Eurovision Song Contest 2014: No More Teardrops
posted05/24/2014 04:27 PM (UTC)by
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

What do you like? Hit the Toasty thumbs up on articles and forum posts for a quick response!

Copenhagen, Denmark May 6 - May 10
Eurovision Song Contest 2013 Thread
Official 2013 winner: Emmelie de Forest - Only Teardrops
Unofficial 2013 winner: Cezar - It's My Life

IT IS TIME.
Nephrite
05/05/2014 09:04 PM (UTC)
Mick-Lucifer Wrote:
Unofficial 2013 winner: Cezar - It's My Life

Hahahahaha! glasses

Back to last year's contest- the song that stayed longer than any other on my playlist was Italy. I placed it at #7 last year at the time of contest, definitely deserved better.

As for this year, I finished previewing all the songs the other day, and the general impression is very bad.

First of all, way too many songs in English: 29 are in English only (or predominately), 4 are a mixture of English and another language and only 4 are in non-English. So boring.

"Producers will once again decide the running order for the semi-finals and final, rather than staging a random draw." -> f**k that.

As for the entries, none really impressed me, but these are the ones I was okay with:

Spoilers: (Highlight to reveal)
Netherlands, Finland, Ireland, Switzerland, Slovenia, Denmark, France, Italy and United Kingdom.

I'd put Italy as no. 1 at the moment.

Of these, only UK and Denmark seem to be doing well with the bookies.

It seems Croatian TV will only broadcast the final this year. Given my disappointment with the entries, it's possible I'll skip the semi-finals too.
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

What do you like? Hit the Toasty thumbs up on articles and forum posts for a quick response!
05/06/2014 07:36 AM (UTC)
It's crazy how unprepared I am for Eurovision this year. I guess I've been keeping pretty busy and am very tired, but usually I get the first spidey-tingle at the new year (which did happen this Jan) and start counting down around March. This year finals week is upon us and I'm almost totally unprepared!

I don't know if following Eurovision on Twitter throughout the year has contributed to diminishing the annual carnival feel of it, or if it's the legacy of a lacklustre 2013. Probably the latter. In previous years I've been compelled enough to buy the DVD. 2013 was never in consideration.

I watched a bit of the San Remo Song Contest, but not much. They show it in Italian here with no sub-titles, so it usually devolves into silliness pretty quick. Where I come from, when a man in a trenchcoat stalks a woman in a legless dancer's outfit. Well, that's not fun and games.

Nephrite Wrote:
Back to last year's contest- the song that stayed longer than any other on my playlist was Italy. I placed it at #7 last year at the time of contest, definitely deserved better.

None of the songs stayed with me into 2014. I'm ashamed to admit, when I started the thread and was trying to remember last year's winner, I couldn't think of any of the songs. Then I had a Raiden-style vision of Cezar and felt a lot better about things. He must win.

In contrast, I'm still listening to songs from... I guess 2009+. I've lost count.
Euphoria still comes to mind often. Italy's 2011 entry should have won. Satellite shows up on my iPod and I enjoy remembering it. Some of the old semi/finalists I liked I still hum. Ovo Je Balkan is stupid and fun, Sunstroke Project was on repeat here long before the "sax guy" meme, Estonia 2010, I've been obsessed with Carry Me In Your Dreams since '09 (I'd cover this song if I had my shit together). At some point, everyone needs to get up and dance to an Eastern European kind of funk. Poupee de cire, poupee de son was not from the last few years. I'll stop listing songs, I've brought enough shame upon myself.

(I'm listening to It's My Life right now, though. So good.)

Nephrite Wrote:
As for this year, I finished previewing all the songs the other day, and the general impression is very bad.

First of all, way too many songs in English: 29 are in English only (or predominately), 4 are a mixture of English and another language and only 4 are in non-English. So boring.

"Producers will once again decide the running order for the semi-finals and final, rather than staging a random draw." -> f**k that.

Ughhhhh. Doesn't sound very promising. I really don't like the way the last few years have been trending. Eurovision can be many things, but bland should never be one of them.

We've got the customary Friday/Saturday/Sunday line-up for the 2 Semis and the Final. Hoping I'll get to watch them all, but I'm not sure if I've got the hours. I'll be doing my usual spoiler avoiding, just in case. Will probably have to unfollow @Eurovision, which always makes me feel like a heel. It's just for the week, you guys. We're totally cool.

I think one of the things I'm most looking forward to seeing is the votes for Russia. For all the wrong reasons. We don't wanna put in, man.
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

05/09/2014 02:06 PM (UTC)
Much better variety of acts than last year, but it still feels like things are trending toward an all together more sensible Eurovision Song Contest. Which just isn't as fun as excess absurdity.

Iceland kicked things into an appropriate ESC gear and I really enjoyed their song. Portugal took it to a whole new level with a great song and spectacle. Azerbaijan didn't stand out, but had a solid safe entry. Hungary didn't have a lot of identity, but was a song I liked. Moldova was solid. Sweden did what they needed.

Like last year, nothing in Semi Final 1 stood out so strong to make me think it would be a winner. The quality of Hungary's entry stood out, but I'm not so sure this is the winning sound (or subject). Portugal stood out, but almost certainly didn't have a winning sound. San Marino might get it for the horrible winner I don't understand.

Armenia - Sappy. Safe. Aram.mp3 download aborted.
Latvia - Might want to just try using a cake mix. Catchy. Would be better if I didn't understand English.
Estonia - Sure fire strategy to be an amazing Eurovision winner: Lie!
Sweden - Started like a remix of last year's winner. Came good. Undo my shell.
Iceland - You're a little late but I'm glad you arrived, Eurovision. Freaks welcome.
Albania - Started interesting, but lost me. Points for the platform.
Russia - Looks like Russia managed at least one full Taylor Swift clone. Seems like these lyrics were taken from Putin's feelings journal.
Azerbaijan - An Azerbaijan entry about fire. Who woulda thought it? Another song many times better than their winning entry.
Ukraine - I liked the giant mouse wheel. Shame it wasn't a sexed up Centurion in it. I wonder if she is only a reservist anti-crisis girl.
Belgium - Nice sound. Weeping fatmen shouldn't sing about their mother. Kept hoping the lady was going to rip his suit off to reveal two more dancers inside it.
Moldova - Sincere effort.
San Marino - May-be just get to the song. May-be won't qualify.
Portugal - YES! Exposed flesh! Giant drums! Leather pants! An interesting sound. Great, energetic number.
The Netherlands - Nothing like an old fashioned Dutch Country ballad. Wait. What?
Montenegro - It seems Montenegro is this year's accidental Irish entry.
Hungary - Nice song, but... Hungary?! Fair enough.

Post-Results Comment:
Glad to see Iceland get through. Really think Portugal were massively cheated. I'd lose The Netherlands' US country ballad. San Marino didn't win me over.
Nephrite
05/10/2014 12:59 PM (UTC)
Nostalgia songs...

Mick-Lucifer Wrote:
Euphoria still comes to mind often.

Loved it, was my favorite that year by far, glad it won!

Mick-Lucifer Wrote:
Italy's 2011 entry should have won.

I remember that entry. It was the year Italy came back to ESC after not being part of it for many years. I agree it's a quality song (it was my friend's favorite that year too), but I liked rock/pop entry from Bulgaria that year the best. They failed to qualify for the final though. Tsk, tsk, tsk.
As for Italy, I liked their 2012 & 2013 entries more (finished #2 and #7 on my list, respectively).

Mick-Lucifer Wrote:
Satellite shows up on my iPod and I enjoy remembering it.

Catchy song! Can't say it's one of my all time faves, but I like it and I'm glad it won. Can't remember any other songs from that year (2010).

Mick-Lucifer Wrote:
Some of the old semi/finalists I liked I still hum. Ovo Je Balkan is stupid and fun

Now this one is terrible lol. As for Serbia their 2007 winning entry was extremely strong and deservedly won, however their 2004 entry (back then Serbia & Montenegro, but the singer is from Serbia) is my fave from them and definitely one of my all-time favorites in ESC, a masterpiece! Can't believe it lost to Ukraine's Ruslana "Wild Dances".

Mick-Lucifer Wrote:
Sunstroke Project was on repeat here long before the "sax guy" meme

I don't remember this entry, the sax parts are great, the rest forgettable. :p

Mick-Lucifer Wrote:
Estonia 2010

Don't remember it, but not bad, not bad. As for Estonia, my fave from the country would be their entry from 2009. Should have won. So much better than Norway's "Fairytale".

Mick-Lucifer Wrote:
I've been obsessed with Carry Me In Your Dreams since '09 (I'd cover this song if I had my shit together).

LOL this too is from 2009. Not my cup of tea. :p Bosnia & Herz. was my #2 in 2009.
I liked Albania's rock entry last year though, and their 2012 entry was memorable.

Mick-Lucifer Wrote:
At some point, everyone needs to get up and dance to an Eastern European kind of funk.

LOL. I don't remember this either. Although fun, it's not what I would vote for to win.

Mick-Lucifer Wrote:
Poupee de cire, poupee de son was not from the last few years.

Ooooo... I love me some ESC oldies!

Italy 1958 - Arguably the most famous song to ever come out of ESC. What A CLASSIC! (Finished 3rd)

Yugoslavia1968 - one of my fave Croatian entries ever. Love it, love, love it! So authentic. <3 (Finished 7th)

Luxembourg 1972 - winner!

Luxembourg 1973 - another winner! Even better than '72 imo.

Yugoslavia1983 - If all ex-Yu countries would vote which one was the best Yugoslavian entry in ESC, I'm pretty sure this one would win. Everyone knows this song in these areas and it actually had some international success as well (Brazil, Germany,... ) The guy is from Montenegro. (Finished 4th)

Italy 1987 - My favorite ESC song ever in terms of lyrics and possibly my favorite overall. (Finished 3rd)

Norway 1995 - Winner! Either this one or Italy '87 would be my all-time #1. What a masterpiece!

It's only appropriate to end the nostalgia run with Nostalgia - Croatia 1995. Like the song, love the vocal finish. Finished 6th.

... ... ...

Anyway, I missed both semi-finals, but will watch the final tonight.

Go Italy!
Jaded-Raven
05/10/2014 03:08 PM (UTC)
I should be excited for this. Eurovision is seen as a high point of gay culture, at least in Denmark... and the event is in Denmark this year! But I simply couldn't care less...

Good luck to the contestants though.
Nephrite
05/10/2014 10:09 PM (UTC)
Voting is currently going on.

The Netherlands was BY FAR my favorite! Currently in the 2nd place behind Austria.10 pts difference, 17 countries to vote. Go Netherlands!
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

05/11/2014 06:27 AM (UTC)
Bleh. Watched Semi Final 2 away from the Motherboxxx.
Right now I'm feeling much like I did the last couple of years, without the saving grace of Cezar, or the obvious domination of Euphoria. It's all getting a little too middle road. I don't expect the Big 5 to save the day. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Based on the previews, I think the 2014 winner is probably in one of these Semi Finals. Nobody stands out and demands victory, though. I'd like to see Iceland finish in the top quarter. Hungary could probably be a top 3 quality wise, but I don't see it winning. Armenia and Sweden might get up there. Malta wouldn't upset me. Norway would be nice enough. I'm surprised to say it, but I think Austria is probably a legit contender.

Generally, though, nothing bowled me over in the Semis. Wish I was gonna be watching Portugal in the final. Liked that sound. Colourful, joyous stage show. I think that's the song I'll remember from this year.

Malta - Warm, energetic number.
Israel - Skinning me up? Nice big voice. Sure to win Hannibal Lecter's vote.
Norway - I was sceptical, but bouncer with a heart of gold won me over.
Georgia - I like that it was something different. Not a lot of competition for jumbled and cacophonous sounds, this year. Felt bad for the guy who deployed his parachute, but couldn't escape.
Poland - It was cheap, cynical, scandalous and I loved every minute of it. Song wasn't brilliant, but had its moments. Girl band with Polish twist.
Austria - The bearded lady (ladied beard?) rises above the gimmick with a decent performance.
Lithuania - The Borg entry for 2014. A little too loud and all at once, for my liking. Sadly, resistance was futile.
Finland - It's a song contest, so being blinded by the light show wasn't a problem. A bit soft, for my liking. Nice if you like that sort of thing.
Ireland - A sobering contrast to the still memorable hyperactivity of Jedward. Pretty legit. Not sure men in skirts can compete with a man-lady's beard, though. Nice to hear an Irish sound in an Irish entry, for a change.
Belarus - I'm pretty sure I've heard this song before in a British pop song, or something. I'm also sure I didn't like it the first time. Nice try. At least these guys had a clue about their cake. Small blessings.
FYR Macedonia - Nice look. Nice song. Not enough to instantly grab me, but nice.
Switzerland - I would've gone with more whistling, frankly. It was more memorable than the rest. Quite liked the whistling.
Greece - Whoa, whoa, whoa. What the hell is going on? What's with the black jackets? When Greece take the stage at ESC, I want to see white, white, white. I know money's tough. I can live without a giant fluorescent prop, but come on. No opa for you. (Wasn't a bad song, btw. Duking it out with Hungary, I think.).
Slovenia - Maleficent lite. Wasn't a bad song. I was impressed when she conjured a portal on the stage.
Romania - KEYBOARD CIRCLE! YES! A worthy return! These two can keep coming back as long as they find new piano gimmicks each year! Decent anthem.
Australia - Whoof. Not part of Eurovision Song Contest and that was for the best. Nice nod, though
Nephrite
05/11/2014 11:57 AM (UTC)
My final standings:

1. The Netherlands
2.The Rest

As for the final outcome:

:roll eyes:
TonyTheTiger
About Me

TonyTheTiger - Forum Director

Mortal Kombat Online - The Ultimate Mortal Kombat Experience
-
Nintendo is comprised of three Japanese words. Nin, Ten, Dou, and when combined it means we kicked the holy shit outta Atari.

05/11/2014 03:46 PM (UTC)
I was dying. The whole time I kept thinking of this. An entire continent just got trolled.
mkdfan
About Me
05/11/2014 06:51 PM (UTC)
Could have shaved the beard but whatever, she deserved to win for what was, without a doubt, the best song.
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

05/11/2014 10:38 PM (UTC)

Weirdy beardy!

This may have been the best possible result for establishing a precedent moving forward. Solid, genuine song attempt. Ridiculous visual gimmick. I hope this reignites an arms race in 2015 for ridiculous stage elements, but also some nice music to go with them.

Of course, there's such a thing as too much ridiculous. Frankly, I don't think France was even trying. I'm not sure they've been trying for the last few years. I liked Germany's entry much more than I expected. Not a lot to say about the other Big 5 entries.

Portugal my 2014 winner, tbqh.
Nephrite
05/12/2014 08:12 PM (UTC)
Mick-Lucifer Wrote:
Ridiculous visual gimmick. I hope this reignites an arms race in 2015 for ridiculous stage elements, but also some nice music to go with them.

Ugh. Less circus please. tongue

Mick-Lucifer Wrote:
Frankly, I don't think France was even trying. I'm not sure they've been trying for the last few years.

I loved France last year and in 2011 (finished as my runner-up both times).

Just for the sake of keeping up with the tradition, a "forced" Top 10 for this year:

01. The Netherlands [Welcome to my playlist.]
02. Slovenia
03. Switzerland
04. Italy
05. Denmark
06. Sweden
07. Iceland
08. Armenia
09. Finland
10. France

Honorable mentions: Hungary, Norway & United Kingdom.

Overall, a very disappointing year...
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

05/12/2014 09:33 PM (UTC)
Nephrite Wrote:
Mick-Lucifer Wrote:
Ridiculous visual gimmick. I hope this reignites an arms race in 2015 for ridiculous stage elements, but also some nice music to go with them.

Ugh. Less circus please. tongue

More! More! Fireworks, creepy faceless dancers, magic keyboards, thrusting saxophonists, giant fluorescent staplers, streams of water, levitating singers, giant dressers, concealed dancers, big hats, costume changes! ALL OF IT!! BEARDS ON BEARDS!

Last couple of years have been really tough to do a Top 10. I'll try this time:

1, Portugal
2. Malta
3. Hungary
4. Germany
5. Iceland
6. Norway
7. Azerbaijan
8. Sweden
9. Romania
10. Poland
11. Romania 2013

I will probably crumble and abandon my picks under any level of scrutiny.
I can at least say I remember these songs, so that helps.
Nephrite
05/24/2014 01:49 PM (UTC)
The Netherlands vs Austria on the charts:

German singles charts:
NED debuts at #3 --- AUT at #5

UK singles charts:
NED rises from #95 to #9 --- AUT debuts at #17

United world charts:
NED debuts at #28 --- AUT not in Top 50

tongue
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

05/24/2014 04:27 PM (UTC)
Portugal, man. Portugal.

Meanwhile, I've been seeing pieces of the Sanremo Music Festival every weekend for the past month or more. Saw Raphael Gualazzi and "The Bleeding Beetroots" today. I never see the same thing twice, so I'm having a lot of trouble discerning exactly how long the event went.

Using empirical logic, I've deduced the Sanremo contest is a 128 musician tournament taking place continuously over several months. Differentiating itself from Eurovision further, rules require acts survive on limited supplies throughout the enduro event. This also explains why Rasputin was playing guitar during one of the acts, as ordinary men often die four times over before the contest is through. Plus, he shreds a mean bass, and I think the Italians really respond to his reputation as Russia's favourite love machine.
Pages: 1
Download on the App StoreGet it on Google Play
© 1998-2024 Shadow Knight Media, LLC. All rights reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Mortal Kombat, the dragon logo and all character names are trademarks and copyright of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.