Garladors KOTW - Week 3 - Mileena Discussion
posted10/27/2011 04:53 AM (UTC)by
Garlador
Welcome, unfortunate mortals, to Week 3 of Garlador's "Kharacter of the Week".

With Nightwolf and Sheeva out of the way, Mileena is next on the chopping block. Let the residential MK trap come on down!

WHO IS MILEENA?
Mileena is the grotesque clone of Princess Kitana created by Shang Tsung when it decided that one hot princess wasn't enough. Unfortunately, he cross-bred Mileena with Tarkatan DNA, which resulted in the single most boner-damping video game vixen since Dragon Age's Broodmother.

("My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard...")

Despite being a "clone", she looks nothing like her "sister" anymore... which was kind of the point when she was created. The hair is different. The eyes are different. The nose is different. The mouth is certainly different. Even their skin color is different. It sort of throws a wrench in the whole "Mileena pretends to be Kitana" subplots that existed in prior games when Johnny Cage looks more identical to Outworld general Reiko than Kitana does to her supposed "twin" sister.

(The new spokesmen for "Double your pleasure, double your fun" Doublemint gum!)

Mileena's whole angle is she's the imperfect duplicate of the idealized Princess Kitana that wants everything Kitana has, despite having none of the beauty, skill, charisma, strength, or likability. Thus, she turns to unscrupulous means of getting attention instead.

(It's basically the plot of "Twins" with Arnold Schwarzenegger and Danny DeVito).

WHY IS MILEENA IN THE SERIES?
Mileena is the godless bastard idea someone had during a particularly horrific wet-dream-gone-bad.

(probably this one)

Basically, they had two hot girls in the game using the same model, Kitana & Mileena. The cop-out to explain the similarities was they were sisters. So... in MK2, we were graced with the possibility of a set of two super-hot twins. Awesome right?

(This. We could have had THIS.)

But, no. Apparently the notion of two hot women in one game was just too much for our feeble minds to handle. It was quickly decided that one would stay hot and the other would create a generation of chaste, sexless virgins too terrified of women and sex to ever procreate.

(... because misery loves company, apparently)

Thus, they took the ingredients of a hot chick, tossed in a rude Ninja Turtle, and crossed it with the undersea horrors that tempt world leaders to nuke the ocean's depths " just in case".

It was like the aborted fetus of Sindel's afterbirth was merged with more spikiness than a Clive Barker movie, creating one of gaming's most memorable freaks. Sporting fangs and craving for flesh, Mileena became MK's resident temptress and succubus, drawing in victims with her/Kitana's hot bod before showing us true terror!

(She's in good company)

MILEENA'S STORY
In the "prior canon", Mileena was raised as Kitana's twin sister and was created to allay suspicions of Kitana's prior Edenian life by establishing her with a relative without any Edenian connection. Mileena was flawed due to the difficulties in creating her, with Tarkatan features used to fill in the blanks. They were originally raised together, with Kitana being the favored child while Mileena grew to hate and despise her sister and her status. It was implied she didn't even know she was a clone until after Kitana found out the truth. It was a great set-up that gave both characters deep history, personal stakes, and created dimensional characters out of even villains such as Kahn who treated Kitana better than her malformed duplicate.

But then...

In the "new canon", Mileena is just "born", having been created because.... because... apparently Kahn just didn't like Kitana's attitude.

(He raised her through teenage rebellion, yet he couldn't handle her doing things like "not immediately killing random dude begging for death" and asking questions like "where's mommy?")

Kahn, despite having Kitana's full trust, love, and cooperation, sees she's starting to -*gasp* - question her place in the world and do some thinking of her own. And Kahn just won't stand for that.

(Shao Kahn apparently thinks like a Disney villain)

So, rather than sit his daughter of 10,000 years down and have a nice heart to heart where he explains she's a big girl and can handle the fact that her father routinely crushes the skulls of men who oppose him, he decides the best course of action would be to clone her and replace her, like he was managing the next Hollywood blockbuster and Kitana's salary demands were too high.

(Shao Kahn apparently thinks like a Disney movie executive too)

Thus Mileena was created. In Shang Tsung's own words, she is the "perfection" of Kitana's flaws.

("Well done, Sorcerer" my ass! I'd demand a refund.)

And... Shao Kahn doesn't do squat with her until Kitana stumbles in on her, gets attacked, and then acts like this infantile, ugly-as-sin mistake was instead a flying success worth praising Shang Tsung over and delivering the game's worst bout of exposition since Walt replaced Oswald the Rabbit with Mickey Mouse and then tried to blame it all on the Jews.

(Okay, so Shao Kahn IS Walt Disney...)

Kitana is tossed out like Windows XP and replaced with... well, the equivalent of Windows Vista.

(It's better in every way... except not)

Thus Mileena (I love how he names her like he got a new puppy) is introduced in modern day, with the mental maturity of a Rugrat, the fighting experience of Neo (pre-Matrix), and none of the tension, past, or personal stakes in the battle that she had before. Oh, sure, her bio says she wants to please her "father" (wouldn't Shang Tsung, her creator, be her father?), but what is there to do that Kitana wasn't already doing before... and, well, better? She had nearly 10,000 years in the can doing his dirty work. As far as I'm aware, Mileena doesn't do anything worthwhile in the story mode.

("No, I will NOT give you a biscuit until you manage to kill at least ONE person in this Story Mode!")

I only complain because in prior games, she was actually rather brilliant, deceptive, and cunning. She also had an interesting love/hate relationship with Baraka...

(He IS the "Outworld Hugh Jackman")

... that the new game never even acknowledged. In the prior games, particular Deception, she managed to succeed in taking over one of the most powerful realms in the MK universe, deceiving all of Kitana's people, and effectively becoming a force of power and respect in the MK world. All because she was cunning and deceptive.... and because Kitana's lead general was a drunken Bo Rai'Cho.

("Is that you Kitana? *hic* Huh? Have all our best warriors leave the city unguarded? *burp* Okay princess!")

To be fair, Bo Rai'Cho wasn't the most observant of Edenia's leaders.

("What was that Princess Kitana? *belch* Take my pants off and bend over? *hic* Whatever you say!")

Mileena's story sadly didn't go anywhere, and she regressed heavily in this game. She was still vicious and ugly, but she became just a dumb monster in this game instead of the tragic villain the prior games, comics, and bios painted her as. She went from a ruthless, dark, cunning badass to a manic, petulant, rather grating adult-child with daddy issues.

(Of all things to draw inspiration from, the new Star Wars trilogy should not be one of them.)

MILEENA'S FUTURE
For all Mileena's pitfalls in this game, she did emerge unscathed in the end.

(Well, apart from being electrocuted on the bridge)

There was even talk of Mileena succeeding Kahn as his successor and becoming Queen Mileena, ruler of all Outworld.

("I'm sure we can trust someone that's not even a year old mentally to run a kingdom full of monsters, demons, and warmongers. No worries.")

I won't lie; there are a lot of interesting angles to go over and discuss with Mileena that the Story Mode glossed over or left open for future games. Mileena, in particular, has been a woman that lived in the shadow of her sister and in the service of her "daddy" Khan, and now both of them are gone. What will a liberated Mileena do with her newfound independence?

(Probably drive Daddy's expensive car)

Still, even with all that occurred in MK2011, we never really got a grasp of how Mileena felt... about anything. Does she know she's a clone? Does she hate and resent her sister? Is she still jealous of her sister's beauty and power (well, probably not now since Kitana's worm food)? How did Sindel react to a clone of her daughter being Kahn's "new" daughter (did that make Sindel a mommy to her too?) Does she have any ambitions now of her own?

I'm more curious how she can say her "P"s when she has no lips.

Ultimately, though, Mileena is definitely a good character with some misplaced priorities and ham-fisted handling. She plays phenomenally well (go EVO!), stands unique as one of the most freakish characters in a game full of freaks, and has perhaps the greatest Challenger Tower mission out of the entire lot of 300.

(Hnngh! My heart!)

Still... she had some serious problems too. Her storyline became a bit of a mess, she stole Kira's fatality, and her outfits single-handedly made gamers everywhere groan in a collective sigh so powerful that we've shifted the course of global trade winds.

(This.... this was not worth fighting through 300 challenge missions for. Not by the most insane stretch of imagination, reason, or even moon logic. And yet Rule 34 guarantees SOMEONE fapped to this... *shudder*).

So, Mileena ultimately was a bittersweet treat in this game. She rocked the gameplay, embarrassed fashion in a way Lady Gaga never could, and her story took a nose-dive with just enough cushion to allow for a rebound. Here's hoping for a perkier future for her (get your mind out of the gutters) and here's hoping she gets more fleshed out (out! Out! The gutter is dirty!).

So, that's Mileena. So sound off on this butterface! Do you like her? LOVE her? HATE her? Do you think she has potential in the future games? Did you prefer her original storyline? What's your stance on MK's most famous hideous vixen?

And let me know who you'd like me to cover next!

Okay everyone. Been fun. Garlador out.
jadeinchains
08/18/2011 01:07 AM (UTC)
Mileena's my second fave.Also i really dislike her not growing up as Kitana's sister it weakened both of their over all storylines. Also i've said this in both of your other discussions ... Make one for Jade ... please. grin
drpvfx
About Me

08/18/2011 01:09 AM (UTC)
Nice post.
I'll probably catch shit for this,
but Mileena *really* disappointed me this go round.
I'm not even going to touch upon how much they ruined her character-
you did a great job of that already wink

Mileena's always been one of my mains, since MKII.
I was really looking forward to her in this game,
but I ended up disappointed by her gameplay.

She only has *one* move she didn't have in MKII.
Her combos are a bit weird and hard to pull off
(and this is coming from a Rain Main).
Her "Rip Off" Fatality is *very* appropriately named,
since it's a total ripoff of Kira's.
Her Babality is arguably the worst in the game.

All in all, highly disappointed.
But there's always hope for her in MK10 grin
mkwhopper
08/18/2011 01:10 AM (UTC)
Again Garlador, you are fucking awesome with the threads
totheark
08/18/2011 01:36 AM (UTC)
Great analysis of my all-time favorite game character!

You have no idea how many face-palms and sighs of dissapointment I've went through seeing my girl being brushed off as a high-pitched, dim-witted slutty character with absolutely no thought put into her royalty or origins.

Who exactly is appealed by this behavior? I sure WAS NOT. It was just to boring and naive to make Mileena into an honroable and intelligent heir-to-the-throne indivisual wasn't it.

MK10. Cut the bull and make these fighters something more than what they've been portrayed in this installment.

Now...a Sonya Blade discussion will be oodles of noodles.
SmokeNc-017
About Me
art by fear-sAs
08/18/2011 01:46 AM (UTC)
Ok, I'm going to start with the outfit thing first.

Her only real flaw in that department is that she's wearing a strip of duct tape that you had to go through 300 cock sucking missions in order to unlock. Certainly not the best prize. But her primary and alternate, are fine examples of her character, even though the alt kind of takes time-space and snaps it over it's knee with a sickening crack. It was a take on her Deception outfit, maybe a few more straps and a bit less underboob showing, but you saw the roots.

Her gameplay is solid. I'm not a mileena player by any means, but I've put some time into the character, I've had fun, I think she's probably my second most played female fighter behind Jade. As for her stealing Kira's fatality, well, Kira is a shit character as it stands right now, so I'm okay with this. A Black Dragon version of Sonya with Kano's cannonball move, oh my head spins with the creativity that was put into this one...Plus, giving Mileena Kira's fatality isn't the first time finishers were swapped. Sub-Zero stole Kano's skeleton rip from MK3 in DA, Jarek stole Kano's eye lazer/heart rip in MK4. Cyrax stole Smoke's Armageddon in MKGold, Scorpion took Sub-Zero's spine rip in MKD, who in turn took it from the Predator in MK1. (Yes, the Predator is not an MK character, but he fucking should be. There are enough references to him in MK as it is.)

Now let's talk about the character of Mileena itself. People said that she's this tragic villain, making it seem like Kahn beat her with the weekly edition of Outworld News or something over a 10,000 year period. But, nothing really indicates that Mileena was mistreated to begin with. Yeah Kitana might have been the favorite child of Kahn, but if she was his right hand, Mileena was his left, and he was ambidextrous. Kitana and Mileena were his top assassins, standing in high regard with the perverted Emperor of outworld. Yes, Mileena was jealous of her sister, but what siblings aren't? I never bought into the whole tragic figure personally. There's no real proof that she was a tragedy to begin with. We're supposed to feel sorry for her because she's got royal blood and the fighting instincts of one of the most feared races in Outworld? That sounds like a win-win to me.

"Awww. Poor Mileena. She has a sarclac pit for a mouth and is now unable to suck a cock for fear of lacerating somebody on the way down" is not a mind set I've ever bought into. Maybe it's because I never read the Malibu comics. But since those were non-canon, I don't think a small snippet of Mileena tearing up when she hears Kahn proclaim as his favorite is enough evidence to supper the "tragic" aspect of the character.

Arthas from WarCraft is a tragic character. Sarah Kerrigan is a tragic character. Darth Vader is a tragic character, Kain from LoK is a tragic character, Bane from Batman can be a tragic character. There's nothing in the first time line that suggests Mileena falls into that category. So she gets killed in MK3 and then resurrected to fight at Shinnok's side in MKG. She makes out pretty well all things considered a decade later when she takes control of Edenia. All things considered, she's done well for herself before the Armageddon, aside from being killed in MK3.

As for the new time line, eh, she's a mentally unstable nympho-maniac that's loyal to Kahn who was intended on replacing Kitana. And really, who's going to say no to the Emperor of the realm that assimilated your's? Is it a half-baked new origin for the character? Probably. But then again so was trying to stick her as a twin sister to the princes of a realm where the somebody, at some point might've pointed out and said "Wait a minute, Kitana was always an only child". This new origin doesn't paint Mileena as Kitana's twin, it paints her as the eventual replacement. In regards to her feelings to her sister, she seems to have some kind of weird, psychotic love for her at this point. When it comes to her eventual ascension to greatness and power we saw in MKD, well that doesn't happen until a full decade later (allegedly, I don't know how far in the time line MKD takes place in regards to MK4/MKG) so it could still happen in future games, we don't know.

But she still has story potential and I think that's most important right now, regardless of how the character was created in this new timeline.
Mojo6
About Me

08/18/2011 01:50 AM (UTC)
I still maintain that Mileena could be the MK universe Joker equivalent in that she's more maniacally violent than child-like. Or at least... No more child like than the Joker. She has few lines in Story Mode but they're articulate and speak more to a sinister psychotic than a niave school girl.

While I agree that her retcon (which also retconn'd Kahn and Kitana's relationship) was probably not for the best, it doesn't have to be the death knell for hope at some deeper characterization. EDIT: Oh also... Nice write up as always Garlador. Keep em coming brother. That Broodmother joke made me legitimately laugh out loud. Good shit.
m0s3pH
About Me

Mortal Kombat Online - Community Manager

| Twitch | YouTube | Lawful Chaos |

Signature and avatar by ThePredator151

08/18/2011 03:29 AM (UTC)
I love Mileena's gameplay and her primary outfit in this game. Oh, and the fact that she survived is pretty cool, too.

That said, I dislike everything about her new story, the flesh pits outfit, her alt outfit (I didn't like it in MKD and it isn't any better here) and her fatalities. Let's start with the story.

OK, I think most of us would agree that Mileena probably had one of the five best storylines in MK (Sub-Zero, Reptile, Kitana, and Smoke are the other four, in my mind) during the old timeline. I also think that we can agree that what they did in this game was take that great story and completely nuke it. No longer is Mileena a terror in the storyline, she has instead been turned into a total also-ran villain who, now that Kitana, Jade, Shao Kahn, and Sindel are all dead, really isn't connected to any other characters (since any involvement with her and Baraka is also gone unless things occurred off-screen). Perhaps Shinnok finds a use for her, but that remains to be seen. Whatever happens, I'm too mentally scarred by the "creative" decisions made by NRS here to really care about where they take her next.

Now, her outfits. I'm going to echo the sentiments here and say that the flesh pits costume was not worth the time it took to get it. It really seemed like a throwaway by NRS:

Boon: OK, so we've got this challenge tower, what should we give people for completing it?
Beran: How about Rain? There's a pretty strong contingent that wants him in the game, and we didn't include him in anything as of yet.
Boon: Nope, that's stupid. Let's charge those kids $5 for him instead and destroy our most popular character by turning him into a cyborg. Robots are cool.
Vogel: What about a character that nobody expects us to put in... Kenshi, Bo' Rai Cho, Skarlet perhaps?
Boon: WAT? GTFO, go back to destroying the story like I asked.
Forden: OK, so no character then. Maybe we should give each character a third costume, that will make it worthwhile.
Boon: Dan, we've been over this. Your job is to get kicked in the nuts and immediately yell "TOASTY". Not suggest things.
Tobias: You know, these guys have good ideas, you should probably listen.
Boon: And you made Tao Feng. Shut up. Let's just throw another nearly naked Mileena in and call it a day.

EDIT: Yes, I know that Tobias left the team way back when. Call it a cameo.

Yep, it probably went something like that.

Finally, the fatalities. They don't do it for me. I get that Mileena is now this childish sex freak, but then her MKD fatality, and you guys know which one I'm talking about, would have been more fitting than her first one. Don't get me started on the recycle, either. Can't really say that I like any of her other fatalities enough to ask for a redo, since her sai surgery fatality from MK2 is now her X-Ray. I'd like to see an original fatality for her next time around.

That's about all from me, great thread as always Garlador.
Insider2000
About Me

Keep dunking your Kenshi breadsticks into your Skarlet sauce, people! The main course isn't coming for a while, and you never know when it's going to be disappointing.

08/18/2011 04:26 AM (UTC)
Oh my god, you kill me.

Mileena is probably in my top 10 favorite MK characters. I love her. However...I loved the God I miss her.

I adored that Mileena. And in my eyes, that Mileena died after MK4. She was fueled by hatred and envy, but managed to be understandable. I can understand her emotion. She wasn't a monster, but someone who's been broken down toward the point of hopeless rage. Hell, I liked her more than Kitana during that era, and I like Kitana (still do).

But MAN, do I dislike what she's become. She's isn't a person. She's a thing, now. A sex object meant to add appeal by being as relentless and psychotic as possible. Cause you know, BITCHES BE CRAZY, AND WE LIKE CRAZY BITCHES!

And you know what? Yes. We like crazy bitches.

We like crazy bitches very much. But you know what? At least Harley actually has backstory and a broken and lost mentality that makes her interesting beyond 'just being crazy'. And even with 'crazy bitches', there is some way to connect or understand them.

I don't know how ANYONE....ANYONE could relate with this Mileena. She's not even 'fun' crazy. She's just crazy. And while I do miss classic Mileena, I wouldn't be upset if they actually managed to do a decent 'crazy bitch' Mileena. This isn't a decent 'crazy bitch' Mileena.

Save for the teddy bear antics, Mileena is just a child. Illogical. Pointless. Crazy. She has no purpose beyond, "Yes, Daddy. Anything you say, Daddy." And I can only pray that changes in MK10. *sigh*

I don't even know. Mileena is probably my biggest issue with MK9.

In the meantime....Stryker....love of my life..... Do me a favor.

Thaaaaaank you. Still, Mileena is probably one of my all time favorite female characters. Hard to beat Sonya, Sareena, and Kitana though.
Rockchalk5477
08/18/2011 04:40 AM (UTC)
Excellent thread once again!

Mileena used to be my favorite female character in the series (storyline-wise) until this stupid retcon. Not only does she look absolutely nothing like Kitana, she's a blithering idiot, and nymphomaniac (pretty much.)

I liked the manipulative Mileena, working in the shadows, hoping to kill and replace her sister. That neat rivalry is gone now. Instead, we get Kitana pitying Mileena (based off of her stupid ending), and Mileena somehow coming to terms with her.
That rivalry was 100 times cooler than the Sonya-Kano one we've been force-fed for 19 years.

Sad what's happened to her....maybe some day they'll retcon it back. *sigh*

As for next week's discussion, how about Kenshi, Stryker, or Kabal...? smile
Insider2000
About Me

Keep dunking your Kenshi breadsticks into your Skarlet sauce, people! The main course isn't coming for a while, and you never know when it's going to be disappointing.

08/18/2011 04:47 AM (UTC)
What if something happens with the story where the characters from the original timeline were not replaced, but instead, created into an alternate dimension, and through god knows what means, the timelines are merged, bring characters from both timelines together.

Thus, we'd have classic Mileena and MK9 Mileena. Hopefully MK9 Mileena gets axed.

And then we can have the heroes who died who are still alive in the old timeline face off against their zombie selves.

Two Strykers!

NOW THAT is doubling your pleasure.

EDIT: Stupid Harry Met Sally gifs, they all suck.
StatueofLiberty
08/18/2011 04:48 AM (UTC)
Do Hsu Hao.
[Killswitch]
About Me

Shao Kahn did nothing wrong

08/18/2011 04:51 AM (UTC)
Insider, you have a very unhealthy relationship with Mr. Stryker.

Anyways, Gar you have done it again. Excellent read, and I'm looking forward to the next KOTW as always.
Espio872
08/18/2011 05:02 AM (UTC)
I really hope you keep doing these, such great reads.

My thoughts on Mileena.

That chick is a crazy as all hell, if Mileena didn't already have a great story in the original canon, I wouldn't mind her new child like and crazy self, the only good thing about her story retcon is that it gives Mileena a new direction to go into instead of just being obsessed with making Kitana pay, but who am I kidding, I would have loved to see tragic villian Mileena stay canon, give her a reason for her instability, cunning behavior, and such.

Gameplay wise: Mileena is my spam buster character, that chick is my savior when it comes to cheap players, she shuts ish down.

I never took an interest in Mileena until this game and I must say I love her gameplay and her taunts, "let us dance." One of the most appropriate and timeless fighting lines ever, I'm also a big fan of her, 'Don't be mad" line.

I enjoy her combos, though I only know about 4, she's a ton of fun to play as this go round.

The good news is that she survived and is basically a shoe in for the sequel, yay!

I'd love to see you do either Sareena, Rain, or Havik, but regardless of who you do, I'm sure it will be goldensmile
wdm6789
08/18/2011 05:19 AM (UTC)
Mileena's retcon is awful. Ruined her backstory, as well as Kitana's and kinda Shao Khan too. Her costumes are good. They should be much less revealing. All the female's costume should be less revealing. Mileena's primary is nice, I like how it still has the classic motif still there, but its literally some straps, they could have more skin covered. Mileena's alt is very cool too. The random straps look dumb though, and I hate how the ass cape is worn like a backwards apron, same with Kitana's alt. They should have somehow made it cover her whole back ass well more like the MKD costume.
stinky_thc_cloud
08/18/2011 05:44 AM (UTC)
To bad about this retcon. Heres hoping they just wow us in the next game and shut us up.

Yes she was kinda shit in this story but man so much potential for where it could go.

PIPE DREAM STORY: Im not even going to get into if she will rule or not. But I hope she has SOME emotion in the next game. Yes shes an abomination but have u ever seen frankentien (or better yet bride of frankenstien, when he befriends the blind guy that is one of the most touching moments in cinema imo).

What im getting at is she will want a sister. She was made as a twin, Soooo. She gets somone to make her a sister KITANA 2.0 MUWHAHAHAH (call me a silly, but i think they could actually do sommthin with that if the writing gets a hell of a lot better)

Kitana was shit in this game to imo. This could make a more complex kitana (though technically not kitana, she can do her thing in netherealm)
Harle
08/18/2011 06:00 AM (UTC)
Mileena is an unfortunate casualty of this time warp, despite her story mode survival.

So.... Let's do the time warp again!

Gameplay: This is my favorite Mileena. She is a character who I feel just does not work in a 3-d environment... Roll=linear, Teleport=linear, etc.... But in this game, she is fantastic. She may not be top tier, but she is challenging and tactical, which is better than STRONG AND AWESOME. She can adapt to any situation and playing her is never, ever boring.

Look: *sigh* ..... What can I say? She was whored up to the extreme and I can't say I approve. I want Mileena to flaunt her body, the only good thing about her appearance, I want her to be a sexual character... But I want her to do it in a more seductive way as opposed to being some latex fetish object. Put some transparent fabric on her with visible undergarments perhaps, but don't have her twat hanging out. The eyes, oh... The eyes... I hate the eyes. Make them brown, at the very least, dammit.

Personality: This, I love. Her taunts are fantastic. Every time she says "don't be mad" I giggle maniacally, it's perfect. I like that she dances around as well, keeping her whimsical and not at all concerned with the seriousness of battle. I like her childish obsession with pleasure(not just lust, but gluttony as well... chomp chomp). It seems that she is actually quite aware, however, and almost like she looks at the world as something she is above and in control of like a box of toys. What I don't like is that we get more glimpses of her personality in story mode than any other punching bag, but we still don't get to see more depth in her character.

Story: I'm more hopeful than disappointed. I was enraged to learn that everything I loved about her was cast aside, but if they do her right she's set up for many potentially great stories in the future. Deeper stories, driven by her complex mental state(assuming there is more to her than what little we saw in this game)

My biggest disappointment: Many signs point to Mileena having been a bit of an afterthought by the developers. I'm not going to list them, but I think it was all by chance that we actually got a decent character in the end.

I hope she returns better than ever next time, because I think the potential is there as long as they don't shit on it.
samuhai
About Me

08/18/2011 07:22 AM (UTC)
Harle Wrote:
Mileena is an unfortunate casualty of this time warp, despite her story mode survival.

Gameplay: This is my favorite Mileena. She is a character who I feel just does not work in a 3-d environment... Roll=linear, Teleport=linear, etc.... But in this game, she is fantastic. She may not be top tier, but she is challenging and tactical, which is better than STRONG AND AWESOME. She can adapt to any situation and playing her is never, ever boring.

Look: *sigh* ..... What can I say? She was whored up to the extreme and I can't say I approve. I want Mileena to flaunt her body, the only good thing about her appearance, I want her to be a sexual character... But I want her to do it in a more seductive way as opposed to being some latex fetish object. Put some transparent fabric on her with visible undergarments perhaps, but don't have her twat hanging out. The eyes, oh... The eyes... I hate the eyes. Make them brown, at the very least, dammit.

Personality: This, I love. Her taunts are fantastic. Every time she says "don't be mad" I giggle maniacally, it's perfect. I like that she dances around as well, keeping her whimsical and not at all concerned with the seriousness of battle. I like her childish obsession with pleasure(not just lust, but gluttony as well... chomp chomp). It seems that she is actually quite aware, however, and almost like she looks at the world as something she is above and in control of like a box of toys. What I don't like is that we get more glimpses of her personality in story mode than any other punching bag, but we still don't get to see more depth in her character.

Story: I'm more hopeful than disappointed. I was enraged to learn that everything I loved about her was cast aside, but if they do her right she's set up for many potentially great stories in the future. Deeper stories, driven by her complex mental state(assuming there is more to her than what little we saw in this game)

My biggest disappointment: Many signs point to Mileena having been a bit of an afterthought by the developers. I'm not going to list them, but I think it was all by chance that we actually got a decent character in the end.

I hope she returns better than ever next time, because I think the potential is there as long as they don't shit on it.
Harle Wrote:

The sad thing is...

We can have "hope" of a good future for Mileena... I mean, they've done a good story for her before, and for others... so we know it's "possible"...

But in all honesty....

I just don't have the faith that they will -_-
Icy_X
08/18/2011 07:53 AM (UTC)
Honestly I've never cared much for Mileena in any game. I don't totally dislike her but don't really find her story interesting or appealing and I've never enjoyed playing with her. I got respect for her nonetheless though.
unseenwombat
08/18/2011 12:52 PM (UTC)
Mileena is my main. I love her gameplay and her personality. Her story sucks, but I like her anyway, and the story is full of holes anyway. What about Raiden sending a message back to himself just at the beginning of MK1 changed tons of events leading up to it? It doesn't make any sense, unless it's an alternate universe, which I don't think is what the story implied. It's the same universe, so why wasn't Mileena created TEN THOUSAND frigg'n years before Raiden received the message? And if his message had that kind of reverberations that far back, why don't we see mastodons in this game? Mastodons would make this game awesome.

samuhai Wrote:

The sad thing is...
We can have "hope" of a good future for Mileena... I mean, they've done a good story for her before, and for others... so we know it's "possible"...
But in all honesty....
I agree. I think they dug themselves too deep in the crappy story hole with Mileena to ever fix it without a glaringly obvious retcon. However, I'd rather have that than have them continue with this dumb story for her. The story is bad all around, full of inconsistencies and plot holes and it just is really a first-class example of careless writing.
samuhai
About Me

08/18/2011 01:53 PM (UTC)
unseenwombat Wrote:
Mileena is my main. I love her gameplay and her personality. Her story sucks, but I like her anyway, and the story is full of holes anyway. What about Raiden sending a message back to himself just at the beginning of MK1 changed tons of events leading up to it? It doesn't make any sense, unless it's an alternate universe, which I don't think is what the story implied. It's the same universe, so why wasn't Mileena created TEN THOUSAND frigg'n years before Raiden received the message? And if his message had that kind of reverberations that far back, why don't we see mastodons in this game? Mastodons would make this game awesome.

samuhai Wrote:

The sad thing is...

But in all honesty....

I agree. I think they dug themselves too deep in the crappy story hole with Mileena to ever fix it without a glaringly obvious retcon. However, I'd rather have that than have them continue with this dumb story for her. The story is bad all around, full of inconsistencies and plot holes and it just is really a first-class example of careless writing.

I'm just so conflicted.

I can't see how the developer's could be SO stupid to voluntarily create such a glaringly A) obvious and B) BAD retcon, completely robbing Mileena of any depth she had........

But then... I also can't see how they'd be so stupid to not remember her (or Kitana's or Shao Kahn's) backstory enough to do it right.

It's so disappointing.

There's a lot of fans who are quite happy with these changes, or with Sub-Zero's or what not, and their excuse seems to be "Well we've already seen the original timeline"...

No. We haven't. We've seen some comics, two average or bad movies and a bunch of text. We've never seen a canon story told this way, and this was the perfect opportunity to create the definitive version.

Instead they rewrote everything. And not just "rebooted" it from scratch. They literally went back in time and wrote over everything that happened. 7/8 games... that are no irrelevant, story wise.

/rant
*grumble*
NoobSaibot5
08/18/2011 01:58 PM (UTC)
The Mileena I grew to know and love was the Mileena from Mortal Kombat Deception. She was cunning, secretive, alluring and seductive whilst still being incredibly manipulative and intelligent. Her primary outfit showed just enough skin for her to fit into the MK women's fashion sense yet still had an air of regal authority about it too. It was the best portrayal she ever had. Hell, even her bio and ending in Armageddon was enjoyable. I liked the way her ultimate revenge was to imprison the now horrific Kitana and watch as she becomes insane in the palace dungeons. Horrific, yet genius.

I grew up playing as Mileena, so she's always been a favourite of mine. To see her going from one of Khan's top assassin's along with Kitana, to her origins being revealed, killed by her twin sister and respawned by Shinnok with the ability to read Kitana's mind was excellent. However, I always wanted to see what the pay off for all of that would be. She finally acchieved that in Deception, she really stepped up to the plate in that game and played the heroes for fools. Not bad for a failed clone!

In this new game though, they've scooped out everything that was intriguing and interesting about Mileena and left her as a hollowed shell of what she once was. Bar a few saving graces (like her entrance pose and her taunts), she's got nothing going for her now and in my opinion ended up worse off than the likes of Stryker, Kitana, Sindel or Jade by the end of the story. She's literally been dumbed down to the point where she's just a pair of tits with some teeth, and that's about it. Everything that made her sexuality sexy was scooped out for visual sex appeal.

I'm a gay man but I even found Mileena sexy prior to this game. She had a dangerously seductive vibe about her, and the mindset of a predator., like Megan Fox in Jennifer's Body. Even her body language in her victory poses and fatality poses in Deception portrayed her to be a woman who was incredibly sexually expressive, but dark, sinister and somewhat playful about it (which actually made her hotter). Back in the old games she relied on her beautiful body and incredibly sharp mind to entice her opponents, where as in this game it's an outfit that consists of straps and some bare skin which does the work for her.

Call me crazy with a K, but I thought she was at her hottest when you had a reason to root and cheer for her. Back when she clearly felt jealous and inadequate in comparisson to the perfect Kitana and tried to replace her sister as Princess, she was relatable and endearing in an underdog sort of manner. Now that the rivalry between the sisters is gone, Mileena has no real foundation to lift off from. The only thing that gives her anything to springboard off of is Shao Khan's death, which only occurs at the end of Story Mode. Prior to that she has no incentive to be in charge of Outworld, no rivalry's with other characters or no story to connect with bar her incredibly rushed and badly executed origins in the Flesh Pits. She's just kind of created, introduced, and that's that. She doesn't develop at all during this story mode which is a disgrace considering the story is taking place in one of the most crucial times in her whole history.

Even IF she does go on to become Empress of Outworld, there's been no character development during this game that allows that transition to become more palatable in the next game. Are people seriously able to accept the fact that a woman with a 4 year old's mentality is capable of rulling an entire realm? And even if she does somehow manage to miraculously mature in the space of time that takes place between the end of this game and the start of MK10, would you believe she'd still be capable of rulling?

I know as a Mileena fan that I'd be looking at her in the next game saying to myself "So she went from having the mentality of a 4 year old to being strategic, calculating and mature enough to rule over an entire realm in the space of a single game??". I for one wouldn't buy it.

Having said that, her gameplay is excellent in this game and really suits my playstyle. I main her quite a bit online and was surprised to hear she's not one of the most used online due to her ability to stop nearly any character in their tracks. The only thing I'd like is for her recovery on her ground roll to be a bit quicker, as she tends to stay in the air for a very long time once it's been blocked, and for it to strike as a low attack (after all, she is rolling on the GROUND). I love her first fatality, I only do her second one on the cyborgs (Cause I dont want her eating metal faces haha), and her theme tune by Tokimonsta is still my favourite track on the album.

In summary, I think a character who already had so much going for her was left severly brain damaged and tainted for the sake of sex appeal, which is an awful pity considering at one point she was one of the most calculating, intelligent and sexually alluring warrior's on the roster. Bar some saving graces and decent gameplay, the Mileena in this game has been a powerful backhand slap to the face of the Mileena we grew to know over the years by NRS's writing team. If we ever saw the Mileena we seen in Deception come back again, I'd welcome it. However if the Mileena we know now was killed off permanently, I probably wouldn't mind it. It's like looking at a different character entirely, an imposter of an imposter. And to me, that's an awful pity.
Shadaloo
About Me
MK Khronology: 58.49% complete...
08/18/2011 03:00 PM (UTC)
Not much to say that ain't already been said. I hope against hope that they just chuck this retcon in the bin for the next game, pretend Kitana's chapter never happened. Wouldn't be much of a stretch.

What struck me most about Story was how well the characters' personalities were portrayed, with a few major exceptions (Johnnyboughtacar, etc.). And man, did they ever whip one up for Mileena. Crazy psycho newborn. It's great. But it was nowhere near worth tossing out her prior continuity over. That's my issue; it just feels like they developed personalities first and foremost, without care for established history. It worked for most of the cast, but not Mileena. They could have easily depicted her as crazy as she is in this game without tossing out half of what made her great. I wouldn't call her tragic either, but she was complex. It's a crime that that's gone.

(As an aside, I still maintain MK1-3 are canon games - just heavily, heavily retconned. 'Old canon' and 'new canon' my aunt fanny. :P)
jadeinchains
08/18/2011 03:17 PM (UTC)
NoobSaibot5 Wrote:
The Mileena I grew to know and love was the Mileena from Mortal Kombat Deception. She was cunning, secretive, alluring and seductive whilst still being incredibly manipulative and intelligent. Her primary outfit showed just enough skin for her to fit into the MK women's fashion sense yet still had an air of regal authority about it too. It was the best portrayal she ever had. Hell, even her bio and ending in Armageddon was enjoyable. I liked the way her ultimate revenge was to imprison the now horrific Kitana and watch as she becomes insane in the palace dungeons. Horrific, yet genius.

I grew up playing as Mileena, so she's always been a favourite of mine. To see her going from one of Khan's top assassin's along with Kitana, to her origins being revealed, killed by her twin sister and respawned by Shinnok with the ability to read Kitana's mind was excellent. However, I always wanted to see what the pay off for all of that would be. She finally acchieved that in Deception, she really stepped up to the plate in that game and played the heroes for fools. Not bad for a failed clone!

In this new game though, they've scooped out everything that was intriguing and interesting about Mileena and left her as a hollowed shell of what she once was. Bar a few saving graces (like her entrance pose and her taunts), she's got nothing going for her now and in my opinion ended up worse off than the likes of Stryker, Kitana, Sindel or Jade by the end of the story. She's literally been dumbed down to the point where she's just a pair of tits with some teeth, and that's about it. Everything that made her sexuality sexy was scooped out for visual sex appeal.

I'm a gay man but I even found Mileena sexy prior to this game. She had a dangerously seductive vibe about her, and the mindset of a predator., like Megan Fox in Jennifer's Body. Even her body language in her victory poses and fatality poses in Deception portrayed her to be a woman who was incredibly sexually expressive, but dark, sinister and somewhat playful about it (which actually made her hotter). Back in the old games she relied on her beautiful body and incredibly sharp mind to entice her opponents, where as in this game it's an outfit that consists of straps and some bare skin which does the work for her.

Call me crazy with a K, but I thought she was at her hottest when you had a reason to root and cheer for her. Back when she clearly felt jealous and inadequate in comparisson to the perfect Kitana and tried to replace her sister as Princess, she was relatable and endearing in an underdog sort of manner. Now that the rivalry between the sisters is gone, Mileena has no real foundation to lift off from. The only thing that gives her anything to springboard off of is Shao Khan's death, which only occurs at the end of Story Mode. Prior to that she has no incentive to be in charge of Outworld, no rivalry's with other characters or no story to connect with bar her incredibly rushed and badly executed origins in the Flesh Pits. She's just kind of created, introduced, and that's that. She doesn't develop at all during this story mode which is a disgrace considering the story is taking place in one of the most crucial times in her whole history.

Even IF she does go on to become Empress of Outworld, there's been no character development during this game that allows that transition to become more palatable in the next game. Are people seriously able to accept the fact that a woman with a 4 year old's mentality is capable of rulling an entire realm? And even if she does somehow manage to miraculously mature in the space of time that takes place between the end of this game and the start of MK10, would you believe she'd still be capable of rulling?

I know as a Mileena fan that I'd be looking at her in the next game saying to myself "So she went from having the mentality of a 4 year old to being strategic, calculating and mature enough to rule over an entire realm in the space of a single game??". I for one wouldn't buy it.

Having said that, her gameplay is excellent in this game and really suits my playstyle. I main her quite a bit online and was surprised to hear she's not one of the most used online due to her ability to stop nearly any character in their tracks. The only thing I'd like is for her recovery on her ground roll to be a bit quicker, as she tends to stay in the air for a very long time once it's been blocked, and for it to strike as a low attack (after all, she is rolling on the GROUND). I love her first fatality, I only do her second one on the cyborgs (Cause I dont want her eating metal faces haha), and her theme tune by Tokimonsta is still my favourite track on the album.

In summary, I think a character who already had so much going for her was left severly brain damaged and tainted for the sake of sex appeal, which is an awful pity considering at one point she was one of the most calculating, intelligent and sexually alluring warrior's on the roster. Bar some saving graces and decent gameplay, the Mileena in this game has been a powerful backhand slap to the face of the Mileena we grew to know over the years by NRS's writing team. If we ever saw the Mileena we seen in Deception come back again, I'd welcome it. However if the Mileena we know now was killed off permanently, I probably wouldn't mind it. It's like looking at a different character entirely, an imposter of an imposter. And to me, that's an awful pity.

I feel the same way about all of this minus the gay part Mileena's new story is ... to put it nicely lacking.

PS:I love your sig! grin
LucaTurilli
08/18/2011 03:23 PM (UTC)
I fap to Mileena 34 times a day.
Pages: 5
Download on the App StoreGet it on Google Play
© 1998-2024 Shadow Knight Media, LLC. All rights reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Mortal Kombat, the dragon logo and all character names are trademarks and copyright of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.