Site Network Movies Fan Submission Community Media Games News
There are 1 users online.
Username: Password: Save:
MK Online    Kommunity    Show Message
Join MK Online Free or become a Flawless Member for special benefits.
Top MKX Discussions
- Supreme Mortal Kombat Champion Tournament 2017!
- Injustice 2 Fighter Pack 1 Trailer Reveals Sub-Zero & More
- MKX Mobile - Baraka Challenge
- Speculation: Future of Non-Playable Characters In Doubt?
- Mortal Kombat X Mobile Announces Anniversary Update
- Kountdown: Top 10 Supremely Missed in Mortal Kombat X
- Mortal Kombat XL Announce Trailer
- MKX DLC: Unpacking Kombat Pack 2 Characters
- Mortal Kombat X Kombat Pack 2 Trailer - 4 DLC Fighters
- WSJ Reports Mortal Kombat X Sales Exceed Five Million
- Guide: Komplete Mortal Kombat X Brutality List

Register to join the discussion. Share stories via @MK_Online & Facebook.

MK Online User Poll

Best Mobile Challenger?
Baraka (21.3%)
Jade (42.6%)
Lin Kuei Cybers (26.2%)
Freddy Krueger (9.8%)

Forum Listings

MK Online Site Updates
  • December 15th, 2017
    Injustice 2 Limited Console Free Trial [Read On]
  • December 7th, 2017
    Atom Battles Black Manta in Gameplay Trailer [Read On]
  • November 28th, 2017
    Captain Marvel Almost Returned in Injustice Fighter Pack 0 [Read On]
  • November 23rd, 2017
    Mortal Kombat X Mobile - Punk Cassie Challenge [Read On]
  • November 18th, 2017
    Mortal Kombat Funko Store Signing - Sunday [Read On]

Site Themes
You must be logged in to
select themes.

MKO on Twitter

2D Kombat Klassics

Discussing the 2D MK Klassics: Everything from the Original to Rereleases.
Page of 1

Mick-LuciferPosted: 03/25/2014 10:42 PMStatus ::
Feature: The Saga of Mortal Kombat HD

After 20 years as a successful franchise, its the sequel to the eponymous Mortal Kombat that many still regard with fondest memories. For fans who live and bleed Mortal Kombat, however, the tournament-centric original can never be completely forgotten. Such is the dedication of a focused group of industrious fans, who've applied themselves to independently designing and developing a playable revamp of the original dubbed: Mortal Kombat HD.

Determined by consensus; the objective of Mortal Kombat HD was to create a slavishly complete, high definition remake of the 1992 arcade classic. Built from the ground up, using popular 2D freeware engine MUGEN as a playable base and 3D models -- the project would be made of all original resources, designed to imitate the original as exactly as possible. Therein would lie the problem, however, leading to an effective shutdown of any intention to release a working product, rendered by Warner Brothers late last week.

While the enthusiasm of fans may lead them to desire otherwise, Warner Brothers' position represents an open and shut case. Imitation may be the sincerest form of flattery, but it's also a self-evident example of copyright and trademark infringement. Exceptions may exist at the prerogative of intellectual property owners who choose to overlook infringements, but they are always within their rights to shut down unlicensed fan projects.

On the surface, this would appear to be an effective end to the MKHD fan game as it was intended. To release any playable version to the public would be to court personal ruin. No fan will play it. Much less clear, however, is the exact motivation for Warner Brothers' intervention. While there is broad intellectual property protection and brand management to consider -- there is an extensive history behind MKHD.

Work in Progress: Demonstrations of MKHD "Kommunity Edition" show considerable promise.

The fan-made passion project -- initiated late in 2011 -- was to have filled the void of Warner Brothers' own much discussed, but ultimately aborted trilogy of HD klassic remakes (Mortal Kombat, Mortal Kombat II & Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3) [original story].

Art from the project leaked [gallery below], including various images of animality assets and preliminary character design. While the HD digitization process was abandoned - a milque toast version of the Arcade Kollection did eventually find its way to consoles and PC through 2012.

A source that worked on the ill fated official HD Kollection told Mortal Kombat Online, "I wish I knew more of what happened to the game, but no one from the developer side even knew what actually happened. What most of us knew was one day, every [developer] got into a big meeting and WB basically decided to scale down the scope of the game because they thought it was risky to release it close to the release of the latest Mortal Kombat game. The game was only meant to be a filler before the [reboot] was out, so it's understandable why they didn't [want] a full game that would take the sales of the [MK2011]."

Mortal Kombat HD Arcade Kollection Concept Art:

Speculation about the future of HD projects was reignited when NetherRealm Creative Director Ed Boon recently discussed a "Mortal Kombat II Director's Cut" during the Giant Bomb GDC Livestream. Update (May 2): Make-up artist Tanea Brooks has release a gallery of new behind-the-scenes photos from the MKHD shoot.

Though speaking hypothetically and in past-tense about what may simply have been the cancelled HD Kollection; Boon's vernacular of vague details about a specific title [MKII] has inspired hope in the imagination of many fans. Hollywood star Kiefer Sutherland is known to have recently completed work on an unknown Mortal Kombat project, open to similar speculation [full story].

The intervention of Warner Brothers in the fan-made Mortal Kombat HD has been interpreted by some as a question of competition, anticipating a new release. MKOmmunity User and MKHD contributor Gabriel "bleed" Melendez told us, "I received an e-mail from WB asking to get in contact with them, to talk about our fan project, Mortal Kombat HD Kommunity Edition. I did so right away and had a short conversation with someone, [whose] responsibility is to find and deal with copyright infringement. In general terms this person said that we can not release a working game, no matter how small, even if it's free, and we have to remove the website dedicated to its progress, because it crosses the line of what type of fan art is okay with them."

If you thought this might have given bleed the inside track on Warner Brothers' plans, think again; "I don't have any information on what NRS is doing, I can just assume they are always working on the next MK, and hope for an HD upgrade to the classics. So much that I'm willing to spend the time to do it my self."

Excellent: Cage battles Sub-Zero in fans' classic arena Shang Tsung's Throne Room!

On the future of the Mortal Kombat HD "Kommunity Edition", bleed offered some hope for fans eager to see more and possibly get their hands on elements, "I asked a few questions to see what is acceptable, and it sounded like anything but a working game would be fine. Posting artwork on the forums or a personal website is not a problem. I then asked if a working game is the problem, can I release parts of it? A character for example, like you see all over with MUGEN and mods. They were not sure about this, they would have to ask someone higher up, but that it's probably not allowed, because technically fan art is copy right infringement. If you make some drawings, no problem, but as soon as you get something playable, they raise an eyebrow."

"I took it as a fun learning experience, working on something of interest while improving my skills in art. I never thought of competing with the real MK, it wasn't even the idea."

Would you like to see an official Mortal Kombat HD come to life? Share your thoughts about the fan project and official MKHD on the forums! Find and support other fan projects in the Fan Submission forum!

FROIDPosted: 03/25/2014 11:30 PMStatus ::

Visits::2110
Nationality::United States
RE: Feature: The Saga of Mortal Kombat HD

*facewall*

*facewall*

*facewall*

*facewall*

*facewall*

*facewall*

*facewall*

*facewall*

*facewall*

*facewall*

I apologize for repitition there but this is absolute bull droppings!! I could see if the man was profiting off of it but he's not. Why not hire the guy NRS? He could most definitely do what everyobody wanted from the get go in terms of character design involving fixing the faces of the female models.

RazorsEdge701Posted: 03/26/2014 01:13 AMStatus ::

Visits::20795

Aww man, that scrapped HD Collection art looks awesome.

But y'know...the thing that's always sort of made me less inclined to care about an HD version of the old arcade games is that MK3 and UMK3 were poorly made in some places.

Like what I mean is...if the whole point of your project is to loyally recreate EVERY visual...that means ALSO leaving in the "Fatalities leave behind more bodyparts than you actually have" and "MK3 characters have glowing single-color Animalities, while UMK3 characters turn into fully colored animals...and Scorpion's is a penguin" crap.

Why would I want that game? I didn't like it much the first time around. Boon's recent "Director's Cut" suggestion sounds much more enticing.

Also, the MUGEN project being shut down is totally a bummer...but to be honest, I liked Bleed's work better when he was adding new moves to the 2D sprites, like the Liu Kang who fought more like Bruce Lee and the Scorpion who spun his ropedart around.

fantimPosted: 03/26/2014 01:46 AMStatus ::

Visits::39
Nationality::Japan

Well that really sucks, hopefully it's so they can release their own HD Kollection in the future.
I wonder what the legal team could do if there was an unofficial version released by a hodge podge of fans not working together on it.

seanayPosted: 03/26/2014 04:08 AMStatus ::

Visits::9273
Nationality::United Kingdom

i would have loved to have seen this, but i guess we never will!... i wish they would release some new MK news though like a picture or just something the wait is killing me

MK-DAPosted: 03/26/2014 05:01 AMStatus ::

Visits::20783
Nationality::Greece

Awesome video! Imo this is how MK should've turned out, with real life sprites and not with those silly 3d models.

saiZeroPosted: 03/26/2014 06:01 AMStatus ::

Visits::1198
Nationality::Germany

Ive been following this project closely. it was my dream come true and looked amazing

Skaven13Posted: 03/26/2014 03:45 PMStatus ::

Visits::2233

I understand IP protection to a point. What I do not understand is the company’s fear that the MKHD project would cannibalize sales of the new MK. I have seen this in a lot of companies, an irrational fear that by releasing, or even supporting, one product, even if it is only slightly related to a currently slated release, it will jeopardize the sales of their (now) primary project. This may hold true for some companies (Apple, for instance, by release a brand now I-whatever, over-supporting a prior product will cut into sales of the new one), but I am not sure it holds true for entertainment, particularly gaming.

If anything, this could have been used beautifully to fuel an appetite for the next MK, or even bring in potential extra sales for those oldschool fans who really do not have the taste for this new brand of MK, but really would like to dig into some enhanced classics. Either way, it will be the customer that suffers, and that is a shame. That is not how it is meant to be.

skavesig
hankypanky1Posted: 03/26/2014 04:22 PMStatus ::

Visits::1638

I am pleased they're not using resources to make MK HD, because those resources could be used to on MKX.

ZmokePosted: 03/26/2014 05:16 PMStatus ::

Visits::1072
Nationality::Finland

Skaven13 Wrote:
I understand IP protection to a point. What I do not understand is the company’s fear that the MKHD project would cannibalize sales of the new MK. I have seen this in a lot of companies, an irrational fear that by releasing, or even supporting, one product, even if it is only slightly related to a currently slated release, it will jeopardize the sales of their (now) primary project. This may hold true for some companies (Apple, for instance, by release a brand now I-whatever, over-supporting a prior product will cut into sales of the new one), but I am not sure it holds true for entertainment, particularly gaming.

If anything, this could have been used beautifully to fuel an appetite for the next MK, or even bring in potential extra sales for those oldschool fans who really do not have the taste for this new brand of MK, but really would like to dig into some enhanced classics. Either way, it will be the customer that suffers, and that is a shame. That is not how it is meant to be.

Why not buy and include this in the collector's edition of MKX exclusively? WB could still do that. I doubt the big enterprise is that smart though.

MurdoinkPosted: 03/26/2014 05:59 PMStatus ::

Visits::7954
Nationality::Chile

super bummed out about this! they should at least hire bleed, he's very talented

blacksaibotPosted: 03/26/2014 07:08 PMStatus ::

Visits::9044
Nationality::Bahamas

1. WB/NRS feel threatened by a successful fan project
or
2. They have one of their own in the works.

Of all the fucking fan projects out there they choose the BEST and most PROMISING one to shut down.

Any legal nuts out there? How is it copyright infringement if a) there is no profit from it and b) The project creators would obviously give WB and NRS credit for their original ideas

JohnBoyAdvancePosted: 03/26/2014 07:50 PMStatus ::

Visits::13180

Really surprising about the bluntness of the email. That Mileena head and T.Rex look sick.

Which is why what should happen with all fan projects is a trip to Library, upload to torrent site and walk away.

Dont publicize, dont show work in progress dont show anything.

Mick-LuciferPosted: 03/26/2014 08:24 PMStatus ::

Visits::19572

blacksaibot Wrote:
Any legal nuts out there? How is it copyright infringement if a) there is no profit from it and b) The project creators would obviously give WB and NRS credit for their original ideas

Profit is irrelevant. It's copyright and trademark infringement. It's self-evident. Fans don't own these characters, they aren't entitled to use them. The case begins and ends there. Copyright extends to all intellectual property contained within the games -- including programming code etc. MUGEN (subject to its own licensing issues) negates the coding copyright, but there may still be issues of trademark infringement on that level, let alone all the obvious stuff (characters, names, references).

Dissecting the reasoning beyond the simple fact of rights and trademark is ultimately pointless. Being "the best" fan game presents more reason to shut it down without looking further into it. Fans - well meaning as they are - may claim ownership of new elements introduced in their fan products, which they may then accuse WB of taking in future products (whether they did or didn't. Convergent evolution is always likely when working with existing properties). If they allow too many infringements to occur, they not only create these types of complications, but can erode the quality of future trademark infringement claims.

It doesn't have to be an issue of "fearing" competition, but product equivalency does obviously impact the sale of future games, not to mention the versions that are presently available.

Enthusiasm's great, but it's a logical, necessary part of maintaining the franchise and protecting the brand. By and large, they've always been generous to fans who appropriate their characters in a lot of different ways, and that's the way people should think of it. This is a game and that's direct competition. It's open and shut.

Better The Devil you know...
MK Online Forums: Share your interests, broaden your horizons and support the kommunity with discussion forums for every topic. No whining!
saiZeroPosted: 03/27/2014 05:17 AMStatus ::

Visits::1198
Nationality::Germany

Mick-Lucifer Wrote:
Profit is irrelevant. It's copyright and trademark infringement. It's self-evident. Fans don't own these characters, they aren't entitled to use them. The case begins and ends there.

Then i guess we are all a bunch of criminals. why not just go around and shut us all down?

what a huge turn off, seriously

Mick-LuciferPosted: 03/27/2014 09:01 AMStatus ::

saiZero Wrote:
Mick-Lucifer Wrote:
Profit is irrelevant. It's copyright and trademark infringement. It's self-evident. Fans don't own these characters, they aren't entitled to use them. The case begins and ends there.

Then i guess we are all a bunch of criminals. why not just go around and shut us all down?

The fact is they don't. That's a turn on.

MK Online Forums: Share your interests, broaden your horizons and support the kommunity with discussion forums for every topic. No whining!
StrykerKombatPosted: 03/27/2014 09:38 AMStatus ::

Visits::22

I want to see a really impressive T Rex Stryker Animality update on next gen consoles! I miss Animalities, also I'm dying waiting for new MK news, wish WB would tie us over in the meantime with new MK comic books or something..

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Skaven13Posted: 03/27/2014 10:04 AMStatus ::

Mick-Lucifer Wrote:
saiZero Wrote:
Mick-Lucifer Wrote:

Can definitely agree with that. WB is actually being far more lenient on their fans than I have seen other companies be.

skavesig
ZmokePosted: 03/27/2014 10:54 AMStatus ::

Visits::1072
Nationality::Finland

Mick-Lucifer Wrote:
Profit is irrelevant.

It all comes down to profit, never mind it's not the immediate reason.

Skaven13Posted: 03/27/2014 11:41 AMStatus ::

Zmoke Wrote:
It all comes down to profit, never mind it's not the immediate reason.

Well, yes. The goal of any corporation should be to maximize the intrinsic value of the company, maximizing shareholder profit in the process. That can include, unfortunately, cancelling some projects that, in our eyes, seem to be sure-fire winners, but according to their data analysis, would prove to be a project that produced no return. It also includes protection of IP, for the sake of reasons listed above, but it could also be for the sake of just protecting the IP from being used by those unauthorized to do so, to protect the IP from being wrongfully handled and misrepresented.

In the end, whenever there is an apparently strange decision made in the business realm, or even other realms such as the political realm, the reason for that decision can typically be found when you follow the money.

skavesig
MINIONPosted: 03/27/2014 11:51 AMStatus ::

Visits::11469

As someone who's gotten the chance to know bleed and his passions. It's sad to see this not become a reality that everyone can experience. The work put into this is amazing. The character designs and texture mapping is so on point it's crazy. This would of been one of the best Indy games of all time.

Groundbreaking Debut | You[Tube] | deviantART | Twitter
DArqueBishopPosted: 03/27/2014 02:09 PMStatus ::

Visits::11887

Mick-Lucifer Wrote:
saiZero Wrote:
Mick-Lucifer Wrote:

For fan sites and fan art, an argument could be made for fair use, though far more for the former than the latter. Fair use would not cover a project like this at all.

D'Arque Bishop - Sysadmin
drkbish@mortalkombatonline.com

Mortal Kombat Online - The Ultimate Mortal Kombat Experience
-
For a dark man shall enter the House of God...
ShoeUnitedPosted: 03/27/2014 07:55 PMStatus ::

Visits::4661

Mick-Lucifer Wrote:

I'm getting rock hard RIGHT NOW!

Puto, ergo non est deus
Non opus est, si pretium non habetis.

Mick-LuciferPosted: 03/27/2014 08:04 PMStatus ::

- Kommunity: Full Mortal Kombat HD Q&A with Bleed

Complete version of the excerpts featured in this article. [Plus: Sprites]

Page of 1

© 1998-2017 Mortal Kombat Online. All rights reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Mortal Kombat, the dragon logo and all character names are trademarks and copyright of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.