...is this an appropriate time to be having this vision right now?

Leto didn't click with me. The movie was just all over the place and felt unfinished in areas (Gee I wonder why) and I just didn't care for it at all.

Only things I liked were the soundtrack throughout the movie and Jai Courtney's Captain Boomerang was awesome. Really enjoyed him in that role.

Other than that I'd give this movie a solid 4/10. I went in really wanting to like it too.
Pages: 1
Download on the App StoreGet it on Google Play
© 1998-2024 Shadow Knight Media, LLC. All rights reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Mortal Kombat, the dragon logo and all character names are trademarks and copyright of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.