Site Network Movies Fan Submission Community Media Games News
There are 4 users online.
Username: Password: Save:
MK Online    Kommunity    Show Message
Join MK Online Free or become a Flawless Member for special benefits.
MKO on Twitter

MK Online User Poll

What's Coming Next?
Mortal Kombat (2011) Sequel (82.9%)
Mortal Kombat HD Remake (6.8%)
MKII Director's Cut (2.5%)
Shaolin Monks HD (1.7%)
Mortal Kombat MOBA (1.7%)
A New Adventure Game (4.2%)
Other [Post On Forum] (0%)

Forum Listings

MK Online Site Updates
  • April 20th, 2014
    UFC Frankie Edgar - Mortal Kombat Better Than Street Fighter [Read On]
  • April 15th, 2014
    Pop Culture Shock 1:4 Scale Baraka Statue Preview [Read On]
  • April 9th, 2014
    Online Service Closures to Hit Mortal Kombat - GameSpy, GFWL [Read On]
  • April 7th, 2014
    Mortal Kurio: Wrestlemania King of Kings - or Emperor of Outworld? [Read On]
  • April 2nd, 2014
    Art of Kombat: Now and Then Theres a Fool Such as We [Read On]

Site Themes
You must be logged in to
select themes.

Chat Championship

3D Kombat Klassics

Discussing the 3D MK Klassics: Everything from MK4 to Armageddon.
Page of 1

Shaun_HimmerickPosted: 08/01/2005 07:56 PMStatus ::
Shaun Himmerick
Producer
Developer Diary: #3: Characters

OK, I'll again quickly clarify a couple things.

YES, I know Goro's lair was a secret area in MK2, I was referring to the main backgrounds (what, you don't think I check the boards on MKOnline on a regular basis)?? And unfortunately, just so everyone knows, giving (gameplay) suggestions or ideas on Shaolin at this point is no longer necessary'due to the extreme long-lead process of finalizing a game these days, we LOCKED content on the game SIX months ago and have been polishing and implementing the ideas we already had since then. I couldn't add another fatality no matter how much Ed or I wanted to right now so we'll still take the comments but note that they won't be thought about for Shaolin.

OK, OK'I guess if Ed wanted to, we'd find a way, but he knows better.

As you already know, Midway LA (formerly, Paradox Development), is developing the gam'about 10 people from the MK team in Chicago helped to make MKSM come to life (and probably close to 50 helped in some smaller way to get the job done). For example, the Cinematic group in Chicago consists of about 15 people and they made the opening movie (that ROCKS). There are 8 total characters available in Versus mode. I haven't seen any of these games referenced. My life has been all about this game for 2 years, I lost my girlfriend and I barely know who won survivor, thank God for TiVo. The playable demo should be out soon for OPM and OXM so be sure to check it out.

OK, the Cast of Characters.

A quick answer to a question related to this topic, for many of the costumes we used MK2 throwback styles unless some other idea was liked by the team better. The woman just didn't look good as palette swaps. We tried to make it work, but really they all looked to similar and not that appealing that way. You might notice some of these attempts in the concept art in the extra content.

The beginning of the choosing of characters was easy. If the character was a main character in MK2 the character HAD to be in this game. If a character was a secret character in MK2 there is probably a reference to them, big or small. One of the "secret" characters changed how we used them in the game many times trying to make them fit. Sometimes characters didn't fit the story right or violated MK history. Some we just didn't have time to implement RIGHT so we cut their appearance to a cameo.

After the MK2 stuff we drifted to MK1 and MK3 for some inspirations and ideas, and then we also drifted to some favorites of the crew. Yes, sometimes decisions get made that way. Scorpion was always going to be in this game no matter what because he is Ed's Favorite. Reptile was going to be in it because he is one of my favorite. I'd bet there are some others that are in there because Adam (Adam Puhl, the lead designer) likes them. There is really a nice wide variety of MK characters throughout the game. Some have big parts and some small, but a lot of fun. I love how we use Sonya in the game, I think it is really a great reference to MK and should be fun for the fans.

The non-boss enemies were also fun to create. For example we wanted to bring the "eyes" that glowed in the back of the Goro's lair to life. So concept art was done and inspired just from the eyes you see in the background. Everyone has probably seen the Oni at this point now from screen shots or the footage from Goro's Lair. Other enemies were more traditional like the Tarkatan army. We basically knew the look, though their costumes went through many modifications. Then we really got into their fighting style. You'll notice their fighting attacks change over time in the game and some of the enemy attacks change with difficult setting, as well. HARD difficulty will have more than just more blocking and attacking more often'there are additional attacks. HARD is seriously HARDER.

I know you wouldn't think it but many of the characters also went through a huge numbers of revisions. One of the most revised characters was Sub-Zero. Mark Lappin was/is the Character Lead for the game and he probably did 8-9 passes on Sub-Zero alone. I know we went through literally 5-6 heads and styles of head costume on him. Even "simple" costumes like MK2 style ninjas have a huge amount of work that goes into them. Mark did a great job getting the feel for the characters, and making them feel like MK2 without them looking crappy. They look "Old School" not "old". Then sometimes costumes would have to change because of MK History correctness. Annoying, but needed.

Some other examples of seemingly easy costumes that were really hard were Raiden's costume. It was fairly plain from MK2, so we had to get detail into the materials and such to not have him look plain. Similarly with Johnny Cage we had a lot of passes on the clothe texture on his pants to look right and a LOT of passes on his skin. Of course, Kung Lao and Liu Kang had the most passes done to them.

Adding Kenshi was a good idea. I kid, Kenshi would have made no sense in the story. He is not in this game or is he? Again I kid or am I? Seriously though, we can't give away all the secrets.

I should have explained this earlier, but just like the backgrounds, a character takes like 3 months to get done on this project. Mark or other character artists would do some concept art for a few characters every month and then get notes from Steve and Tony. Then they'd modify the concept art and go to the first pass of the models, get notes form Steve and Tony, then another pass. And depending on how that went some went through many more passes. Then just like the backgrounds, even after all that we did 2 more completely separate passes, one after alpha, and one right before beta to polish them up. I feel I can literally say, blood, sweat and tears went into those characters'Tony cries a lot when he does art.

Alright this needs to be all I write tonight. We are coming down to the final stretch right now and bug fixing and trying to get a submission candidate ready for Sony & Xbox in a couple weeks. High stress times right now, if you only knew how much stress. Damned Adam just e-mailed me something he wants to change in the game, MAN he makes me angry, I told him I'd punch him in the face if it causes ONE bug. ONE new bug = ONE punch in face.

Tell Your Friends,

Shaun

Thread Closed
samus_aran3900Posted: 08/01/2005 08:06 PMStatus ::

Visits::32039
Nationality::Canada
RE: Developer Diary: #3: Characters

Awesome Stuff Shaun Himmerick im going to Love MKSM

IRC member DECEPTION
#flawless, #tmk, #mkchat, #mktrivia, #mortalkombat, #mkinformer
Thread Closed
Sub-Zero_7thPosted: 08/01/2005 08:13 PMStatus ::

Visits::17473
Nationality::United States

Interesting stuff. One thing I wonder is the amount of unlockable characters there'll be for the main story mode.

Thread Closed
dragonj87Posted: 08/01/2005 08:38 PMStatus ::

Visits::1149
Nationality::Antarctica

Great, I love the character designs so far. I like how some use the old MK2 look, but have slight variations to reflect theirselves. Like where Jade and Kitana have longer clothing, Mileena has more revealing clothes which represents her. Kung Lao, Sub-Zero, and Reptile have the coolest looks so far IMO.

One question I have, in MK2, Kung Lao had some red symbol on his shirt. Does this symbol mean anything and is it on him in SM?

Keep up the great work.

Thread Closed
|Khaos|Posted: 08/01/2005 08:52 PMStatus ::

Visits::2159

I love you, have my children. Just playing man, anyways. Can't wait to play the game.

Thread Closed
Kahn91Posted: 08/01/2005 09:23 PMStatus ::

Visits::5527

This game looks great. I hope Adam won't get any punches from you! I feel extremely weird saying that as Adam is my name...

Image hosted by Photobucket.com This album is over 5 years old...I seriously need a new sig.
Thread Closed
SubScorpTilePosted: 08/01/2005 09:43 PMStatus ::

Visits::4568

nice, keep these bitches rollin'.

*Fighting for peace is like f***in for virginity* George Carlin
Thread Closed
outworld222Posted: 08/01/2005 11:34 PMStatus ::

Visits::14636

So did we learn anything about whether or not shao khan will make an appearance in MKSM? Anyone? He does fit the storyline perfectly after all...

Thread Closed
EkulePosted: 08/02/2005 01:40 AMStatus ::

Visits::2069

Shaun, I am looking into getting into the producing business, do you have an suggestions of how I should get started?

Thread Closed
mk101Posted: 08/02/2005 04:28 AMStatus ::

Visits::51

it's true what he said, i think its about time you to tell us if shao khan will be in the game and playable in vs mode?

thanks

Thread Closed
KeithPosted: 08/02/2005 07:58 AMStatus ::

Visits::13787
Nationality::Ireland

The fact that you mentioned Sonya...it just made my day. But what is going to happen with her? Will she be just basically an extra, put in the game to stand there in cutscenes or will she have a more involved part. Also will the original kidnapped/saved by Jax story go on through the game?

Thread Closed
msmmaPosted: 08/02/2005 09:37 AMStatus ::

Visits::1048

On the new OPM demo disk there is the playable MKSM, a behind the scenes feature, and finally a little character movie.

For you Shao Kahn fans, one of the characters that was shown in the character movie, was indeed our helmeted friend.

Not sure if that means hes officially "in" or not, but it's encouraging!!!

-
Thread Closed
KaizuDragonPosted: 08/02/2005 09:41 AMStatus ::

Visits::534

Not bad. Not bad at all.

But is there STILL no confirmation as to whether Ermac will be a playable in VS?

Thread Closed
Subzero2Posted: 08/02/2005 01:16 PMStatus ::

Visits::4007

I know that Shaun said that there will be a total of 8 playable characters in vs. mode, but I have a feeling that this game will have some super unlockable characters. I mean its back in MK1 and MK2 time where mysteries and secrets kept us playing the games. I guess for now we can only hope and pray.

PSN: Eazail70x7
Thread Closed
ChromePosted: 08/02/2005 05:46 PMStatus ::

Visits::14627
Nationality::Hungary

A delicate question: are you intending to go by the tournament setting of MK2 where Shang Tsung and Shao Kahn challenge and lure the Earthly forces to Outworld, or are you leaving the tournament plotline out of the installment?

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Thread Closed
otb1369Posted: 08/02/2005 06:55 PMStatus ::

Visits::848
Nationality::Mexico

Adding Kenshi was a good idea. I kid, Kenshi would have made no sense in the story. He is not in this game or is he? Again I kid or am I? Seriously though, we can't give away all the secrets.

I really hope Kenshi isn't in the game.

Upcomming games!
Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks (09/19/05)
SSX on Tour (10/24/05)
Gauntlet: Seven Sorrows (11/14/05)
Thread Closed
KoreanShinPosted: 08/02/2005 08:23 PMStatus ::

Visits::217

Kenshi!!? Kenshi rocks!!! Maybe he's just a cameo appearance, but he is one of the best in MK. Maybe he is still searching Shang Tsung O.o

Thread Closed
OngBakPosted: 08/02/2005 09:15 PMStatus ::

Visits::4304
Nationality::Antarctica

KoreanShin Wrote:

Kenshi!!? Kenshi rocks!!! Maybe he's just a cameo appearance, but he is one of the best in MK. Maybe he is still searching Shang Tsung O.o

i hope hes not in the game (i 8 that bastard telekinesis jerk). if he is in this will broke all the storyline like kung lao was a shang soldier and now kenshi will be a fake stone statue

Thread Closed
Subzero2Posted: 08/02/2005 09:59 PMStatus ::

Visits::4007

OngBak Wrote:
KoreanShin Wrote:

i hope hes not in the game (i 8 that bastard telekinesis jerk). if he is in this will broke all the storyline like kung lao was a shang soldier and now kenshi will be a fake stone statue

Kenshi was kind of involved around this time if you go by Konquest mode on MKD. He was blinded by Shang Tsung, remember.

Nice sig btw OngBak.

PSN: Eazail70x7
Thread Closed
Skaven13Posted: 08/05/2005 11:14 AMStatus ::

Visits::2209

If Kenshi is in the game, I suspect you will see him in earthrealm either before or during the tarkata attack. After Tsungs defeat. It will probably be something like
"Alright Tsung...I found ya. I found your little martial arts get together, and my sword wants to say hello. I'm gonna....oh crap, I'm late, aren't I..?
Then maybe he'll help out with the Tarkatan attack.
Or maybe Shaun needs a little humor to release some stress so he's trying to cause all this rucuss on the boards about Kenshi. Sounds like something I would do lol

skavesig
Thread Closed
AsesinoPosted: 08/05/2005 11:22 AMStatus ::

Visits::10223
Nationality::Bulgaria

I hope i can get more than 8 characters in VS mode via trainers or cheat devices.
I mean like everione else whos in the game lol like it was with MK:De for the X.

Thread Closed
MolochMonstaPosted: 08/08/2005 05:52 PMStatus ::

Visits::259

dragonj87 Wrote:

One question I have, in MK2, Kung Lao had some red symbol on his shirt. Does this symbol mean anything and is it on him in SM?

Keep up the great work.
I saw that discussed in a magazine once. it means 'war'

out of ninjas, cyborg thugs, evil ninja robots, martial artists, martial artists with sharp hats, princesses, bodyguards with more than 4 limbs, undead movie stars, native american shamans, evil emporrers, gods and secret service agents, you say Stryker didn't fit in MK3?
Thread Closed
quevePosted: 08/09/2005 02:21 PMStatus ::

Visits::4109
Nationality::Bolivia

Keith Wrote:
The fact that you mentioned Sonya...it just made my day.
But what is going to happen with her? Will she be just basically an extra, put in the game to stand there in cutscenes or will she have a more involved part. Also will the original kidnapped/saved by Jax story go on through the game?

I cant wait to see what they have done with SONYA!

To say he loves whats being done with her is definitely a plus for me, I hope to see some cool and even funny things (tough chick attitude) happen with her in the story. I even have hopes that they will develop her “romance” with Johnny Cage!

I really hope she is playable, but if she is not, I will be happy with seeing a lot of her through the story, and by the look of it, something important might happen with her.

Could they have been inspired by the comics published by Malibu in the 1990s?? I hope they did, she plays a very significant and truly important role in that story.

MKSM sounds amazing!

Thread Closed
ninjaamiPosted: 11/12/2005 08:22 PMStatus ::

Visits::4

awesome! MY FAVE CHARACTER IS MILEENA OR KITANA THESE gurls are soo like totally cool
Spoilers: (Highlight to reveal)

Do not bump threads this old.

Jerrod

Thread Closed
Page of 1

© 1998-2014 Mortal Kombat Online. All rights reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Mortal Kombat, the dragon logo and all character names are trademarks and copyright of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.