Kang: Mortal Sit-kom (Daily sprite comic series)
posted01/14/2007 03:22 AM (UTC)by
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

What do you like? Hit the Toasty thumbs up on articles and forum posts for a quick response!
Alright, some of the guys in the chan know I really don't like MK sprite comic strips. That's mostly because there are SO MANY, and a lot of them just aren't all that great.

But, lately I was messing around with some sprites, and just generally trying to get my groove back (creatively), so I decided to go and have a go at it.

Thus, I give you a new MK sprite strip series to be posted pseudo-regularly on my secondary general blog! grin

EDIT: Please note, these URLs no longer exist. You can find the entirety of this sprite strip series via this direct link to Kombat Pavilion.

And without further adieu - KANG #01
Synposis: Master Bo Rai Cho has contacted the Shaolin Monks with some unfortunate news, or at least, that's what Liu Kang thinks.
We go back to the very beginning of Mortal Kombat, and experience that initial shock through a character previously unheard from - Kung Lao!
Sammy
10/22/2006 06:17 PM (UTC)
Funny.I love sit-coms, so I would like to see more of these.
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

What do you like? Hit the Toasty thumbs up on articles and forum posts for a quick response!
10/23/2006 05:07 AM (UTC)
Sammy Wrote:
Funny.I love sit-coms, so I would like to see more of these.

Thank you very much! I'll probably try to be patient enough to filter them out one at a time. Despite the overwhelming demand shown here for more.

Thanks guy...s. grin
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

10/23/2006 02:27 PM (UTC)
Well, well! If it isn't another dose of Kang, fresh from The Hammer!

KANG #2
Synopsis: Liu Kang and Kitana broke up, but when Kung Lao finds out where Liu Kang is catching the subway, he begins to question the validity of the break up. Also featured: the long awaited performance art debut of -- Baraka! Don't miss it!
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

10/24/2006 01:43 PM (UTC)
More daily Kang courtesy of The Hammer!
I've actually just finished the twenty-seventh strip, and I have to say, they certainly pick up steam by the double digits. MK kicks off, and the gags write themselves, so stick around for that.
In the mean time:

KANG #03
Synopsis: Liu Kang accompanies ex-girlfriend Kitana to see a psychic. The news delivered is somewhat ominous, but vague, leaving both Liu and Kitana to misinterpret how it represents Kang's chances at the upcoming Mortal Kombat tournament.
Genku
10/25/2006 07:27 AM (UTC)
XD

ok I got a chance to read this and I must say it's pretty good, funny at times too. Keep it up(the work I mean... )

P.S.: Now you have two replies ya big baby
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

10/25/2006 01:54 PM (UTC)
Genku Wrote:
XD

ok I got a chance to read this and I must say it's pretty good, funny at times too. Keep it up(the work I mean... )

Very sincere! tongue
MEANWHILE -- What's that? More Kang, do I hear you say? Of course!

KANG #04
Synopsis: Liu Kang heads home after a visit to the psychic, and runs into the street performer he and Kung Lao had commented upon when he was last there. When Kang approaches the Tarkatan performer to ask about his hat, it seems his previous comments were overheard, and an altercation ensues.
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

10/26/2006 10:59 PM (UTC)
Well, the comments just continue to fly, don't they? tongue
This one's a more conventional MK sprite strip. Not much story, and a cheesy quip at the end about an element of the game.

KANG #05
Synopsis: In the wake of being attacked by Baraka, Liu Kang is forced to look inward to ponder his karma, having attained little information from the 'psychic' Zaterran - Reptile.
It's about now that Rayden makes his overdue first appearance.
As Rayden finds, there are still many elements of Liu Kang's arsenal that required fine tuning. Giddyup!
Zentile
10/26/2006 11:00 PM (UTC)
I hate sit coms.

And I didn't like these comics... except for the one with Reptile going ''armageddon will suck''. that one was great. Try doing some more.
Ninja_Mime
10/26/2006 11:03 PM (UTC)
Zentile Wrote:
I hate sit coms.

Fact: Seinfeld is the greatest television show ever.
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

10/26/2006 11:18 PM (UTC)
Zentile Wrote:
I hate sit coms.

And I didn't like these comics... except for the one with Reptile going ''armageddon will suck''. that one was great. Try doing some more.

Yo! Thanks for the comment!
I've actually done up to #27, and am just filtering these out once daily, but I appreciate the suggestion!

Reptile shows up again very soon, and quite regularly, in a somewhat similar capacity to #3, so hopefully that will go over with you well.
Also, #10 is the beginning of the first Mortal Kombat, and some of the gags become more MK-centric, so hopefully that helps. More characters, too.

Ninja_Mime Wrote:
Zentile Wrote:
I hate sit coms.

Fact: Seinfeld is the greatest television show ever.

Curb Your Enthusiasm is where it's at. grin
strykerandbarakarule
About Me

I regret StrykerAndBarakaRule but I don't think I can change it. Oh well.

10/26/2006 11:53 PM (UTC)
Mick-Lucifer Wrote:
More daily Kang courtesy of The Hammer!
I've actually just finished the twenty-seventh strip, and I have to say, they certainly pick up steam by the double digits. MK kicks off, and the gags write themselves, so stick around for that.
In the mean time:

KANG #03
Synopsis: Liu Kang accompanies ex-girlfriend Kitana to see a psychic. The news delivered is somewhat ominous, but vague, leaving both Liu and Kitana to misinterpret how it represents Kang's chances at the upcoming Mortal Kombat tournament.
no armageddon wont suck.lol keep em coming fool!
themkwarrior
About Me

I made this! Yay!

Guess who's back!

10/26/2006 11:58 PM (UTC)
I can't read any, I click on the link, and it isn't shown on the page.

I think Zentile just doesn't like Sprite comics.
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

10/27/2006 01:26 AM (UTC)
strykerandbarakarule Wrote:

no armageddon wont suck.lol keep em coming fool!

grin Aye, sir!

themkwarrior Wrote:

When you click the links what are you seeing?
There aren't many things I can think of. If you're accessing the net from a public computer (library, cafe, school) then they might have a block on blogspot, or alternatively, if you checked earlier, but haven't checked again since, it might have just been because you checked during Blogspot's maintenance down period.

MEANWHILE -- I just, out of curiosity, looked ahead to see what strip is due on Halloween, and it turns out it's the first MK tournament strip. Spooky! Marketable! Spooky!

Nemesis316
10/27/2006 02:18 AM (UTC)
Zentile just doesn't like comics that suck, so he really doesn't like 95% of the comics on this forum.

Now, for this comic. Below average at best. The text sucks, use a clearer font. You claim how much comics suck, and yet you make this. Humor? I'm not laughing. The graphics are decent at least. Still though, the things that drag this down is the dull humor and the atrocious text.

1/5

If you don't like sprite comics, then at least don't make a fool of yourself by making something just as bad.
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

10/27/2006 05:08 AM (UTC)
Nemesis316 Wrote:
Zentile just doesn't like comics that suck, so he really doesn't like 95% of the comics on this forum.

Now, for this comic. Below average at best. The text sucks, use a clearer font. You claim how much comics suck, and yet you make this. Humor? I'm not laughing. The graphics are decent at least. Still though, the things that drag this down is the dull humor and the atrocious text.

1/5

If you don't like sprite comics, then at least don't make a fool of yourself by making something just as bad.

We had a bit of a discussion about this in the IRC channel, and I guess through deconstruction we perhaps arrived at the theory that at the very least it's not universally lacking.
One of the interesting points of our discussion, I thought, was that one of your suggestions was to shift away from more predictable elements, while also citing the rather obvious contextual Reptile gag.

I guess it comes down to basic tastes, and that's fair enough. I appreciate the comment, but I think there's at least a basis for a high regard that 1/5.
Obviously you've done strips longer than I have, and I can imagine there's a certain regard you'll hold new comers with. I know after looking at some having done twenty-plus of my own, I saw a lot of things I didn't like, but were vaguely similar to what I'd done.

If I were to deconstruct the creative elements [which I think we did quite a bit in the discussion], I would say I'm trying to walk a line of bringing something relevent and contextual, while also trying to achieve something slightly fresh.
The Reptile gag, which went over reasonably well, is something I haven't seen done before (strangely enough), but I would still say it's a pretty straight forward piece of MK humor.

The earlier couple of strips differed more, playing a more basic level, and into the hands of one of the other things you brought up, which was the characters. That was basic humanizing of what is otherwise a much larger issue than something as petty as, 'Why wasn't I invited?'

I would like to think our discussion also perhaps highlighted how unnecessary the final phrase of your comment was. I'm not going to profess Kang #5, which really has very little to it as genius, but at the same time, it seems somewhat deliberately crass to put the gesture in those terms. I don't know if that's a little bit of instinctive resentment for another yahoo entering the field, but as part of a series, there's still a lot to gauge the effort on, and really, even what has been presented isn't that terrible.
Again, I think we probably established that through our discussion, and maybe you retract that part. I'm not sure.

Otherwise, I'm not too bothered, and can respect an opinion if you just plain don't like it. It just seemed like a very light argument here to end on such an antagonising note.

Particularly as you mentioned holding sprite comics to a higher standard, citing your own as an example. And while I can appreciate the effort, the first couple I saw highlighted a few issues I have with MK sprite comics.
One of those is the application of external CG stock effects, which I think are misplaced in the context of an MK strip -- particularly in a strip which seems to be playing it straight.

Having come from writing 'real' comics, the only way I could justify messing around with sprites was comedy, because it affords the luxury of lesser quality, and lends a freedom of mixing and matching.
I don't personally feel MK sprites (and all those palette swaps) are appropriate enough to present a serious story, particularly when they're combined with unrelated renders and stock graphics.

That said, that's certainly a clash of sensibility, and that doesn't necessarily mean it's a foolhardy endeavour. If you break things down too far, there's no point to anything!

I just want to highlight the fact that that kind of critique can very easily go both ways, and maybe next time a slightly fairer, further developed discussion might be in order.
It's all relevent within it's own context.

Thanks for the comment, though! Cheers! smile
Hopefully you might find more enjoyment as it develops. As I said, I did twenty-seven fairly quickly, and hopefully within that number I've managed to build some steam, and cultivate some unique contextual humor for what is meant to be a pretty light, quick laugh series.
I certainly think it will read better 1-20+. wink
Zentile
10/27/2006 02:22 PM (UTC)
themkwarrior Wrote:

Man, these kids are so arrogant these days. I LOVE sprite comics. But they have to be funny or at least visually entertaining. Of course I dont like YOUR comics, they suck it big time. Movie buffs dont like shitty movies. Wrestling fans don't like shitty wrestling. Anime fans dont like shitty anime, and gamers don't like bad video games. If anything, I like sprite comics alot more than you. If you really liked REAL sprite comics, you wouldn't laugh at the shit that roams these message boards.
Nemesis316
10/27/2006 08:36 PM (UTC)
Mick-Lucifer Wrote:
Nemesis316 Wrote:

1/5

We had a bit of a discussion about this in the IRC channel, and I guess through deconstruction we perhaps arrived at the theory that at the very least it's not universally lacking.
One of the interesting points of our discussion, I thought, was that one of your suggestions was to shift away from more predictable elements, while also citing the rather obvious contextual Reptile gag.

I guess it comes down to basic tastes, and that's fair enough. I appreciate the comment, but I think there's at least a basis for a high regard that 1/5.
Obviously you've done strips longer than I have, and I can imagine there's a certain regard you'll hold new comers with. I know after looking at some having done twenty-plus of my own, I saw a lot of things I didn't like, but were vaguely similar to what I'd done.

If I were to deconstruct the creative elements [which I think we did quite a bit in the discussion], I would say I'm trying to walk a line of bringing something relevent and contextual, while also trying to achieve something slightly fresh.
The Reptile gag, which went over reasonably well, is something I haven't seen done before (strangely enough), but I would still say it's a pretty straight forward piece of MK humor.

The earlier couple of strips differed more, playing a more basic level, and into the hands of one of the other things you brought up, which was the characters. That was basic humanizing of what is otherwise a much larger issue than something as petty as, 'Why wasn't I invited?'

I would like to think our discussion also perhaps highlighted how unnecessary the final phrase of your comment was. I'm not going to profess Kang #5, which really has very little to it as genius, but at the same time, it seems somewhat deliberately crass to put the gesture in those terms. I don't know if that's a little bit of instinctive resentment for another yahoo entering the field, but as part of a series, there's still a lot to gauge the effort on, and really, even what has been presented isn't that terrible.
Again, I think we probably established that through our discussion, and maybe you retract that part. I'm not sure.

Otherwise, I'm not too bothered, and can respect an opinion if you just plain don't like it. It just seemed like a very light argument here to end on such an antagonising note.

Particularly as you mentioned holding sprite comics to a higher standard, citing your own as an example. And while I can appreciate the effort, the first couple I saw highlighted a few issues I have with MK sprite comics.
One of those is the application of external CG stock effects, which I think are misplaced in the context of an MK strip -- particularly in a strip which seems to be playing it straight.

Having come from writing 'real' comics, the only way I could justify messing around with sprites was comedy, because it affords the luxury of lesser quality, and lends a freedom of mixing and matching.
I don't personally feel MK sprites (and all those palette swaps) are appropriate enough to present a serious story, particularly when they're combined with unrelated renders and stock graphics.

That said, that's certainly a clash of sensibility, and that doesn't necessarily mean it's a foolhardy endeavour. If you break things down too far, there's no point to anything!

I just want to highlight the fact that that kind of critique can very easily go both ways, and maybe next time a slightly fairer, further developed discussion might be in order.
It's all relevent within it's own context.

Thanks for the comment, though! Cheers! smile
Hopefully you might find more enjoyment as it develops. As I said, I did twenty-seven fairly quickly, and hopefully within that number I've managed to build some steam, and cultivate some unique contextual humor for what is meant to be a pretty light, quick laugh series.
I certainly think it will read better 1-20+. wink

Right, I understand. Perhaps my comments were a little harsh, but I was trying to help you as well. However, I will continue to read these, maybe there is something I missed that caused it to not be funny (in my eyes).

Still though, I appreciate how you handled this in a mature manner. Kudos, and many cheers. Good luck with your comic.

Also, now that I have gained more clarity of what your comic is, i'm going to bump the score up to 2.5/5. Still needs a lot of work, but at least it's better than 85% of the comics here.
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

10/28/2006 03:06 AM (UTC)
Nemesis316 Wrote:

Right, I understand. Perhaps my comments were a little harsh, but I was trying to help you as well. However, I will continue to read these, maybe there is something I missed that caused it to not be funny (in my eyes).

Still though, I appreciate how you handled this in a mature manner. Kudos, and many cheers. Good luck with your comic.

Also, now that I have gained more clarity of what your comic is, i'm going to bump the score up to 2.5/5. Still needs a lot of work, but at least it's better than 85% of the comics here.

Harsh comments are probably better than no comments at all. tongue

Yeah, I always like a good chat about something I'm already immediately invested or interested in. Even without a resolution, it's good to get some chatting going on a chat board. grin

It's really just supposed to be some quick fun, so I probably waxed a little too "mature" on it, but hopefully that's not such a bad thing.

I'll definitely take the opinions on board, and maybe by the time we get to the strips I'll do now, I might be able to convert. Otherwise, hopefully the arc of improvement that's already there will be enough for some folk to get some enjoyment and fun out of these quick little toons.

Cheers!
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

10/28/2006 03:16 AM (UTC)
And with an actual substantial wave of comments... Weekend at Kang's!

KANG #06
Synopsis: Back at the Shaolin Temple, Rayden, wacky protector of Earthrealm, attempts to initiate the final stage of Liu Kang's vital training.
However, certain distractions present themselves, and Liu Kang again is forced to question whether or not his bad karma is affecting those around him.
Genku
10/28/2006 04:51 AM (UTC)
Still as funny as ever, mate
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

10/29/2006 02:57 AM (UTC)
Oh em gee! The Hammer has dropped another daily dose of Kang!
Remember, October 31st will be a special day. Not only does Mortal Kombat officially begin, but there'll also be a Halloween special! Yay!

KANG #07
Synopsis: Liu Kang grapples with the responsibility of being the chosen warrior to represent Earth and the Shaolin Monks at the Mortal Kombat tournament. In light of recent events, Liu Kang can not help but have doubts, despite Kung Lao's attempts to rally his spirit.
lozminda
About Me
lozminda
10/29/2006 09:06 AM (UTC)
haha scorpion is so much cooler than liu kang
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

10/29/2006 12:43 PM (UTC)
lozminda Wrote:
haha scorpion is so much cooler than liu kang

grin It's so true.
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

10/30/2006 02:38 AM (UTC)
The Hammer continues to provide wholesome family entertainment in the form of Kang!

KANG #08
Synopsis: Rayden brings Liu Kang and Kung Lao to a dramatic locale where he prepares his chosen Shaolin warrior for the trials that lie ahead. Though somewhat disappointed in his lack of selection, Kung Lao plays the role of the supportive friend, encouraging Liu Kang to save the world without him.
Pages: 8
Download on the App StoreGet it on Google Play
© 1998-2024 Shadow Knight Media, LLC. All rights reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Mortal Kombat, the dragon logo and all character names are trademarks and copyright of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.