A unified Earthrealm makes for dull storytelling...
posted01/19/2018 03:45 AM (UTC)by
Detox
About Me

You work with what you got...not what you hope for.

One of my biggest complaints about MKX’ story was the folding of most earth factions into the Special Forces. The shaolin, Shirai Ryu, Lin Kuei, hell...even Johnny Cage is walking around in SF gear. We’ve lost all identity and motivations for these factions, thus, losing the tension these uneasy alliances carried in the past.

The most tension we got in MKX as far as Earthrealm was the pissing contest between Kung Jin and the truly terrible Cassie Cage, oh and the terribly forced tension between everyone’s favorite divorcées, Sonya and Johnny. Hell even the tried and true Sub vs Scorp feud got swept under the rug in an incredibly convenient filler chapter.

My point here ultimately remains, as the subject title states: A unified Earthrealm makes for dull storytelling. Hopefully, with Raiden going rogue, we’ll get to see dissention amongst the ranks. More characters with selfish motivations other than “the good of Earthrealm” will get their time to shine. But ultimately, that these characters can build upon their own identities rather than assuming the role of “SF grunt #12”.

Mortal Kombat, despite the ultimate outcomes either way, has always been a story of selfish beings hoping to use their victory to accomplish their own gains. A unified Earthrealm hinders and ultimately derails a lot of what was enjoyable about the story in the past.
lastfighter89
01/01/2018 04:06 PM (UTC)
You're facing destruction, invasion, death, with very few people protecting Earth... and you want a divided humankind?
This is not Marvel, MK was always about factions rather than single heroes.
Detox
About Me

01/01/2018 07:17 PM (UTC)
lastfighter89 Wrote:
You're facing destruction, invasion, death, with very few people protecting Earth... and you want a divided humankind?

Factions with their OWN motivations, consisting of individuals hungry for fame, honor, power, money, etc. Of course the factions of Earthrealm will always unite in the last act, but consolidating these factions under one convenient umbrella is counterproductive to a compelling story and ultimately bypasses conflict for the sake of simplicity.

Just look at the original timeline’s factions...

The Shaolin- warriors of light and protectors of Earthrealm.

Black Dragon- criminal organization with no loyalty to anything other than money.

Lin Kuei- an assassin clan with no real allegiance to Earthrealm. Concerned more with clan dominance.

Special Forces- basically the American military before the revelation of other realms beyond Earthrealm.

Four factions, with different interests, that ultimately give way to wildly contrasting characters (Kano, Lin Kang, Sonya, Sub Zero).

Under the current Special Forces setup, the hero’s are basically just smashed into the same mold.
lastfighter89
01/03/2018 12:20 AM (UTC)
Detox Wrote:
lastfighter89 Wrote:

Factions with their OWN motivations, consisting of individuals hungry for fame, honor, power, money, etc. Of course the factions of Earthrealm will always unite in the last act, but consolidating these factions under one convenient umbrella is counterproductive to a compelling story and ultimately bypasses conflict for the sake of simplicity.

Just look at the original timeline’s factions...

The Shaolin- warriors of light and protectors of Earthrealm.

Black Dragon- criminal organization with no loyalty to anything other than money.

Lin Kuei- an assassin clan with no real allegiance to Earthrealm. Concerned more with clan dominance.

Special Forces- basically the American military before the revelation of other realms beyond Earthrealm.

Four factions, with different interests, that ultimately give way to wildly contrasting characters (Kano, Lin Kang, Sonya, Sub Zero).

Under the current Special Forces setup, the hero’s are basically just smashed into the same mold.

Man, you're partially right.
But MK is for a good 99ï1⁄4... just a good vs evil story.
In the end every earthrealmer/edenian is gonne be best friends ever.

Plus, MKX was just the introduction.
MK X worked pretty much as the Avengers 2012 movie.
In due time the SF will part ways, live their brief solo adventures, then the "I'm sorry" part will play and they reunite to face the next big guy for the gran finale.

Ultimately, no matter how much you will complain for MK X focus on SF or lack of bright colors, you will find someone else who likes MK X's style more.
tabmok99
About Me

For the most in-depth, in-detail, Mortal Kombat lore analysis vids, there's only one source:

https://www.youtube.com/tabmok99

01/04/2018 03:27 PM (UTC)
Is Earthrealm really unified, though? We haven't really explored the potential rifts. As MK matures and becomes more international than ever (with Brazilian soccer team and Kold War variants for our heroes in MKX) there is one question - how do other Earthrealm countries feel about the US's handling of interdimensional threats?

As I see it - Russia would back Mileena, while the US backs Kotal Kahn, thus allowing the two countries to fight a proxy war. It's the Outworld citizens who pay the price as their civil war escalates thanks to outsiders each taking a side.
Detox
About Me

01/04/2018 06:59 PM (UTC)
Indeed, I do generalize a bit in saying earthrealm is unified, but I don't believe NRS will ever get that "meta" with the story its trying to tell.

We're always gonna end up with this vague tapestry of nationalities attached to factions, as opposed to rival nations, that are already established within MK's reality. Which goes back to the point, the factions are, more or less, unified.
tabmok99
About Me

For the most in-depth, in-detail, Mortal Kombat lore analysis vids, there's only one source:

https://www.youtube.com/tabmok99

01/04/2018 08:05 PM (UTC)
The only hint we got so far that not all of Earthrealm's nations are unified concerns the Chinese government - the surgeon who performed Hsu Hao's heart surgery (and Kano's eye surgery) is on the Chinese government's payroll. So there's that.

I agree with you that this would be a fun topic to explore further. If you look at real history going back to the Eastern Bloc right up til today with Syria, you can see how these smaller countries become battlefields for larger countries to fight for power and dominance over each other. A subplot in the next MK devoted to one country (or several) allying itself (themselves) with a realm that the USSF/OIA considers an enemy could make for an interesting twist!
Thatoneguy
01/05/2018 10:11 AM (UTC)
I honestly like seeing a unified Earthrealm for once. Sure, they don't all have to be in SF gear, but I really appreciate the change in story, and I highly doubt that it will remain this way.

I assume a lot of Earthrealmers are going to be upset with Raiden's shenanigans in the next game (not me though, I hope he messes everyone up, just to get people to stop screwing with Earthrealm. Heck, I'd even like to see Earthrealm start invading other realms.)
frabn
About Me

Well, you all got your Tremor now. Can we finally move on?

01/19/2018 03:45 AM (UTC)
There were many Special Forces operatives: Johnny, Sonya, Kenshi, Jacqui, Cassie and Kung Jin. Takeda was more of a wild card, with his loyalty first to the Shirai Ryu. Jax simply came out of retirement to crack some skulls. He didn't exactly rejoin. The Shirai Ryu and Lin Kuei didn't join SF, nor did the White Lotus. They allied, and were unified in that sense, but there are plenty of Earthrealm factions to worry about:

Black Dragon
Red Dragon
Cyber Lin-Kuei/Tekunin (assuming it still exists)

I wouldn't be surprised if we were looking at a full-fledged Black Dragon vs Red Dragon storyline playing out in the next game, with Earthrealm and the other realms caught in the middle. I know it was kind of annoying to see everyone on a single faction, but they had a story to tell.

Also, the Sub/Scorp feud wasn't swept under the rug. In probably one of the greatest moments in the history of MK mythos, they became allies. It could've been expanded upon further, and deserved its own chapter just to explore that new alliance, but the seeds are there.
Pages: 1
Download on the App StoreGet it on Google Play
© 1998-2024 Shadow Knight Media, LLC. All rights reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Mortal Kombat, the dragon logo and all character names are trademarks and copyright of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.