Garladors KOTW - Week 6 - Stryker Discussion
posted09/20/2011 08:36 PM (UTC)by
Garlador
It's that time again. Okay everyone, circle around. We're going to have ourselves a little chit-chat.

With Sheeva, Nightwolf, Mileena, Smoke, and Shang Tsung squared away, we turn our attention to one of the most interesting characters MK has ever had.

("Police Brutality, coming up!")

WHO IS STRYKER?
First off, Kurtis Stryker is a Chicago police officer in the MK universe whose idea of "reading you your rights" involves punching the Miranda document right into your face.

(Bad boys, bad boys, whatcha gonna do? Whatcha gonna do when Stryker disembowels you?)

Stryker originally was one of the "chosen ones" whose soul Kahn wasn't able to suck out during the events of MK3, leaving him to help save Earthrealm.

And... that was pretty much it.

Seriously, we don't know what Stryker did, if anything, during that period. He could have just roamed around or watched TV in his apartment during the invasion, and then Stryker just dropped off the face of the earth after that. Even Sheeva got the ignoble mention of being killed by Kano's treachery, while Stryker just sort of floundered about in whatever negative zone limbo unused MK characters hang out in.

Okay, to be fair, Stryker did show up as a random guy wandering around Orderrealm in Deception, but, seriously, Apep had more dialogue than he did.

(Here's Apep having 312% more to do with Deception than Stryker)

He finally returned in Armageddon, aka "the game with everyone - yes even Mokap and Meat" - so that's not saying much.

("If we put enough characters in, maybe they won't realize the rest of it sucks!")

WHY IS STRYKER IN THE SERIES?
Stryker was envisioned for MK all the way back in Mortal Kombat 1. While they were making the game, however, they realized they were missing something... girl power. So Stryker was turned into Sonya Blade.

(Yes, they turned Stryker into a woman)

He was then supposed to be in Mortal Kombat 2... but they realized they needed more diversity, and so he got replaced with Jax.

(Yes, they turned Stryker black)

Finally, in the third game, they had a spot for him, and the right look needed to due him justice.

(They just took Uncle Joey from Full House, put a baseball cap on his head, and told him to fight ninjas)

They tried to go a different route for Stryker in the game. See, unlike the other fighters, the ones that spent their entire lives dedicated to mastering the martial arts and tapping into their inner powers, Stryker just decided that was too much work and decided to shoot these deadly, disciplined mystic warriors in the face instead.

(It worked for Indiana Jones)

The MK team thought he'd become one of the most popular and beloved characters due to his unique moves and every-man status.

How wrong they were.

You have to remember, this was the 90's. Unlike today, that primitive society didn't exactly adore cops.

(with the exception of almighty Robocop. He died for our sins and rose again to deal justice to the wicked.)

Around the time Stryker debuted, in fact, most youth had been taught to hate all cops instinctively, just as our society universally now innately hates Kardashians.

(This was basically the Sesame Street of our generation.)

And then you had the fact Stryker wasn't exactly as fit as a fiddle as the mountain of muscles that portrayed the other fighters.

(here's how every MK fan saw Stryker compared to Scorpion)

And then throw in the fact that many people felt he "cheated" by using guns and tasers and grenades in a martial arts tournament.

(I guess Batman "cheats" too... and yet nobody cares. Because he's Batman.)

Stryker's grand debut was a huge flop and at the time he became THE most hated Mortal Kombat character ever, someone so bland and boring and uninteresting that when Jarek showed up in Mortal Kombat 4 people kept saying "huh, well at least he's not Stryker-level bad." And that trend continued for years.

However, Stryker lucked out. See, when he debuted, he may have been the most hated MK character ever, but then MK kept making games with new characters, and to our surprises, they sucked so much more than Stryker to the point that Stryker, by comparison, started looking pretty good.

(Perspective and hindsight are damn interesting, aren't they?)

By the time Armageddon rolled around, Stryker was granted a new shot at life.

He debuted looking like a reject from a G.I. Joe cartoon.

(One of these characters was marketed to little kids with toys and lunchboxes. The other ripped out vital organs and decapitated defeated victims with his bear hands. I still get confused which was which.)

Even with a huge redesign, which was still considered an "improvement" in the sense that a kick to the balls is less painful than a cactus up the ass, Stryker didn't really catch on.

It seemed the dream was dead. Stryker was 2-0. It seemed the golden boy just wasn't meant for greater things...

STRYKER'S STORY-
As we covered so thoroughly earlier, Stryker's original story was that he was just... one of the chosen ones... and that meant he was special or something and could help save the world.

(Raiden TOLD him he was special, so it MUST be true!)

Stryker did nothing of real importance after this because, as mentioned, people used to hate him with a passion usually reserved for child molesters and bad mothers that kill their kids.

(Though they're in this game too....)

But in this new timeline... NRS did the impossible. Seriously. They made Stryker not just tolerable, they made him AMAZING.

One of the first things they did was they changed it so Stryker just didn't wake up and find everyone gone, so instead of making him more suited for a zombie survival movie than a fighting game...

("Huh, I wonder where everyone is...")

... They threw him right into the thick of a full-on warzone like Saving Private Ryan meets Hellboy. We're introduced to Stryker being less a rent-a-cop and more full-blown Commando badass, thus changing how we've perceived him in one big, appreciated alteration.

("Try the Reboot Diet! With just Five Easy Installments, you too can turn into an awe-inspiring dispenser of death and one-liners!")

But they didn't stop there. Nope, they gave him a buddy-partner, none-other than the fan-favorite Kabal! And, sure enough, their buddy-cop routine and mutual friendship was one of the best things this game had to offer.

(It's like a buddy-cop movie, except they're BOTH played by Bruce Willis)

But then Stryker's Story Mode chapter just eradicated any lingering notions that Stryker was anything less than our video game Chuck Norris. Cool as a cucumber, Stryker burst onto the scene practically demanding an explanation for why nobody invited him to the second MK tournament so he could've stopped Kahn between his night shifts and hooker runs. Sure enough, he proceeds to take out Reptile, Ermac, Mileena, and even friggin' Kintaro with about as much effort as it takes him to zip up his fly.

That's not even touching his gameplay. While Stryker maintains most of his vintage moves, everything about him has been upped several notches on the macho meter, and the addition of a great voice actor makes taking him into battle quite a joy. There's just something about Stryker misusing a simple flashlight by cracking it into the skull of someone else, then shattering their jaw with a baton, then ramming his taser up their tonsils and zapping their brains out that just makes one want to applaud.

(Bravo! Bravo! Encore! Encore!)

It's surreal. It's the comeback story of the decade. How NRS managed to turn Stryker, once so hated, once so loathed, once so mocked and despised, and in one game made him not JUST viable but POPULAR and COOL is a feat so spectacular that we thought only Hollywood could pull it off.

(And he didn't need Freddie Prinze Jr.'s help either!)

I'm mean, wow, it feels so good to see that kind of turn around. I'm sure NRS will take all that positive goodwill about the new Stryker and just run with it! I mean the doors are wide open and the fans have finally shown up to support him. I can only imagine what a bright future awaits him.

(Oh. Well, crap.)

STRYKER'S FUTURE-
It feels like I'm beating a dead horse, but until I'm sure those spasms are rigor mortis and not signs of life, I'll keep beating it, but what a wasted opportunity.

Everyone's fate is tragic in MK2011... but not in the way NRS probably intended. It's more tragic for the fans than for the characters involved, and this is especially true for those poor Stryker fans that waited over 16 years for their favorite character to get the breakthrough they believed he could do and to launch himself into the ranks of the heavy-hitter heroes. He proved himself as one of MK's best, and he made a convert of the skeptics (myself included). And after rising further than arguably any character in recent memory from any game in recent memory, he gets a very painful and highly unnecessary send-off (one punch to the face?) that I didn't even know killed him until he showed up in Quan Chi's realm with the other dead heroes.

And he's stuck there with the rest of them for the foreseeable future. Whenever MK10 rolls around, it'll most likely have him as a lackey or forgotten entirely. Regardless, unless NRS manages to pull off another miracle, the chances of him getting the same sort of boost and respect he had at the beginning of his debut in this game is highly unlikely, and that's a crying shame.

You know what it was like? It was like taking that kid everyone picked on and said would never amount to anything, telling him you believed in him, encouraged him to rise up and fulfill his potential, and seeing him finally become the hero we all knew he could be...

(Yeah! You go, kid! You got HEART!)

... And then breaking him into a thousand pieces right at the finish line, ruining his life, and then watching all that work, love, and commitment waste away until he ultimately just gives up and dies, cold, alone, and with a lifetime of potential that shall never be fulfilled.

(Damn. Just... damn.)

What does the future hold for Stryker? I don't know. For Stryker, I don't even care. I had him for THIS game. For one brief, shining moment, Stryker was better than he's ever been before. For one glorious chapter of Story Mode, Stryker was one of the coolest characters in the franchise. But like a grand firework, he was incredible and thrilling... and then his spark was snuffed out and he was enveloped in the darkness of hackneyed story telling.

Well, Stryker buddy, I apologize for doubting you. I'm sorry for the insults I sent your way. I gave you a lot of crap over the past nearly two decades. And you proved this old fan wrong.

(Stryker, you have the right to remain awesome. Anything you say can and will be quoted and loved by all. You have the right to another reboot. If you cannot afford a reboot, the fans will provide one for you...)

So, what do you say, peeps? Did Stryker convert you like he did me? Do you still think he's the worst character ever? Are you sad he's gone? Glad to see him go? How do you like his gameplay? Do you think his guns and grenades fit the style of Mortal Kombat or do you prefer it "pure" and hand-to-hand? Would you like him to return? Or do you think Stryker isn't "really" Stryker unless his hat is turned backwards?

Okay people, it was fun. Let me know who I should do next week!

Thanks. Garlador out.
Insider2000
About Me

Keep dunking your Kenshi breadsticks into your Skarlet sauce, people! The main course isn't coming for a while, and you never know when it's going to be disappointing.

09/09/2011 05:26 AM (UTC)
......I don't see how I'm related to this discussion at all. tongue
SmokeNc-017
About Me
art by fear-sAs
09/09/2011 05:57 AM (UTC)
I'll post a bigger rant later, but to sum it up, Stryker and Smoke are this game's Ermac from Deception. And I've supported the character since MK3. Funnily enough, those three are my top three characters in this game. Anyway, it sucks that they squandered so much potential on Stryker and so many characters.

But yes, stay tuned for another long winded rant, but one that's less hate filled than my Shang Tsung one.
Insider2000
About Me

Keep dunking your Kenshi breadsticks into your Skarlet sauce, people! The main course isn't coming for a while, and you never know when it's going to be disappointing.

09/09/2011 07:06 AM (UTC)
Okay, here comes my eternally long post on Stryker. I'm going to throw some of my background with Stryker, and then give my opinion on him on this game. So if you want to skip my background, by all means.
-------------------------
My first MK game was Ultimate MK 3. I played it for the Sega Genesis when I was in the first grade. I won't lie: the game scared the crap out of me, but I'd be lying if I didn't think that it was one of the many games that eventually led me to turn from a kid afraid of his own shadow to a horror movie freak. I loved the game, and even though it scared me (Reptile's tongue fatality scared me the most, honestly), I didn't want to stop playing.

And I remember the first time I played it, I looked through the roster. I picked Stryker. When I got UMK3, I had no idea what MK was. NO IDEA! I didn't know ANY of the characters. Before UMK3, the games I REALLY knew were Sonic, Power Rangers games, and Disney games (Disney games were fucktastically awesome). So, I didn't know who Sub-Zero, Scorpion, Reptile, Liu Kang, Stryker, or any of these guys.

I just chose Stryker because I thought he looked cool. I know. Weird. I was a kid. I realize his old costume looks a tad ridiculous now, but then, I thought he was a bad ass mother fucker. I didn't have any friends who played MK when I was a kid, so I didn't have anyone telling me how lame Stryker apparently was (I didn't have them....YET). First grade, I got into an argument over how Sub-Zero (who will always be my second favorite MK character) could beat the shit out of Pikachu. I was a fucking kid.

But I remember when I learned about Stryker. Who he really was. When I read his ending about how he didn't know why he was chosen, my perspective of him changed. By the time I actually beat this game, I knew the roster pretty fucking well. I knew the monsters this game had, and I knew how different Stryker was from most them (though, I didn't see much difference between him and that of Jax or Sonya....I still don't). So when I read that he, despite questioning why he was chosen, stood up and brought down the forces of evil, I knew he'd be my favorite.

Understand something. I was afraid of EVERYTHING. The dark, my shadow, bugs (still am), lizards, death, pointy objects, any horror movie, monsters, turd monsters (I'm serious). So then here I am, playing a game FILLED with characters I'm afraid of. ESPECIALLY REPTILE! (Which is funny, since Reptile is probably my fourth favorite character now. Third is Sareena.) So, seeing some random guy stand up and beat the ever-loving shit out of all those freaks, stand up, and protect the world? I fucking IDOLIZED him.

By the time MK4 came out, I had access to the Internet. I eventually learned how much people hated him. It bothered me, but by this time, I was a bit absorbed by Sub-Zero. I played Mythologies, and I thought Sub-Zero was pretty bad ass. However, I didn't know the difference between Bi-Han and Kuai Liang. So, I pretty much went into MK4 being a Sub-Zero fan, but still wishing Stryker was there with me.

But I think Deadly Alliance was where I was really concerned about Stryker. I mean, I was surprised by the roster. It had Kung Lao, Cyrax, Shang Tsung, and Kano, all of which were forgotten in MK4 as well (I never played MK4 Gold). So, I was pretty bummed. I was also annoyed by Sub-Zero's new look, and pretty much hated Deadly Alliance. Looking back now, Deadly Alliance was actually a really good game.

Then Deception came out. By this time, I knew the MK series was a bit of a mess. I then noticed that Stryker WAS in this game...just not playable. By now, I pretty much felt that not only did the fan base hate him, but so did the developers. I pretty much gave up all hope of ever seeing him again.

And then, Armageddon happened. And I saw that poster that had all 60 or so characters lined up. I saw Sareena, and flipped out with joy. I saw Rain, and I started searching frantically. And I found Stryker. You have no idea how happy I was at that point. I thought Armageddon was going to be the great thing ever for MK. Dear god, was I wrong.

I'm sorry. I will say that Deadly Alliance was an excellent game, but Armageddon.... Stryker's inclusion just felt like the developers saying, "This will shut people up". I was so upset by the redesign. At this point, I gave up hope on MK. I didn't even really give MK vs DCU a chance.

--------------------------

AND THEN MK9 REARED ITS HEAD!

I remember watching the game grow and thinking, "Yeah. I guess I could use more MK." I watched the roster grow slowly, and talked to some of my friends about the game. If Stryker was ever mentioned, it'd be them pretty much hating on him and how it would be stupid for him to even be included. One or two people would support him, and I'd give my input basically saying, "I'd love for him to return, but I don't see it happening".

And then the screenshot of him in-game came out. All of my friends screamed in anger all at once. And I couldn't help but cry with joy for him. Yes, it was the picture of him getting beat by Jax. Yes, my friends laughed at that. Never once bothered me. I practically wanted to step into the picture, hug Stryker, and tell him how much I missed him. And it felt like the REAL him, and not what I felt was a cheap imitation in Armageddon. And I swore, speaking up against my friends, he would be my character. He would be my main.

As of now, majority of my friends like Stryker now. They, and myself included, were really happy with the reboot. Stryker is awesome. Bad ass moves, bad ass fatalities, bad ass victory pose, just....BAD ASS.

I found myself feeling the same way I did as a kid, only different. Watching his ending, I practically fell in love. Pathetic. Very pathetic. But I just felt that, if I ever met someone like Stryker...Someone willing to sacrifise it all for the sake of others. Someone who doesn't need reward for his deeds. Someone who throws himself against all odds. I just know that if I met a man like that, I'd want to stand beside him. I'd want to make him smile. I realize how pathetic it is for me to have gotten this from a fictional character, but seeing who he really is and seeing how he still has a vast amount of haters, it just makes me want to find someone who needs the support and love, like him.

So yeah, I was really bummed when I found out he died. Especially, to the extent he died. I just remember, practically screaming with my mind, "THEN WHY DID YOU BRING HIM BACK!" I felt really betrayed, and really, when I found out, nobody really cared about the deaths at that moment. Combine that with the fact that I thought my mother was going to die at the time, all I could think of was how everyone who makes sacrifises and lives to support others just end up dying and being forgotten by everyone. It was an emotional roller coaster, really. My mother is fine, by the way. She had a surgery that went awry, but she survived.

However, looking at it now, it doesn't matter. For me, this game was amazing. Not just for Stryker, but overall, AMAZING! I dedicated my entire summer to it, and now that I'm back in class and playing other games, I still find myself visiting it.

And this was the best rendition of Stryker ever. This is how I percieved Stryker. This is the character I so strongly support.

I have no expectations of ever seeing him again. Zero. I believe he's dead for good at this point. I think everyone who died will be revived, except him. I have plenty of video game characters who I am a HUGE fan of who I will probably never see in another video game again. And I have plenty of reasons to keep playing MK other than Stryker, as he isn't the only reason I play this game. I'm very happy with what they did with him, and I feel that I don't NEED to see him in every MK game after this. Would I love for him to be in future games? Hell yes. I'd love for him to be in the next one. I'd love to see him in a spin-off game. I'd love to see him, period.

But I can't put my hopes up. At this point, it's time to just state my fandom and move on.

Stryker is my favorite Mortal Kombat character. That will never change. He is a childhood hero and someone I wish I could be as an adult. If you hate him, I'd wish you didn't, but I can't exactly change your mind. Regardless, I've had a good time, Stryker.

Sayonara.
keyara412
09/09/2011 08:46 AM (UTC)
I also enjoyed Stryker this time around. I guess 3 is his lucky number; like they say third time's a charm.

ok....so she's not a good example....but anyway

He made his first appearance in MK3..... after being cut twice prior

and also his 3rd time being in a game was his best.

Aaahhh.....the power of 3

His first appearance was kind of disappointing...and I almost NEVER selected him in that game.

It wasn't just because of his looks though (but they didn't help either...something about his chubby appearance just wasn't working for me) but also his gameplay just wasn't anything spectacular in comparison to the rest of the cast; and I too was skeptical of a guy bringing guns to a knife fight *so to speak*.

But I eventually got over that.....
in Armageddon I felt he was improved but something was still missing. I'm not sure what it was

but i guess to be fair i can say that i was somewhat satisfied with how he turned out in that game. He had improved moves and was also depicted better *glad they made him leaner*, but something still just wasn't complete about him.

However, In MK9 he is at his best; his moves, his attitude, his voice, his look.....all at their peak. He was an underdog but has made a significant comeback and I'm glad he finally got the treatment he needed to be a badass. I'm not sure if we'll see him in the next game or not, but I'd be more than happy if he returned as long as NRS doesn't take something good and mess it up. ...nice post Garlador, I enjoy your character discussions *and might I suggest you do Reptile next?*
grin
Icy_X
09/09/2011 08:57 AM (UTC)
I still don't like stryker in mk3. Mka is whatever.... but with mk9 I like the character of stryker a lot more for some reason. Haven't used him hardly at all so Idk how I really like him but he does have my favorite xray move.
ShadowPreacher
09/09/2011 02:02 PM (UTC)
I enjoy these threads Garlador. But I just want to point out that the "Stryker" originally planned for MK1 was a black special forces agent who was after Kano. In other words, he was Jax with a different name. The name Kurtis Stryker was kept in the reserve pile till they used it on the cop from MK3 we all know and love...or not.

Anyway, I might be biased because I always liked Stryker. (He was a great troll character to use on your friends in MK3.) But it's funny how NOW so many people love the guy when basically all they did different with him in MK9 was flip his hat around. I mean seriously, he's in practically the same god damn outfit he always was. It reminds me of that old Simpsons episode with the Malibu Stacy dolls. "But he's got a new hat!" Only this is even siller because it's the same hat. It was Armageddon where they tried to re-design him to look "cool" and he looked awful in that game. They were just trying way to hard and the character ended up unrecognizable (and ugly as fuck!).

Now, I know a lot of you will say "but oh no! They fleshed him out now! He's so cool and has great lines and doesn't take anyone's shit!" That's because NO ONE had lines or got any characterization in the old games except shitty text bios and endings. There is absolutely nothing in MK9 that contradicts how he was originally intended to be in MK3.

If you wanna talk out of nowhere character re-imaginings....now how about Kabal as his buddy and partner? You think "ex-Black Dragon" looked good on his resume when applying for the academy? Jeez...and people complain about Mileena's "slightly" changed backstory and yet I never hear a mention of this. MK fans, I tell ya....
ShadowPreacher
09/09/2011 02:07 PM (UTC)
Oh...and here's a little flub I noticed in story mode. After Nightwolf gives him the crib notes version of what's goin on, Stryker tells him "Earthrealm defender is way above my pay grade."

Problem is, the term "Earthrealm" implies the existence of other "realms" and Stryker shouldn't know anything about that at this point. Sloppy....and the dialogue in story mode is usually pretty good even if your mileage may vary on the story itself.
Icebaby
09/09/2011 02:09 PM (UTC)
*Looks to the left*

*Looks to the right*

*Takes a deep breath*

IT'S FUCKING STRYKER MAN!!!!

*Wipes sweat away on the forehead and smiles*
Insider2000
About Me

09/09/2011 04:08 PM (UTC)

If you wanna talk out of nowhere character re-imaginings....now how about Kabal as his buddy and partner? You think "ex-Black Dragon" looked good on his resume when applying for the academy? Jeez...and people complain about Mileena's "slightly" changed backstory and yet I never hear a mention of this. MK fans, I tell ya....

Well, there ARE two possibilities.
a) His life of being a Black Dragon was never really revealed to the academy, and his being living his police life keeping his past a secret and living entirely to redeem himself for his sake. (This is what I think is going down).

b) He came out wishing to reform, and SOMEONE vouched for him (possibly Stryker or someone higher up). He may have given away some secrets about the Black Dragon in hopes of proving his removal from that group. However, it could also be implied that whoever is vouching for him (Stryker, someone higher up) is also keeping it a secret. If it IS Stryker he vouched for him to join the academy, their friendship and connection could much stronger than we all imagined.

Kabal's characterization isn't that obscure. It's pretty similar to Kabal's ending in MK3, where he ultimately sought to become a defender of Earthrealm and/or fight injustice. This characterization has always existed with Kabal. It was Deception that suddenly made him rejoin the Black Dragon for no reason.

And comparing Kabal to Mileena is huge. At least there existed an emotion that he'd want to stop injustice despite his past in MK3.

Mileena?

She turns from a jealous, angry viper, begging for her father's love, which even after Kitana turns him away, he never returns that love to Mileena, who does the most horrible atrocities just so her father could love her the same way he loved Kitana......

and then is turned into this...

ShadowPreacher
09/09/2011 05:02 PM (UTC)
"She turns from a jealous, angry viper, begging for her father's love, which even after Kitana turns him away, he never returns that love to Mileena, who does the most horrible atrocities just so her father could love her the same way he loved Kitana......"

Um....no. Sorry buddy, but not one word of this was ever uttered in any of the old games. It's complete fanfiction that people have chose to extract from some shitty text endings or from the Malibu Kitana vs Mileena comic.

Which don't get me wrong, I thought was a *good* comic...but it's still about as canon as Goro with a chaingun.
Garlador
09/09/2011 06:32 PM (UTC)
Insider2000 Wrote:
Mileena?
She turns from a jealous, angry viper, begging for her father's love, which even after Kitana turns him away, he never returns that love to Mileena, who does the most horrible atrocities just so her father could love her the same way he loved Kitana......
and then is turned into this...

ShadowPreacher Wrote:
Um....no. Sorry buddy, but not one word of this was ever uttered in any of the old games. It's complete fanfiction that people have chose to extract from some shitty text endings or from the Malibu Kitana vs Mileena comic.
Which don't get me wrong, I thought was a *good* comic...but it's still about as canon as Goro with a chaingun.

Hey! I already did Mileena! You can talk about her hilariously baby-ification in this thread: Mileena KOTW

THIS week, we're talking about the great and wonderful boy in blue, Stryker. It's sort of in the tagline of the thread. So... let's hear some thoughts on HIM.
Insider2000
About Me

09/09/2011 08:01 PM (UTC)
Sorry. I did give an essay on him.

Unless, you want me to start talking about...OTHER things about him.

wink

*AHEM*

But very good post, Garador. Love your stuff, as always.
Garlador
09/09/2011 08:10 PM (UTC)
Insider2000 Wrote:
wink
*AHEM*

I WAS going to mention Stryker's rather impressive glutes.

I figured it was too obvious to merit a mention.
daryui
About Me
09/09/2011 08:13 PM (UTC)
The only looks for Stryker I like are his MK Armageddon costumes. Any other look, is meh.

Not to mention, there was no way he could[should]'ve beaten Ermac.

I bet Stryker's fans thought his portrayal was decent. tongue
Espio872
09/09/2011 09:10 PM (UTC)
Oh my word, I was pleasantly surprised to see your character choice this week, Garlador. I always say this, but as per usual, great read.

I'm sure everybody at this point knows how I feel about everyone's favorite cop.

Not to get too into, but I latched onto Stryker during the MK3 era, I loved his attitude, guns, grenades etc. I had zero problem with his look, he was a bigger guy, so what? He was fun to play as, cool specials, higher up on the tier list and just all around cool look.

I also aspire to be a Law Enforcement officer, which really makes me click with Stryker's character.

I'm going to be honest, after MKTrilogy, everytime they announced a new Mortal Kombat game, I kept watching and listening to hear the confirmation that Stryker would be returning, MK4 rolled aorund and the case was drastically reduced, I was like, "well he's just taking a short break, he'll be back later."

Boy was a wrong, I didn't realize how hated he was until around Deadly Alliance and I was pretty mad, in my mind my favorite character was never going to return again because he wasn't liked by many, then Deception came along and they said, "hey we're bringing back a ton of classics. the likes of Jade, Ermac, Kabal, Sindel" and as I heard these names I was like, OMG sweet, Stryker and Sheeva must be coming too since there's a lot of MKTrilogy people returning, nope once again denied.

Armageddon came along and FINALLY Stryker shows up again, not saying much though considering everyone and their mother showed up, but like every character in that game, he was lackluster, disappointing costume, copy paste fighting style and it really upset me because after that game I said, "that's the last nail in the coffin, he's done in future games"

Now MK2011, as a Stryker fan, this was his homecoming, my brother laughed so hard at me when I found out Stryker was confirmed, I was so hyped and happy to see him not only return, but return looking like his old MK3 self, but leaner and with cooler details to his costume, his confirmation was him getting slapped around, but guess how many damns I gave? ZERO because my guy was back, hell yeah!!

I knew once he was confirmed, I was going to main him, but when they finally had that long stream where they showed Stryker's gameplay, win pose, and X-ray I was like dayumm, Stryker, you just turned the bad ass meter all the way to 1000!

I was so hyped for the MK3 portion of story and when I saw how superbly he was crafted I said, finally Stryker's here to stay, with such great development and newfound fans, they gotta have more great things planned for him......once again wrong lol.

I initially thought only Nightwolf, Liu Kang, and Kitana, died and this was because someone spoil that much for me, little did I know that was just the top of the iceberg.

All of Stryker's great development thrown into the gutter, like Jade's and Smoke's newfound unique looks, gameplay, and development by a punch in the face no less. I was pissed as hell for several hours after watching that cutscene, I felt cheated, make haters like him and his current diehard fans so elated they cannot wait to see what he does next, then kill him in one of the most lame ways imaginable.

I dunno what the future holds for Stryker, I've always loved the series, but I'm not going to lie, he's going to probably be gone like most of my favorites until the next "Mortal Kombat familiy reunion game"

I'll play the future games and probably love them too, but my enthusiasm isn't going to be nearly as high as it was for this game, which has about as perfect a roster as you can imagine.

If this is Stryker's last swan song, it was a fun ride and I'll be playing this MK for years to come, but I suspect he'll be put to use in the next game, generic zombie style.....

I'm really, really hoping Stryker acquired enough new fans to insure his return before the next reunion game, he deserves it.
daryui Wrote:
The only looks for Stryker I like are his MK Armageddon costumes. Any other look, is meh.

It happened in Story mode, which means it's canon, in a nutshellwink

If his fans liked his portrayal, it means they did a great job.
Shadaloo
About Me
MK Khronology: 58.49% complete...
09/09/2011 09:27 PM (UTC)
I've never hated the guy. Closest I've come is indifference in the old days. I knew even then he'd get another chance at some point. He seemed...unfinished. A vision not entirely realized, even then.

I've always wondered whether a huge reason for his unpopularity wasn't also the fact that his battle stance really looked like he was rubbing his belly. People probably saw that and thought "Donuts?"

I'm obsessed with arguably shitty characters; the perfectionist in me is really happy when they bring someone back and overhaul them. I may not be able to stand Jarek or Chameleon, but you'll hear me applaud first when they finally get them right, and I'm glad they at least tried. It's marvelous that Stryker got not one, but two chances at greatness, and we finally are privileged to get what I'm sure will be the definitive version.

Really thought his number was up after MKA. He looked like a scuba diver sans helmet, and his one shining moment was him smacking Mileena upside the head and making a break for it up the pyramid. Had it not been for that moment, I'm not sure I would have cared much if he hadn't returned for this game. I think they had an idea of where they wanted to go with him, even then.

He exudes a level of badassery in this game second only to Nightwolf.

It goes for Smoke and it goes for Stryker; they were fistfuls of sheer potential that were completely wasted. Nightwolf got a magnificent exit however - I can't say he was wasted at all.

And I want all three of them back for the next go-around; the first two because it feels like there is so much more they can do. and the latter because it really feels like NW is a major player now. This game did them justice; something they've long since deserved.

Stryker versus Orderrealm. Perversion of what Stryker sees as justice and law? The ideal area for him to put his tools to use? Make it happen, NRS. That little nod in Deception was just that, but Orderrealm can and should be in his future, one way or another.
Jaded-Raven
09/09/2011 09:41 PM (UTC)
Garlador Wrote:
Insider2000 Wrote:
wink
*AHEM*

Dat ass!
Espio872
09/09/2011 09:44 PM (UTC)
^^^ Darn beat me to it^tongue
Insider2000
About Me

09/10/2011 07:33 AM (UTC)
Garlador Wrote:
Insider2000 Wrote:
wink
*AHEM*

I'm glad you didn't. XD Too easy and obvious.

I will admit, though, that MK3 Sub-Zero is giving him a run for his money in the ass department.

Stryker's still my man, though.

daryui Wrote:

Sonya beat Bi-Han.
Smoke beat Shang Tsung and Reptile at the same time.
Smoke beats Kitana, but then Kitana beats BOTH Smoke and Johnny Cage at the same time.
Kabal beat both Mileena and Noob Saibot at the same time.
Cyber Sub-Zero beat both Goro and Kintaro at the same time.

Story mode was made of fights that didn't make sense. They were just convenient for the sake of gameplay. Also, I don't think Ermac is as strong as everyone makes him out to be.

And yes, I do think Stryker's portrayal was decent. He was exactly how I imagined him as a kid. I just don't like his fate in the story.
Nephrite
09/10/2011 11:24 AM (UTC)
MK2011's Stryker is pure win and I want him back!

Between military/police characters (Sonya, Jax & Stryker), Stryker is by far the most impressive in MK2011 (especially in the costume department). If it were up to me, I'd keep Stryker around and put those two in retirement, it's been long overdue imo. One "police/military" character is enough for me and Stryker is the man of my choice.
kissmemileena
09/10/2011 12:04 PM (UTC)
I've heard mention that Stryker's greater appeal is the fact that he has no "super powers" and everything he does could actually be performed by you yourself if you ever existed in the MK setting. Very Batman except about the massive independant wealth, the genius IQ and the insane vengeance motives.
I would deny this no special stuff idea. His gun is clearly magic! If someone trained in the use of firearms double tap'd me I'd expect to be dead. I really wouldn't expect him to have to shoot me 12 times in a similar style before I finally keeled over. Only explaination... his gun is magic.
mkwhopper
09/10/2011 04:35 PM (UTC)
daryui Wrote:

It happened in Story Mode, so it's canon to an extent. His Armageddon Costume sucked dick. This portrayal is decent

Anyways, Garlador, thanks for these really good threads smile
queve
09/10/2011 04:51 PM (UTC)
Awesome, as usual.

I'll bet back to this one asap. Good job Garlador!
Espio872
09/10/2011 05:00 PM (UTC)
Not going to derail this glorious thread, but Sonya beating Bi-Han is not an outrageous notion, she's one of the strongest warriors in the world, she's not some weakling. Not to mention, it was never established that Sonya was weaker than Bi-Han or Bi-Han was stronger, only thing established was Liu Kang was the strongest and champion, defeating Goro and Shang Tsung.

Back on topic, I agree with Shadaloo, I think that's the perfect course of action for Stryker to take, I want to see him struggle with Order realm's notions of justice, I wouldn't also mind seeing his views of order turned upside down by Chaosrealm too. If they're not going to keep Stryker as a prominent hero and as more of a side character, that's going to be his most intriguing character path.
Pages: 2
Download on the App StoreGet it on Google Play
© 1998-2024 Shadow Knight Media, LLC. All rights reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Mortal Kombat, the dragon logo and all character names are trademarks and copyright of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.