Site Network Movies Fan Submission Community Media Games News
There are 4 users online.
Username: Password: Save:
MK Online    Kommunity    Show Message
Join MK Online Free or become a Flawless Member for special benefits.
MK Online Site Updates
  • December 16th, 2018
    Presenting Concert Footage & Interview with Kung Lao & Others! [Read On]
  • December 16th, 2018
    Motion Capture Artists Share Behind-The-Scenes Pics, Vids [Read On]
  • December 14th, 2018
    Best Buy Remove Liu Kang & Sub-Zero From MK11 Listing [Read On]
  • December 13th, 2018
    Record Speedrunner Beats MK3 In Under 5 Minutes [Read On]
  • December 13th, 2018
    Todd McFarlane Thinks Spawn Will Be in Mortal Kombat 11 [Read On]

MK Online User Poll

MK11 Trailer MVP?
Raiden (31.7%)
Scorpion (20.5%)
Shao Kahn (21.4%)
Mystery Character (26.1%)

Forum Listings

Site Themes
You must be logged in to
select themes.

MKO on Twitter

Fan Submission

Discussing and Sharing Works by MKOmmunity Members.
Page of 2

]{0MBATPosted: 05/19/2018 08:34 PMStatus ::
Book of Souls Kombat Encyclopaedia Now Free eBook

What began as the "Mortal Kombat Encyclopaedia" has become The Book of Souls. This passion project from MK Online forum user Ninja_Arts has evolved from a simple fan petition, to a proof of concept pitch for interested bookmakers, DK Publishing.

It hasn't reached final publication, but Mortal Kombat Online has followed the book's journey, including a limited printed sample viewed at the inaugural Kombat Kon. Now everyone can see the final version as an electronic eBook viewable at the new Uppercut Editions website! Check out some preview pages below:

Available to view at no charge, The Book of Souls is loaded with photographs of actors from the classic games, 3D renders from the newer releases, and artists’ sketches from every iteration of the franchise. There's also in-fiction biographical information on all the characters, backgrounds, and relics that have appearance in the games, and multimedia adaptations.

Not content with merely restating in-game text and story modes, the team behind the fan-produced book have also acquired clarifications from key development staff, including: John Tobias (series co-creator), John Vogel (artist & writer), and Mortal Kombat X tie-in comic book writer Shawn Kittelsen.

At the present time, ordering a print copy is still an impossibility -- it strictly remains a passion project available online. Fans of the eBook are still able to show support for an officially published tome by signing the petition. To date, Warner Brothers and NetherRealm Studios have opted not to pursue the item.

Register to share your impressions and interest in The Book of Souls on the Media & Merchandise forum! Help spread the word by liking & sharing this story on Twitter and Facebook!

trynaxPosted: 05/20/2018 12:38 AMStatus ::

Visits::320
Nationality::United States
RE: Book of Souls Kombat Encyclopaedia Now Free eBook

Not too bad but as a fan there is a lot of stuff missing from this version and if I wanted someone who is not a fan to know about these pieces of information I'd put them into the book.

717313=Rain Can Be Found In The Graveyard
wdm6789Posted: 05/20/2018 02:23 AMStatus ::

Visits::22

Edenians should have their own article on the species page. Edenians are not humans, Edenians are Edenians. Humans are from Earthrealm. Edenians are from Edenia.

Gillbob316Posted: 05/20/2018 02:27 AMStatus ::

Visits::4358

I understand this was a passion project, and it's clear a great deal of work went into it. And that's commendable. SO for that the book has my praise and admiration. BUT that said, it's far from perfect. So... while I appreciate the work that went into it, I have a lot of notes. I say these things more for the sake of improvement, and not just to be critical for the sake of being critical.

I used to do a lot of editing and proofreading back in the day...

I gave the whole book a once over. Not a thorough read, but I thumbed through every page, and I found a LOT of errors, without even looking for them. I don't mean objective story errors, that might be considered a matter of opinion. I mean cut and dry grammatical errors. Typos. Spelling mistakes. It's pretty clear this thing hasn't been thoroughly proofread.

I find many of the image choices questionable or bad. There are a lot of good images in the book, but I'd still cut several. Many of the full page pics are clearly blown up larger than they should be, and are grainy and pixelated as a result. I saw what appeared to be a few pieces of fanart here and there that I'd advise removing completely, I appreciate the official concept art, but fanart is out of place in an encyclopedia. Especially the large two page spread of several different Scorpions and Sub-Zeros... that struck me as very out of place... and it doesn't match the aesthetic of the rest of the book (the two pages don't even match one another, which is jarring). I also disliked the photoshop character collage that kicks off the character section. Bad photoshop is bad. Too many clashing art styles and light sources in that collage. Just use the standard Armageddon roster image.

For bad image examples see Mokap, Moloch, Kobra, Kira, Kai (Dear god especially Kai, that pic is terrible. A grainy closeup of hands and crotches is NOT a good full page image choice.)

I don't like the little flavor taglines in the upper righthand corner of some of the profiles. They come of very fan-fic cheesy. Take Jax for instance, "The Special Forces Major" that's... terrible. And making them all start with "The" sounds so cookie cutter forced. And some of them, when removed from context, are misleading... Mileena's for instance "The Queen of Outworld" ... that's debatable. She's the self proclaimed and heavily disputed Emperess (*Cough* Not Queen *Cough*) of Outworld, after the far more prominent and well known emperor dies. She literally spends half a game KINDA having the title... and then dies. It's not like that's her defining character trait. ANYWAY I'd just delete these flavor blurbs entirely as they're... not well executed in many cases. And furthermore half the characters don't have one to begin with.

I hate the "real name" section of every profile, because the majority of them don't give an actual real name, which runs contrary to the point of having a real name listed. Somehow I REALLY doubt Frost's "real name" is Frost... anyone who doesn't have a confirmed real name should just say unknown or unrevealed. Don't put an obvious codename into the "Real Name" section just because you lack a real name. Furthermore some of them aren't even correct. Kenshi's just says Kenshi, but we KNOW Kenshi's full name.

I'd rename the Kanvas images "Koncepts" because... that's what they are. What does Kanvas even mean? It's silly. Many of them aren't paintings. Digital art and drawings aren't done on canvas. ANYWAY... I like the use of official concept art. I dislike the ones that are partially cropped comic book art or fan art (See Jarek, Reiko). Bo Rai Cho has an actual 3D render of his Deadly Alliance alt costume, for reasons I don't understand. Anyway, I'd keep the Kanvas sections, but ditch/replace a few of them.

Speaking of 3D renders, a couple look like they were taken from model viewers, and don't look good. Jade is one of the most obvious offenders... I'd steer clear of her mobile model and just use a high quality MK9 render. Nightwolf also looks unusually poor. (Nevermind all the PS2 era renders, many of those look poor, but I understand why. MK9 and MKX era characters have no excuse. High quality renders exist for most of them.)

I appreciate the idea behind the Kombat Threads, but I think a lot of them are poorly done. I scrolled past many and said, "Why did they leave out this game" or "Why did the leave out this alt?" only to eventually find ALL the missing costumes were haphazardly thrown into the final pages of the book, which struck me as needless and sloppy. I'm ASSUMING the ones that were skipped were skipped due to space issues, as it's hard to fit every costume for some characters... but the way they were all just tacked on at the end with little rhyme or reason was bad. I think there was some decent logic shown in leaving out the ones you did for the most part... but... I'd just cut the pages at the end. Don't really need the random "here's all the costumes we skipped for no reason" pages. ... Also I'd break Noob's into two sections separating Sub-Zero and Noob. It's weird visually to jump from one to the other. Makes for a disjointed visual timeline. (Possibly the same for Smoke, though he's a little more forgivable)

Some of the portions I read were okay. Some were poorly written. Some seemed lifted from in-game text verbatim, which I kind-of disliked. I'm pretty sure I saw at least one paragraph I wrote myself lifted from the MK wiki. ... Anyway... I feel like the writing lacked unity, for those reasons. But. Again, it's a passion project... so. *Shrug* I think this is another area where the book would benefit from a thorough proofread. Sometimes having one person sit down and do edits to the whole thing is a good way to find paragraphs that make you go, "Wow, that sounds stupid" do some re-writes, and bring more narrative unity to the piece as a whole.

Finally, I hate that only a couple characters (Quan Chi, Sub-Zero) got 4 pages. If at all possible, I'd Edit them down to 2. I understand why some of the characters with lighter bios would only need 1 plus a full-page pic. But if you're devoting 4 pages to a character in a book where EVERY other character has 2... you're not Smacking him hard enough with the edit stick.

This made me ask, "How did they get Raiden and Scorpion into 2 pages, if not these two?" so I looked at Raiden and Scorpion and noticed their bios are much longer paragraphs, with smaller text, wheras Quan Chi and Sub-Zero have theirs broken up into several paragraphs of larger text. Honestly I think I prefer multiple paragraphs. I dislike how Raiden's runs together as one long block. So... I dunno. Pros and cons both ways. But still, I'd try harder to parse those two down to two pages.

ANYWAY...

That's my pile of unsolicited notes. I don't mean to be a jerk... just... calling'em like I see'em really. Again... I appreciate the hell out of this project, and would love to see a more polished version in print one day. So thanks a ton to its creators for trying to get the ball rolling.

AlienspawnPosted: 05/20/2018 02:32 AMStatus ::

Visits::0

Buen día, saludos dsd Mexico. Cómo puedo conseguir una impresión física de este g niña libro, me encanto el concepto e imágenes que le insertaron. Esta genial todo el armarte incluido y pues también deseo obtener las imágenes de las arenas en HD, ojalá me den o puedan proporcionar los link si para poder descargar las imágenes.

Saludos cordiales!!

Ninja_ArtsPosted: 05/20/2018 06:42 AMStatus ::

Visits::10624

Gillbob316 Wrote:
I understand this was a passion project, and it's clear a great deal of work went into it. And that's commendable. SO for that the book has my praise and admiration. BUT that said, it's far from perfect. So... while I appreciate the work that went into it, I have a lot of notes. I say these thinsg more for the sake of improvement, and not just to be critical for the sake of being critical.

I used to do a lot of editing and proofreading back in the day...

I gave the whole book a once over. Not a thorough read, but I thumbed through every page, and I found a LOT of errors, without even looking for them. I don't mean objective story errors, that might be considered a matter of opinion. I mean cut and dry grammatical errors. Typos. Spelling mistakes. It's pretty clear this thing hasn't been thoroughly proofread.

I find many of the image choices questionable or bad. There are a lot of good images in the book, but I'd still cut several. Many of the full page pics are clearly blown up larger than they should be, and are grainy and pixelated as a result. I saw what appeared to be a few pieces of fanart here and there that I'd advise removing completely, I appreciate the official concept art, but fanart is out of place in an encyclopedia. Especially the large two page spread of several different Scorpions and Sub-Zeros... that struck me as very out of place... and it doesn't match the aesthetic of the rest of the book (the two pages don't even match one another, which is jarring). I also disliked the photoshop character collage that kicks off the character section. Bad photoshop is bad. Too many clashing art styles and light sources in that collage. Just use the standard Armageddon roster image.

For bad image examples see Mokap, Moloch, Kobra, Kira, Kai (Dear god especially Kai, that pic is terrible. A grainy closeup of hands and crotches is NOT a good full page image choice.)

I don't like the little flavor taglines in the upper righthand corner of some of the profiles. They come of very fan-fic cheesy. Take Jax for instance, "The Special Forces Major" that's... terrible. And making them all start with "The" sounds so cookie cutter forced. And some of them, when removed from context, are misleading... Mileena's for instance "The Queen of Outworld" ... that's debatable. She's the self proclaimed and heavily disputed Emperess (*Cough* Not Queen *Cough*) of Outworld, after the far more prominent and well known emperor dies. She literally spends half a game KINDA having the title... and then dies. It's not like that's her defining character trait. ANYWAY I'd just delete these flavor blurbs entirely as they're... not well executed in many cases. And furthermore half the characters don't have one to begin with.

I hate the "real name" section of every profile, because the majority of them don't give an actual real name, which runs contrary to the point of having a real name listed. Somehow I REALLY doubt Frost's "real name" is Frost... anyone who doesn't have a confirmed real name should just say unknown or unrevealed. Don't put an obvious codename into the "Real Name" section just because you lack a real name. Furthermore some of them aren't even correct. Kenshi's just says Kenshi, but we KNOW Kenshi's full name.

I'd rename the Kanvas images "Koncepts" because... that's what they are. What does Kanvas even mean? It's silly. Many of them aren't paintings. Digital art and drawings aren't done on canvas. ANYWAY... I like the use of official concept art. I dislike the ones that are partially cropped comic book art or fan art (See Jarek, Reiko). Bo Rai Cho has an actual 3D render of his Deadly Alliance alt costume, for reasons I don't understand. Anyway, I'd keep the Kanvas sections, but ditch/replace a few of them.

Speaking of 3D renders, a couple look like they were taken from model viewers, and don't look good. Jade is one of the most obvious offenders... I'd steer clear of her mobile model and just use a high quality MK9 render. Nightwolf also looks unusually poor. (Nevermind all the PS2 era renders, many of those look poor, but I understand why. MK9 and MKX era characters have no excuse. High quality renders exist for most of them.)

I appreciate the idea behind the Kombat Threads, but I think a lot of them are poorly done. I scrolled past many and said, "Why did they leave out this game" or "Why did the leave out this alt?" only to eventually find ALL the missing costumes were haphazardly thrown into the final pages of the book, which struck me as needless and sloppy. I'm ASSUMING the ones that were skipped were skipped due to space issues, as it's hard to fit every costume for some characters... but the way they were all just tacked on at the end with little rhyme or reason was bad. I think there was some decent logic shown in leaving out the ones you did for the most part... but... I'd just cut the pages at the end. Don't really need the random "here's all the costumes we skipped for no reason" pages. ... Also I'd break Noob's into two sections separating Sub-Zero and Noob. It's weird visually to jump from one to the other. Makes for a disjointed visual timeline. (Possibly the same for Smoke, though he's a little more forgivable)

Some of the portions I read were okay. Some were poorly written. Some seemed lifted from in-game text verbatim, which I kind-of disliked. I'm pretty sure I saw at least one paragraph I wrote myself lifted from the MK wiki. ... Anyway... I feel like the writing lacked unity, for those reasons. But. Again, it's a passion project... so. *Shrug* I think this is another area where the book would benefit from a thorough proofread. Sometimes having one person sit down and do edits to the whole thing is a good way to find paragraphs that make you go, "Wow, that sounds stupid" do some re-writes, and bring more narrative unity to the piece as a whole.

Finally, I hate that only a couple characters (Quan Chi, Sub-Zero) got 4 pages. If at all possible, I'd Edit them down to 2. I understand why some of the characters with lighter bios would only need 1 plus a full-page pic. But if you're devoting 4 pages to a character in a book where EVERY other character has 2... you're not Smacking him hard enough with the edit stick.

This made me ask, "How did they get Raiden and Scorpion into 2 pages, if not these two?" so I looked at Raiden and Scorpion and noticed their bios are much longer paragraphs, with smaller text, wheras Quan Chi and Sub-Zero have theirs broken up into several paragraphs of larger text. Honestly I think I prefer multiple paragraphs. I dislike how Raiden's runs together as one long block. So... I dunno. Pros and cons both ways. But still, I'd try harder to parse those two down to two pages.

ANYWAY...

That's my pile of unsolicited notes. I don't mean to be a jerk... just... calling'em like I see'em really. Again... I appreciate the hell out of this project, and would love to see a more polished version in print one day. So thanks a ton to its creators for trying to get the ball rolling.

Hey! Thanks for the feedback.

The reason the book is online is because we wanted people to have a limited time viewing it and giving us feedback. As you'll see toward the end, our team is fairly small and we had help from a ton of various sources - but unfortunately everyone works full time and has different life circumstances, so I completely understand where the disjointed stuff comes from - I probably just missed it.

Let me speak to some of the comments -

Fan Art in the Book - The fan art in the book was commissioned for us by people who loved the project, so we weren't going to say no. It was specifically done for this project. While the Scorpion / Sub Zero was by two different artists, we wanted to show something vastly different from the other. So, no - that won't be removed.

Alternate Character Section - We wanted the book to feel complete - and you can't really do that when a majority of people generally prefer the alts over some of the primary. While they may not be essentially canon, they needed to be represented. Could we have done it better? Sure. Did we do it in the way we thought would showcase them similar to how we did our Threads of War sections - Yes.

Renders - We generally for most, if not all - aside from Jarek - went with the character's newest look, and that includes characters like Kai who don't have much out there. Jade was casualty of "newest" look. And yes, we did take some right from character model viewers, because they didn't have a decent enough render to use, because we weren't using "artwork" as their main profile picture. So that was the design choice there.

Sub & Quan vs Raiden & Scorp - We had a limited amount of space in general to work with and we could have essentially expanded those 2 characters to 4, however some things we had to go "can we cut this down, or this?" and we felt that we were comfortable with the choice we made there. Now that you look at it, we probably should have allotted each of those characters 4 because of their involvement within the story.

I appreciate the feedback - and you're more than welcome to join our team to help us construct and fix these things should you ever want to. Thanks!

Maybe one day I'll probably make more of an impact than you'll ever fake. Sign the official petition for an MK LORE ENCYCLOPEDIA: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/553/418/526/mk-fans-unite-we-want-an-mk-lore-encyclopedia/?taf_id=13672050&cid=fb_na#
AJBluePosted: 05/20/2018 08:33 AMStatus ::

Visits::5721

Nice work. Really commendable with the amount of work you guys have put into it.

wdm6789Posted: 05/20/2018 10:52 AMStatus ::

Visits::22

I also noticed on Jade’s page, it said she was a “slave.” That doesn’t seem accurate. She was a high ranking member of Shao Khan’s court, like Kitana.

The_TooCool_MasterPosted: 05/20/2018 11:54 AMStatus ::

Visits::2369
Nationality::Canada

Hey Gillbob.

You got a reply from our project manager Ninja_Arts. I'd also like to chime in as the main designer.

One thing that needs to be said outright is that there was never any plan to make a full book. What started as a petition turned into concepts and small books all to attract WB's attention and show them fans wanted it but since they didn't seem interested we kept working and working until it just made sense to finish it. It is the first book we ever made.

The book, in its current format, is a fine fan project, but if we had managed to acquire the rights to publish it there's no way it would be the version getting printed. Like you said there's a lot of low quality screenshots. It takes a long time to gather assets and not everyone on the team had every game handy. The full pages we tried to use ending pictures that related to that particular character. There's actually not a lot high quality stuff for those particular pictures. Wouldn't have gone to print with those for sure.

We had 4 different persons working on the text including one who's English isn't his first language (me). All the texts were reviewed but we might have missed some errors. Every text was meant to be new. If some stuff seems copied from the game or wikia it definitely wasn't supposed to. The big paragraphs like in Raiden and Kitana's bios are definitely terrible and we'd like to do away with them. We just don't have the time or ressources to further edit and cut down the text.

The flavor tag lines I actually forgot to remove them. The book will be updated on Tuesday without them. It is pretty cheesy. I'll also change Kanvas to Koncept. That's much better. Also, point taken for real names.

There's actually no good render for Jade, Stryker, Kabal, Sektor, Nightwolf and a few others. Some of a high quality artwork but we wanted the 3d renders so we resorted to Model Viewer in their artwork pose. Again, something we wouldn't have gone to print with. We figured with an official book NRS would have the assets somewhere.

We'd love to have a proofreader on the team. If you want to help we'd be more than happy to bring you in. We have other projects coming and we could definitely use an additional hand but there's still a few stuff I feel could be better text wise in the kurrent MK book. Drop us a word on our Facebook page I'd you're interested.

Gillbob316Posted: 05/20/2018 12:15 PMStatus ::

Visits::4358

@Ninja_Arts

EDIT: Also @The_TooCool_Master, who responded while I was typing this response, lol...

I didn't want to quote your last post, because it would have brought mine with it and it would be... long, haha.

Is it possible to get a .pdf of this? (If there was a way to download it from the site, I missed it. I saw a print button, but not a download button.)

I totally get that many of my comments were partially based in opinion or personal preference, and I gave my 2 cents, so I won't harp on most of it.

BUT...

Opinions aside.

There were a ton of times I was scrubbing through when I said to myself, "I wish I could take a highlighter to this thing" because I wanted to point out errors, notes or things that just looked bad or sounded weird to me. (Which I could do w/ a .pdf copy)... my previous post was just my broadest most general thoughts, with a few examples. Imagine if I went into detail, lol.

Like I said, I used to do a lot of proofreading... I'd be interested in diving in-depth with a copy of this and really... marking up the hell out of it, haha. Much like your team, I have a full time job, so it would be something I'd have to do on the side, when I found the time for it. SO I totally understand that side of it. I frankly felt terrible laying on all the criticism I did, because as I said, I know it's a passion project, and I hate to rip into people who are doing this as fans, for fans, on their own time, for no money. BELIEVE ME I appreciate the hell out of all the work you put in. I just think it needs polishing.

Again, I can't promise I'd be timely or even finish the whole book cover to cover. Because I'd mostly just be doing it in my spare time. But all the same, I imagine I'll continue to read through it, and I wish I had a copy I could... write notes on, essentially.

[Killswitch]Posted: 05/20/2018 05:01 PMStatus ::

Visits::19268

I'm really happy this is still a thing happening. Very dedicated. Good work, Ninja. Keep at it. I have nothing to add that hasn't been covered by Gillbob's post so I'll leave it at that.

Shao Kahn did nothing wrong
trynaxPosted: 05/20/2018 10:18 PMStatus ::

Visits::320

Besides text of Fatalities photos of them would be better. Also I've noticed that under Sub-Zero's it doesn't talk too much of his MKII finishers unless I missed it. It would be cool to have a section for the character endings too.

717313=Rain Can Be Found In The Graveyard
asmodeusPosted: 05/21/2018 11:08 AMStatus ::

Visits::4768

@Ninja_Arts @The_TooCool_Master

Great Job! I like the design over all, and the colors... It is true that some of the assets are low rez, but yeah, as a Fan Project, and not being able to get access to all the OG artwork, I can see how tough it may be to get those. Overall I like the book though, wish I could print it and REALLY go over it with a fine tooth comb, but yeah, at the end of the day I'm glad it is here.

Question: where can we give in-depth feedback if we feel so inclined?

Looking over the Quan Chi section I was just struck by the line "Quan Chi died when the Thunder God exploded..." Did Quan Chi die? It was never stated, and a lot of evidence points to that he escaped the blast. It's stuff like that that I'd like to point to if I find more discrepancies.

Another discrepancy is how the One Being's story isn't the lead off for the overall MK story, and in the 'Minor Characters" section (should be "Kharacters" btw), the summary of the OB reads that it is only a legend in the lore. The OB is the OB, meaning that the Kamidogu were created to combat the OB, and the OB's shattered being/consciousness IS the Realms. That stuff happened in the timeline.

Ninja_ArtsPosted: 05/22/2018 09:31 AMStatus ::

We appreciate the feedback, guys. Really.

Our team worked hard on this thing for 2+ years and there was so much that went into everything we did. It wasn't just about the book - the trailer we did with Richard Epcar, the pitch books, the T shirts, the streams, the promotional stuff and pitching this thing to literally every publisher only to have WB say "Eh not right now."

We do plan to send something to NRS in the next couple weeks. The feedback we have gotten from several NRS folks on the book is exceptional.

And alot of the things we have in the book that you may not see as "right" - we did verify a lot of information with Tobias, Vogel and Kittelsen, for their respective timelines, so take that into consideration.

Thanks again, guys!

Maybe one day I'll probably make more of an impact than you'll ever fake. Sign the official petition for an MK LORE ENCYCLOPEDIA: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/553/418/526/mk-fans-unite-we-want-an-mk-lore-encyclopedia/?taf_id=13672050&cid=fb_na#
The_TooCool_MasterPosted: 05/22/2018 10:42 AMStatus ::

More importantly, we're not infailliable. If there are some obvious lore mistakes in there we'll fix them. Thanks for the feedback!

DetoxPosted: 05/23/2018 09:49 AMStatus ::

Visits::4333

I’ve thumbed through it once and I gotta say, I did it with a big ole smile on my face. As gillbob pointed out, it’s rough around the edges. But the spirit and love is there and I absolutely appreciate all the work it must’ve taken to get this far. Hopefully you guys can see it through to print. I’d love to own one.

redmanPosted: 05/23/2018 01:11 PMStatus ::

Visits::4741

Glad to see it finally come through at least in some fashion. Took a small glimpse through some of it and it seems solid. Hope this gains it some traction.

gorostilllivesPosted: 05/24/2018 12:47 PMStatus ::

Visits::4993

I agree with a lot of the feedback reflecting the errors. In short, it's nothing more than a graphical representation of what Jason Shrearer started decades ago.

I get that this is more of a conservative take on the work, meaning you left out official biographies and endings from every game and just summarized them. It's definitely a nice item to make sense of the lore but definitely is no means exhaustive. Perhaps that's the route MK archives are going these days?

Yes the photos were definitely the first things I noticed. The screenshots from the movies and books weren't too inspiring either.

As a Movie/Media archivist I couldn't help but to note: 1) There was no love for the Midway comics that game with the MK1 and Mk4 games that I could see and 2) No mention of either FOMA or The Live Tour. 3) A merchandise section and Kombat Klub reference could have been nice. I also believe MKDOTR was missing some information that I had provided through the MKBible I uploaded years ago and still have at wskel.com/MK

As an encyclopedia for online viewing it works as just another fan-driven passion project that, unlike many before it, aimed for for completion. I think what many of us fans want is a Bible and obviously self-publishing limits color books to just over 800 pages so I don't see it coming anytime soon.

The_TooCool_MasterPosted: 05/25/2018 05:24 PMStatus ::

The main point of our encyclopedia has always been the lore. Who are these characters? What can do they? What do they fight for? Where do they fight? The lore has a lot of small elements that sometime contradict each other so the point was to make sense of it all and have a reference book. We fleshed it out with info about the game themselves and a few other things.

For a 250 pages book done by mostly 4 people in their free time, we're very proud of it. And we still plan on fixing its shortcomings thanks to people's feedback.

But....

Yeah, it doesn't have official bios and endings. Some sections could be fleshed out more. Maybe we're missing a few things here and there. But a 800+ pages bible? You're never gonna get that until you do it yourself. Maybe as a Mortal Kombat archivist this has no values to you but that's because you're not the kind of person this was made for.

gorostilllivesPosted: 05/26/2018 04:08 AMStatus ::

I'm suspecting you have no clue who I am and have missed the pinned post from me in Media/Merch...

Ninja_ArtsPosted: 05/26/2018 11:23 PMStatus ::

gorostilllives Wrote:
I'm suspecting you have no clue who I am and have missed the pinned post from me in Media/Merch...

A lot to unpack there! I appreciate the follow up and feedback.

We aren't trying to compare or compete with you, and while your suggestion of a "Bible" is super cool, it's just not what we were going for. We wanted a coffee table book that went into the actual MK lore inside the game. Our initial pitch books / prototypes (ala the Book of Remembrance) was behind the scenes stuff. We put SOME in this book, but we didn't want it to be what it was solely about.

We know that the images are low-res, and we did what we could to re-situate things to make sense. In fact, we didn't use anything from your archives at all. We didn't want our book to be about the movies, cartoons, etc - Sure, we wanted to mention them and point things out, but the bulk and meat and potatoes of our book is in game lore. We initially intended to do several volumes, but it's just not possible.

Kudos to you for doing all of that stuff yourself, but we have kids, full time jobs, some of us two jobs. I almost solely paid for things behind this book ( Printing prototypes, t shirts, promotional materials, etc) and I pitched this book to every publisher - all wanted a piece, but that's not a surprise. WB, however was. I've been out to Chicago to meet with NRS twice now to pitch the book now. Possibly three times should we get a follow up. We did this as a team because we wanted to. We're fans of the series, just like you. You don't like the book? Then don't bother with it and move on. Want to help? That would be tremendous, I'd appreciate it. Simple as that.

Tobias isn't on board - We just consulted with him and asked him questions about holes in the old time line lore, things that weren't readily available. We wanted answers to things from different folks - Kittelsen for the comics, and someone who is still actively writing for the studio, Vogel from someone who has been there for quite some time and knows both timelines to an extent, and Tobias for old time line.

That being said, we'll take your suggestions and get things ironed out - shouldn't be all that hard, but I think you need to really take a look in the mirror before saying we are doing this for us being "proud of ourselves", when you start by saying " you must not know who i am...", come on man...We're all MK fans here. We did something that folks clearly want. NRS has been willing to sit down and discuss the book with us, means we're getting somewhere. And before you say it's for job security, Brian Goodman is technically a WB Marketing Manager, so I guess we speak openly with WB, too.

All that being said, we knew the majority of the MK die-hards would look at this thing negatively, but we did it anyway. So I guess we did it as much for us as we did for the MK fans who will appreciate it.

The_TooCool_MasterPosted: 05/27/2018 12:47 AMStatus ::

Really don't appreciate you belittling us seeing as you don't appear to know anything about the history behind the project. You in particular should know the work that went solely into writing all of it.

I reply to most criticism because I respect people's opinions and I want to explain why some things are the way they are. I take everything seriously and have already made notes of changes to make to the book, even about things I replied to.

You obviously haven't been following the project. All it started as was a petition, a few mock-ups and the hopes that WB or NRS would be interested in doing it. Then the ball kept rolling and rolling and we ended up doing more and more mock-ups until it just made sense to finish it. If a petition and mock-ups don't convince anyone, maybe an example of what a full book could look and feel like would.

As the designer of this book(and as a graphic designer in my main job) I'm fully aware of how printing works. As a concept/pitch book we cut corners to fill in the blanks. Not a single picture on the book is above 72dpi. It doesn't matter right now seeing as WB is breathing down our neck to make sure this is not printed and sold.

I'll gladly take your advice of justifying the text though. It was one of the things I considered at first but never ended up doing it.

gorostilllivesPosted: 05/27/2018 09:16 PMStatus ::

I'll rephrase this to be more constructive. The line items I spoke about only need 1 to a few pages:

1) There was no love for the Midway comics that game with the MK1 and Mk4 games that I could see
* I'm talking the Midway comics specifically, I noticed all the Malibu and editions were mentioned.

2) No mention of either FOMA or The Live Tour.
* Yes these sucked but they could at least get a half of page snippet each to maintain a more encyclopedia feel.

3) A merchandise section and Kombat Klub reference could have been nice.
Justin D. can help with these. By merch section I'm talking like the catalogs the older video game strategy books used to have, so basically a grouping of action figures in one paragraph section, soundtracks, shirts, hats, you get my point. And the original books, especially by Jeff Rovin. But again I mean as grouped photos and a section devoted to say, Books, and coverage of popular books

You guys continue to make a valid point about the copyright issue with WB. Which is why I'm wondering the why entire thing got made anyway and money was spent on things things like shirts and book prototypes (you're using Blurb I see, they're pretty expensive for less than 72pp graphics) and meetings and all that (yes I have been following the project and ultimately know that without the license and rights you all wasted your own time and money and probably got KT'd like he did with Legacy... and that's insider information from Hollywood, WB was never going to give him the film because WB was still butthurt about Rebirth and making a mockery of them). I see them KTing you the same way The Lego Company done with the GBHQ set and the Ideas guy whose project got rejected - ultimately what you're doing is giving free ideas to WB. Free to them anyway because they're not obligated to ever pay you for campaigning for this or even so much as acknowledging you.

So yes, I get ultimately your goal is for WB to follow in the footsteps of Street Fighter with their new books and make their own version but for Mortal Kombat. But being in the entertainment industry myself I don't think you get your own goal and now it is becoming a fan-made project much like mine and all the guys before you. So here's my advice:

Being in contact with some of the guys from NRS and WB is nice... I used to be in contact with the originals of the MK games and the two movies... and I personally worked with a stuntman from the first film in his MMA promotions... celebs are eager to talk to fans so they stay relevant but many companies are just as eager to write a form letter saying "We thank it would be awesome but it's not for us" is a nice way of saying No like they always do in the entertainment industry. Are they the right guys you should be speaking with and with the obvious IP issue lingering, do you really want to be in talks with the right guys because if you do they now know who you are and can send you a nice C/D letter. A "10,000 person petition" means shit to a company who are BOOMING with their Lego movies (I know that because I'm a HUGE Lego fan), their never-ending DC superhero properties... get a million to sign, have no prototypes, write a business plan that would explain designers and show that there's even a need enough for it (again, 10,000 people yet a poor social media following equals no business professional give a real shit, a fake shit yes but not a real shit) and speak with some corporate executives and they'll listen. I understand the passion behind the project, believe me I do with my own film but even I am beginning to see I should have followed proper business protocol and get myself an agent and possibly an entertainment lawyer for my own properties.

Although WB is known as aggressive with its IP in the entertainment industry I'm curious if WB isn't planning something like this of their own and that's why they're more aggressive with your project than the other exhaustive fan projects (that and the layout reminds me of the MK9 hardcover book and the Art of MK book).

I don't mean to come across as demeaning or belittling, I too used to be excited with the original Johnny Cage would talk to me or wish me a Happy Birthday but did that accomplish anything for either of us? No. He survives a lot through residuals and his own martial arts studio and public appearances (he happened to come to a local event around where I live but I couldn't go). Having one of many god-zillion fans talking to him and asking questions about this or that is ultimately annoying and keeps them away from their professional goals. Cary Tagawa, Talisa Soto, Chris Cassamassa and the Sub-zero french guy, (again I also had a direct connection with a stuntninja from the film as in I stayed over at his house connection) were all very nice and forthcoming with information (and the Darrel dude from MKL; I seldom got anything out of TJ Storm despite he's still in the same martial arts network my friends are in) but did that do anything for any of us? No. In fact I believe Talisa deleted her FB account and many others did too because, let's face it, they're all corporate managed and get paid to make movies and not talk to fans about the BTS of the films from almost 20+ years ago that NO ONE IN HOLLYWOOD, INCLUDING BOON/TOBIAS, WANTED MADE and for the same reasons WB is DRAGGING THEIR FEET (remember, in 1993, one year after the 1992 release of MK1 to arcades, Larry K spoke to New Line and made his own company to make MK; they wrote the script after and began filming it in 1994-1995 and released it to theaters in 1995 - so it was only a 3 year process; once it hit home video Annihilation was already in development) so it doesn't take all these years to make a film - the point of all of this is to give you inside and business information to make this work and examples).

You either get it or you don't but you're in so deep you might as well finish it out as an online fan project for every team member's personal fulfillment and sanity.

I'd offer to help but I don't see where I could anymore than the advice already given and, it would be about as much as a waste of time as my own archive site turned out to be and every other project like you're doing I've seen and still online that came before you over the last 20 years.

gorostilllivesPosted: 05/27/2018 09:32 PMStatus ::

Here are some links to links that explain the lore:

http://www.denofgeek.com/us/games/mortal-kombat/248595/the-mortal-kombat-timeline-the-krazy-story-explained

http://mortalkombat.wikia.com/wiki/Mortal_Kombat_Storyline

http://insignificantknowledge.blogspot.com/2011/04/chronological-story-of-mortal-kombat.html

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/the-story-so-far-mortal-kombat-x/1100-6426573/

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/ps2/931479-mortal-kombat-armageddon/faqs/26717

http://mkbible.org/

Not to say you've all pretty much reinvented the wheel but, albeit the attempt to restructure the lore and provide things out encyclopedic, I mean, yea.

The_TooCool_MasterPosted: 05/27/2018 11:34 PMStatus ::

I hear you on the business side of things. We know a lot of our contacts have no bearing on whether this could be made or not and we don't have any false hopes on that side of things. Your experience is valuable and I thank you for sharing it.

Yeah, the lore of Mortal Kombat has been dissected in all parts of the internet. But there's something about a physical book in a video game collection that's much more interesting than a gigantic FAQ on the internet. I also hold GameFaqs in my heart as I was once on this board during the hype days of Armageddon doing the Character Kountdown(posting a new bio every day leading up to the game's release). Anyway, there are such books about many games but none about Mortal Kombat.

We chose Blurb because it was the cheapest we could find. They often have massive sales. The current version of the book cost 63$ a piece. Do you know any other place?

The design was greatly inspired by MKX's minimalist approach. I guess that's why it could remind you of other projects by NRS.

We had some talks with WB's legal department about buying the rights and we had at one point 4 publishers who were in. Some had weird demands(no mention of fatalities) and ultimately it narrowed down to one who balked out when they learned about the licensing cost(5 times what they usually pay for). They even specified no crowdfunding.

So why did we continue? Pay so much? Make so much publicity? Like I said we were so far deep that it just made sense to finish it. When we reached that point we got more transparent with the fans. Ultimately, if what you suggest ends up being true and WB are being so hard on us because they're preparing one, it'll still be a victory for us, even if we have nothing to do with their decision.

I appreciate your love for BTS stuff. I guess FOTM and the Live Tour do have a place in some kind of book but we've planned this one as a lore-based book above all else which is why there's no talk of merchandise and every Beyond the Kombat stuff is mostly a small synopsis with bunch of pictures. The absence of the official MK comic, which I believe is canon for the Klassic Timeline, is actually a terrible oversight on our part.

We've learned a lot from this experience too which is why we've changed our name from The Mortal Kombat Encyclopedia Project to Uppercut Editions. We have some plans for the future and we plan on tackling new projects differently.

Thank you for your feedback!

Page of 2

© 1998-2018 Mortal Kombat Online. All rights reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Mortal Kombat, the dragon logo and all character names are trademarks and copyright of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.