The MKOmmunity Podcast Superstream!
posted03/15/2018 05:29 AM (UTC)by
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

What do you like? Hit the Toasty thumbs up on articles and forum posts for a quick response!
The O in "MKO" stands for Online, because, crazy as it seems, we're all a part of this big world wide web. There's a lot of cool stuff on the web, and some of the coolest (free) things are podcasts!

I favour the audio variety and greatly enjoy cramming hours of listening into my week. Maybe you do too, and would like to join me in dropping links to the latest episodes of your favourite listens!

One Word, Go! is a show hosted by your pal and mine: Torchia. The word-centric show has its own thread and could be a good place to start.

Like the One Word, Go! show - some of these podcasts are bound to overlap with subjects already covered (or ready to be) by other threads. By all means, comment on the episodes share in this thread, but please respect the forum and seek out those appropriate avenues for general discussion.

Also be sure to adhere to the general rules expected of all users on the forums. Otherwise: drop some sweet podcast links on us!
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

What do you like? Hit the Toasty thumbs up on articles and forum posts for a quick response!
03/16/2014 10:25 AM (UTC)
- I Love Green Guide Letters Ep. 112: LIVE! Adam Richard, Greg Fleet, Chris Wainhouse & Chris Turner love Green Guide Letters! [NSFW]

I Love Green Guide Letters is a very niche place to start, but if you happened to see the MKO Twitter stuffing around about the number of Goro's arms - this is the episode referenced. [Rest assured, somebody was severely reprimanded for this blatant abuse of MKO resources.]

As an Australian comedy podcast, it's probably already a couple of layers into obscurity, but factor in the fact it's also built around letters written to a community entertainment guide in Melbourne, and it's very obscure. It's also very fun and funny, but firmly in NSFW territory, so listen responsibly well out of earshot of anybody who expects anything of you.

Also: No talking during the letters.
Mojo6
About Me

03/16/2014 06:50 PM (UTC)
Cool thread. I semi-regularly listen to podcasts as well. On that list:

- Kombat Tomb Podcast - The official offline/online NRS community podcast featuring GGA 16bit, GGA Slips, and K7 with a rotating weekly special guest.

- Giant Bombcast - Official weekly podcast of the gaming site Giant Bomb.

- Injustice League Podcast - Another offline NRS / Injustice podcast featuring personalities from the East Coast and the popular weekly NJ local tournament The Break.
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

03/17/2014 03:17 AM (UTC)
- FOFOP #97: There's Always Another Way In [NSFW]

Another Australian comedy podcast. This episode isn't quite current, but I'm listening to it now while I toil away on MKO content, and enjoying (as I often do) the message. It's the alternate timeline of TOFOP -- a conversational podcast started by Australian comedy powerhouse Wil Anderson and his actor/director pal Charlie Clausen.

FOFOP is the post-Clausen counterpart of the series, begun when he scored a role on a prominent, prime time, commercial Australian soap opera called Home and Away. The often NSFW content led to a conservative request for Clausen to step aside. Now there are regular "guest Charlies" in the parallel universe of FOFOP.

This particular episode features another Australian comedian/satirist/social observer named Dan Illic. They're both in LA and have some swell stories to share. Shitty journalism in the internet age got me nodding, party crashing and Bill Murray in vests got me smiling, crucifix' in intimate places got me the kind of salacious sexual reference that internet websites demand.
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

03/17/2014 06:24 AM (UTC)
- FREE TODAY! Mar 16 Wrestling Observer Live: Bryan Alvarez and Mike Sempervive talk WWE Raw, Daniel Bryan YES Movement, WrestleMania, TNA Lockdown, UFC 171, tons more!

Wrestling fans will probably know Wrestling Observer Live, even if only because they've read about it second-hand on other websites who thrive on the source.

Sometimes the broadcast and commentary is infuriatingly stupid, but the latest free episode is a nice opportunity for anyone who wants to wallow in The Yes Movement and other current affairs. Of course, anybody who does want to do that should refer to the WWE Superthread and the seasonally significant Wrestlemania XXX thread.
Mojo6
About Me

03/17/2014 06:56 AM (UTC)
- Hot Comics Plopcast - is ComicBookGirl19's podcast covering Comics, Movies, Nerdom pop-culture, and other things. I mainly dig CBG19 for her videos but the plopcast can be fun too (even if you're not a huge comic nerd).
- The HAWPcast - If you don't know Ashly and Anthony Burch and the web series "Hey Ash Whatcha Playin'?" then...well...you're missing out. Podcast covers more geek stuff (Movies, Games, Gender roles in pop-culuture, and other things).
Torchia
03/17/2014 01:54 PM (UTC)
Hey, neat! Thanks so much for the shout-out in the OP! That's awesome.

I'm here to recommend (NSFW)Distorted View Daily(NSFW)

The host, Tim Henson, finds the strange part of the internet and shares it with us five days a week. Think of Distorted View as a place to turn off your conscience for 30 minutes, and laugh at the things you're not supposed to laugh at; whether that be funny sex sounds, people getting hurt in the news, or any other general tomfoolery. Nothing is off limits to Tim. Listen with your own discretion, and remember to turn off your brain before going in.
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

03/18/2014 09:50 PM (UTC)
- 30 Years of Wrestlemania Ep. 6: Rowdy Roddy Piper

Can't go wrong with a bit of the Hot Rod during Wrestlemania [XXX] season. PodcastOne have really been knocking it out of the park for wrestling fans. This one's a bit unique, in that it's an officially WWE endorsed series hosted by Renee Young. If you used to listen to her on The Score, you know that's an overdue use of talent.

If you've heard Roddy Piper reminisce about Wrestlemania before, this probably won't be a revelation, but it's a nice listen. A bit more lively than some of the previous guests (Shawn Michaels, Edge, Bret Hart).

Remember: There's a WWE Superthread and Wrestlemania XXX thread for more general discussion about this stuff.
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

03/19/2014 06:08 AM (UTC)
- Now Playing Podcast: The Mangler Retrospective Series
Episode 1: The Mangler

When it comes to pop corn movie podcasts, I've struggled to find one that really scratches my itch. A majority I've come across are well meaning, but amateur. Now Playing Podcast isn't necessarily a bastion of knowledge, but it gets the job done. Enthusiastic review and discussion of movies, good and bad.

They specialize in bulk series and today hit The Mangler phase of their Stephen King retrospective. Their plan is to review every film based on a Stephen King premise, with a review order based on the publication of the stories (rather than the films). They've done Carrie and The Shining -- which arguably means the most interesting stuff is all on the table. I'm not likely to revisit The Mangler anytime soon, but I enjoy hearing about it.
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

03/20/2014 04:30 AM (UTC)
- The Ross Report Ep. 5: Mick Foley

A lot of people have missed hearing Jim Ross bark about wrestling. He's another of the PodcastOne armada who're doing good things with the all new, all audio version of The Ross Report.

Mick Foley is someone even lapsed fans will know well. Some great general talk and some of the wackiest moments I've heard from Ross. Even dips into the he's got a family well for a nice Saturday Morning Slam gag. For the diehard wrestling fans, the show's front ended with some really good criticisms about ugly trends in the industry. The kinds of thing many are talking about, and others should be.

As always: Some of these discussion topics have and can continue to be discussed in the WWE Superthread or the special Wrestlemania XXX thread.
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

03/20/2014 01:32 PM (UTC)
- Giant Bomb: Lorne Lanning Isn't Giving Up on Oddworld

I'm not usually a Giant Bomb listener, despite it being one of the more talked about podcasts in the gaming-sphere. I'm a big fan of Lorne Lanning, though, and always very keen to hear what he has to say about things. Very excited for the return of Abe and the Oddworld universe. Great to hear more about the genesis of how that return has come about.

For more, don't forget to check out the Oddworld: New n Tasty thread.
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

03/20/2014 03:13 PM (UTC)
- FREE TODAY! Bryan Alvarez and Dave Meltzer talk to Mick Foley about Daniel Bryan storyline, HBK and Randy Orton matches, RAINN WrestleMania raffle with awesome first prize, Santas and more!

Another great Mick Foley, this time with Figure Four Daily/Wrestling Observer tag team of Bryan Alvarez and Dave Meltzer. Lots of topics covered here that weren't on the Ross Report. Some interesting stuff about past matches, promotions and Wife Swap and such.

See also; WWE Superthread and Wrestlemania XXX.
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

03/20/2014 04:14 PM (UTC)
- Retronauts Volume III Episode 18: Video Game Media

Not quite what they used to be, but still one of the great enthusiastic nostalgia casts. Retronauts used to be part of 1UP, before its untimely demise as part of an acquisition by UGO. Now they're on their own and running amok through the history of gaming! Not always the most diverse reference base, but informed and interesting within a broad scope.

Listening to this episode now, and just enjoy the nostalgia. Anybody who played video games in previous decades probably has some history with the magazine culture. The Retronauts gang have given the topic plenty of time, and delved deep into US magazine history. Some great overlap with changes in the culture, how it was represented, and the different flavours it could deliver. Some good backstory and origins of what might now be your favourite websites.
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

03/20/2014 08:17 PM (UTC)
- Parappa the Rapper and Um Jammer Lammy Bring on the Jams in Retronauts Episode 17

Doing a little Retronauts catch-up. Don't necessarily with all of the editorial, but there's some great discussion about PaRappa the Rapper, UmJammer Lammy and some of the other rhythm games of the time. A nice acknowledgment of the PSX era and the imagination it fuelled, too. Hits my sweet spot. Agree or not, it's 1.75 hrs of wallowing in the good stuff.
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

03/21/2014 11:24 AM (UTC)
- Go Out of this World with Retronauts Pocket Episode 17

More Retronauts catch-up. Another great episode. Games like Another World always held a certain fascination but often managed to be just out of reach. I didn't have much of any experience with the game(s), so this was a very enlightening retrospective. Well worth a listen, particularly illuminating for the curious but uninitiated.
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

03/23/2014 05:18 AM (UTC)
- I Love the Green Guide Letters Ep 113 : Nui Te Koha & Tommy Dassalo love the 13/03/14 Letters

An impenetrable matrix of information with guest Nui Te Koha of The Herald Sun (newspaper) and Tommy Dassalo, whose cruiserweight tones can be heard on his own show - The Little Dum Dum Club. More Australian comedy, more Jerry Lewis being a dick on a boat, much much more matrix. Get drunk on a maelstrom of unfamiliar references, both foreign and imagined.
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

03/27/2014 02:18 AM (UTC)
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

03/27/2014 12:44 PM (UTC)
- FOFOP #100: Never Had A Bad Gig [NSFW]

On the one hand, this is a pretty bog standard episode that in no way celebrates the occasion of 100 episodes of the FOFOP continuum. On the other hand, it's the perfect milestone celebration, returning the podcast to the classic format of just a couple of guys shooting the shit. In this instance, it's sporadic regular and Australian stand-up Justin Hamilton who's there to be "Guest Charlie" 100 [not accurate number]. No agenda. No mining a special guest for tidbits about their life and career. Just chatting.

If I'm honest, I generally find Hamilton a tough listen. If Anderson is the friend you enjoy stuffing around with - Justin's his other mate who just leaves you wondering about friend #1. In no way a bad episode though, by any means. Plenty of circuit talk, Harrison Ford, Madmen, True Detective and other. Just classic FOFOP with one of the mid-card regulars.

Relevant promo image discussed on the show [those were the days]:

Mick-Lucifer
About Me

03/29/2014 04:59 AM (UTC)
- Place to Be Podcast Episode 301: Royal Rumble 2002

Given the massive quantities of pro wrestling content on the web, the dearth of informed, intelligent coverage can be pretty shocking. For my money; Place 2 Be Nation's Vintage Vault series is some of the very best there-to-see-it retrospective coverage on the web. Not only is it savvy and informed, but also delivered with a bit of personality - something often missing from this type of content.

The Vintage Vault series has been reviewing every WWF/WWE Pay-Per-View event since the start. The network of podcasts has expanded in recent times (along with a website), but this is where the heart is. They've just hit one of my absolute favourite years in recent history, starting with Royal Rumble 2002. Well worth a listen, if you can hang memories with a bit of good fun.

As always, for more discussion about this topic be sure to refer to the WWE Superthread.
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

04/03/2014 05:32 AM (UTC)
- FOFOP #102: Pancakes [NSFW]

Very fun, very Aussie conversation about being homosexual in rural Australia. The trials, the challenges, the confusion about pancakes. Twitter personality/commentary Rebecca Shaw (@Brocklesnitch) is the guest in question. I like to think that's pretty obscure and I'm not just a lazy, ignorant jerk who never clicks on the tweets when I see them.
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

04/03/2014 06:37 AM (UTC)
- Place to Be Podcast 302: No Way Out 2002

Even though 2002 was one of my last favourite full years of WWE, No Way Out wasn't one of the events that have stayed with me. It's got a massive gimmick, one that didn't really appeal to me. I haven't seen it in 12 years, which makes going back through this Vintage Vault review is a lot of fun. It was the last major stop before Wrestlemania X-8, which makes it a seasonally appropriate show.

As always, these conversations can be continued in the: Wrestlemania XXX or WWE Superthreads.
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

04/06/2014 02:42 PM (UTC)
- FOFOP #103: Australia’s Next Top Ball Boy [NSFW]

There's really no explaining the event that is Ash Williams. After a few minutes, you will know him. He will know you. He will ask to borrow your underwear and depending on your persuasion, you may lend it to him. As a guest on FOFOP, he shares but an episodic slither of the experience that is his life. [Disclaimer: If you don't have a threshold for Australian characters, this one probably won't be for you.]

- FOFOP #104: Donut Enthusiast [NSFW]

Anderson's old radio pal Sam Mac shares stories from his alleged "celebrity" grand prix experience at the recent F1, and crosses lines RE: breakfast television mascots.

- ITWTABT #5: A Good Day to Die Hard [NSFW]

I ThinK We Talked About This is the "best of" meets the "gritty reboot" of the original TOFOP series. Original co-host Charlie Clausen remains in tact to talk Batman, other superheroes, gargoyle crouching, belated brilliance, Noiseworks and lots of conversational topics that made FOFOP simultaneously a great show, and a completely average show. Fun for the well adjusted, confusing for the squares.
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

04/08/2014 02:48 PM (UTC)
- This week in Retronauts, we go (Captain) Commando

A nice little interlude about the NES era of Capcom. A look back at the best and worst of the 8-bit era of Capcom's console-specific releases.
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

04/09/2014 02:27 PM (UTC)
- Place to Be Podcast #303: Wrestmania XXX Recap

One last chance to relive the big one! Big ol' review from the P2B gang, who had the pleasure of being in New Orleans for this year's Wrestlemania XXX. If for some reason you're waiting to watch, you're obviously wading into spoilers. Folks who want to chat it up should check out the Wrestlemania XXX Superthread.
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

04/13/2014 02:34 AM (UTC)
- FOFOP #105: Batman's A Top [NSFW]

In a particularly unsafe for work episode: Batman's on top in an Aranofsky Superman sequel, The Mighty Ducks goes under the microscope, receives a gritty reboot, and more. Good times with Guest Charlie #1 Dave Anthony.

Pages: 6
Download on the App StoreGet it on Google Play
© 1998-2024 Shadow Knight Media, LLC. All rights reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Mortal Kombat, the dragon logo and all character names are trademarks and copyright of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.