John Vogel speaks out on the story. (Spoilers)
Hey all, a friend of mine emailed John Vogel in regards to MK:A's sucky storyline, and well, he's not happy about it either.

"I can understand your aggravation.

Here is the first issue... the new plan was to have every character playable. That was the hook for the game. Unfortunately that messes things up story-wise especially since its been said in the past that certain characters would never be returning... (Hsu Hao for instance). The story had been progressing with many things like that in mind. Then the plan changed. So now we have Onaga and Reptile playable at the same time.

The second issue is that another decision was made (not by me) to abandon character bios this time around. Me and the other writers were hoping to explain a lot of the initial storyline through those bios. But we were told there would be no bios in MK7. As a result fans like yourself who keep track of events will be confused because there are gaps in the story. I expected that. I’m upset myself.

On the positive note there is a possibility that the marketing dept will want to post bios online. If that’s the case we can resolve a lot of issues with the storyline. We, the writers, had already taken into consideration some of the issues you bring up. The Onaga/Reptile thing, Frost being in the Lin Kuei temple (I complained about that one a lot), hookswords for Kabal AND Movado. All of these situations don’t make sense story-wise because there are no bios. Only if the marketing dept wants to post bios online can the storyline be resolved.

In general all I can really tell you is that there were a lot of game design decisions made that were out of story-writing control... and they affected the story in weird ways. Some situations don’t make sense because there are no bios to explain them. Those bios will only be seen by the public if Midway wants to post them online.

John

P.S. After all that bitching I can’t believe you left out the fact that Motaro lost half his body! Haha."

So there we go, John Vogel's as upset about this as we are.

outworld222
10/14/2006 01:35 AM (UTC)
As he should be..
Projenitor
10/14/2006 01:36 AM (UTC)
I'm also missing Cyrax's geen net...............
PsychoFight
10/14/2006 01:39 AM (UTC)
Well, alright then guys!! Let's start crying for them then, damn it!
MK_Trilogy
About Me

Gamertag:jos18

10/14/2006 01:39 AM (UTC)
I could only just hope that online bios will be available.
boomboom
About Me

I hate this place.

10/14/2006 01:42 AM (UTC)
Wow. Well, he makes a point, but I hope they can make the bios on the net.
mkflegend
10/14/2006 01:44 AM (UTC)
Projenitor Wrote:
I'm also missing Cyrax's geen net...............

Same, I have a feeling that wasn't implemented due to gameplay reasons.But yeah I miss that signature move also.
Xalibar
10/14/2006 01:45 AM (UTC)
How did you email john vogel? Not like he has an email specifically for him. Maybe we should create a sticky for people to post their own version of peoples bios for creative inspiration. shame how during interviews the whole team talks about how cool and good the game will be, but when it comes out, the tell the truth of how they are dissapointed with it.
shutterpb14
10/14/2006 01:45 AM (UTC)
I smell a petition...
MK_Trilogy
About Me

10/14/2006 01:47 AM (UTC)
shutterpb14 Wrote:
I smell a petition...

LOL. Me 2!
Metadream
10/14/2006 01:49 AM (UTC)
Petition anyone? Seriously, I would really like to see these bios.
kingjolly
10/14/2006 01:50 AM (UTC)
They should just consider MKA non-canon...that would solve everything. Didnt Tekken do the exact same thing with tekken tag?
Tai-ChiMaster
10/14/2006 01:50 AM (UTC)
I DEMAND a petition, not just for our own guilty pleasure, but I want the writers to be able to use THEIR creativity and flesh out these inconsistent storylines...
kingjolly
10/14/2006 01:53 AM (UTC)
Tai-ChiMaster Wrote:
I DEMAND a petition, not just for our own guilty pleasure, but I want the writers to be able to use THEIR creativity and flesh out these inconsistent storylines...

I dont see how they can make any sense out of those inconsistents storylines though. Way too many things conflict each other. Considerering MKA non-canon would be great. MK8 can be the true continuation of MKD.
KombatFoxx
10/14/2006 01:54 AM (UTC)
This is exactly what I did NOT want to hear. >.<

So, if there are no bios (F-you, whoever made that call), then what's in the ? box?
Barakaz_cuz
10/14/2006 01:56 AM (UTC)
I Order someone to form a petition immediately!

I'm confused as Hell and I demand an explanation!!!

PS. Thanks for the info PNFwink

Edit: PPS. Great Idea Kingjolly!wink
Vasculio
10/14/2006 01:56 AM (UTC)
Tai-ChiMaster Wrote:

I'll sign if someone makes one!
MK_Trilogy
About Me

10/14/2006 01:57 AM (UTC)
probably codes for high level KAFs. Just like in MK:T which was a 1 button fatality. IDK?
PsychoFight
10/14/2006 02:01 AM (UTC)
No way. MKA was supposed to be the finisher, that's what they said, that's what Vogel says it should've been, and so we should get those bios. It should be canon.
methos75
10/14/2006 02:01 AM (UTC)
Well after all the hate that Boon and the guys have received this past week on many of the issues with MKA, it is good to see they had good intentions, but the heads of Midway screwed it up and not the MK team. Hopefully Midway sees this, and allopws the MK team to do what they need to do to keep us happy next time.
Uppercut Editions
About Me

Uppercut Editions - Mortal Kombat Encyclopedia Project Creator and Manager - Join Our Fight and Like the Mortal Kombat Encyclopedia Project on Facebook and Twitter -

10/14/2006 02:06 AM (UTC)
This would be cool.

If they bust out the Bios, it'd be cool if they issued a "Mortal Kombat from then til now book, with all the characters and their stories and such."

I suppose bios would explain a good deal this time.
mkflegend
10/14/2006 02:07 AM (UTC)
methos75 Wrote:
Well after all the hate that Boon and the guys have received this past week on many of the issues with MKA, it is good to see they had good intentions, but the heads of Midway screwed it up and not the MK team. Hopefully Midway sees this, and allopws the MK team to do what they need to do to keep us happy next time.

Yeah, seriously man.You're right.Everyone assumes the MK team, the MK team when even THEY have supervisors and there are times when you have NO say.

Which sucks.

Other then this little debate with the bios, MK:A is a great game.Much improved and overall a fun game.grin
Drifting_Ravage
10/14/2006 02:13 AM (UTC)
Good to know.

I'd like to see these online bios also, I wanted to at least see what happened at the end of deception.
Anyanka
About Me

PSN - ItMustBeBunnies7

10/14/2006 02:19 AM (UTC)
I figured there had to be an explination like that, that someone high up made the specific choice to have a limited story.

Now I'm really curious to find out why. It's not like bios or detailed endings would take up tons of space or time. I understand not having a ton of art and CGI but there's no technical reason to not have good text bios/endings.

I wonder if someone in charge thinks following the story is too complex and confusing or something. There has to be some major reason for them to decide this.
KenshiMaster16
10/14/2006 02:20 AM (UTC)
Someone start a petition. If fans can do it for the X-Box situation, we can do it for this, too. Let's make our voices heard, and if they ignore us, storm the barricade and perform some Kreate-A-Fatalities! furious
Pages: 6
Download on the App StoreGet it on Google Play
© 1998-2024 Shadow Knight Media, LLC. All rights reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Mortal Kombat, the dragon logo and all character names are trademarks and copyright of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.