Site Network Movies Fan Submission Community Media Games News
There are 0 users online.
Username: Password: Save:
MK Online    Kommunity    Show Message
Join MK Online Free or become a Flawless Member for special benefits.
Top MKX Discussions
- Supreme Mortal Kombat Champion Tournament 2017!
- Injustice 2 Fighter Pack 1 Trailer Reveals Sub-Zero & More
- MKX Mobile - Baraka Challenge
- Speculation: Future of Non-Playable Characters In Doubt?
- Mortal Kombat X Mobile Announces Anniversary Update
- Kountdown: Top 10 Supremely Missed in Mortal Kombat X
- Mortal Kombat XL Announce Trailer
- MKX DLC: Unpacking Kombat Pack 2 Characters
- Mortal Kombat X Kombat Pack 2 Trailer - 4 DLC Fighters
- WSJ Reports Mortal Kombat X Sales Exceed Five Million
- Guide: Komplete Mortal Kombat X Brutality List

Register to join the discussion. Share stories via @MK_Online & Facebook.

MK Online User Poll

Best Mobile Challenger?
Baraka (21.3%)
Jade (42.6%)
Lin Kuei Cybers (26.2%)
Freddy Krueger (9.8%)

Forum Listings

MK Online Site Updates
  • December 15th, 2017
    Injustice 2 Limited Console Free Trial [Read On]
  • December 7th, 2017
    Atom Battles Black Manta in Gameplay Trailer [Read On]
  • November 28th, 2017
    Captain Marvel Almost Returned in Injustice Fighter Pack 0 [Read On]
  • November 23rd, 2017
    Mortal Kombat X Mobile - Punk Cassie Challenge [Read On]
  • November 18th, 2017
    Mortal Kombat Funko Store Signing - Sunday [Read On]

Site Themes
You must be logged in to
select themes.

MKO on Twitter

Mortal Kombat X

Discussing Mortal Kombat X and all things Kontemporary to it.
Page of 2

Mick-LuciferPosted: 04/13/2016 02:26 AMStatus ::
Ed Boon Discusses Mortal Kombat X With Gamereactor

European gaming site Gamereactor has a new feature interview with Ed Boon discussing some of the basic beats of Mortal Kombat X.

Not a lot of new information to speak of, but the NetherRealm Studios Creative Director and Mortal Kombat co-creator touches on the influence of fandom and how the team manages content. Registered users can give their thoughts on the Mortal Kombat X forum.

GR: People really love Mortal Kombat and you probably get tons of requests on what should be included in the games. How do you cope with fan demands?
EB: We love the fact that fans are so passionate about Mortal Kombat. They always have their list of demands they want to see in the game. Unfortunately, it's simply not possible to satisfy every single wish from players. Often times those wishes contradict each other and it falls on us to determine what is best for each iteration of Mortal Kombat. While we certainly do listen to what the fans would like to see in the next game, we also want to surprise them with each game and give them something they were not expecting.

GR: Is there any example in Mortal Kombat X on how fans had influence over what is or isn't in the game?
EB: The fans are very influential in determining which characters we include for the DLC fighters that come after the game is released. Mortal Kombat fans are also very vocal about which characters they would like to see in the game who they missed in the original roster. So our ears are definitely open and listening to what they have to say. But again, we also feel it's important to surprise them with something they didn't see coming.

GR: A common thing in fighting games is to add more meters, more stances, more super features and more gimmicks for every new game. Mortal Kombat has always been loved by both casual and hardcore players alike. How do you make sure you keep this audience intact when making the game deeper and more complicated?
EB: That is a very delicate balance (between core and casual) that we are constantly discussing, debating, and evolving over the years. Fighting game players today are much more sophisticated than they were 20 years ago and we've tried to keep an eye on where the casual player is and where the pros are as well. That sweet spot is different for pretty much every game that we release, so we are always re-evaluating everything.

GR: NetherRealm is leading the fighting genre when it comes to single-player content. Why do you focus so much on this in a genre generally made for versus gaming?
EB: The fact of the matter is that most people spend the majority of their time playing video games by themselves. Mortal Kombat by nature is a one-on-one fighting game that is most fun playing against real people. But we feel it's important to provide fun experiences for the single player as well. We feel Mortal Kombat provides the best single player experience of any fighting game and we are very proud of that.

Make sure you visit Gamereactor for the full interview!

Can't get enough Ed Boon in your life? Hit up the Mortal Kombat Online Interview Archive for more sage wisdoms from throughout the MK ages! You'll also find in depth conversations with John Tobias and a who's who of MK makers!

KenshiMaster16Posted: 04/13/2016 02:43 AMStatus ::

Visits::10125
Nationality::United States
RE: Ed Boon Discusses Mortal Kombat X With Gamereactor

Definitely had to LOL at Boon's response about the whole DLC thing. Wow, what a crock of shit.

MacyG88Posted: 04/13/2016 03:49 AMStatus ::

Visits::2465
Nationality::Australia

I'm kinda 50/50 on his DLC comment. While inclusions like Leatherface and Alien contradict this, I also agree about giving fans surprise characters that they may end up becoming fans of.

JasonVPredPosted: 04/13/2016 05:14 AMStatus ::

Visits::904

Crock? Hardly, even as a Xenomorph fan I still count the Alien as the worst dlc ever introduced to Mortal Kombat; I wanted a Xenomorph, not an alien/Baraka hybrid.

Predator, Jason, Tremor, Tanya & Leatherface are brilliant. Goro is interesting enough. The Triborg situation is a mixed bag but I am sure we can agree it was fan service just like Bo' Rai Cho.

Sure, I get that people are not as patient as me and they really want characters like Fujin but it is reasonable for Raiden's replacement to wait until the next game to be a part of the roster. Order & chaos are future content, so no Havik or Hotaru in MKX.

All in all, the great outweigh the blemishes.

... here's your Subzero, now plain zero.
PickleMendipPosted: 04/13/2016 10:42 AMStatus ::

Visits::29
Nationality::United Kingdom

Well, why not just include the characters the fans want in the base roster?

Yeah, OK we're happy with Liu Kang, Kitana, Raiden Quan Chi all again but Fujin & Baraka & Sindel could have been there too.

Long story short, you can't argue with the eyebrows.

STATE FED LIES CHARM EMPTY EYES. Anon.
SonictheSpectrePosted: 04/13/2016 12:25 PMStatus ::

Visits::317

How can he even say "They listen to the fans" Did anyone ask for Leatherface? Did they listen to the hardcore fans, the ones who have stuck with the franchise for God knows how long? lol.

Smell the gunpowder.
The_TooCool_MasterPosted: 04/13/2016 04:28 PMStatus ::

Visits::2359
Nationality::Canada

SonictheSpectre Wrote:
How can he even say "They listen to the fans" Did anyone ask for Leatherface? Did they listen to the hardcore fans, the ones who have stuck with the franchise for God knows how long? lol.

So, did you guys keep reading or did you stop there?

Because you're all focusing on that but he followed up with "we also want to surprise them with each game and give them something they were not expecting".

AsesinoPosted: 04/13/2016 08:41 PMStatus ::

Visits::14140
Nationality::Bulgaria

Where the fuck is Noob Saibot if you listen to the fans booN ?

KungLaodoesntsuckPosted: 04/13/2016 09:40 PMStatus ::

Visits::19710

The_TooCool_Master Wrote:
SonictheSpectre Wrote:

So, did you guys keep reading or did you stop there?

Because you're all focusing on that but he followed up with "we also want to surprise them with each game and give them something they were not expecting".

They seriously need to just do polls. I don't want surprises when it comes to DLC.

photo 08EDBB95-0972-4D12-94BB-8107B5418EAA_zpsyuwphky8.jpg
KenshiMaster16Posted: 04/14/2016 02:58 AMStatus ::

A surprise is fine. I consider these 'new' characters (Skarlet, Tremor, Triborg) to be surprise characters. Just cut out the extra guest spot and let fans decide 2 slots for KP's via voting. It's really not that difficult and it works better than just a bunch of random folks screaming and spamming on Twitter.

That way there can be a 'new' surprise character, a guest and two MK characters fans vote for. Seems fair to me. 50/50 split right down the center between what fans want and what the developer/company wants.

wilson16Posted: 04/14/2016 04:14 AMStatus ::

Visits::190
Nationality::England

No one asked for the guest characters true. However, they were clearly forced upon them by the guys who are funding the game (WB). Bearing in mind they're making a chainsaw massacre film, they're going to want to promote him. Don't think of the guests as guys who took up spots for characters you wanted, just think of them as WB's bargaining to allow the game to exist at all.

lastfighter89Posted: 04/14/2016 04:44 AMStatus ::

Visits::5316
Nationality::Italy

Lies. Lies. Lies.

Ed Boon lies poorly.
The whole "surprise" idea is just his plan b to cope with the bad reception those characters got.
Leatherface and Alien make no fucking sense in MK.
Jason and Leatherface were more than enough.
4 guests are too much.
NRS didn't even put a way to choose you opponents in the towers, so I am FORCED to fight against guests. I can't even pretend they're not part of my game. In order to save few bucks I bought the whole package, but I feel like the guests were shoved down my throath.

For the next game, no/less guests and give me the chance to avoid the characters I don't wanna play with or against.

In MK vs Dc they gave us the option to fight a MK only, Dc Only and mixed towers. I dok 't get why we cannot do so in MK X.

frabnPosted: 04/14/2016 10:45 AMStatus ::

Visits::539

KenshiMaster16 Wrote:
A surprise is fine. I consider these 'new' characters (Skarlet, Tremor, Triborg) to be surprise characters. Just cut out the extra guest spot and let fans decide 2 slots for KP's via voting. It's really not that difficult and it works better than just a bunch of random folks screaming and spamming on Twitter.

That way there can be a 'new' surprise character, a guest and two MK characters fans vote for. Seems fair to me. 50/50 split right down the center between what fans want and what the developer/company wants.

So many companies out there directly interact with fans in this regard...a vote for 2 DLC spots by the fanbase could be an interesting idea and a true example of "we listen to the fans" though I shudder to think what the MK fanbase would choose...we would end up with yet more Leatherfaces and Jasons, I believe. For all the bitching done about Ed, NRS and the Dev team decisions, I've never seen as unthinkably horrible ideas as I have from the MK fanbase itself. If they were pre-determined possibilities by NRS, that would be much more preferable.

Frankly, the new characters they introduced have been great. For all my disgust regarding the fanbase's slavering fandom over Tremor, NRS did an amazing job bringing that bullshit throwaway character into the actual game series. Skarlet was a complete surprise that I really enjoyed, and I've been loving Tri-borg. Each one of THOSE characters was based on long-standing fan rumor (Skarlet), rabid fan obsession (Tremor) or fan begging (Tri-borg). They DO listen to the fans.

We can only take guests at face value - NRS is likely given a choice of which characters to use when told by WB that they have to put in guests. They pick them carefully - Ed seems to pick his personal favorites (the horror characters). Predator actually made me very happy since i'm a huge fan, and of all the guests they've given us, Predator would theoretically fit the most. Alien...I love the Alien, but Kotal Kahn squeezing Xenomorph blood onto his face, or Mileena eating Alien without consequence...no. You don't eliminate one of the core aspects of the character and shove him into the game. Not a fan of the design either. Total failure (even if fun to play).

When they released Freddy as the final DLC for MK9, I was absolutely furious. I never downloaded him, and didn't play the game for about 4 months after that. I knew more of the same was coming with MKX, and when I bought the special edition I pretty much sucked it up, knowing Jason would be polluting my roster. Leatherface was even worse. I just hope that the next guests inevitably shoved down our throats will be more fitting. I absolutely hate encountering Jason and Leatherface on the ladder.

Well, you all got your Tremor now. Can we finally move on?
KenshiMaster16Posted: 04/14/2016 01:56 PMStatus ::

frabn Wrote:
KenshiMaster16 Wrote:

So many companies out there directly interact with fans in this regard...a vote for 2 DLC spots by the fanbase could be an interesting idea and a true example of "we listen to the fans" though I shudder to think what the MK fanbase would choose...we would end up with yet more Leatherfaces and Jasons, I believe. For all the bitching done about Ed, NRS and the Dev team decisions, I've never seen as unthinkably horrible ideas as I have from the MK fanbase itself. If they were pre-determined possibilities by NRS, that would be much more preferable.

Frankly, the new characters they introduced have been great. For all my disgust regarding the fanbase's slavering fandom over Tremor, NRS did an amazing job bringing that bullshit throwaway character into the actual game series. Skarlet was a complete surprise that I really enjoyed, and I've been loving Tri-borg. Each one of THOSE characters was based on long-standing fan rumor (Skarlet), rabid fan obsession (Tremor) or fan begging (Tri-borg). They DO listen to the fans.

We can only take guests at face value - NRS is likely given a choice of which characters to use when told by WB that they have to put in guests. They pick them carefully - Ed seems to pick his personal favorites (the horror characters). Predator actually made me very happy since i'm a huge fan, and of all the guests they've given us, Predator would theoretically fit the most. Alien...I love the Alien, but Kotal Kahn squeezing Xenomorph blood onto his face, or Mileena eating Alien without consequence...no. You don't eliminate one of the core aspects of the character and shove him into the game. Not a fan of the design either. Total failure (even if fun to play).

When they released Freddy as the final DLC for MK9, I was absolutely furious. I never downloaded him, and didn't play the game for about 4 months after that. I knew more of the same was coming with MKX, and when I bought the special edition I pretty much sucked it up, knowing Jason would be polluting my roster. Leatherface was even worse. I just hope that the next guests inevitably shoved down our throats will be more fitting. I absolutely hate encountering Jason and Leatherface on the ladder.

Cannot agree more. If they ever do let us, the fans, choose it would have to be via a pre-determined poll, preferably featuring all the MK characters who make Story Mode appearances or those MK characters who missed out in general from appearing on the roster at all. Then take the two who got the highest number of votes. They could even turn it into a whole publicity thing where they give us a month or so to vote, update with daily statistics and all that jazz. It's really not that much work and it would be a true testament to their ties with the community and the fandom in general. I mean, hell, Fujin won that last big survivor thing we did here as well as being barked on about for months on Twitter. Characters like him, if they get cameos in Story Mode and come off cool as fuck, may finally have a chance to get in if something like this was implemented.

Tetra_VegaPosted: 04/14/2016 02:14 PMStatus ::

Visits::2421
Nationality::Canada

Yes a poll, then instead of calling the company's decisions shit, we can fight amongst ourselves, dividing the fanbase even more with childish insults.

What if the poll only includes a few characters?

Who would you like to see in the next MK?!
-Hsu Hao
-Kobra
-Dairou

Ka-Tra

13 YEARS! ^[2004-10 Komics Sig by Siklooted, tyvm]^ [2012-15 Komics *NEW 11/24/2015*] "Circling Vulture, Laughing Hyena" "All good things, in moderation..." "Mean what you say, and say what you mean. You never know, I could be a Djinn..." True story, it happened to a friend of a friend of mine... EVERYBODY!
frabnPosted: 04/14/2016 02:24 PMStatus ::

Tetra_Vega Wrote:
Yes a poll, then instead of calling the company's decisions shit, we can fight amongst ourselves, dividing the fanbase even more with childish insults.

-Hsu Hao

-Kobra

-Dairou

Ka-Tra

None of the above
image upload no size limit

KungLaodoesntsuckPosted: 04/14/2016 05:44 PMStatus ::

Tetra_Vega Wrote:

-Hsu Hao

-Kobra

-Dairou

Ka-Tra

Smash does polls and they get who they want. They have a better DLC selection process and I think MK should follow their example.

KenshiMaster16Posted: 04/14/2016 07:01 PMStatus ::

Tetra_Vega Wrote:
Yes a poll, then instead of calling the company's decisions shit, we can fight amongst ourselves, dividing the fanbase even more with childish insults.Ka-Tra

Literally happens regardless anyway. lol

oraclePosted: 04/15/2016 08:36 AMStatus ::

Visits::9365

He lying.

-sig by MINION Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Blade4693Posted: 04/15/2016 10:59 AMStatus ::

Visits::3252

So by listening to fans, you think he can included every single fan's requested characters? Well I guess if that's what were doing here ill join in on the fun.

You listen to the fans huh Ed? WHERE WTF IS DRAHMIN?!?! I am a fan that has requested his return and he isn't in the game, so you are a liarrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, and people did request Leatherface. Just because the majority of people on MKO/TYM/TRMK did not request Leatherface doesn't mean "no one requested him" Ed's twitter had plenty of people asking for the character. Just saying lol

PickleMendipPosted: 04/15/2016 11:49 AMStatus ::

Visits::29
Nationality::United Kingdom

Regarding from where the character decisions come...

Last night i watched Freddy vs Jason on DVD and there, during the trailers out popped TCM.

"Listen to the fans", Yeah buddy, sure.

Personally, at first i was not impressed with Leaterface's inclusion.
Then, I got a little excited after seeing the kombat kast with him.
Finally I got a chance to try him out, and my state of mind returned to its original disappointment.
Tetra_Vega Wrote:
-Hsu Hao
-Kobra
-Dairou

BTW, I vote Hsu Hao. I love that bald bastard.

STATE FED LIES CHARM EMPTY EYES. Anon.
frabnPosted: 04/15/2016 04:58 PMStatus ::

Blade4693 Wrote:

Oh, and people did request Leatherface. Just because the majority of people on MKO/TYM/TRMK did not request Leatherface doesn't mean "no one requested him" Ed's twitter had plenty of people asking for the character. Just saying lol

That's exactly the point - a lot of the whining that goes on on MKO goes under the assumption that MKO is the face, voice and heart of the fan base, when in fact it isn't any of those. It may have been so about 15 years ago, but that was then. These days, the forums could go days without a single post, and most of the activity is on the off-topic/general forum rather than anything MK related. MKO barely represents 1% of the current MK fanbase, where previously it was one of the loudest communal voices. Ed mostly interacts with the twitter community now.

That also goes back to my previous point - the absolute worst ideas, the stupidest character suggestions imaginable come directly from the fan base. A quick twitter search (or a search on MKO's previous posts) will show that the most laughable and embarrassing stuff comes from the fanbase directly, not Ed and NRS. For every one of us whose first experience with a Fatality was after pumping $0.50 into a Mortal Kombat arcade machine almost 25 years ago, there's about 500 others who didn't even know what Mortal Kombat was until MK9 came around. Unfortuantely, they tend to be the loudest and most obnoxious voices, which is why we get stupid suggestions that wind up becoming reality. Idiotic mob mentality is dangerous.

KungLaodoesntsuckPosted: 04/15/2016 08:03 PMStatus ::

Blade4693 Wrote:

Why not listen to those fan sites though? They follow the game closer than some random person on twitter. But no I guess casuals deserve to get what they want because money.

AsesinoPosted: 04/16/2016 05:18 AMStatus ::

Visits::14140
Nationality::Bulgaria

I don't agree. NRS is keeping an eye on MKO, because we're like part of the dev team. We're with them since before MK V released (that's 20 years) and fed them ideas till today. A lot of ideas from fans are taken and implemented in game. MKO is huge even if there aren't noobs here and there to yell and make roaster threads. So keep coming with ideas how MK should be. NRS is not giving a fuck for the casual button spammers. They care about the people who know the lore and if asked to join MK TEAM they'll work like they did for 20 years from day one.

lastfighter89Posted: 04/16/2016 07:22 AMStatus ::

Visits::5316
Nationality::Italy

Asesino Wrote:
I don't agree. NRS is keeping an eye on MKO, because we're like part of the dev team. We're with them since before MK V released (that's 20 years) and fed them ideas till today. A lot of ideas from fans are taken and implemented in game. MKO is huge even if there aren't noobs here and there to yell and make roaster threads. So keep coming with ideas how MK should be. NRS is not giving a fuck for the casual button spammers. They care about the people who know the lore and if asked to join MK TEAM they'll work like they did for 20 years from day one.

Hahahahahaha....never heard a bigger bullshit in my life.
Ed Boon wants to get rid of old school fans, he wants a new generations of fan. Although MK is usually rated "M for mature", Ed and NRS are aiming for a 12-13 years old demographics. Because they are easier-to-satisfy customers, easier-to-stun users, with flashy graphics, cinematic story mode, Dragon Ball level of martial arts and eastern lore/mythology level.
In minor part, they care for the competitive scene because EVO and ESL bring in some popularity boosts.

The 1992-2006 era fans were useful back in the Midway days, with a dying company on the costant brink of bankruptcy. Now they have WB backing their asses. They wanted to make a totally different take on the franchise, exactly like WB did to every other video game franchise in their catalogue. Think about the first F.E.A.R. and their sequels. Think about the Batman games before and after "Arkham". Think about Harry Potter, Lord of the Ring, etc.
Sometimes the changes made by WB were good (Batman), some other times it was destructive for the franchise (F.E.A.R. and LOTR).

MK is kinda in the middle. We have undeniably better games graphics and gameplay wise. Heck, we even have complete games and not half-backed betas like Midway days.
But MK kinda lost its tradition, its atmosphere, part of its lore.
Basically MK vs DC was a good predictor of things to come. Looking closely, MK X is another MK vs Dc with M rating. Or even better, an Injustice game with better graphics, gore and blood and MK characters, plus four unwanted guests.

Whats Injustice all about? Some good heroes fighting bad guys and alternative heroes gone bad.
What's with MK X? Good heroes fighting bad guys and ALTERNATIVE versions of heroes gone bad (the Revenants).
Superman becomes bad? Raiden did the same, but in a different way he already did in Deception.
Injustice if full of soldier, SWAT and generic military appearing out of nowhere?
Guess what? In MK X we have a military group appearing out of nowhere and with no real purpose in the story, if not being killed by demons or get their asses kicked by Shirai Ryu.
Injustice had level interactions? MK x did the same, although in a lesser way.

This comes from a guy that actually loved MK X the way it is. But the old school fans need to comply to the changes or make room for a nee generation of fas.

Page of 2

© 1998-2017 Mortal Kombat Online. All rights reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Mortal Kombat, the dragon logo and all character names are trademarks and copyright of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.