Time for NRS to step up their post release support?
posted10/26/2017 04:52 PM (UTC)by
Detox
About Me

You work with what you got...not what you hope for.

As I’ve found out(or at least remember, anyway) in the last few weeks, MK is an itch that’s hard to scratch. I’ve been fine for the last few months. I’d deleted MKX from my hard drive to make room for Injustice 2, among other things. I’ve played Injustice 2 regularly since release. The grind of I2 has begun to wear on me, but I’ve been making the most of it. Then...Raiden happened. The second release for I2’s second fighter pack also happens to coincide with MK’s 25th anniversary. I began to flinch. Then learning the ins and outs of I2’s version of Raiden, I used Raiden’s super move...the second that ridiculously MK super move finished, that flinch became an itch.

Over the last week, I’ve reinstalled MKX, redownloaded the extra content(a surprising pain in the ass, by the way), and proceeded to dust off some mains and get back into the fight for Earthrealm...and it has been glorious. I really hadn’t realized how much I missed this game, this universe. As I hit up some towers and contemplate taking another run at story mode, I couldn’t help but to think, “this didn’t have to end so soon.”

That’s not me speaking just out of my love for the series or my heartbreak at the fact that it’s a four year gap between iterations. No, it really didn’t have to end so soon. After the MKXL(aka the KP2 dump) fans were left to wonder if that would be it. After all, until that point, even a KP2 was uncharted territory for NRS. Even Ed Boon himself tossed a little gas on the fire after Injustice 2’s announcement...

Boon’s “some people think Injustice 2 killed KP3” tweet

Following that Tweet in June, we got another bit of the unprecedented, a balance patch for MKXL in October 2016. Not just any balance patch, mind you, a patch which fundamentally changed how the game was played! Surely(I’ll call you what I want!), with a patch like this and the addition of a substantially better netcode with MKXL, there’s no way new content was not on the horizon.

And then...there wasn’t.

I’m still left wondering, why? Killer Instinct had multiple seasons of content(granted, different distribution model), Street Fighter V is getting ready to release the final fighter in season 2, with a third season apparently on the horizon. Not only that, but a story mode was added post release, and now, the heavily requested Arcade mode(FINALLY!) arriving nearly two years after release. We can only assume MVC:I will also receive this amount of support.

Aside from competing games, NRS seems to look at Injustice and Mortal Kombat as the same community. It just isn’t, and they have to drop that perception. Hell, this forum is a living testament to that. As a matter of fact MKX still has just as many, if not more(depending on the night you look) players online than Injustice! Nearly three years after release! There is no reason, with WB’s massive amount of support, that Injustice and MK can’t live side by side. I absolutely believe money has been left on the table as far as MKX goes. Imagine how huge MK’s 25th anniversary could’ve been with another full fledged console update!

Ultimately, the ball is NRS/WB’s court. They have to know the demand is there. Look around the competitive community and there are already people saying how much they miss MKX. Look on Boon’s twitter feed, any ole tweet will do, and you’ll see multiple requests for more MK content. NRS has made huge strides in post release content, but if they hope to tune into this “games as a service” or Esport trend, they have to have a plan better than “support for 8 months then abandon for the next game and hope everyone comes along for the ride.”

That’s my rant, I may add more later. What say you? Are you hungry for more content? Are you happy with NRS current dlc strategy? What, if any, improvements would you like to see them make? What type of content would keep you coming back for more?
lastfighter89
10/19/2017 12:30 PM (UTC)
Time wise MKX's support has been fine, almost perfect.
It had two kombat packs and several extra content, some of it for free.
If many of us have the feeling that the game support was.brief is due to the excessive number of guests characters.
One per pack was more than enough.

Let's be honest, wheter you like guests or not, I'd say that every MK.character had.more time of media, gameplay and competitive coverage, even characters that are not so good, like Tanya and Bo'Rai Cho.

Another issue is the lack of extra content, especially single player wise, of MKX. MK9 was already a step back from Deception and Deadly Alliance. No minigames, no gameplay modification (think about Atom's Star labs missions in the first Injustice), smaller keypt full of useless content (Fatality inputs and costumes).
Detox
About Me

10/19/2017 04:50 PM (UTC)
lastfighter89 Wrote:

Once again, sure, the first 9 months of the game’s support is smooth sailing. No argument there. I’m trying to point out NRS/WB’s seeming lack of interest in playing the long game with their products.
lastfighter89
10/19/2017 07:41 PM (UTC)
Detox Wrote:
lastfighter89 Wrote:

Once again, sure, the first 9 months of the game’s support is smooth sailing. No argument there. I’m trying to point out NRS/WB’s seeming lack of interest in playing the long game with their products.

They stop supporting the game when:
1) they've reached their planned income
2) there aren't DLC and paywalled gimmicks to milk.

MKX is the best and fastest selling game of the franchise, so, ironically, the better and faster the income, the shorter the support.
It would have been different if we had a KP3, but with the usual NRS' work routine it would have been impossible to make, so I've stopped complaining about Ed Boon long time ago, it's not his fault.

Balancing patch wise, they killed my favourite and most used cgaracter TWICE, one at kaunch when they.make "fisticuffs" an impotent, small, unreactive dick, then the secobd time with "A-List", which totally emasculated the character.
I dunno, but I've heard a lot of Erron and Takeda's players complaining about it.

So, honestly, NRS and I have a very different concept of balanced fameplay.
Detox
About Me

10/19/2017 09:16 PM (UTC)
lastfighter89 Wrote:
Detox Wrote:
lastfighter89 Wrote:

MKX is the best and fastest selling game of the franchise, so, ironically, the better and faster the income, the shorter the support.
It would have been different if we had a KP3, but with the usual NRS' work routine it would have been impossible to make, so I've stopped complaining about Ed Boon long time ago, it's not his fault.

Balancing patch wise, they killed my favourite and most used cgaracter TWICE, one at kaunch when they.make "fisticuffs" an impotent, small, unreactive dick, then the secobd time with "A-List", which totally emasculated the character.
I dunno, but I've heard a lot of Erron and Takeda's players complaining about it.

Well, ultimately this thread is meant to be a call to change how NRS/WB looks at and approaches the post launch lives of their games. Are you against the longer life philosophy, PERIOD, or is this just how you’re feeling with MKX(the example I used for no other reason than it is the most recent MK)?
ShaolinChuan
10/20/2017 12:31 AM (UTC)
Haven't posted here in ages...

Netherrealm probably had KP3 in the works, but to my guess, the higher ups at WB killed it and said we're done with MKX. They just updated all their mobile games with a ton of MK content, but who plays that shit anyway right? We only care about consoles and pc.

On one hand I am glad they cut support to MKX, as it's still my main game to go to, still far from being my favorite. I'm still salty over what KP2 ended up being, I had never been more disappointed in NRS. The game simply has too many guests. The special forces kids suck, I can't stand them. The stages were bland, the gameplay and graphics were amazing.

I'm enjoying Injustice 2 on and off, just want to get all the dlc out of the way to fully enjoy it. Currently playing Marvel and SFV, SFV is getting way better as Arcade Edition drops.

The best thing for NRS is to make MK11 as best as it could be. Less guests, more veteran characters, bring back some 3D era ones like Li Mei, and scrap the shit out of SF kids.
lastfighter89
10/20/2017 01:15 AM (UTC)
Detox Wrote:
lastfighter89 Wrote:
Detox Wrote:
lastfighter89 Wrote:

Well, ultimately this thread is meant to be a call to change how NRS/WB looks at and approaches the post launch lives of their games. Are you against the longer life philosophy, PERIOD, or is this just how you’re feeling with MKX(the example I used for no other reason than it is the most recent MK)?

Neither of them.
That's exactly how things went, and considering MK overall success is going to be even worse.

MK should be fully.multimedia franchise, use movies, comics, etc to keep busy the MK fanbase while they work on Injustice, and delivering as much content as possible would be a solution.

But again, too much stuff could kill the enjoyment of the game, especially if they nerf your favourite and buff all the guests.
Detox
About Me

10/20/2017 02:11 AM (UTC)
ShaolinChuan Wrote:

Netherrealm probably had KP3 in the works, but to my guess, the higher ups at WB killed it and said we're done with MKX. They just updated all their mobile games with a ton of MK content, but who plays that shit anyway right? We only care about consoles and pc.

On one hand I am glad they cut support to MKX, as it's still my main game to go to, still far from being my favorite. I'm still salty over what KP2 ended up being, I had never been more disappointed in NRS. The game simply has too many guests. The special forces kids suck, I can't stand them. The stages were bland, the gameplay and graphics were amazing.

I'm enjoying Injustice 2 on and off, just want to get all the dlc out of the way to fully enjoy it. Currently playing Marvel and SFV, SFV is getting way better as Arcade Edition drops.

The best thing for NRS is to make MK11 as best as it could be. Less guests, more veteran characters, bring back some 3D era ones like Li Mei, and scrap the shit out of SF kids.

Happy to lure you back for a moment!

Now, I’m a bit surprised by the responses here. From what I gather here, y’all are happy with the amount of content, but unhappy in terms of what you would consider quality(guest characters being the turn off).

Full disclosure, I don’t mind guest characters. Never have. It’s just not a big deal for me. That being said, I absolutely agree that there was just TOO many guests in this game. I think while we all sat and impatiently waited for the KP2 trailer, not a single one of us could’ve predicted fucking Leatherface was going to hop out of the Dead Woods and jam a chainsaw through Quan Chi’s midsection. Then Alien of course made 4 guests. Maybe they figured jamming 4 cyborgs in one character would make up for it? We may never know.

Now, while I didn’t want or ask for Predator, Leatherface(who I honestly ended up enjoying) or Alien, I simply accepted their inclusion and moved on. Looking at it from your point of views, perhaps I wouldn’t be craving more content had more MK characters been made available. Havik would’ve been my end all, be all choice and a revenant Shao Kahn(as had been speculated was the being coming out of Quan Chi’s chamber) could’ve been so awesome.

I can appreciate that point of view. I don’t see guest characters going anywhere, but hopefully they pull the reigns back a bit and have a little more faith in their characters.

Maybe more characters aren’t the answer, but more costumes and stages are always appreciated. They could perhaps refresh the game a bit without altering the way the game is played or shoehorning extra “unwanted” guests.
ShaolinChuan
10/20/2017 06:20 AM (UTC)
Detox Wrote:
ShaolinChuan Wrote:

Happy to lure you back for a moment!

Now, I’m a bit surprised by the responses here. From what I gather here, y’all are happy with the amount of content, but unhappy in terms of what you would consider quality(guest characters being the turn off).

Full disclosure, I don’t mind guest characters. Never have. It’s just not a big deal for me. That being said, I absolutely agree that there was just TOO many guests in this game. I think while we all sat and impatiently waited for the KP2 trailer, not a single one of us could’ve predicted fucking Leatherface was going to hop out of the Dead Woods and jam a chainsaw through Quan Chi’s midsection. Then Alien of course made 4 guests. Maybe they figured jamming 4 cyborgs in one character would make up for it? We may never know.

Now, while I didn’t want or ask for Predator, Leatherface(who I honestly ended up enjoying) or Alien, I simply accepted their inclusion and moved on. Looking at it from your point of views, perhaps I wouldn’t be craving more content had more MK characters been made available. Havik would’ve been my end all, be all choice and a revenant Shao Kahn(as had been speculated was the being coming out of Quan Chi’s chamber) could’ve been so awesome.

I can appreciate that point of view. I don’t see guest characters going anywhere, but hopefully they pull the reigns back a bit and have a little more faith in their characters.

Maybe more characters aren’t the answer, but more costumes and stages are always appreciated. They could perhaps refresh the game a bit without altering the way the game is played or shoehorning extra “unwanted” guests.

I don't mind guest characters either, so long as they're minimal. As a matter of fact, I'm really excited for Hellboy in Injustice 2. I was really glad we got Freddy in MK9, it was more than welcome! He was a great surprise, but he was just simply 1 guest character.

I would've been happy with just Jason, (I think his model could've looked better), Predator was great. Alien and LF were very unnecessary IMO. When the whole MK kommunity wanted Fujin, whose character model was also already in the game, they gave us... well more guests. I am very happy to have had Bo Rai Cho and I LOVE Triborg, but still, things could have been way better if they steered more towards MK characters.
Detox
About Me

10/21/2017 02:10 AM (UTC)
ShaolinChuan Wrote:

I don't mind guest characters either, so long as they're minimal. As a matter of fact, I'm really excited for Hellboy in Injustice 2. I was really glad we got Freddy in MK9, it was more than welcome! He was a great surprise, but he was just simply 1 guest character.

I would've been happy with just Jason, (I think his model could've looked better), Predator was great. Alien and LF were very unnecessary IMO. When the whole MK kommunity wanted Fujin, whose character model was also already in the game, they gave us... well more guests. I am very happy to have had Bo Rai Cho and I LOVE Triborg, but still, things could have been way better if they steered more towards MK characters.

One per pack definitely would’ve been the sweet spot(if they insisted on guests for each Kombat pack). Makes me interested to know what characters were planned(if it truly existed at some point) for Kombat pack 3.
Hideo_Sakaguchi
About Me

Must kill Sub-Zero. Whee~

10/26/2017 04:52 PM (UTC)
Detox Wrote:
ShaolinChuan Wrote:

One per pack definitely would’ve been the sweet spot(if they insisted on guests for each Kombat pack). Makes me interested to know what characters were planned(if it truly existed at some point) for Kombat pack 3.

I don’t mind the guest characters (I actually think they are kinda funny and cool) but four of them was a bit excessive. I liked Freddy and Kratos a bunch in MK 9 but half of MK X’s DLC were guest characters. I kinda wish each Kombat Pack was 1 guest character, 2 returning characters, and 1 new character (or an obscure character or one based on an old rumor; ie Skarlet or Tremor).

I wish some of the better, and underused, 3D-era characters could get a second chance. I’d like to see Frost, Fujin, Nitara, Li Mei, or Sareena modernized and updated over Alien or Leatherface.

I’m happy with what we got and I feel that MK X has a strong roster (something like 33 characters now right?), especially with the three separate styles per character. I can’t say I feel the game is lacking in that department, even if I was disappointed with how guest-heavy KP2 was.

One thing I would have liked to see was some more stages as part of the content updates. The stages in MK X were a little lacking in my opinion. I would have liked to seen a couple of new stages thrown in (maybe pulled from MK 4?).

I do feel that Injustice 2 pulled away from MK X but at the same time I also feel that MK X was a complete game too so I can’t really complain too much. NetherRealm has also been a “finish X and start on Y” kind of a studio though. I mean they’ve shipped eight games from 2002-2017, an average of one every two years. This is in sharp contrast to say Capcom, who traditionally shipped new installments once every five or so years but continued to update the games over a period of multiple years.

Between the two I like the way NetherRealm does it a bit more because at least I get a new game every two years instead of upgrades and enhanced versions for the next four or so years. I mean ideally the new NetherRealm game will ship and the majority of the team will dive headfirst into the next game while a small portion of the studio (or an outside studio) works on updates for the next year or so to keep the current game fresh.
Pages: 1
Download on the App StoreGet it on Google Play
© 1998-2024 Shadow Knight Media, LLC. All rights reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Mortal Kombat, the dragon logo and all character names are trademarks and copyright of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.