:G-play

:Story

:F-Design

:Cutout

:Get Sig

:Raiden

:Fans [1] [2]

:#LegendaryArts

Many of you know I like to talk about the renders, and what they might translate to in-game. You should also know, that I liked the overall designs of all the renders so far. Scorpion, Sub-Zero, and the Batman designs(graphics need a little help though, iMo). Although I like the way they did Sonya from the screen shots and the reports so far, we'll have to wait for the render to really see.

What also made me wonder, is this news, or rumor that characters are going to have something like six special moves, and that gameplay would be kinda dependant on them...to some extent.

So anyway, I started wondering about Raiden, and also note, that it looks like they're being allowed to take little liberties with the DC characters(The Flashs' gloves, Batmans padding technique ect...), and for the MK characters, looks like they're mixing all their "versions" together (Scorpion, mainly) to some extent.

Well then I thought about Raidens versions....he's been "Light Raiden", and looked a few different ways. Then, he's been "Dark Raiden", and looked a couple ways while in the darker costumes.

SOoo, assuming that they'll include him in the game(Which is very likely, considering iconic characters), the Question is,

What do you think he's gonna look like? What do you think he should look like? As well as some of the other supposed shoe-in characters? And what moves would positively influence their gameplay?

================================---------------------------------->>>>
Here's my take on Raiden first, since that's my favorite character:

A. Something like this FanArt by BiggCaz would be extremely cool I think. AND it would consider his old, MK1 look, as well as his new, MKDA-A Alt looks. The longer hair under the classic MK1 hat, and the more muscular physique is key. Seeing as how they've toned down the bulky look that was in the last 3 games, I think this look is highly possible.
smile

One thing I wouldn't be fond of, is if showing his feet was done with this type of concept. I mean, unless it really worked well. But I prefer the wrapped shoe of MKSM Raiden or MK1 to computer generated bare feet any-day, and I think it would work better if they did something like this concept, with the hat & the longer hair. The hat has enough notoriety to identify him right off I think.

There's not many characters in history that are as notable when wearing that hat as Raiden. lol!

======-----======

B. I also REALLY like these examples by JAX007//ScoprionBlaze

One, Two & of course, Three

======-----======

C. And lastly, this render that was performed by MKO's own Garlador is absolutely one of my favorites! He did a stellar job, in a very short amount of time. Makes it that much more worthy to marvel at for me.
=====-----=====

Those ^^ are all the wishful requests for Raiden in any MK game to come, the following, are more along the lines of what I could actually see making this game.

A. By Malkavian7515, is this one.

It's the very classic, MK1 look. I've always wondered what that would look like with new technology. That, and considering that they seem to be going with the "skin-tight costume" look in these latest games, I could see it happening easily.

Has no blue in the costume. Just the hat, and the classic black.and white costume. Love that costume. I think the textures, and definition would resemble what Scorpion + Flash currently look like in-game.

B. Pencils by bobbett

Raiden Concept

psychoheat(only colored it)

Raiden Concept

As you can see, this one takes on the MK2 look. Which, I think this one is a little more identifiable to the casual MK player than the MK1, or the MKDA-A versions.

His MK2 look quickly became a favorite of mine, because it was the absolute positive improvement coming from his MK1 costume. To have both of these in one game would be icying on the cake, and some ice-cream on the side for us Raiden fans. haha. We've never been so fortunate.

=========

So, there's what I think is most likely to actually make it into MKvsDC. I think that if they're looking for "iconic", they'll go with the pre-sacrifice looks. Kinda cancels out that new hat, and the Thor look(ugh, I hated that look until I got used to it. MKDA Raiden//"Thor" looked the best if they'd wanna do that again...)

==========------Little Stuff?--------===========

A. There's the issue of his hood underneath his hat.

That got a little silly in the latest three games iMo. I think they should probably go with the mask effect under his hood, the string (draw-string), or just go with the long white hair.

B. I mentioned my preference to shoes, over feet.

C. I don't think they're gonna be doing much with weapons, so the staff vs war hammer seems to be out of this discussion. Though, I wish that when they do include it again, that they'd make it look differently. Something having to do with his power over electricity.

Moves: The rumor is, that there will be about 6 per character so...

1. Electricity // Lighting throw: I preferred the MK1-T look of it. The way it sort of climbed off his arms looked fantastic back then. I don't like how they had it in the later games. Where he'd sorta "push" it out. That way worked, but it sorta sucked the way it looked iMo.

Instead, I think they should have him use his fingers more. Seems more practical to me. Should look effortless, but violent iMo. And to tame it, maybe a very very short charge is in order, in pretense to him actually throwing the lightning.

2. I don't think his Torpedo will be very effective. I mean, they tried it in these 3D games, and it didn't really bode well for me. It was usable, so don't get me wrong, but it just didn't seem worth the usage alot of the time to me.

I'll be for it if it's in....I'd just hope they'd get a little more creative with it. Make it faster, shorter distance....something.

3. Teleport? Same as the Torpedo really. Wasn't that beneficial unless I teleported, and did his electric throw in combination. If they included it, I'd be for it, but I'd like to see them make it look more like MKD's FMV, more than anything. The early games' version of his teleport looked really good too. Maybe if they made it into an assult? Teleport, followed by a lighting bolt from the sky or something? Then he reforms.

Other known moves that would be welcomed would be his 1 or 2 handed electric throws. Both were a nice touch, and were character specific. We need more of that, so I'd appreciate that returning for his throw.

New Moves:

Take note to the MKD intro.

4. Ground Shock he did on Shang Tsung.

5. Electric Shield.

Then, one totally new one, and a counter to Superman would be..

6. "The Eye(s) of Ra" ("Raiden") Get it?
Remember, we were all speculating that if Raiden was in MKSM, that maybe, juust maybe he'd be using his eyes to zap other characters with electricity. Sounded cool at the time to me...I wonder what that would look like?

Also, I still like UltimateRyu's Fatality concept...but it could also translate well into a special move.

For a Fatality, something having to do with a thunder clap would be nice, but seeing as how this is a T rated game, maybe just shocking them to death is all they can do. They might be able to do a fatality where, Raiden grabs them like in MK2, but instead of them radically showing a shocking, Raiden could just super-heat the character....and the opponent melts, and drops to the ground into a puddle of glowing super-heated mush.

idk how much they can get away with though.

=========================================================

Anywho, there's my take on Raiden. Let's hear yours...

Try to keep it close to characters that are most likely to make it, or to those that we know are already in the game, k?

==============EDIT=================

According to the most popular//iconic characters from each, we'll be discussing the following characters SO FAR:

MK:

1. Scorpion
2. Sub-Zero
3.Raiden**
4. Sonya
5. Liu Kang
6. Cage
7. Kitana & or Mileena**
8. Shang Tsung

DC:

1. Batman
2. Superman
3. Flash
4. Wonder Woman**
5. Green Lantern
6. Martian Manhunter
7. Catwoman
8. Darkseid

As we go along, we'll spend maybe a day or two(or I will consider how fruitful the current character in discussion is), then we'll move to the next character.

Feel free to make suggestions as to who the other "most popular//iconic characters are. BUT, for now, I'm using the stickied thread as a reference. 10 characters is not set in stone, so if we run out of characters, MK and DC have more that are up for discussion.

I just went with Raiden first because that's my favorite character. So let's start with him for a little while. I will edit the title of this thread when we change characters.

"Black" simply means that we're not talking about them, but they are the confirmed characters.

" ** " simply means that we've talked about that character, and that they are now open for comment from here on out. You can add your comments and idea about them, but they are not the character we are focusing on.

======================================================
------------------Fan Requested//Demand Per Character----------------------
======================================================

This sections is simply to supply a clearer look at what fans are asking for from the MKTeam. Enjoy.

In order that we've discussed them.

Raiden

ATTIRE:

1.) Main Primary Constume- Majority goes for MKDA Primary Raiden. ALL agree on "Light Raiden" for MKvs DC. Influence comes from MKSM.
I'd call it, a slightly "settled down" version of the MKDA Primary Raiden Costume. Or, a modified MKSM Raiden. Streamline him a little if you use the MKDA model as the base. Which, could be taken care of by the looks of the body builds of the males that we have seen so far. Try the old hat in different sizes, or "calm down" the MKDA-A one a little.

No cape if the driving force is MKSM Raiden.

2.) Main Alternate Costume- MK1 game//MKDA Alternate. Means he can have a hat on, but he should definitely be in black and white. Doesn't need the hat. Should come out looking like something that has a Heavy fan art influence on it, but familiar enough to his MKDA alt. Longer hair than MKDA-A whether hat or no hat. Doesn't matter on the hat for this costume if his hair is longer somehow(experiment with two small braids down the front, loose in the back or something), but try it with and without the hat to see what works best. NO toes! Go with the shoes, or the wraps from MKSM or MK1-Trilogy.

3.) Secondary Primary Costume- Full on MK1 Movie // MK Conquest T.V. Show. = No Hat, white//blue Robes and or vest, Wraps for his feet(glorified hobo, almost lol). No heavy belts or huge ropes. Fully Clothed, Classic MK1-2 stance. Maybe the gloves from MKDA alt.

4.) Secondary Alternate Costume- Full on fanart // MKSM = Hat, No hoodie(draw string to keep the hat on), Long-er white hair, shoes. Relaxed shirt, muscular build should partially show, MKDA alt costumes pants or something like it. black//white, black//white//blue, or black//white//blue with the metals(golds or silvers that he had on him) from MKDA alt

GAME PLAY, SPECIAL MOVES, & FATALITIES

1.) Lightning Throw- Lightning "climbs" all over him like in MK1. Lightning throw climbs off of him through his fingers. Effortless but Skillful.

2.) Torpedo- Experiement with a "teleporting torpedo", make it move faster, maybe shorter rage ect.

3.) Teleport- Experiement with a side steping teleport. Make it look like a mix between MK1-2, & MKD's fmv Teleport.

4.) Ground Shocker- Standing up?, then Site MKD's intro. But, could even work in Raidens wake-up//get-up game. To where, he can shock people when he's getting up off the ground. MKA's intro where Raiden shocks Shinnok is a good example.

5.) Electric Shield- Site MKD's intro. Defensive move.

6.) Lightning Bolt- Rain or Nightwolfs move should be Raiden's move.

7.) Electric Dash-

8.) MKD Throw-

9.) Electric Shockwave // ThunderClap- Stun move equal to Jax's ground pound where he'd hit the ground (or tap his staff on the ground). Or equal to his Lightning throw where he'd clap his hands instead of actually throwing lightning.

10.) Eye of Raiden // "Eye of Ra" Least desired move, but experiment with it. Could be a stun triggering a thunder cap, or another projectile, or a fatality

============================================ ----------------------------------------------- ============================================

1.) Head Popper- MK1 fatality matured. However that works in a T rated game.

2.) Shocking Death- MKDA re-visualized. It was perfect, just make it more brutal. More attention to how much electricity we see, how much detail paid to the victim ect.. However that translaes in a T rated game. Blows them up, or turns them to a very gross corpse.

3.) Super Heat Instead of like the Shocking death where they blow up, or turn to a crispy corpse, they turn into a gross blue pile of super heated mush and fall to the ground.

4.) Wrath of Raiden // Raiden Smite...or something to that effect- Something where he alters the weather. Maybe an uppercut waay up into the sky, then Raiden follows and triggers a lightning storm or something.

5.) Fatality 3- Something clever with his staff. Call lightning from the sky and round house kick it at the victim.

Wonder Woman

Kitana

Mileena

Green Lantern

Remonster
06/26/2008 05:11 AM (UTC)
Do we have to do what character you set up, or can we choose? Cause this threads a badass idea
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

What do you like? Hit the Toasty thumbs up on articles and forum posts for a quick response!
06/26/2008 05:12 AM (UTC)
I actually started working on ideas for the Scorpion look, as dicussed in whatever thread it was, but I wound up getting sufficiently distracted by ideas good enough to keep for myself. tongue

It's not a very visual reference, but playing around with some old Genesis games, I came up with a really stupid and vague and poorly thought-out analogy for what I'd like from designs.
I should probably explain myself, because the angle clearly isn't going to be obvious to everyone at first glance (of images following), but... I can't be bothered, so pork away!

Scorpion should be the Shinobi Joe to Sub-Zero's Ryu Hayabusa:

For that matter, how about a samurai Shokan? Booyah!
ThePredator151
About Me
The Ultimate Mortal Kombat Experience
- Lead Graphic Designer - Mortal Kombat Online -

06/26/2008 05:17 AM (UTC)
Remonster Wrote:
Do we have to do what character you set up, or can we choose? Cause this threads a badass idea

Hm..That's something I wanted to leave open. But if you guys want, we can go through a list of the known "most iconic characters" one by one and discuss them. Want to do it that way?

Here, Choose A or B:

A. Choose your own character at random.

B. I'll list the characters that are most popular, and we discuss them one by one for a day or so..

Mick-Lucifer Wrote:

Can't hot link the first picture, so we//I can't see it. I'm really interested in your take on this though.

Remonster
06/26/2008 05:30 AM (UTC)
A would be more organized. I say go with that.
Grimm
About Me

06/26/2008 06:05 AM (UTC)
Remonster Wrote:

A is the definition of a lack of organization. Go with B. This way everyone will be on the same topic at all times.

Basically on the topic of how Raiden will look in this game, I think they should completely do away with and forget about the whole "Dark Raiden" idea. Watching Raiden slowly progress to being evil is like watching Hitler slowly turn to Communism. Now I know Raiden wasn't becoming "evil" per-say, and that he was just trying to save Earth by all means necessary; but all means necessary went against everything he stood for up to that point.

I think Raiden's best look was his main DA outfit. The look of it completely defined him as a character. I know they will go with a new look for him, but I think they should run with that costume and work off of that.

As far as what you had put for his move list, I do agree with you about the idea of his Deception moves in the intro being utilized as actual moves in this game. Your idea of, "The Eye of Raiden" i'm not too sure about however. If they were to create a new move like that, I think they may want to take a page out of Raiden(same spelling, different sound) from Metal Gear Solid 4. I won't post anything here because it contains spoilers, but if you played the game, you know what I mean.

When it comes to a Fatality however, like you said I'm not sure how much they can get away with. Raiden's whole idea of grabbing the guy and shocking him until he explodes I feel has been beaten to death. Out of all of Raiden's Fatalities, I enjoy his Fatality from MK1 the most. Quick, very painful for those few seconds that the electricity is flowing through your head, and right to the point. However, I would hate for every MK character to just have recycled Fatalities.

So in the interest of originality, here is the first thing that comes to mind:

(This is going off the assumption that Raiden still has his staff)

Raiden holds his staff high in the air as a lightning bolt comes down and strikes it, sending a current through the staff. Raiden then thrusts his staff into the ground, sending the current through the ground. The victim is shocked and burned.

I feel that the idea of people always blowing up at the end of almost EVERY Fatality is one of the things that made MK a joke over the years. Explain to me why in MKD, after Li Mei punches the opponent a handful of times, they shake and explode. It was cool in MK3-MKT, but not in MKD.

Of course, like I said, I'm not sure how much they can get away with in this game. Now i'm sure that my idea will not be the Fatality in the game, but it's a nice idea to create speculation.

Great thread btw. Can't wait to see who you pick for your next character.
PapaRoachFan
06/26/2008 06:14 AM (UTC)
b
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

What do you like? Hit the Toasty thumbs up on articles and forum posts for a quick response!
06/26/2008 06:22 AM (UTC)
ThePredator151 Wrote:
Can't hot link the first picture, so we//I can't see it. I'm really interested in your take on this though.

Think I fixed it. I guess basically what it boils down to is a decked out elaborate ninja, versus a more stylized, slightly less conventional look.
If you tweak those styles for Scorpion and Sub-Zero, I guess that's something along the lines of what I'd like to see. Not necessarily as radically different, but in the vain of those asthetics.

Actually, if I were super-cool, I think right now I'd be making a custom version of Shinobi III to be Return of the Ninja Spectre, because that would be awesome to play (with story).

Grimm Wrote:
A is the definition of a lack of organization. Go with B. This way everyone will be on the same topic at all times.

Somebody wake me when Shujinko comes up so I can bitch about aloof, world weary masters!

EDIT: I was very happy with Raiden in MKDA.
ThePredator151
About Me

06/26/2008 09:16 AM (UTC)
Mick-Lucifer Wrote:
Think I fixed it.

Yea I can see everything now. I'll hold out on Scorpion and Sub-Zero til we get to them now that I've updated.

=================================---------------------
Grimm Wrote:
Basically on the topic of how Raiden will look in this game, I think they should completely do away with and forget about the whole "Dark Raiden" idea. Watching Raiden slowly progress to being evil is like watching Hitler slowly turn to Communism. Now I know Raiden wasn't becoming "evil" per-say, and that he was just trying to save Earth by all means necessary; but all means necessary went against everything he stood for up to that point.

Yea, as easy as it was for me to accept the transformation(I like to think that I got the message of "by any means necessary" right away. It was just a bit of mis-information on "what happened exactly". Still not rectified as a matter of fact...but I'll shy away from that in here.), I'd have to agree for this game. Dark Raiden wouldn't really be that recognizable to the casual MK player either, I think. Seems like they're considering that much in the designs so far though.

Grimm Wrote:
I think Raiden's best look was his main DA outfit. The look of it completely defined him as a character. I know they will go with a new look for him, but I think they should run with that costume and work off of that.

Agreed again. Although all the "gadgets", and actually, the gold had me thrown off for a second. I think that in the same vein, I liked what they did with his MKA look:

The silvers, and greys matched better iMo, and helped humanize his overall look again.

These looks made it seem more plausible that he could actually become a human, and fight in a contest with the rest of the mortals. The gold in the MKDA look made him seem waay to "high and mighty", and gave the sense that he should actually never be having active face to face relationships with the humans.

It's a quality that I appreciate about his earlier iterations. Cuz, even though his eyes were whited out, and the guy could control a godly power like electricity, the more humanized attributes of how he was dressed made him accessible.

The MKDA version of Raiden made it look like he was literally un-touchable, and if you actually landed a blow to him, aheh, he might break and fall into a million peices. But that I think can be contributed to technology at the time. Or, whatever feel they were going for overall with that game. I didn't appreciate that "glossy" thing they had going.

Grimm Wrote:
As far as what you had put for his move list, I do agree with you about the idea of his Deception moves in the intro being utilized as actual moves in this game. Your idea of, "The Eye of Raiden" i'm not too sure about however. If they were to create a new move like that, I think they may want to take a page out of Raiden(same spelling, different sound) from Metal Gear Solid 4. I won't post anything here because it contains spoilers, but if you played the game, you know what I mean.

Not a clue about the MGS4 thing, missed that game. I like MGS, it's just a secondary franchise for me.

Grimm Wrote:
When it comes to a Fatality however, like you said I'm not sure how much they can get away with. Raiden's whole idea of grabbing the guy and shocking him until he explodes I feel has been beaten to death. Out of all of Raiden's Fatalities, I enjoy his Fatality from MK1 the most. Quick, very painful for those few seconds that the electricity is flowing through your head, and right to the point. However, I would hate for every MK character to just have recycled Fatalities.

You know, his
MK1 Fatality has to be his most original one. I've thought about that one from time to time, and I've calculated a version of it that has more distance? To where, he does the same kind of maneuver, except the result is a little more dramatic. Just a quick stream of electricity across screen, then *boom*. That might work...But then again, how do you do that without exploding the head?

T rating Dilemma. Maybe they could focus the camera on Raiden, and let blood splash on-to screen if it's a distanced "fatality"? That way it wouldn't actually show the head explode.....it's a thought anyway.

==--==

It also brings to questions other effects that electricity causes. Namely the "crispened" victim. I couldn't wait to see what this new technology could do for an electrocution victim. Eyes bursting, and gushing blood, skin crackling and spewing puss. That humbling effect that comes from seeing what electricity is really capable of. How violent and vicious electricity really is.

Seeing the in-game graphics now, I'm sure it'd do something crazy to a character turning corpse. But that's why I bring up the "super-heat" idea. The technique would resemble something out of an anime the way they illustrate electricity.....The opponents body stays in-tact, glowing more and more with the occasional volt of electricity spurting out every now and then until the actual "body" becomes a disgustingly irrelevant, mushy-blue blob of a substance.

I figure if they're "pushing the T rating limits" this might be the best they could do without showing blood or whatever.

=====-----=====

His MKDA-A stuff was really gratifying for me (I was like FINALLY!! lol), but at the same time it felt too overdue to be really "new". Something I thought about around that time was also using his staff. But it involved a metal staff, and remember we had impaling in that game(or was it MKD)? Yea...shock the stick. But eh. I guess it'd be cool, but I let it go some time ago.

Grimm Wrote:
So in the interest of originality, here is the first thing that comes to mind:

(This is going off the assumption that Raiden still has his staff)

Raiden holds his staff high in the air as a lightning bolt comes down and strikes it, sending a current through the staff. Raiden then thrusts his staff into the ground, sending the current through the ground. The victim is shocked and burned.

Yep, I dig it. If they used one of the mini programs of the engine, for the environment in conjunction with some of the fatalities, they could make Raiden trigger rain (thunder storm or w/e) for this idea. Making it plausible that the opponent could be shocked to death in that situation. They would die, Raiden might enjoy it...

lol *shrugs*

Grimm Wrote:
I feel that the idea of people always blowing up at the end of almost EVERY Fatality is one of the things that made MK a joke over the years. Explain to me why in MKD, after Li Mei punches the opponent a handful of times, they shake and explode. It was cool in MK3-MKT, but not in MKD.

Of course, like I said, I'm not sure how much they can get away with in this game. Now i'm sure that my idea will not be the Fatality in the game, but it's a nice idea to create speculation.

Great thread btw. Can't wait to see who you pick for your next character.

Me too. Especially because they made it look worse over the years rather than better//more realistic. On top of that, like you said, they spread it around waay too much. It should make sense based on a characters powers and such, who has what ending effect. "Everybody can't rip a head off", for example. That's Lin Kuei, or even more specific than that, THAT's Sub-Zero's thing. Leave that like it is...please.

I think that since their breaking masks and stuff like that, and since we're gonna have a smaller roster, we should see more variety in the way these things end. I'm more concerned about the T rating limitations rather than them actually pulling some of this stuff off. I just DO NOT wanna see it looking like some of these other T rated "finishers".

I hate 'em with a passion because they seem so hollow in execution. I mean, break a neck or something geez lol. Beating the opponent "to a pulp" happens in everything out here now.

==--==

Just a last note, I think what motivates my taste in MKs characters is how simplicity can accomplish so much. Some of them can be designed more simplistically and it would add a nice variety to to the roster, and to the characters history of costumes. (somebody said that on MKO before, but I can't remember who)

How about on costume that is elaborate, and one costume that is simplistic? That'd work, right? Then, when coming to a new game, they could take note off what fans are sporting as to how to influence the next look of a character?

===================

Oh, and thanks, I'll try to keep "who we discuss next" random...

Remonster
06/26/2008 02:51 PM (UTC)
Grimm Wrote:
Remonster Wrote:

Oops, i meant to say B
XiahouDun84
06/26/2008 03:42 PM (UTC)
Kitana's an MK icon. She should be on the list.

As for Raiden, I don't have that much to say in regards to him. I'm sure he'll be in it, but I'm thinking since they're aiming for iconic value, I figure he'll appear in his "light" form since that's his most recognized appearance.
(this is one of the reasons why I hope this game is out-of-continuity, because I don't want the "dark" Raiden storyline to end so abruptly)

As for moves, I'm think we'll see the usual suspects...the Torpedo...Lightning Projectile...etc. If each character really is going to have six special moves like the magazine said, they'll probably have to think of new ones. I'm not really good at thinking up special moves though.
skorptile
06/26/2008 04:37 PM (UTC)
Well in case we're still talking about Raiden here I've got a couple things to say about him.

First off is the issue of his MK VS DC look. There is the main question. Will he stay in his corrupted darker form? Or will he revert back to the ways of good? You never know with Midway. They keep you guessing till the end. Anyways I would personally perfer to see him back in his light form for the upcoming addition to the MK series. To me this is just what Raiden is and should stay. I most perfered his classic MK2 outfit but I must say they did a good job on him in MK Deadly Alliance. Especially his altenate costume. He was great in MKSM as well however. As simple as his SM look was I loved it. So I would love to see a kind of mix and match of his MKDA and MKSM costumes if that makes any sense. So of course he would have the classic blue and white robe. Then he would have the trademark hat of course. I would definetly choose the MK2/MKSM hat though. I never liked the huge one. I would loose the cape for this game. We already have enough superheros to wear capes and Raiden doesn't really need one in my opinion. Then he would have a rope belt sort of like the one he had MKD intro. Not huge or anything though. They already made that mistake with Scorpion. Basicly it would be very similar to his MKSM costume with some changes here and there. This is just how I would have it however.

So we've got the primary down. Considering this game has alternate costumes (which I really hope ot does) I would give him something similar to his costume in Mortal Kombat the movie. Here he wore a long whiteish robe with no hat. I think it's perfect for a future costume. Then there is always the option of having his dark look as an alt which I would be fine with as well.

Now that his look is done I'll move on to his gameplay. I've noticed ever since first seeing the opening sequence of MKD Raiden has the ability to perform may different things. He shoots what looks like huge streams of electricity when in game he only shoots a little ball of it. He does this electric shield thing which I immediatly could see being a special move that could be excecuted like Shao Kahn's "Emperor's Shield" special move.
So then after zapping the shit out of Quan and Shang he makes this ball of electricity that explodes and kills them all! And that was only available as a Hara Kiri! A lot of those I think could make great specials if toned down a little. Here's what I would give him in the coming game.

1 - Lightning blast - Raiden shoots a stream of electricity at the opponent similar to in MKD's opening secuence.

2 - Lightning bolt - Raiden summons a lightning bolt from the heavens similar to Rain's or Nightwolf's lightning from above special attack.

3 - Lightning Shield - Raiden pulls up a shield made of lightning that can deflect projectiles and smash the opponent on his back.

4 - Teleport - Same as in previous titles

5 - Electric Shockwave - Raiden slams his fist into the ground and creates a shockwave of electricity similar to Jax's Ground Pound.

6 - Shocking Dash - Raiden slams his side into the opponent sending electrical charges through their body (This move is originally from MKDA but was cut from later titles to my dissapointment)

And then his regular shocking grasp move if they include grabs for this game. I know these moves will not be in but I would love to see some of them in future titles if not MK VS DC.

Also an important part of the game of course are the fatalities. It is a mystery what they might give give Raiden. Here are some of my Raiden fatalitie ideas. And yes I know that some of these would be too gory to be included in MK VS DC. I just wish they weren't...

Fatality 1 - Raiden grabs the opponent's head and raises his other hand above his head. A bolt of electricity comes down from the sky and enters his arm going through him into the head of the opponent. Pop! Off goes the head. Kind of a redo of Raiden's MK1 fatality which was probably my favorite of that game.

Fatality 2 - Raiden kicks the opponent on his back and summons a bolt of lightning from the heavens. The lightning bolt goes sraight through the opponent killing him/her instantly and leaves a hole through their chest.

I know I suck at coming up with fatality ideas but those were just 2 examples. Raiden could possibly have toned down versions of his electrocution fatality but that has been quite overused in earlier titles and I don't really want to see it back for that reason alone.

So anyways I apologise if I posted this all too late and we were already done with Raiden. If that's the case this should be deleted. But these are just some of my opinions of the God of Thunder and what I would like to see him be in MK VS DC.
ThePredator151
About Me

06/27/2008 01:29 AM (UTC)
XiahouDun84 Wrote:
Kitana's an MK icon. She should be on the list.

Added.

The rest I agree with. I think he should at least get some things accomplished before he returns "light" or is killed for good. Either would suffice so long as it makes sense and they give plenty of detail to everything. But of course I would prefer that he "return". Completely new look...ect

There's unlimited possibilities for any "natural element" character.

skorptile Wrote:
So I would love to see a kind of mix and match of his MKDA and MKSM costumes if that makes any sense. So of course he would have the classic blue and white robe. Then he would have the trademark hat of course. I would definetly choose the MK2/MKSM hat though. I never liked the huge one. I would loose the cape for this game. We already have enough superheros to wear capes and Raiden doesn't really need one in my opinion. Then he would have a rope belt sort of like the one he had MKD intro. Not huge or anything though. They already made that mistake with Scorpion. Basicly it would be very similar to his MKSM costume with some changes here and there. This is just how I would have it however.

You bring up some great points man. His MKSM look was such a great revamp of his MK2-MK4//G look, I was actually pretty disappointed that we couldn't play with him in MKSM. Now that I think about it, at first, I was kinda pissed off that they gave us that render of him, but didn't let us play with him. Loved that MKSM render though.

Also, I agree with loosing the cape for this game. But I think if they did that, he'd have to look waay more like his MK2/MKSM self more than anything else. Also, having the cape on him strongly suggests that he should be able to fly, and as much as I know that he can fly, him being a God character is enough to let that attribute go to some other character in game. Raiden doesn't need to fly, I'd say , just mention that he can in a character Profile or in a bio or something.

Anyway, this:

Was as elaborate as his costume needed to be back then. To be quite honest though, to see the MKSM version of him in action would probably suffice. Cuz we haven't really seen that in action yet. More like, we haven't been able to control that version of him, but It'd be totally acceptable.

skorptile Wrote:
So we've got the primary down. Considering this game has alternate costumes (which I really hope ot does) I would give him something similar to his costume in Mortal Kombat the movie. Here he wore a long whiteish robe with no hat. I think it's perfect for a future costume. Then there is always the option of having his dark look as an alt which I would be fine with as well.

Beautiful! I honestly, never really considered his movie costume after Chris Lambert. That would make a beautiful alternate....hell or primary if they wanted to revamp him. And that movie did well enough to work as far as notoriety is concerned too. Excellent stuff man. With or Without hat, both of those are versions of him that I hadn't thought about like that.

Thing that makes it so good is that, people always want to be able to play with, or do the things we see in the movies. To play with that version of Raiden would be awesome.

Less notable, but liked just as much (or more in some cases) is Jeff Meeks version of Raiden. In the Mortal Kombat Conquest Series.

Both are good choices in my opinion, and either would be great fan services to the character in-game.

skorptile Wrote:
1 - Lightning blast - Raiden shoots a stream of electricity at the opponent similar to in MKD's opening secuence.

2 - Lightning bolt - Raiden summons a lightning bolt from the heavens similar to Rain's or Nightwolf's lightning from above special attack.

3 - Lightning Shield - Raiden pulls up a shield made of lightning that can deflect projectiles and smash the opponent on his back.

4 - Teleport - Same as in previous titles

5 - Electric Shockwave - Raiden slams his fist into the ground and creates a shockwave of electricity similar to Jax's Ground Pound.

6 - Shocking Dash - Raiden slams his side into the opponent sending electrical charges through their body (This move is originally from MKDA but was cut from later titles to my dissapointment)

And then his regular shocking grasp move if they include grabs for this game. I know these moves will not be in but I would love to see some of them in future titles if not MK VS DC.

I agree will all of your moves, but I would like to propose a suggestion to #5 and see what you think about it.

What would you say if that move was a "thunder clap"? Like a stun move for Raiden instead? (He'd probably charge a little bit, add some little electricity effect to his hands, and he claps his hands. I'd see it as a distance move) When it "affects" the opponent, it could still have a visual effect of the result of being hit by lightning, but I'm thinking more, of a a visual effect put to the way thunder sounds. Like a violent *snap!* that stuns the opponent for a quick second...it's an idea anyway..

skorptile Wrote:
Fatality 1 - Raiden grabs the opponent's head and raises his other hand above his head. A bolt of electricity comes down from the sky and enters his arm going through him into the head of the opponent. Pop! Off goes the head. Kind of a redo of Raiden's MK1 fatality which was probably my favorite of that game.

Fatality 2 - Raiden kicks the opponent on his back and summons a bolt of lightning from the heavens. The lightning bolt goes sraight through the opponent killing him/her instantly and leaves a hole through their chest.

Both are very good, and I have nothing to add to them because they're good. But I think I prefer #2 over #1.

Thanks for the input man..

We'll be moving to the next character probably by the end of today.
Grimm
About Me

06/27/2008 02:43 AM (UTC)
What character will we be discussing next? I would like to give my input, and surprisingly have been looking forward to the next character you pick.
ThePredator151
About Me

06/27/2008 02:51 AM (UTC)
Yea, let's switch it now. Let's go with a woman, they're always under estimated too so....

Next up?: Wonder Woman

She's assumed in like Raiden is, but hasn't been confirmed. So staying in that vein of discussion, what are her possibilities? Looks, 6 Special Moves, maybe throw a little story perspective in there if you like.

I'll post up my stuff on her in a bit.
MINION
About Me
Groundbreaking Debut | You[Tube] | deviantART | Twitter
06/27/2008 02:54 AM (UTC)
For manhunter, I would like his "Modren Look" which is the all blue suit with the turtle neck. Best used on earth. And his "True Form" which is used during trips to mars and in the watch tower. I feel having these would make him complete.

Raiden, I would like to see him go back to his Light look, but keep the Darker version of him as an alt. If it's not in at all, thats fine. But i think both would please fans of both sides. Light and Dark.

Wonder Woman, i would like to see with the Whip. I have a feeling some good specials could come out of it. Jarek's Lasso Snatch comes to mind. I feel that it would be cool to have a glow on it. Just to reflect the immense power it has. But that's just my opinion.
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

06/27/2008 03:02 AM (UTC)
ThePredator151 Wrote:
Next up?: Wonder Woman

She's assumed in like Raiden is, but hasn't been confirmed. So staying in that vein of discussion, what are her possibilities? Looks, 6 Special Moves, maybe throw a little story perspective in there if you like.

Wonder Woman's appearance is always going to be pretty obvious. It's right up there with Superman in terms of flag-waving iconography.

Most comic fans will know her armored outfit which essentially takes the classic costume and retools it with an armored skirt, and some other plated pieces (sometimes a helmet-tiara combo).
I'd even suggest that for her primary appearance rather than wasting time with another one-piece bikini. Not only is the "warrior" outfit barely different, it's also just as recognisable to fans.

For an alt, I'd go the DK2 bikeshorts look, but I can't find scans... Just think a very Greek looking Wonder Woman (in features, not figure) with a sportier version of the classic outfit. I guess the bikini isn't my favourite crime fighting attire.
I quite like this Kingdom Come-esque skirt version, too. Not exactly utilitarian with the hi-cut skirt, but the style justifies it.

Oh, I suppose as an added footnote, I think it's important that Wonder Woman have a bit of height and muscle to her. Even though she does tend to be drawn very supermodel in most comics; she's an Amazon warrior and I feel she's at her best when depicted with a but of muscle and weight behind her.

Since Wonder Woman, these days, is essentially a female Superman, there's that remaining concern of irrelevance. The degree of difference for Wonder Woman is probably going to be rougher moves, so even specials as basic as a flying charge/dash, if not some sort of grapple, is going to offer more violent options.

The lasso of truth's obviously got a lot of potential for familiar moves (ie; Scorpion's spear), but you could probably come up with some fun stuff with that. Being considerably stronger than Scorpion, fans probably wouldn't have too much trouble envisioning some sort of throw move (180 toss in the rope).

What's probably most interesting about Wonder Woman is the recent news that characters deemed appropriate will have fatality finishers. Wonder Woman's been in the spotlight for killing not too long ago, and personally, I think she's got to be about the most prominent DC characters vying for that potential.

She twisted Maxwell Lord's head around on a 180, but a neck snap's probably a little pedestrian for Wonder Woman, and better handed off to one of the MK martial artists. If you followed the armoed link, you'll see the sword that's a pretty well associated weapon, offering not only options for a fatality, but also weapon specials, if that creeps up.

It'd be nice if her fighting style could have a bit of grappling in there too, as much as super powered punches (and kicks). She's a Greek Amazon! Throw a little grecco-roman in there!

I'm sure there'll be plenty more creative responses, but that's my two-cents from a perspective of relative familiarity. Maybe the basics will inspire genius!tongue
Icebaby
06/27/2008 03:10 AM (UTC)
I'm kinda of disappointed that this game isn't going to make the characters look like actors who played as them. Such as, Linda Carter as Wonder Woman. I was expecting Midway would do something like that as a media joke to all of us saying that "Hey, we could kick Chrisitan Bale's ass in this game, only he looks like Batman!"

But getting back on topic, I think Wonder Woman should just remain with the leiatard (I don;'t know how to spell that word) and that the lasso should stay on her for a more detalied look. Her wrist blades are probably going to play a key factor into the game, which means they should stand out more than anything else on her. Plus, the lasso should somehow glow with a golden color seeing how it's an important weapon she uses in the comics. Her hair should be somewhat landing in the middle of her back. And it should look like there's blue in her hair, but that's from the light relfecting. I'm picturing what she looks like in my mind and I can tell you that it's weird. I'm not sure if she should have whore boots or just regular ankle boots. (Where I'm at, we call any boots higher than your ankles Whore Boots, it's just something weird we Chicagans do) it's all got to depend on if she's really going to go with her original look, with seeing many pictures of Batman and Superman, I'm guessing that an original look is what we're going to be seeing more than any of her other costumes that she's worn over the years.
Grimm
About Me

06/27/2008 03:16 AM (UTC)
Well, it seems that the DC characters will basically just look like how you expect them to look. Batman looks like Batman, Superman looks like Superman, The Flash looks like The Flash, so I can't imagine it being much different with Wonder Woman.

When it comes to her six moves I would imagine they would be along the lines of:

Deflection - Any projectile or anything shot/thrown at her will be deflected by her bracers.

Lasso Throw - Wraps her lasso around the person and slams the opponent into the ground.

Lasso Whirl - Wraps her lasso around her opponent and pulls on in, sending the opponent spinning. (Same effect as Kabal's dash)

Tiara - Throws her tiara at the opponent. (Similar to Kitana's fan throw)

Gauntlet of Atlas - Improves her strength for a period of time. During this period of time she would be wearing her Golden armor with golden wings, war-skirt and chest plate, and a golden helmet shaped like an Eagle's head. (Her transformation into the new armor would look to the effect of Wario from SSBB at the end of this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nlPpuNEBrk)

Sandals of Hermes - A quick teleport to the other side of the opponent.

Since, as we stated previously, the game will be T rated, I think this is a very T rated Fatality. She wraps her Lasso around the opponent and the opponent struggles to get loose. The Lasso then starts to glow, and the opponent begins to panic. The opponent the tenses and becomes nearly stiff as they start to scream in pain as the power of the Lasso brings all their bad memories back to them all at once. The opponent then collapses to the ground.

I'm sure they could get away with that as a Fatality, and anyone who knows Wonder Woman knows the powers of her Lasso, so it is possible for that to happen.

As far as what Boon said about how the Heroes who didn't kill in the comic books probably won't kill in this game; I think that it would get old after a while if all the Super Heroes(not villains) just beat the hell out of the opponent for a Fatality, except all in different ways. It would get boring and eventually have sort of the same feel as MKA's Create-a-Fatality system.

rayden4u2335
06/27/2008 03:59 AM (UTC)
I never knew Wonderwoman wielded a battle-axe before lol
Deathbearer
06/27/2008 04:15 AM (UTC)
uh..idk...lasso thing?
XiahouDun84
06/27/2008 04:27 AM (UTC)
ATTIRE:
Primary- Obviously, you have to have Wonder Woman's classic trademark bathing suit. I think that's a given.

Alternate- For Wonder Woman, I would like to see the goofy "biker" outfit she wore when she was replaced by Artemis. It's such bizarre outfit for her to wear, that I can't help but like it. And when she wore it, is was such a sign of the times (the 90's)....so it's perfect for Mortal Kombat.
Here is another pic, without the jacket.

FIGHTING STYLE:
Since Wonder Woman is one of DC's actual martial artist characters, I think it should be reflected in her fighting style..depending on how they do it, of course. As opposed to, say Superman...whose fighting experience/training is the extent of a bar-room brawler...WW's fighting style should be more refined and traditional martial arts moves. In keeping with her character, I think she should also be quick & strong, but also elegant.

OVERALL GAMEPLAY:
In my opinion, Wonder Woman should be a good starter charcater. I believe this would suit her as...for those who don't know...in the comics, WW is extremely strong...but not THE strongest. She's extremely fast...but not THE fastest. She's one of the best fighters...but not THE best overall. And so on. Basically, she's not the best in any one area in paticular, but she's extremely good all-around. So I think that can be reflected in her gameplay by making her a good well-balance, all-around fighter.

SPECIAL MOVES:
1) Lasso Throw/Grab- Obviously, since the Lasso is one of Wonder Woman's trademarks, she should have some sort of attack where she ensares her opponent. They could do something similar to Jarek's lasso grab from Armageddon...although it'd be lame to recycle moves, yet again. If they do, I would only hope they make it faster and more effective, because IMO the moves was too slow and clunky in Armageddon. WW should be a quick character.

2) Tiara Throw- A good quick projectile move. Maybe they could do something fancier with it like having it ricochet somehow.

3) Bracelet Deflect- Another of Wonder Woman's trademarks is her bracelets. I think it'd be cool if she was able to deflect projectile attacks thrown at her with her bracelets. Would have to tricky to do in order to prevent it from being spammed, though.

4) Lasso Whip- Just a nice swift slash across her opponents' face with the Lasso.

5) something with her battle-axe..?

6) some kind of flying attack or dash- Just to give her one more move, maybe do something where she flies at the opponent and smashes them. I don't know.

FINISHING MOVES:
Well Fatalities have been confirmed, and Wonder Woman has killed. They probably won't give her an actual kill move...but for the hell of it:

Amazon Attack- She does her wonder spin into her eagle armor from Kingdom Come and just goes berserk with her sword and axe.

Max Lord Special- Already mentioned by Mick, they maybe have her snare her opponent in her lasso, then quickly and efficiently snap his/her neck while they're tied up.

STORY:
I'm not sure what to expect story-wise. To take a guess, either Shao Kahn & Darkseid form some kind of alliance or there will be some new uber-powerful evil that threatens both the MK universe & the DC universe....but either way, I really hope that Wonder Woman will play a distinct, individual part, rather than "Hey, there's this crazy world invading us...I must fight them."
Being a character with mythological/magic ties, who fights sorcerers, gods, and monster...also being a martial artist...I think from a story perspective Wonder Woman can potentially contribute something interesting.

If she gets paired off/with a Mortal Kombat counterpart...like how Batman seems to have Sub-Zero...I think Kitana fits that bill best.They share some similarities (both warrior princesses...both are stoic and even-tempered fighters....both show signs of slight superiority complex), and I think in essence, Kitana is more-or-less to Mortal Kombat what Wonder Woman is to DC. So maybe we'll see Wonder Woman interact with Kitana, which I would get a kick out of since they're two of my favorite characters.

I honestly don't have many ideas on storyline.
MINION
About Me
Groundbreaking Debut | You[Tube] | deviantART | Twitter
06/27/2008 04:50 AM (UTC)
nice stuff bro. ^^^
Grimm
About Me

06/27/2008 05:04 AM (UTC)
It's a little bit hard to speculate on story archs right now when we don't even know what the overall story of the game is. I see what you are trying to do though.
XiahouDun84
06/27/2008 05:21 AM (UTC)
Grimm Wrote:
It's a little bit hard to speculate on story archs right now when we don't even know what the overall story of the game is. I see what you are trying to do though.

True. Hard to think of anything without a sense of context or even knowing for certain who else is in. Hard to think of what Wonder Woman can contribute to the story when we don't know what the actual story is yet.
Or I could speculate a team-up type of story where Wonder Woman & Kitana meet up because Circe & Mileena have formed an alliance and hilarity ensues. But if neither Mileena nor Circe are even in the game...it all becomes moot.

But like I said, I just hope whatever she's doing in the story, it's something distinct and makes good use of her character.
Pages: 3
Download on the App StoreGet it on Google Play
© 1998-2024 Shadow Knight Media, LLC. All rights reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Mortal Kombat, the dragon logo and all character names are trademarks and copyright of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.