ThePredator151s - Big Raiden Thread ((Second Impressions))
posted03/17/2011 01:19 PM (UTC)by
ThePredator151
About Me
The Ultimate Mortal Kombat Experience
- Lead Graphic Designer - Mortal Kombat Online -

:G-play

:Story

:F-Design

:Cutout

:Get Sig

:Raiden

:Fans [1] [2]

:#LegendaryArts

Some Background Info / Intro

Everytime a new game is coming I seem to make one of these in some capacity...lol So it really wouldn't be right if I didn't do one for my favorite character Raiden, in what I think is the best looking MK game in years. I think I'm making this one a bit late in the campaign schedule according to when I usually do it but, I digress. Hopefully this thread will be received as well as some of the past ones.

In the past, the MKTeam/now NRS has absolutely referenced our input for Raiden and others from threads like these. MKvsDC is a very shinny example of this. Everything from what he's got on in that game, to the pose in his render is enough proof to convince me. We wrote it and delivered it to them...and they were considerate enough to actually make the adjustment for the games' marketing materials. I certainly do appreciate and enjoy the notion of it whether or not that's actually what they intended to do. I'd like this thread to serve as similar inspiration for them if they catch it and do anything with it.

==============

Instruction

I am really happy with what they've done with this game so far. But, noticeably... and understandably, Raiden has only seemed to have made cameo appearances so far. In this thread, I'd like to get your thoughts and opinions on stuff like:

• Primary costume
  • Alternate costume(s)
  • Gameplay Style
  • Special Moves
  • X-Ray Move
  • Fatalities

• Story Input

• Vignette Expectations
  • Arena if he gets one
  • Maybe you have an opinion on his Music track on the album
  • Appearance in the digital film, if you have an opinion here
  • Anything else you'd like to add

~Raiden~

Appearance

The ninjas seem to be getting 3 or 4 possible looks. 1 Primary, 1 In-Game Alt, and at least 1 DLC Retro Primary. In light of the fact that Raiden looks to have on his Retro look already, I want to see really different styles come from his Alt and DLC costumes.

Primary - I'm cool with what's there actually. They didn't take any real artistic liberties, it's quite boring to tell the truth, but it looks really good according to MK2011's MK1-Trilogy timeline. I accept this 100%.

Alternate 1 - His MKvsDC look was actually pretty interesting for me. The sleeveless thing tripped me out at first, but it was pleasant sort of uncertainty for me. To alter this, if they could lean a little harder on his MKDA - MKD [intro video] Primary costume, I think it will seem alot more complete as a Raiden Costume.

If they also take from MKSM Raiden, I'd suspect his pants would be the only logical choice. I also like his shoes from that model though. The point of this 1st alt should be more complex than the primary since that one is so basic looking. But I actually expect it to take alot from his MKvsDC look.

It should have the regal qualities of the Light Raidens MKDA-A period, without getting too gaudy and obsessive. That's the sort of thing I'm looking for from his in-game alt, or his 1st DLC primary.

Alternate 2 - I want them to go for something really cool with Raiden for once. I still like the idea of keeping the hat, letting his hair down, no head wrappings, primarily playing with his Thor looking alternate from MKDA.

End Result? Something like BigCaz's Tattoo FanArt.

This one looks like it would have to be simplified alot, taking most of it's influence from his MK1 look.

===============

I'll have to stop there for now. Your thoughts?

Bezou
About Me
02/23/2011 03:18 PM (UTC)
As much as I hate to say this, I liked Christopher Lambert as Raiden in the first MK movie. An alternate costume based on his look there would be pretty sweet.
jagro
About Me

02/23/2011 03:21 PM (UTC)
his deception alt was awesome. i wanna see that in some form (alt/dlc) and of course 'dark raiden' (probably dlc, as its not technically canon at this point)
ThePredator151
About Me

02/23/2011 03:50 PM (UTC)
Bezou Wrote:
As much as I hate to say this, I liked Christopher Lambert as Raiden in the first MK movie. An alternate costume based on his look there would be pretty sweet.

I've always liked the idea of taking some hints from that version of him and combining them with things from the past games. I figure, if we can get Trevor Goddard's whole head for Kano in the game, why not take some obvious things from the Christopher Lambert costume design?

Chris Lambert as Raiden 1
Chris Lambert as Raiden 2

That also kinda brings up Jeffery Meeks' look too. Although, I think that get's really close to the simplicity of the MKSM Raiden to suffice not even going there. idk.
Bezou
About Me
02/23/2011 04:00 PM (UTC)
I think it's clear that Raiden at some point needs an alt where he has long and loose hair. No topknots or braids or nothing.
Zmoke
02/23/2011 04:06 PM (UTC)
I would like too see Raiden's teleport rising back. I'm not quite satisfied with the MK2011 costume he wears now; his face for instance was better in MK/DC in my opinion. I don't want him to look too young.

One of Raiden's Fatalities could possibly include Kidd Thunder in it. It could be there for Mortal Kombat II fans but it wouldn't have to be comical this time. An enhanced special move for Raiden would be Torpedo/Superman but 3/4 wider - Raiden would fly in an electric cylinder. Raiden was one of my main characters I used in MK/DC, hopefully he will play well in MK2011 too.
Jaded-Raven
02/23/2011 04:07 PM (UTC)
Bezou Wrote:
I think it's clear that Raiden at some point needs an alt where he has long and loose hair. No topknots or braids or nothing.

Why is that clear? What do you base that on?

The dark samurai alt in MKD was my favourite of all his looks, and I do like his new look as well. I like the simplicity that is his outfit in the earlier games, and the more detailed version of his outfit represents his revered self as an Elder God. Just a theory, and I believe it might be Razor who mentioned this some time ago.

Just for fun, I'd like to see all the characters have an alternate outfit that is remniscent of the movie costumes, like Christopher Lambert's Raiden outfit.
TheBigCityToilet
02/23/2011 04:17 PM (UTC)
I want them to go all out with electrical powers this time.

Shooting lightning isn't all a guy can do...what about using static to make people slow and clunky to control?

Or using a pulse like a stun grenade?

Or an electromagnetic shield to deflect projectiles?

They need to play Infamous, or read Marvel Comics
Bezou
About Me
02/23/2011 04:19 PM (UTC)
I base that on the consensus that Predator and I reached. I only need one person to agree before I consider a matter closed.

Actually, just between us, I don't even need one person to agree.

grin

I think Raiden's increasingly more complicated costumes stem from NRS' seeming inability to realize that simplicity works.
Jaded-Raven
02/23/2011 04:22 PM (UTC)
Bezou Wrote:
I base that on the consensus that Predator and I reached. I only need one person to agree before I consider a matter closed.

Actually, just between us, I don't even need one person to agree.

grin

I think Raiden's increasingly more complicated costumes stem from NRS' seeming inability to realize that simplicity works.

Yeah, you shouldn't need anyone to agree with you. If that is your opinion, you should stick to it.

However, I disagree with your last statement. Many of the new outfits are rather simple-looking, especially Raiden's new outfit. Kitana's outfit is rather simple as well and it works for her, in my opinion. I don't like Scorpion's outfit due to the overflow of details though, but that's just one outfit out of many.
unseenwombat
02/23/2011 04:28 PM (UTC)
I think it would be cool, in raiden's x-ray, to show him electrocuting the victim and showing their heart speeding up/fibrillating/whatever.

I like the movie/tv look for raiden too. He doesn't need a ponytail.
CageFan21
02/23/2011 04:55 PM (UTC)
I like Raiden's look for now, but he shouldn't look too young, remember he's a god, god of thunder and lightning 2 b exact, and gods are ageless, in other words don't get old, so the people in NRS shouldn't give the fans an impression of having a young and older Raiden. Better having the idea of a Raiden from the past during the events from MK1 and a Raiden from the future during Armaggeddon. But as I repeat not having an older and a younger Raiden, cuz Gods R Ageless! If you read the comic that came with the MK1 game for home versions back in the 90's you can clearly read in Raidens Bio that his age says ETERNAL. Meaning he doesn't ages.glassesglasses
CageFan21
02/23/2011 05:13 PM (UTC)
One of Raiden's best looks that I liked are his MKDA primary and his MK vs. DC Universe looks. I disliked his MKD Dark Raiden look, come on people we aren't playing Street Fighter here (Evil Ryu) Now regarding an ALT or DLC, I would like to see Raiden with a look inspired in Chris Lambert's Raiden in the MK1 movie, always with his distinctive hat on, but with his white hair hanging on. No ponytails or other similar things. Just having his white long hair hanging by his shoulders with his hat on. That would be great! If they made that with Kano back in MKDA inspired by Trevor Goddardks look, why not do the same with Chris Lambert & Raiden IMo. glasses
ThePredator151
About Me

02/24/2011 07:25 AM (UTC)
I'm in agreement with those who liked his older looking face in MKvsDC. If i remember right, that's one of the first things I talked about and took to when we first saw that render.

As far as that Thor looking alternate goes.. I couldn't agree more that a silly bun thingy would just look silly on him. So please, no tie-ups or anything. I'd rather them experiment with braids like JAX007 did a long time ago.

To wrap up his appearance stuff, here's a small compilation of Raiden FanArt that I have acquired over the years up til now. If you have anything to add please do.

JAX007 // ScorpionBlaze: (Pencils)

1. Dark Raiden Sketch

2.Raiden Concept

3. Raiden Concept 2

UdonCrew

4. Raiden Card

BiggCaZ

5. Raiden Tatto Design

psychoheat (only colored it)

6. Raiden Concept

theswitcher (Also has submitted art on MkO btw)

7. Raiden Concept w/Hat

8. Raiden Concept w/o Hat

9. Vincent Proce

Raiden

10. EmperorKahn

Raiden Concept

11. Garlador

Raiden Rendor

12. Don't remember who did these or where they came from. I didn't mark the stuff down like I normally would have when I ran into them:

Raiden Fantart 01
Raiden MK2 Fatality Fanart?
Raiden by: Salvation Series
"MK Legacy Lord Rayden"

That's all I'm gonna post for links on his looks for now. I'd like to move to the other aspects of his character next.
MadameBordella
About Me
Aw yeah, new MK!
02/24/2011 07:31 AM (UTC)
ThePredator151 Wrote:
:Links for a bunch of cool art stuffs.

Nifty! I like looking at other artwork!

*clicks deviantART links*

Oh noes, they're broken! sad
ThePredator151
About Me

02/24/2011 07:33 AM (UTC)
Yea... Some of them are. I'm fixing them, or taking them out now.
RedVirtue
02/24/2011 07:34 AM (UTC)
Bezou Wrote:

Ditto. I mean look at Scorpion, his costume is much busier then it needs to be. grin I think the classic DLC costumes for half the character's their announced for so far are an improvement from the "new" costumes. Now that's sad stuff. confused
EmperorKahn
02/24/2011 07:36 AM (UTC)
Bezou
About Me
02/24/2011 07:39 AM (UTC)
It's a little busy for my tastes. But I would be happy to see Raiden in a white bathrobe so my opinion is suspect at best.
MadameBordella
About Me
Aw yeah, new MK!
02/24/2011 07:46 AM (UTC)
Bezou Wrote:
It's a little busy for my tastes. But I would be happy to see Raiden in a white bathrobe so my opinion is suspect at best.

Would it be a nice, fluffy one with slippers to match?

grin
EmperorKahn
02/24/2011 07:46 AM (UTC)
I do like raiden's look in this new mk its like an updated version of his mk4 outfit.
ThePredator151
About Me

02/24/2011 07:59 AM (UTC)
EmperorKahn Wrote:
What do you think about my raiden drawing?
http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2011/054/1/9/raiden_mk_by_soysaurus1-d2y8idj.jpg

Added you to the list. I think you should draw cartoons. It looks really good in the sense of a cartoon series. I like it.

Oup! Almost forgot one of my favorites from this site.. Check the list again in a minute for Garladors interpretation of Raiden.
Spaceman
02/24/2011 08:19 AM (UTC)
Nice thread, Raiden doesn't get enough love. I like his MKvsDC costume although I kinda prefer him with sleeves, but my favorite was his dark Raiden look. I always felt that was a cool direction for his story to go especially because i miss the kinda neutral (possibly even evil) badass Raiden from MK1. I'm worried his whole 'protector' of earth realm and leader of the good guys thing is gonna get a tad bit stale. I'd hate to see his story get as bland and predictable as Liu Kang's. I mean why is a God so compassionate towards the lives of mortals anyway?

That being said I can't fuckin wait to see Raiden's X-ray move. Forget Sub Zero, or Goro, I bet Raiden has the most brutal x-ray move hands down.
RazorsEdge701
02/24/2011 08:45 AM (UTC)
I think one of my biggest disappointments when the games went 3D is the way Raiden stands up when he gets knocked down like everybody else. He always used to teleport to his feet, every single time. It really made him stand out from the rest of the cast and seem like the god he is.

I hope that they bring that back, or at the very least the game has custom wake-ups between rounds like Deception and Armageddon did, and that's his. The fact that all the ones we've seen so far were the generic ones from MKvsDCU rather annoys me.

As for costume, I'm very happy with the one he's already seen wearing in the renders, especially now that we've seen the side of his arms on the t-shirt and can tell the yellow kanji circle is still there like it was in MK2. (though there seem to be two versions, one where his black undershirt is a wrapped up robe like usual and one where it's buttoned down the middle. I wonder which is actually in the game.)

Raiden's moves are all classic, I can't really think of anything new or different I'd want to see him doing, or what his X-Ray should be like...unless...if they could work his quarterstaff in, that'd be what I'm most concerned with. Him walking around with the big staff's been a character trademark since MK3, I hope it's somewhere in the game.

Raiden's always had weak fatalities. The only one I ever liked was the SNES version of his MK1 one. An exploding head is generic. Reducing someone to a pile of dust with a skull sitting in it is badass. I hope they give him something similar to his MK4 or DA finishers where the electrocution looks very visually spectacular and the body blackens to a crisp. Raiden'll be a nice change of pace from all the cutting limbs off everyone else does.
JinCA
02/24/2011 08:51 AM (UTC)
His face in MKvDCU was fine but the "outfit" sucked IMO, short sleeves and a cape? they tried to bulk it up with the shoulder pads/guards on his arms and all that but it just looked wrong. Raiden should have long sleeves always IMO unless they are using a shirtless alternate. As far as his moves, I really hope his projectile looks more like electric bolts shooting from his hands like his original projectiles did and not just some stupid lightning ball, who ever heard of a lightning ball? lol just because MvC does it with storm doesn't mean Raiden should have it. I also hope he gets fatalities that really make him look like a god, have him summon powerful lightning from the sky, have the screen go dark, then raiden changs something and does a similar stance to his victory pose in MK2 and his hands start to look like they are charging up then clouds roll in (similar in look to the low clouds beind the characters in the pit 2) then you hear thunder rumble and you see different spots in the clouds light up starting from the back then making their way closer to the screen as thunder continues to get louder and more severe then you see these very real looking and large lightning bolts come down from the sky, first melting the persons skin off making blood drip down then another bolt and the flesh is burnt totally off so you see a charred skeleton then one more bolt to turn the skeleton totally to dust with just the skull left on top. I agree with the person that said turning them to dust was better than blowing up their head, that was one fatality in the original MK that was better on the SNES than it was in the original game.
Pages: 4
Download on the App StoreGet it on Google Play
© 1998-2024 Shadow Knight Media, LLC. All rights reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Mortal Kombat, the dragon logo and all character names are trademarks and copyright of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.