Mick-Lucifer
About Me

What do you like? Hit the Toasty thumbs up on articles and forum posts for a quick response!
06/05/2014 01:28 AM (UTC)
- The Little Dum Dum Club: Episode 189 - Shaun Micallef & Josh Earl

Oh boy! SHAUN MICALLEF was on the podcast, and we managed to not delete the episode! Good ol’ buddy and Spicks and Specks host JOSH EARL also joins us, as we get into the differences between Mad Magazine and Cracked, try and work out what is going on with Mickey and Goofy and hear about Shaun’s almost movie career. PLUS Karl wrote a letter one time, and Tommy’s had dinner with his parents!

Australian comedian Shaun Micallef is probably one of my heroes. His straight-man presence and plunges into absurdity could make him compared to a Leslie Nielson, or Steve Martin. Oh yeah, he's got fairly white hair, so he's also a lot like Bill Clinton, Santa Claus & the albino from The Da Vinci Code. The podcast is a relatively sedate affair. You won't get a sense of his comedy, but it's a nice conversation. Josh Earl is swell, too. He's the one with the pre-pubescent voice who doesn't talk as much. (The other one is host Tommy Dassalo). A good listen for some light fun and discussions about MAD Magazine, its inferior versions and counterparts, and living the dream of The Simpsons MAD offices visit.
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

What do you like? Hit the Toasty thumbs up on articles and forum posts for a quick response!
06/17/2014 10:34 PM (UTC)
- Now Playing Podcast: 2001 and 2010 Space Odyssey Retrospective Series Episode 1: 2001: A Space Odyssey

Stanley Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey changed film forever. Its effects created a visual language that would later be built on in George Lucas' Star Wars, Ridley Scott's Alien, Steven Spielberg's Close Encounters of the Third Kind, and countless other movies. Yet upon its release it was widely panned, and to this day the film has divided audiences. Some call it a bona fide cinema classic, others call it incomprehensible. Which side is right? Maybe both? Now join Stuart, Arnie, and Jakob on this podcast odyssey and find out!

- Now Playing Podcast: 2001 and 2010 Space Odyssey Retrospective Series Episode 2: 2010: The Year We Make Contact

By 1984 Kubrick's 2001 was considered a film classic and the forefather of the modern science fiction film. But while Arthur C. Clarke continued the Odyssey on the page it wasn't until 1984 that moviegoers got to find out what happened to Dave Bowman, the star child, and the mysterious monolith. With Kubrick uninterested in making another space film, could any other director fill those shoes, and were they foolish to try? Make contact with Stuart, Jakob, and Arnie on this podcast to find out!

As much fun as it is to just float in good movies, I've got to think these are great entry level reviews, as well. They tackle some of the loftier ideas in play, but also illuminate the basics in a very accessible way. Especially good if you've never quite got around to 2010 -- which I hadn't. Now more curious than ever! Informative and enjoyable listening.
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

06/25/2014 09:09 AM (UTC)
- Place to Be Podcast Episode 316: SummerSlam 2002

In this episode of the Place to Be Podcast, Justin and Scott head into the Vintage Vault for SummerSlam 2002. They talk about Rey Mysterio, Ric Flair, Chris Jericho, Edge, Shawn Michaels, Brock Lesnar and much more. So fire up this action-packed episode and join Scott and Justin because it is time for another edition of the PTB Podcast!

- Place to Be Podcast Episode 317: Unforgiven 2002

In this episode of the Place to Be Podcast, Justin and Scott head into the Vintage Vault for Unforgiven 2002. They talk about Brock Lesnar, the Undertaker, Triple H, RVD, Ric Flair and much more.

- Place to Be Podcast Episode 319: No Mercy 2002

In this episode of the Place to Be Podcast, Justin and Scott head into the Vintage Vault for No Mercy 2002. They talk about Brock Lesnar, the Undertaker, Triple H, Kane, Katie Vick and much more.

Catching up on recent episodes of the Place To Be Podcast Vintage Vault episodes. For me, this is really hitting the sweet spot of what was quite possibly the last, consistently satisfying year or so of WWE Wrestling. From King of the Ring onward, 2002 was really finding a groove on the back of some of the best talent they've seen. Combinations situating the likes of the rising Brock Lesnar, Kurt Angle, Chris Benoit, Eddie Guerrero and others across the cards made for some truly classic events.

No Mercy (2002) remains one of my favourite PPV cards of all time. There are some major highlights, but even with those the show is greater than the sum of its parts. It's a card with a tremendous amount of variety, quality, flow and development. 2002 had several strong cards, but top to bottom it is one of the greats. It certainly wasn't all great. The shows capture some of the lesser elements - in particular infamous storylines leading into the show. A great way to revisit a great time, though.
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

07/28/2014 03:10 PM (UTC)
- What a horrible night to have Retronauts Pocket Episode 25

Our current run of Retronauts is winding down, and this marks my last stint in the hosting chair for this season. After venturing out into the terrifying world of unfamiliar UK games from the ’80s last week, I felt compelled to scurry back to the comforting embrace of the familiar this time around. Yes, it’s a return to that most abused and tired of classic Retronauts topics, Castlevania.

Since all those old episodes have long since vanished into the ether, we figured, “Why not?” We’ll almost certainly be revisiting topics from the older, now-missing seasons of Retronauts in the next phase of the show. Consider this a sort of warning shot, I suppose.

Not really much to say here except that the music is from the Akumajou Dracula MIDI Collection album, and also thanks! It’s been an interesting and sometimes challenging run fielding your various topic requests, and I hope you’ve enjoyed what we’ve put together over the past year. Thank you for your support, and I’m sure you’ll hear me stambling my way through hosting duties again in the not-too-distant future.

- Retronauts Vol. III Episode 25: (Union) Jack in for 100 minutes of ’80s games history

In the many years we’ve been doing Retronauts (the show is almost eligible to be its own topic at this point), our one big weakness has been our coverage of ’80s UK gaming. This has made many people angry and is widely considered... well, kind of inevitable, really. The British 8-bit microcomputer scene of the ’80s was very specific to Britain; outside of the Commodore 64, all the systems that defined the decade for England never really had much availability or impact beyond the English Channel. Though it would prove to be a fertile ground for major players who remain active today (Jeff Minter! Codemasters! DMA Designs aka Rockstar North! Psygnosis aka Sony Liverpool! Peter Molyneux! Rare!), the actual games that those legendary designers and studios created rarely left the UK.

The importance of the scene has made it a crucial gap for the show, but the insularity of the scene has made it difficult to speak to it with any authority, what with us being outsiders and all. So, for my final episode of this backer-supported season of Retronauts — for which you can thank one Mike Wasson, by the way — I could think of no more appropriate scheme than to rectify Retronauts’ greatest failing at long last by tracking down someone who actually lived in the UK and followed the gaming scene.

Handily, this required almost zero effort on my part, given that Bob and I happen to work with an icon of the ’80s UK gaming press: USgamer editor-at-large Jaz Rignall, who covered the 8-bit micro scene as a feisty teenager back in Thatcher’s England. We did the research for this one, but he fills in the generalities and hearsay with experience and perspective. The result is, I think, one of our best episodes ever (despite so, so many technical issues), a whirlwind tour of a fascinating but (to us) alien facet of game history. I hope you also enjoy it!

Thanks to Jaz for joining in (despite our scheduling the recording session during the World Cup final, sorry!) and to Mike for prompting us to shore up this particular weakness.

A couple of rock solid recent episodes of Retronauts. Been catching up on a few. Might be worth a listen for fan and neophyte alike.
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

11/02/2014 10:20 PM (UTC)
- The NetherKast #1 - Episode 1

Mortal Kombat discussion podcast by MKO users. Make sure you check it out and leave some thoughts in the appropriate thread. First episode covers the returning characters confirmed for Mortal Kombat X.
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

12/05/2014 05:22 AM (UTC)
- Now Playing Podcast: Maniac Retrospective Episode 1: Maniac (1980) [NSFW]

1980 saw the release of several memorable slasher films, including Friday the 13th, Silent Scream, New Year's Evil, and Prom Night. Yet of all the 1980s slashers none may be more controversial than Maniac--a low budget splatter film with its unrated violence and Tom Savini's gore effects. The film has grown a cult following through home video but maniacal murderer Frank still lacks the name recognition of a Jason or a Michael Myers--yet it did warrant a 2012 remake starring Elijah Wood. Does Joe Spinell's psycho killer deserve a place in the pantheon of horror icons? Listen to find out!

Explicit: This is an uncensored podcast which may contain strong language and adult content that is not appropriate for all ages. This podcast may also contains spoilers including plot or ending details.

If you're curious about notorious early 80s horror, or saw the recent Elijah Wood remake vehicle, this might be a good way to dip the toe in.
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

12/18/2014 06:49 AM (UTC)
- The Kevin Kelly Show Episode 24 – Dennis Stamp

On Episode 24 of The Kevin Kelly Show, Kevin welcomes in the one and only Dennis Stamp for a chat! Dennis discusses his involvement with Beyond the Mat, his relationship with Terry Funk, working in the territories, memories of Andre the Giant and Bret Hart, getting fired in various promotions, his Mount Rushmore of Wrestling, his battle with cancer and much, much more. Dennis also shares some of his wrestling poetry, including his poem entitled “I’m Not Booked!”

The single most important wrestling podcast you can listen to in 2014.
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

01/13/2015 06:27 AM (UTC)
- Vikram Chandra: Geek Sublime

Vikram Chandra is a writer and a computer programmer. When he started writing code he said he found it “tepidly interesting”; but it has since become an obsession. Now he loves both, writing fiction and writing code, and his latest book Geek Sublime looks at the relationship between the two.

If you’d describe yourself as a Luddite; don’t switch off. This would be one of the most elegant and informative conversations on writing and language that you’re ever likely to hear.

You’ll learn about ENIAC, Steve Wozniack – the king of code, Sanskrit and just how a code can be beautiful.

Chandra is in conversation with fellow geek, Adam Spencer, also a mathematician and former ABC broadcaster. Their shared enthusiasm for this topic is palpable and makes for a lively discussion.

This talk was one of many recorded at Sydney Writers Festival.

Might help if you have a basic interest in writing and coding, but otherwise still a very interesting listen!
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

01/15/2015 02:40 AM (UTC)
- Now Playing Podcast: Individual Movie Reviews Episode 45: The Dead Zone

After the box office success of Carrie and The Shining move movies based on Stephen King's writings were a guarantee. And following in the footsteps of Brian DePalma and Stanley Kubrick came other stylistic directors, including John Carpenter, Rob Reiner, and David Cronenberg--director of The Dead Zone. Starring Christopher Walken as a psychic trying to stop nuclear war, the film continued King's success in theaters. Does the film hold up over thirty years later? You don't have to see the future to know--just listen to this episode of Now Playing to find out!

Explicit: This is an uncensored podcast which may contain strong language and adult content that is not appropriate for all ages. This podcast may also contains spoilers including plot or ending details.
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

01/30/2015 05:27 AM (UTC)
- Now Playing Podcast: Before... Films Episode 1: Before Sunrise

It is rare for a romance film to get a sequel, but Richard Linklater's Before Sunrise actually got two! Released in 1995, the movie tells of two strangers, Jesse and Céline, and their one night together in Vienna. But nine years later the couple returned in Before Sunset, and then in 2013 their story continued in Before Midnight. What is it about this saga that keeps the actors, director, and audiences coming back for more? Join Arnie, Stuart, and Jakob to find out!

- Now Playing Podcast: Before... Films Episode 2: Before Sunset

It was unexpected that Before Sunrise, the 1995 indie romance film, would get a sequel. Long discussed by stars and director alike, the thought of Céline and Jesse reuniting on screen seemed impossible. Yet in in 2004, nine years after the original's release, audiences were able to reconnect with these two characters. Did the two reunite in Vienna on that train platform, and what are these two like now that they're older? Can they recapture the magic their relationship once held, and can Linklater recapture audience affection for these two lovers? Join Arnie, Stuart, and Jakob to find out!
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

02/04/2015 06:11 AM (UTC)
- Place to Be Podcast Episode 360: No Way Out 2004

In this episode of the Place to Be Podcast, Justin and Scott head into the Vintage Vault for No Way Out 2004. They talk about Rey Mysterio, Paul Heyman, Brock Lesnar, John Cena, Eddie Guerrero and more!

So fire up this action-packed episode and join Scott and Justin because it is time for another edition of the PTB Podcast!

A good show to remember!
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

02/06/2015 06:11 AM (UTC)
- Now Playing Podcast: Before... Films Episode 3: Before Midnight

It's been 18 years since Céline and Jesse met on that Vienna-bound train, both in real life and for the two fictional characters played by Julie Delpy and Ethan Hawke. But where has time taken these two characters? The Before... films are Richard Linklater's precursor to boyhood, returning with the same characters and actors in 1995, 2004, and again most recently in 2013, but has the series grown better with age? Join Jakob, Arnie, and Stuart as they review the final film in this series to find out!
ScorpionEater12
About Me

As Mr. Sloan always says, there is no "I" in team, but there is an "I" in pie. And there's an "I" in meat pie. Anagram of meat is team... I don't know what he's talking about.

02/10/2015 01:58 PM (UTC)
Hey just wanted to see what my fellow MKers listened to as far a podcast as I'm looking for some new ones to listen to.

I currently listen to most of the Smodcast network( Smodcast, Jay & Silent Bob Get Old, Fatman on Batman, etc) & Nerdist. I listen to Joe Rogan's sometimes.

Looking to branch out.

Mick-Lucifer
About Me

02/10/2015 03:37 PM (UTC)
- The Steve Austin Show - Unleashed! Ep. 192 - WWE COO Triple H [NSFW]

WWE COO Triple H sat down with Steve for a live conversation on WWE Network Monday night, and now you can hear it right here! They talk Royal Rumble & Roman Reigns, Daniel Bryan, Triple H's evolution at WWE, NXT, Chynna in the Hall of Fame, CM Punk's departure, Brock Lesnar and Paul Heyman, Rick Flair, NWO vs DX, and Pro Wrestling vs Sports Entertainment.

If you don't have the WWE Network, this is as good a way as any to check out a very informative interview. Well worth a listen if you're interested in the topic. You'll probably know roughly what to expect by now, if you are.
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

02/10/2015 03:41 PM (UTC)
ScorpionEater12 Wrote:
Hey just wanted to see what my fellow MKers listened to as far a podcast as I'm looking for some new ones to listen to.

I currently listen to most of the Smodcast network( Smodcast, Jay & Silent Bob Get Old, Fatman on Batman, etc) & Nerdist. I listen to Joe Rogan's sometimes.

Looking to branch out.

Whole lot of podcast links in this thread. Lots of it is me, but check out page one for some more variety. If you wanna throw out some links to eps of your regulars - please do! We're all looking for good stuff!
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

02/16/2015 12:13 AM (UTC)
- Talk Is Jericho Ep. 116 - Shawn Michaels Pt. 1

Y2J went to the middle-of-nowhere Texas to sitdown with HBK at his ranch, and they talked about raising goats, home schooling kids, electric gates... and oh yeah - pro wrestling! In part 1, you'll hear about The Rockers, Scott Hall, being a small guy in a big man's business, Shawn's first firing from WWE, Pat Patterson, and the beginning of the infamous 2008 Y2J-HBK angle.

- Talk Is Jericho Ep. 117 - Shawn Michaels Pt. 2

Shawn Michaels returns to TIJ to finish his incredible conversation with Y2J. They explain why Vince McMahon & WWE no longer allow blood in the ring (yes, it's their fault). You'll hear what HBK thinks about the time Y2J punched Shawn's wife, Rebecca, the real reason Shawn retired from WWE, and Shawn's side of the Montreal Screw Job story.

I've heard some Shawn Michaels interviews over the past few years that were surprisingly boring. These episodes are well worth the listen! Lots of good topics covered with good conversation and energy.
Brady_Got_Caged
02/16/2015 03:19 AM (UTC)
Talk is Jericho is by far the greatest wrestling podcast out there.
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

02/18/2015 12:29 AM (UTC)
- Place to Be Podcast Episode 363: WrestleMania XX

In this episode of the Place to Be Podcast, Justin and Scott are joined by Marc Clair as they head into the Vintage Vault for WrestleMania XX. They talk about John Cena, Evolution, Mick Foley, Brock Lesnar, Goldberg, Eddie Guerrero, Triple H and more!

So fire up this action-packed episode and join Scott, Justin and Marc as it’s time for another edition of the PTB Podcast!

This one shipped on two DVDs and P2B have broken their revisit into two podcasts. One of the last Wrestlemanias to really hype me up and deliver on the day.

- Retronauts Podcast - When Mortal Kombat Jumped The Shark

In case you missed it - MKO put the spotlight on this one about game series who've jumped the shark. The Retronauts are pretty seasoned gamers, critics and reviewers, but they're obviously not the MK hardcore. I find that an interesting perspective to glean and it wasn't nearly the negative some people might have expected (or interpreted). MK was just a small slice, so there's lots more to hear there.

Brady_Got_Caged Wrote:
Talk is Jericho is by far the greatest wrestling podcast out there.

It's a little hit and miss for me. When it hits - like the Shawn Michaels eps - it's very good though. You listening to any others? On the Podcastone front Jim Ross is a pretty solid bet, but I've been surprised how much I've really enjoyed Steve Austin's analysis shows. Especially if he has a Meltzer, or someone on to review a PPV.
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

02/23/2015 11:34 AM (UTC)
- Feb. 22 Edition of The LAW feat. Jason Hervey

**Jason Agnew and Dan Lovranski recap the WWE Fast Lane event with a full review of the show and all the other news from the past week, your calls and questions

**Jason Hervey of “The Wonder Years” and a former producer at TNA stops by to chat with Jason Agnew about his new WGN reality project, “Outlaw Country”

**Dave Meltzer, Editor of the Wrestling Observer Newsletter

**Title Bout Trivia - win a t-shirt from Barber Shop Window OR ProWrestlingTees.com/LAW

More pro wrestling! A little Fastlane post-show discussion.
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

02/24/2015 02:38 AM (UTC)
- FOFOP #183 - Appeasing Tacoma [NSFW]

Wil is joined by Greg Behrendt to discuss being Kanga-ruined, The Great Gadsby, Pods For The Deaf, The King Sweater, Based On A Real Allegory, The Money Or The Cake Box, William-esq; Publishing and Composing and a plea to End The Mundanity.
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

02/25/2015 03:50 AM (UTC)
- The Little Dum Dum Club: Episode 204 – Lawrence Mooney & Fiona O’Loughlin [NSFW]

Hoo boy! Things get dark this week with LAWRENCE MOONEY and FIONA O’LOUGHLIN. We find out what Lawrence said about Fiona in his interview for Australian Story and we also learn the dark story of Fiona’s alter-ego checking in to... well, just listen to the episode.

- The Little Dum Dum Club: Episode 216 – Fiona O’Loughlin & Lawrence Mooney [NSFW]

After a much talked about record-shattering appearance a couple of months ago, we’ve reunited LAWRENCE MOONEY and FIONA O’LOUGHLIN for another frank and honest conversation, where we basically shut up and just ask them questions.

- The Little Dum Dum Club: Episode 228 – Lawrence Mooney & Fiona O’Loughlin [NSFW]

Because you demanded it, our most popular coupling of all time LAWRENCE MOONEY & FIONA O’LOUGHLIN are back for the third part in our trilogy of grown-up talk. We hear about Lawrence’s recent visit to a town from Fiona’s past, discuss Dassalo’s new found fear of flying and delve into our thoughts on religion, faith and beliefs.

The Australian comedy horror trilogy. This is big boy shit.
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

02/27/2015 08:04 AM (UTC)
- The Steve Austin Show - Ep. 197 - Fast Lane Review with Wade Keller

Wade Keller from ProWrestling Torch joins Steve to break down last Sunday night's Fast Lane WWE PPV. They run down the card, including the 6-man opening match, the Divas match, Daniel Bryan & Roman Reigns, and Cena & Rusev. You'll also hear their thoughts on Bray Wyatt's challenge to The Undertaker, Sting & Triple H's promo, Bad News Barrett's future, and the subdued TV crowd!

I actually really look forward to Austin's PPV review shows, now. With the co-anchors he has, it's been some of the best. Clear, critical, informed.
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

04/29/2015 02:23 PM (UTC)
- Now Playing Podcast: Mad Max Retrospective Series Episode 1: Mad Max

In 1979 a low budget film exploded from down under to become the most profitable film of all time--Mad Max! Shot for less than half a million Australian dollars the movie launched Mel Gibson to stardom and has been a midnight movie staple. What is it about this gritty exploitation film that garners it such acclaim? Hop in and join Stuart, Jakob, and Arnie to find out!

- Now Playing Podcast: Mad Max Retrospective Series Episode 1: Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior

With the success of Mad Max director George Miller had his pick of films to direct, but he chose to return to the post-apocalyptic Australian outback for a second Mad Max film -- The Road Warrior! The budget was bigger, and so were the explosions, but does that make this film better than the original? Listen to find out!

I think these guys tend to get out of their depth when they speculate outside familiar terrain - especially beyond, say, state borders - but if you're looking to get in the mood for Mad Max: Fury Road, it might be worth the refresher (or introduction).
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

04/29/2015 03:33 PM (UTC)
- The Tim Ferris Show: Triple H on Pre-Fight Rituals, Injury Avoidance, and Floyd Mayweather, Jr.

Paul Levesque, more popularly known as Triple H (@TripleH), is a 13-time World Heavyweight Champion in World Wrestling Entertainment, Inc. (WWE). Not only that, he is also the Executive Vice President of talent, live-events, and creative at the WWE.

In this episode we explore everything, including the teachings of Killer Kowalski, how he avoids and repairs injuries (even if on the road 200+ days of the year), pre-game rituals, and habits developed with the support of trainer Joe DeFranco, The Undertaker, and even boxer Floyd Mayweather, Jr..

This podcast is not limited to athletic performance. We dig deep into Triple H’s inspirations, and how he manages his responsibilities as a husband and father of three daughters.

One of the great things about the burgeoning podcast era of wrestling is the way the lid is being lifted even further on some things. Triple H has always been a widely criticized character, but the more he and others talk about his perspective, the more reality and fiction start to separate. He's an interesting guy and clearly a very hard worker. This is a great listen.
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

05/05/2015 06:19 AM (UTC)
- Talk Is Jericho Ep. 135 - William Regal

WWE's William Regal was the first guy that Y2J met at WCW, and you'll hear that story in this fantastic conversation! You'll also hear some of the funnier names that Regal had in his early days, why he owes his big break in America to Bill Watts, what happened at his first WWE tryout, and the real story behind his controversial match with Bill Goldberg. Plus, he speaks candidly about rehab, cleaning up his act, and turning his life around... and reveals the worst thing he sees in wrestling today.

- Talk Is Jericho Ep. 137 - Monday Night Wars - Bischoff vs Prichard

It's the great Monday Night Wars Debate featuring Eric Bischoff for WCW, Bruce Prichard for WWE, & Y2J moderating the discussion! They're covering defections, the NWO, DX invading WCW in a tank, Medusa trashing the belt, Rick Rude doing both shows on the same night, the Montreal Screw Job, the ultimate downfall of WCW, and wait till you hear some of the ideas that never made it to camera! Wow! Plus, Chris & Wise Cousin Chad recount their wild night at the 2015 Rock & Roll Hall of Fame ceremony. Hear who they met, and how!

- Talk is Jericho Ep. 139 - Sheamus

Sheamus is back and he's on TIJ to celebrate! What's up with the new hair? New beard? Being a heel? He tells ya! He's also talking about his WWE tryout with Wade Barrett and Drew McIntyre, kissing Triple H's arse, his 2009 TLC match with John Cena, working stiff vs working strong, missing SummerSlam, WM18, Daniel Bryan, and what you can do with 18-seconds in a pro-wrestling ring!

A few real good eps!
Download on the App StoreGet it on Google Play
© 1998-2024 Shadow Knight Media, LLC. All rights reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Mortal Kombat, the dragon logo and all character names are trademarks and copyright of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.