Garladors KOTW - Week 4 - Smoke Discussion
posted11/10/2011 11:55 PM (UTC)by
Garlador
Welcome, welcome, to the pantheons of illogical meanderings, as I, your gracious host, strap down yet another unlucky kombatant for us to shine a spotlight upon.

We've got Mileena, Nightwolf, and Sheeva out of the way.

It's Smoke's turn this week.

WHO IS SMOKE?
Smoke, or Tomas Vrbada, is sorta known as a Lin Kuei assassin, sorta known as the guy who went all "Domo Arigato, Mr. Roboto", and mostly known as the dude that plays second fiddle to his best friend, series poster boy, Sub-Zero.

(Basically, Smoke's the Chris Tucker to Sub-Zero's Jackie Chan.)

Smoke started off as a mysterious gray ninja hiding in the woods that would occasionally poke his head out to see what was going on... of course, you had to suspend your disbelief that he pulled over on the side of the road, rushed to the nearest tree to relieve his bladder, and then some huge fight stumbled in past him mid-stream.

("Can you guys fight somewhere else? I'm trying to piss back here!")

In some instances, he was originally said to be a spy for Shang Tsung, and the comics even wrote him as one of Shang's assassins that worked alongside Jade to kill the Earthrealm heroes. Unfortunately, that portrayal was a bit balls, and he was written as just a smidgen above functionally retarded.

(He also said "Toasty" a lot for no reason like an idiot savant. Even Reptile and Baraka sounded smarter than him.)

Since that portrayal of him sucked something awful, it was quickly established that, officially, Smoke was the best bud of the younger Sub-Zero that tagged along on an invite to Kahn's second tournament, giving him both more character development yet also damning him to being the one ninja that suffered from a crippling case of abandonment issues and social neediness.

(Smoke probably wasn't held enough as a baby)

Smoke's story didn't pick up, however, until he was captured by the Lin Kuei and forced into going through the 'cyber initiative' during MK3, where they turned him into a cyber warrior because the Grand Master was a fan of The Six Million Dollar Man.

("We can rebuild him... we have the technology...")

And just when Smoke's story finally took a turn for the interesting.... it was dropped and forgotten. I mean, literally. He didn't show up again until two games later and it outright said that, oops, everyone forgot about him and he'd been in Kahn's garage, a poor, lonely, forgotten robot, just sort of hanging out until something interesting stumbled into his lap.

(Unfortunately, that "something" was Noob Saibot, so Smoke never got to have an award-winning robot romance that delighted the young and the young at heart)

Smoke then served as the mindless tag-team back-up to Noob Saibot where... where he again did nothing but serve as the "mother" of a race of demonic nanomachines. Smoke's hysterical fall from grace and dignity climaxed when his Armageddon ending had him turning into a giant demonic smoke monster.

(He later had cameos in the TV series "LOST" as the smog monster...)

And thus was the end of generation 1 Smoke. He had his fans (all ninjas did), but it was hard to care about him when it seemed everyone else didn't really care either (including his "best friend" Sub-Zero.) But have no fear, for Smoke emerged from the ashes in the skin of Christopher Walken for the newest retread of the beloved trilogy era!

("Your older brother entrusted me with Shinnok's amulet. I had to hide it from Sektor for ten years... in my ass!")

WHY IS SMOKE IN THE SERIES?
Is Smoke a ninja? Do I seriously need to answer this question?

*sigh* Fine. I guess you can never have enough ninjas.

(Ed Boon: "MORE! MORE ninjas! I want this game to RAIN ninjas... wait... "rain" ninjas.... guys, I got an idea for a new ninja!")

After the success of Reptile as a hidden character in MK1, the MK team decided to make lightning strike twice and included a few secret characters in MK2 that did exactly what Reptile did in MK1 - he was a pallet swap that used the moves of other fighters. In this case, he was basically just Scorpion, except they accidentally hit "desaturate" in photoshop and covered him in smoke clouds so he wasn't the most generic looking ninja in history.

Ten points if you can figure out how long it took them to come up with his name.

(Put your damn hand down, Jimmy. I was being sarcastic.)

Smoke became all about Smoke. His hair looks like smoke. He turns into smoke. He's covered in smoke. He throws smoke bombs. He kills with smoke. He sounds like he's been chain-smoking since kindergarten. Even his catchphrase is "where's there's smoke there's fire".... which is a flat-out lie. I never saw any fire, unless you played in the Netherrealm stage. And if that's true, does that mean Smoke was always on fire?

("Where there's smoke, there's... oh, OH MY GOD! PUT IT OUT! PUT IT OUT!")

You'd think all that smoke wouldn't catch on, but Smoke had a lot going for him. For starters, he was a ninja (we've been over this), but he also followed two very important rules.

One: Smoke is cool.

(Totally cool, kids.)

Two: Smoke kills.

So we have a ninja killer made of smoke. Bona fide success story, people. That's almost as good as hot women on your bedroom floor with bras made of bacon.

(You just can't argue with combinations that irresistible)

SMOKE'S STORY -
We've already talked about Smoke's established story from the prior (e.g. -"unimportant now") generation, so let's tackle Smoke in this story.

We first see Smoke tagging along after Sub-Zero to find Sub-Zero's brother's killer, because Smoke and Sub-Zero are totally BFFs.

(And totally, like, for reals BFFs. No like that bitch Hydro that got all weird and stopped returning Smoke's calls.)

Smoke does his Smoke thing by wandering in the woods aimlessly until he's attack by ninja robots that seek to make him one of them.

("Resistance is futile.")

Despite being able to turn into Smoke and drift away, he gets cornered, until Raiden comes in to zap them off. Unfortunately, though he's spared, the Lin Kuei focuses on Sub-Zero instead and takes him in Smoke's place, altering the course of history.

And thus Smoke is free to forge his own path, to be his own man, to seek a new direction, free from the shackles of pointless waste and untapped potential. Finally, Smoke can move out from under the shadow of others and grow as a human being. Finally he...

... can die a needlessly pointless death that has him do nothing of worth after the robo-switch occurs and makes the storyline possibilities his original survival opened up utterly meaningless since he kicks the bucket anyway soon after.

I'm sorry, maybe I'm missing something. If you're going to go through the trouble of utterly changing a very big, important, character-defining moment in MK history, enduring fan backlash as you decimate the storylines and backgrounds of popular characters, I'd accept even that if it meant planting their feet on the path to a wide open new direction. Why would you instead do all that convoluted, needless altering that DOES set up some healthy future potential... only to negate it all immediately after?

(At least it wasn't all a dream..... OR WAS IT?!)

More baffling, to me, is how Smoke got killed. I mean, he gets his neck snapped by Sindel. But... couldn't he have escaped rather easily from that?

And thus the sad cycle of Smoke doing nothing continues. This is sad because, you know, apart from a death less dignified than what henchman number 63 got from any generic Schwarzenegger film, he actually had a very interesting personality, good presence, and surprising charisma. And let's not forget the hair.

(Such a godly mane of cascading silver locks, as if a waterfall of shimmering sex flowed from his dandruff-free scalp)

BUT... BUT BUT BUT.... Smoke also left an impression in his Arcade ending where it was revealed that Smoke was actually a young boy from Prague that was sacrificed to a demon and turned into a demon smoke monster and then forgot.

... Ain't THAT a pitch from left field?

("It's so brilliant! They'll never see it coming! Ever!... probably because it makes no goddamn sense!")

On one hand, that's actually pretty cool that he has a past, and an interesting one at that.

On the the other hand, if Smoke is really a smoke demon in human flesh that conveniently forgot, then it brings to question how the Lin Kuei managed to cybernize him the first time and how his demonic powers worked with technology.

It also shows that the Lin Kuei - that "chinese group of ninja assassins" - is about as Chinese as Mickey Rooney in Breakfast at Tiffany's.

(I don't think they're really asian....)

And Smoke is a lot less badass when you realize he grew up as "Tommy.... the gray-white ninja with the long, beautiful hair".

(The 90's - the era of color-coded ninja warriors)

SMOKE'S FUTURE
Smoke's in the same pickle as most of the good guys; he's dead, and Quan Chi has his soul, ready to use him and the others to invade Earth.

That's not very encouraging for his prospects.

(Well, MAYBE he can make it out okay....)

I'll be honest, though, I'm probably more disappointed in Smoke's fate than anyone else's, possibly even Sub-Zero's. Smoke has always been lacking. He's always been a second-string hanger-on that's never stood on his own two legs. The story in the game shook things up and forced him to break from this tradition, setting him up as a potential and unlikely hero in the absence of "greater" heroes like Sub-Zero... that was the trade-off I imagined would follow the controversial plot-swap where Sub-Zero took Smoke's fate.

But, nope, nothing was done with it. Sub-Zero and Smoke just traded storylines and Smoke was killed off before he could show an ounce of individuality or independence. His death was meaningless, unmourned, and inconsequential. And it's frustrating because the path was finally clear, the way open, for him to become something better. It was right there, staring at us smack-dab in the face, screaming and yelling, so blunt and obvious and necessary.... and instead Smoke's entire purpose spiraled in the opposite direction. Instead of becoming something better, he became this:

Whatever storyline that follows this, either Smoke will be just a bodybag to punch on during the inevitable Earthrealm invasion, an unimportant background character to tether the plot along, or he may repeat his fate from before, and just go unmentioned and forgotten for a few years and games until somebody remembers that, you know, Smoke's a pretty good character.

And, ultimately, he is. Smoke is a good character. He's got the pathos, the gameplay, the look, and the variety to stay interesting and relevant for years... it's just upsetting that, once again, NRS has failed to capitalize on the potential existing in characters and instead views them as rather disposable assets.

Frankly, I think Smoke deserved better. He came so far in this game, got so close, only to have his moment to shine stamped out.

He got crapped on, peeled off, and thrown away. And the last thing I want to do is have any MK character become the equivalent of a Huggies diaper.

(Smoke is not a receptacle of your bad, wasteful ideas!)

So that's Smoke. Do you agree? Do you not care about Smoke at all? Did you like his previous story? How about his new story? What do you think of his "smoke demon" origins? Do you prefer him human, or are you still calling this game incomplete until Cyber Smoke shows up?

Let's hear what you have to say. And let me know which kombatant should get his or her turn next.

Okay, thanks people. Garlador out.

WhereThereIsSmoke
About Me

If you use the term "spam" I have no time for your argument.

08/25/2011 06:36 AM (UTC)
FIRST!

Sweet, one of my fav characters. Oh and thanks btw, Now I have a Weathergirls song stuck in my head sad "It's raining ninjas, halleluya, it's raining ninjas...."
Detox
About Me

You work with what you got...not what you hope for.

08/25/2011 06:50 AM (UTC)
Fantastic as always sir. The Christopher Walken picture literally made me laugh until I got a headache.

Anyway, I'm more or less in complete agreement. I wouldn't have minded the swap had something been done with the opportunity, but alas, nothing. The swap robbed Smoke of being the tragic figure(pretty much the only thing he had going in the original timeline).

I can perhaps see him being a Smoke Demon as being of some importance now that he's in the Neatherealm. Seeing his true form break Quan Chi's shackles, or hell, maybe even being a sub boss of some kind.

My prediction though, he'll fight johnny cage or sonya in their first chapter, get beat down, and probably won't be heard from again.

Once again, great work. I wouldn't mind seeing Quan Chi get KOTW treatment, I'm thinking that would be a fun read.smile
AwesomeTaco
08/25/2011 06:51 AM (UTC)
I love reading these grin
mkwhopper
08/25/2011 06:52 AM (UTC)
Off Topic: LMAO "Put your damn hand down Billy, I was being sarcastic!" and nice threads as always Garlador =D
On Topic: Smoke always gets screwed over doesn't he? =__=
MadameBordella
About Me
Aw yeah, new MK!
08/25/2011 07:45 AM (UTC)
LMAO!!! I seriously am in love with these threads you're making on the characters Garlador. The Christopher Walken pic made me grin like an idiot.

I've grown quite fond of Smoke because of this game. Before, I was just neutral to him in general. I wonder what his future holds now that his and Sub-Zero's roles have been switched around (cyber business wise).

And heeeey, there's that itty bitty Sareena again...

*tries to kidnap the itty bitty Sareena*
GodlyShinnok
08/25/2011 07:50 AM (UTC)
Dude deserves 5 points for that post, lol.
Icy_X
08/25/2011 07:56 AM (UTC)
I never been a big fan of smokes story. He has always been good to play with though (cheap in mk3 if ya ask me). I liked him a lot in mkd with noob. And I really like they kept him human now. I haven't played with him much in mk9 but he seems decent.

I've never really understood smokes popularity exactly and I find it funny smoke fans never seem happy.

I think smoke has story potential still so we'll see what happens....
TheBlackRanger
08/25/2011 08:24 AM (UTC)
A LOST and an original Power Rangers reference...man, you have me looking forward to these threads!

I've always been relatively indifferent to Smoke, but that's just because I'm partial to only like three or four characters (gameplay-wise, of course). Regarding his story, I'm not so sure. With all of the revamping that went on, I'm sort of holding my breath on discussing my opinions on it until at least one more game comes out, so I kind of get an idea of how they want the story to go.

So yeah, awesome thread man. Look forward to more discussion (and wonderful, cleverly-captioned pictures).
Dragon36
About Me

</

08/25/2011 11:39 AM (UTC)
Very entertaining as always.

Keep 'em coming.wink
jucemk
08/25/2011 01:07 PM (UTC)
Dude, you're great. Havent read your first two, but your mileena breakdown was hysterical too. The thing that stands out to me is your obvious passion for the Mortal Kombat story, I agree too, the story aspect of this game does need some healthy criticism because despite NRS clearly spending a decent amount of time and putting alot of effort to making a complete story mode experience, there are some blatant plotholes and bad decisions creatively that glare out. IMO you poking fun at the stories and suggesting alternative perspectives on characters may prove useful if NRS does in fact lurk on message boards for feedback. Maybe (just maybe) they'll take the time to rectify some of the silliness next time around.

On topic smoke is great. awesome character and terrific gameplay! My girlfriend and I get so confused by "where there is smoke there is fire." LOL he has NO fire moves. that sounds like a NRS bonehead moment.

"What can his intro taunt be?"
"Ummmm....."
"Um........"
"Er????"
"Some old "smoke" catch-phrase that has absolutely nothing to do with the character?"
"BINGO!"
cagedrage
About Me
gamertag: jeeringjunk
08/25/2011 04:05 PM (UTC)
I loved everything about smoke in this game. he finaly became human, he has great moves, and his costume designs are perfect. then the went and broke his neck...sad
-Brad-
08/25/2011 06:09 PM (UTC)
Smoke's always been a top ten favorite of mine and it was interesting to see the man behind the cyborg mask.
I'm not going to judge the death scene, since likely the characters were writen to die. But I'm in favor of the new background origin info. Originating from Prague, Tomas Vrbada was sacrificed to a demon and unknowingly returned from the dead as an enenra.
It sounds like Smoke being killed may reawaken this enenra form, at least in the sequel becoming a possible wild card against Shinnok. Smoke's ending sounded slightly Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde to me, the way his hidden side lashed out and killed everyone. Almost like Sareena, except she's aware of her demon side.
Shame the sequel is going to be awhile leaving us guessing.
Insider2000
About Me

Keep dunking your Kenshi breadsticks into your Skarlet sauce, people! The main course isn't coming for a while, and you never know when it's going to be disappointing.

08/25/2011 06:47 PM (UTC)
I love your posts. I just love them.

I've always liked Smoke, but it was generally out of sympathy. I always felt bad at how he was used and abused by the Lin Kuei and Noob Saibot. I always wanted to see him free and possibly be a hero. I mean, Sub-Zero being the leader of the Lin Kuei with Frost, Sareena, and Smoke by his side would have been fucking awesome (though, Frost, of course, has to be a bitch =/).

So when I found out that Smoke was not only human, but working with the heroes, I was fucking pumped. All I could think of was having this massive collection of heroes in this game. Like it was going to be the Defenders of the Realm series, only good and with Jade, Johnny, Smoke, and Kabal included. And then, it happens....

Smoke: *sniff* Is it....is it my time to shine?
Me: I guess it is, Smoke. I'm happy for you.
*halfway through the MK3 story*
Smoke: Huff...huff....how have I been?
Me: ........Why are you so fucking stupid?

Seriously! I love Smoke in this game, but he's so fucking stupid. A GameFAQs user had it right when it came to the 'Jade defeating Mileena' cutscene:

Smoke: YOU ATTACK KITANA?
Jade: Wrong!
Raiden: VERY WRONG!
Smoke: I shall attack you!
Jade: Did you not hear me say 'Wrong'?
Raiden: DID YOU NOT HEAR ME SAY 'VERY WRONG'?
Johnny: Where did Mileena's unconscious body go? O_o

Now, this actually didn't bother me. This made Smoke come off as a rookie, unlike Tunra, Cyrax, or Sektor, so it made me like him a bit more. Sure, he's unstable, but there is potential for him to be awesome, especially with his now revealed past!

Smoke: So...you think I have potential?
Me: Of course you do! Several characters brought into the game were given potential. Especially you.
Smoke: That's awesome! I can't wait to tell...~ *neck snap*
Me: .........Did.....did he just die?
Smoke: ...............
Me: Well.....at least I can look forward to the other characters that I'm a fan of.
Stryker: .......... *face punched in*
Sub-Zero: ............ *uppercutted to death*
Kabal: .............. *suffocated over Sindel heel*
Jade: ............... *oh my god....*
Kitana: ................ *NOOOOOOO*
Sonya: ..... *waves politely* I'm okay. Just psychologically scarred.
Me: Well......that's good. I guess I could look forward to you and Mileena.
Mileena: CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE MONSTER ICE CREAM CAKE! *sucks on pacifier*
Me: *sobs painful, painful tears*

You know, it's characters like this that make me wonder if I can be a fan of any character in this series. I won't talk about those characters, because those characters will be brought up later, but I feel awful for Smoke fans.

No because he's an idiot, but because what he's become.

Writers: Let's make a character as awesome as possible, give the fans something to look forward to......AND THEN CRUSH THAT POTENTIAL DEEP WITHIN THE FINGERS OF OUR GRIP! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

This is so true with many, many characters.

Poor, poor Smoke.
daryui
About Me
08/25/2011 08:01 PM (UTC)
Garlador Wrote:
are you still calling this game incomplete until Cyber Smoke shows up?

Raiden Next!
KuaiLiang
About Me

PSN: manu_erizo
08/25/2011 08:03 PM (UTC)
Great analysis of my favorite character in MK9.

Awesome as always, Garlador.
drpvfx
About Me

08/25/2011 08:39 PM (UTC)
It's pretty impossible to deny that they had a golden opportunity
to develop him as a character, yet chose not to.

At least they gave him good gameplay
that both recalls his days as a Scorpion clone,
and gives him several unique attacks, as well.

Of all the non-DLC characters, Smoke is probably the most fun to play as, IMO.

And not to side-track things,
but while we're on the subject of wasted potential,
they also squandered a perfect opportunity
to finally give Rain some relevant backstory.

They may love their Ninja,
but none of them receive the same special treatment
that Scorpion and Sub-Zero do. sad
Jaded-Raven
08/25/2011 08:48 PM (UTC)
Awesome as always, Garly.

I hope to see a Jade or Rain thread like this at some point. ^^
SmokeNc-017
About Me
art by fear-sAs
08/25/2011 11:41 PM (UTC)
Oh Smoke. Why are you always the on the wrong end of the beating stick when it comes to NRS and their crazy ideas?

With the exception of Quan Chi and Cyber Sub-Zero Smoke was really the last big reveal left on the roster. We knew he'd be in it, the leaked voice samples from December confirmed him. Then we got the demo and once people hacked that we got his new origin and ending which were also leagues better than what he had before.

So a lot of speculation was surrounding him, and then we got a few quick snippets of him, first from the NRS studio tour pictures and then from that leaked video. And that's when we first got a real sense of just how awesome the character was gameplay wise, which to me is the number 1 priority. His smoke bomb, his teleport, his Akuma-style smoke in and smoke out, the Shake, which has become one of my favorite moves in the entire game, and his fatality, which was fucking awesome. It was one of the better ones simply because it didn't dismember or cut up the opponent, it melted them.

It shows that the team had at least put some effort into giving Smoke a real sense of flavor and personality, something he's never had before. Sorry old school fans, being best buddy to Sub-Zero and then being automate before being tossed aside for 10 years does not make for a very compelling character.

And I know some people will say that it's better than being a moron and getting killed of via neck snap by Sindel.

You know what, in retrospect I'd rather have the character killed off in an all out fight alongside Earth's warriors via neck snap than act as a voiceless, faceless, emotionless plot point to a story that was set to end in the next game anyway.

Yes, Smoke was handled poorly in this game, at least in the story mode, but his arcade ending and gameplay still make this one of the best incarnations of the character. Some people say he's lost his tragic aspect, some people are also idiots. Smoke's birth as an enenra, is no different than his automation during the Cyber Initiative in MK3. He was an unwilling participant then and now.

Garlador brings up the point that Smoke avoiding automation only to be killed off later really accomplishes nothing for the character. And in this game, he's right. But right now the only thing fans can do is adopt a wait-and-see attitude for the next game.

My pitch for the direction Smoke's character needs to go for the next game is mainly full Enenra for a large portion of it. Make him wild, make him deadly, and borderline uncontrollable. Make him Shinnok's attack dog while his soul is under Quan Chi's control. Smoke's advantage in Death is his enenra origin it could be used in some real interesting ways. Give him his equivelant of what was Sub-Zero's cryo armor as a look. A demonic elemental cage that keeps him in his enenra form but under enough control where he doesn't tear out Shinnok or Quan Chi's throat right away. If the next game really does have the souls of Earth's former champions as a prize, then it will at least open a chance for Smoke to go through the arc his cyber self did and win back a part of himself.
Sindra
About Me
08/26/2011 01:46 AM (UTC)

I am in COMPLETE agreement with your dissection of Smoke's potential and how it was simply thrown away with the non-cyber story turn. What the hell is the point of doing that and killing him off a few chapters later? CRUELTY, that's what. Cruelty to us fans of Smoke who've clamored for more character development from him and only gotten bits and pieces that, quite frankly, turned Smoke into the whipping-boy of the MK universe.

I appreciate the more backstory that they gave to him, including a real name (odd that he'd be Czech, but I liked the diversity they gave the Lin Kuei), but they squandered a golden opportunity to develop him into more than just "Sub-Zero's Best Bud who gets Shat on Constantly".
smokeman14
08/26/2011 02:28 AM (UTC)
SO....MUCH.....WIN...AGRED WITH....EVERYTHING!!!!!!!1111!!one!!!!1!!
Zmoke
08/26/2011 11:02 AM (UTC)
A lot of good points there. I really like the idea of Jekyll and Hyde for Smoke that -Brad- brought up. At the point Smoke was first introduced, there weren't very many ninjas back then - he was the first post-MK1 male ninja after all. About Smoke's potential being an Enenra sub-boss in the next game; it wouldn't be out of question considering he already was a sub-boss in Deception. I really hope NRS has got a plan with Smoke, rather than killing him out for no reason at all.
Smoke ́s character development:
1) Hidden Ninja Smoke MKII
2) Purple Cyber Smoke MK3
3) Human Smoke UMK3
4) Blue Cyber Smoke MKD
5) Demon Smoke MKA
6) Enenra Smoke MK2011→
7) Lin Kuei Smoke
8) Renegade Smoke
9) Zombie Smoke (Zmoke?)
10) Hellbeast Smoke MK10?
smokeman14
08/26/2011 06:44 PM (UTC)
This was really funny and the parentheses....these () below the Christopher Walken pic was funny as hell.

Do Stryker next...or Rain...or Noob Saibot, or Skarlet
Garlador
08/27/2011 08:05 AM (UTC)
Zmoke Wrote:
A lot of good points there. I really like the idea of Jekyll and Hyde for Smoke that -Brad- brought up. At the point Smoke was first introduced, there weren't very many ninjas back then - he was the first post-MK1 male ninja after all. About Smoke's potential being an Enenra sub-boss in the next game; it wouldn't be out of question considering he already was a sub-boss in Deception. I really hope NRS has got a plan with Smoke, rather than killing him out for no reason at all.

Does NRS really look like guys with a plan?

I do like the idea of Smoke's Enenra form reawakening upon his death in his natural homeland, the Netherrealm, once more. Would be cool to see if that's a path they'll venture down.
Human-Smoke-4-ever
About Me

Why couldn't this ending have happened?

08/28/2011 01:47 PM (UTC)
Insider2000 Wrote:

Smoke: YOU ATTACK KITANA?
Jade: Wrong!
Raiden: VERY WRONG!
Smoke: I shall attack you!
Jade: Did you not hear me say 'Wrong'?
Raiden: DID YOU NOT HEAR ME SAY 'VERY WRONG'?
Johnny: Where did Mileena's unconscious body go? O_o

Agreed. That fight just reeked of fulfilling the 4 fight quota. It felt forced. It's like Mileena was intended to be Jade's last fight but somebody noticed she only had 3 fights and she had to have another.

When I originally read the leaks and I saw characters like Kitana, Kung Lao and Liu Kang [though that's up in the air] died I was really looking forward to Smoke, Jade and some of the other secondary characters getting the spotlight in MK10. Unfortunately that went out the window very quickly.

NRS have the same mindset as DC Comics where its all about their top characters and everybody else is just decoration.
Pages: 2
Download on the App StoreGet it on Google Play
© 1998-2024 Shadow Knight Media, LLC. All rights reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Mortal Kombat, the dragon logo and all character names are trademarks and copyright of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.