Site Network Movies Fan Submission Community Media Games News
There are 1 users online.
Username: Password: Save:
MK Online    Kommunity    Show Message
Join MK Online Free or become a Flawless Member for special benefits.
Top MKX Discussions
- Supreme Mortal Kombat Champion Tournament 2017!
- Injustice 2 Fighter Pack 1 Trailer Reveals Sub-Zero & More
- MKX Mobile - Baraka Challenge
- Speculation: Future of Non-Playable Characters In Doubt?
- Mortal Kombat X Mobile Announces Anniversary Update
- Kountdown: Top 10 Supremely Missed in Mortal Kombat X
- Mortal Kombat XL Announce Trailer
- MKX DLC: Unpacking Kombat Pack 2 Characters
- Mortal Kombat X Kombat Pack 2 Trailer - 4 DLC Fighters
- WSJ Reports Mortal Kombat X Sales Exceed Five Million
- Guide: Komplete Mortal Kombat X Brutality List

Register to join the discussion. Share stories via @MK_Online & Facebook.

MK Online User Poll

Best Mobile Challenger?
Baraka (23.5%)
Jade (41.1%)
Lin Kuei Cybers (26.4%)
Freddy Krueger (8.8%)

Forum Listings

MK Online Site Updates
  • January 5th, 2018
    Enchantress Takes Control in Injustice 2 Trailer [Read On]
  • January 4th, 2018
    Great Big Story Spotlight Voice of Shao Kahn: Steve Ritchie [Read On]
  • December 22nd, 2017
    When The Disaster Artist Met Mortal Kombat [Read On]
  • December 20th, 2017
    MKX Mobile 2017 Holiday Bonuses & Updates [Read On]
  • December 15th, 2017
    Injustice 2 Limited Console Free Trial [Read On]

Site Themes
You must be logged in to
select themes.

MKO on Twitter

Mortal Kombat X

Discussing Mortal Kombat X and all things Kontemporary to it.
Page of 4

Mick-LuciferPosted: 06/14/2014 09:57 AMStatus ::
E3 2014: New Details in TRMK Interview with Ed Boon

This year's E3 was dominated by developments in the newly revealed Mortal Kombat X! Though the Expo may be over, the highlights continue! Back safe from the trip to LA, long running Mortal Kombat fan-site TRMK has posted an interview conducted with NetherRealm Studios Creative Director Ed Boon -- and it contains some compelling new details!

Watch full demo matches in the Gamespot Stage Demo recap.

With only six of a projected twenty-plus characters revealed at E3 - much fan speculation centres around the prospects of returning characters. Telling a story that will take the game up to 25 years into the post Mortal Kombat future -- new characters are plentiful! All of that MK4 centric speculation won't be for naught, however! Ed told TRMK, "You will definitely see a Mortal Kombat 4 character,"

Better still - the returning playable characters won't end at MK4! "You will also see some of the later game' fighters." adds the series co-creator; who led development on three core instalments in the generation after MK4: Deadly Alliance (2002), Deception (2004) & Armageddon (2006). The series also crossed over with DC Comics on PS3 & 360 in 2008, before being rebooted in Mortal Kombat (2011).

Motaro: No Country For Old CentaursThere will also be cameos in the new story mode, "Some really fun ones." Don't expect the notoriously relegated centaur Motaro to make a triumphant comeback any time soon, though. Ed nixed the horse-bodied sub-bosses prospects whilst describing the barriers that keep bosses unplayable. Where MKX is concerned, he says, "I guess [I] can only speak for myself but I definitely want the bosses to be playable in some way." Shao Kahn was notably unplayable in MK2011, but Ed looks at "unlock" options as one of the ways bosses could be put in the hands of players.

Cryomancers in the Sea: The Lin Kuei has "a sea" of options for their mascot fighter.

As he noted during the Gamespot Stage Demo; the identity of the featured Sub-Zero will be addressed in the game's story mode. The history of the kori master's generational mantle is noted indirectly during the interview, "The thing about Sub-Zero is that there have been many Sub-Zeroes over the years. So the Sub-Zero that you see can be anybody because the Lin Kuei has a sea of Sub-Zeroes."

Updated gameplay has been a major focus of the Mortal Kombat X reveal. Over the course of E3, we learned many suspicions about the announce trailer were true! What we didn't know - at that time - is that MKX will be available for both the new generation hardware and its predecessors. Fans concerned about the weighted drag of previous tech needn't worry, though. Boon tells TRMK, "NetherRealm is only doing the PS4 and Xbox One Versions. We may be doing the PC version as well, but the consoles are the priority."

NetherRealm will be involved in "the solution" for porting the game to PlayStation 3 & Xbox 360 - but that next gen priority means implementation will be outsourced. Sony's cross-gen online play (PS3 v PS4) is unlikely, but up for consideration. Likewise, a Vita version of the game is not currently in production, but still well within the window of decision making that game us the robust portable version of Mortal Kombat: Komplete Edition.

The Hot Tag: Tag modes may be out, but Ferra & Torr are a tag team fighting as one.

Mortal Kombat (2011) enjoyed three exciting years in the Evo World Championship line-up - a reflection of the series' long awaited arrival as a fighting game with high calibre, balanced mechanics. Although the hardcore tournament crowd represent a percentage minority, Boon notes they will still be striving to satisfy those high-end concerns. "There are another six million who don't see that effort. But it's important to us."

This attention will see the studio continue to support the game long after release, taking advantage of the download Hotfix system they introduced in Mortal Kombat (2011) and refined with Injustice: Gods Among Us [NetherRealm's hugely successful DC superhero fighter - in case you missed it!]. The most recent Injustice hotfix was just last month!

Dedication to solving niggling interruptions and strong tournament calibre gameplay won't strip the series of its identity, though. We learned through different outlets during E3 that the series will continue to utilize a dedicated block button -- reserving the back to block standard of other series for Injustice . The well implemented but ultimately unpopular Tag Team Mode may not be so lucky, though. "It's not completely off the table, but it wasn't one of the most used things."

Who's Next?: Get a closer look at the Scorpion banner art hung at E3.

Mortal Kombat X will be released at an as yet undetermined date in 2015! Visit TRMK to read the full interview with more detailed Q&A.

Find more developer chats in our extensive Interview Archive. Register to find and comment on all the videos, images & recaps from E3 on the Mortal Kombat X forum!

diirecthitPosted: 06/14/2014 12:58 AMStatus ::

Visits::4646
Nationality::Mexico
Definitely a MK4 character, and some o the later games

"You will definitely see a Mortal Kombat 4 character, I believe that's the first time I've said that. You will also see some of the later game's fighters. You'll also see cameo's in the story mode. Some really fun ones." -Ed Boon

Dragon Points:
DivahMahPosted: 06/14/2014 01:02 AMStatus ::

Visits::2283
Nationality::Brazil
RE: Definitely a MK4 character, and some o the later games

Tanya...Tanya...Tanya!!!

T-rexPosted: 06/14/2014 01:07 AMStatus ::

Visits::6346
Nationality::Belarus

Sauce on this?

I'm not seeing it on his twitter.

diirecthitPosted: 06/14/2014 01:09 AMStatus ::

T-rex Wrote:
Sauce on this?

I'm not seeing it on his twitter.

TRMK

diirecthitPosted: 06/14/2014 01:10 AMStatus ::

Also INB4 Quan Chi, since he was asked about characters that weren't in MK9

gosoxtimPosted: 06/14/2014 01:14 AMStatus ::

Visits::1768

It going to be shinnok probably

MK176Posted: 06/14/2014 01:31 AMStatus ::

Visits::16070
Nationality::United States

Reading through that TRMK interview with Ed Boon. He makes an example about different variations of characters and says something about seeing how Scorpion A vs. Sub-Zero B vs. Raiden C would work but he puts in parentheses "if Raiden is in the game." Lol, c'mon now Boon, we know Raiden has a good chance of being in this game haha! EDIT: He also says something about having Johnny Cage have his Shadow Kick...if he were to be in the game. I think he's definitely hinting lol.

diirecthitPosted: 06/14/2014 01:35 AMStatus ::

MK176 Wrote:
Reading through that TRMK interview with Ed Boon. He makes an example about different variations of characters and says something about seeing how Scorpion A vs. Sub-Zero B vs. Raiden C would work but he puts in parentheses "if Raiden is in the game." Lol, c'mon now Boon, we know Raiden has a good chance of being in this game haha!

I woulnd't say "he has a good chance at being in", i'd say he's 100% in i mean come on, he's the chun-li to scorpion and sub-zero's ryu/ken

MK176Posted: 06/14/2014 01:37 AMStatus ::

Visits::16070

diirecthit Wrote:
MK176 Wrote:
Reading through that TRMK interview with Ed Boon. He makes an example about different variations of characters and says something about seeing how Scorpion A vs. Sub-Zero B vs. Raiden C would work but he puts in parentheses "if Raiden is in the game." Lol, c'mon now Boon, we know Raiden has a good chance of being in this game haha!

I woulnd't say "he has a good chance at being in", i'd say he's 100% in i mean come on, he's the chun-li to scorpion and sub-zero's ryu/ken

I don't like to be too sure but deep down, I agree. Interesting interview. Since Shinnok was technically "seen" in MK9 and Quan Chi was playable, I hope when Ed Boon says we'll see an MK4 character, it'll be someone like Fujin, Tanya, and/or Reiko.

razz2d2Posted: 06/14/2014 02:03 AMStatus ::

Visits::2064

Why 'a' instead of 'several' -_-

Give the MK4 guys some justice! As far as later games, probably Kenshi, Sareena, Havik, and maybe Shujinko since he'd be alive the whole time but hopefully they untether him from the Kamidogu story

Spider804Posted: 06/14/2014 02:10 AMStatus ::

Visits::6938

Probably said "a" instead of several to keep a tight lip

_MKX_Posted: 06/14/2014 02:29 AMStatus ::

Visits::630

I'm VERY happy with the response. I really am excited to see the select MK4/PS2 era characters get an update!

d'vorah
SmashKPosted: 06/14/2014 02:41 AMStatus ::

Visits::646

Here is the interview.

http://www.trmk.org/features/interview_mortal_kombat_x_ed_boon_e3_2014/

Some good and new information in there, straight from the mouth of Boon.

projectzero00Posted: 06/14/2014 02:47 AMStatus ::

Visits::2720
Nationality::Greece

Oh man! If that is true I am praying for Fujin & Tanya. If those 2 are in, I can then happily whine about how Kai, Ashrah, Nitara, etc, aren't in the game

ChromePosted: 06/14/2014 05:03 AMStatus ::

Visits::15999
Nationality::Hungary

Actually to me this sounds like that the appearing characters number is greater than the playable roster, which is good.

Well, if it must be MK4, I vote for Fujin, Kai and Shinnok, since we cannot get around the bastard. OK, Tanya, can come too.

I definitely want Reiko, Jarek sidelined. Thoswe two add nothing to MK at all, unless. we want to see the bodycount go up.

Sig1 photo Chrome-sig_zps5a62b1b1.jpg
ProgressivePosted: 06/14/2014 05:28 AMStatus ::

Visits::2

Shinnok and Fujin are first two that come to mind.

BrunoamamariaPosted: 06/14/2014 06:18 AMStatus ::

Visits::1256

TANYA... I need her.

squirt007ncPosted: 06/14/2014 06:32 AMStatus ::

Visits::369

Guess this just confirmed be buying on day 1 almost. now that its almost certain almost guys like fujin, kenshi, and Havik will be in. but ed could be trolling. he could just be talking about Quan CHi :(

Napalm1980Posted: 06/14/2014 06:42 AMStatus ::

Visits::1544
Nationality::Germany

I hope for Fujin or Shinnok. And i really don't need Tanya. It's just a boring palette-swap char.

MINIONPosted: 06/14/2014 06:44 AMStatus ::

Visits::11469

I'm calling it now, Belokk!

Groundbreaking Debut | You[Tube] | deviantART | Twitter
Thracian_TsarPosted: 06/14/2014 06:51 AMStatus ::

Visits::2695
Nationality::South Tyrol

Ed Boon: We may be doing the PC version as well...
---
Yes! Now, that's a surprise.

cyrax_has_returnedPosted: 06/14/2014 06:56 AMStatus ::

Visits::226
Nationality::Japan

Ed you better give me my goddamn Reiko and make him fucking badass because Reiko fans deserve it, hes only been in MK 4 & Brokemageddon.

NephritePosted: 06/14/2014 07:53 AMStatus ::

Visits::3778
Nationality::Croatia

Hopefully they make more than one MK4 character playable.

Hoping for Fujin, Reiko and Shinnok.

Jaded-RavenPosted: 06/14/2014 08:08 AMStatus ::

Visits::12259
Nationality::Denmark

I hope for Tanya and Reiko. ^^

Page of 4

© 1998-2017 Mortal Kombat Online. All rights reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Mortal Kombat, the dragon logo and all character names are trademarks and copyright of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.