Post your reviews here
posted11/18/2008 09:38 PM (UTC)by
PapaRoachFan
About Me

Herro.

When I get the game ill post my review, but as for everyone else, why not put your reviews in here so everyone could easily read through them.
ermac1314
About Me

Sig by Redman

11/17/2008 03:48 AM (UTC)
MK vs. DC
Graphics: The graphics are awesome. The graphics are a great new way for MK to have now. While fighting, the graphics make it look more realistic.
Gameplay: The gameplay is also really good, I'm having a little trouble with the pro moves but the fighting is awesome. Free fall, Close, and Rage kombat are great new features to MK! The gameplay is awesome.
Story Mode: A little short, but still had a solid storyline. I enjoyed both sides of the story!
Overall this game gets .a 8.5/10
wrdlfe21version21
11/17/2008 03:53 AM (UTC)
ermac1314 Wrote:
MK vs. DC
Graphics: The graphics are awesome. The graphics are a great new way for MK to have now. While fighting, the graphics make it look more realistic.
Gameplay: The gameplay is also really good, I'm having a little trouble with the pro moves but the fighting is awesome. Free fall, Close, and Rage kombat are great new features to MK! The gameplay is awesome.
Story Mode: A little short, but still had a solid storyline. I enjoyed both sides of the story!
Overall this game gets .a 8.5/10

I agree I love Joker in this game and I love how when you play on the DC side he plays stronger than even Batman and Death Stroke its funny to hear him say what he says.. I give it a 9/10 cause I was surprised I beat Dark Khan on try 1 with The Joker on Hard really awesome!
brinkie69
About Me

Hey Supes, you just got knocked the f**k out!

11/17/2008 03:59 AM (UTC)
My biggest complaint is the computer AI. When you're trying to do a quick combo or use a pro move after getting up, the CPU is on you like flies on shit. They frickin turn into Bruce Lee on your ass and no matter how many times you press buttons the CPU ALWAYS gets hits/combos in and fucks you up. I like how Lex Luthor has the retreat pro move. Other characters should have it too. It gives you a chance to get a little bit of breathing room between you and you're opponent.

In RAGE mode I thought you couldn't be hurt or blocked but both have happened to me. I guess I was misinformed.
(Erik)
11/17/2008 04:25 AM (UTC)
wrdlife21version21 Wrote:
I give it a 9/10 cause I was surprised I beat Dark Khan on try 1 with The Joker on Hard really awesome!

I completely respect you're opinion, but if it was me, I would not be pleased that I beat the game on hard on my first try.
Uppercut Editions
About Me

Uppercut Editions - Mortal Kombat Encyclopedia Project Creator and Manager - Join Our Fight and Like the Mortal Kombat Encyclopedia Project on Facebook and Twitter -

11/17/2008 04:36 AM (UTC)
Good game. Took me a while to work through, and I like that.

Some issues I found, though:

Deathstroke's sword stance is a complete rip of Scorpion's Mugai Ryu stance from MKA. Like, Direct Port.

Sub Zero is crazy overpowered.

Dark Kahn is crazy cheap. I had to be cheap in return to beat him on both sides.

Repetitive recoveries and back ups.

Infinites are possible. Pulled one off with Superman, more may be in the game.

Endings are a little silly.

Scorpion border-lines mindless villian, though he does show more honor in this game, and I think that's a step in the right direction. Ie - Walking away from certain battles before they happen.
MINION
About Me
Groundbreaking Debut | You[Tube] | deviantART | Twitter
11/17/2008 04:37 AM (UTC)
Spoilers: (Highlight to reveal)
Taven's voice is used for the endings.
Uppercut Editions
About Me

Uppercut Editions - Mortal Kombat Encyclopedia Project Creator and Manager - Join Our Fight and Like the Mortal Kombat Encyclopedia Project on Facebook and Twitter -

11/17/2008 04:38 AM (UTC)
Edit: Okay. I can hear that now.
Deathbearer
11/17/2008 04:45 AM (UTC)
MINION Wrote:
Taven's voice is used for the endings.

Maybe MK vs DC is a dream he had before Armageddon..
TomTaz
About Me

"Retirement my ass!"

11/17/2008 05:15 AM (UTC)
I, for one, am LOVING this game. IMO the last three games don't even really compare. The new Kombat modes aren't quite as ridiculous as I thought they were going to be when we first saw them. They help to keep the fight intense. The graphics are excellent. No complaints at all about them... the characters and the arenas look outstanding. Story mode, while short, is very entertaining (and funny at times due to the Joker's efforts) and fun.

My only complaints at this point are: The Combo Challenge is nearly impossible to complete. It's frustrating to the point of wanting to hit something.

and:

The individual character endings are rather bland and (some) ridiculous. However, being a non-canon game I suppose that's forgivable considering everything else that was done RIGHT. If this game was supposed to be a one shot (which I hope it is) then getting into a really deep and involved storyline would have been a little pointless anyway. Save the great story for the REAL MK games to come. The only positive thing I can say about the endings is that the pics that go with them are outstanding (well IMO anyway).

My Favorite chars thus far:

Sonya (duh)

Shang Tsung (he's a little tougher to get used to... but once you got him working properly he really is no joke.) Lovin' the sorcerer.

Joker (he's really a LOT better than we initially thought he would be. Easily the most fun character to use.)

Scorpion

and last, (I really never EVER thought I'd say it...cause I've hated him a long time..)

Liu Kang (He's awesome in this game. He's got some of the best looking combos and is not only fast but powerful. This is how Kang should have been from day one.)
BiohazardEXTREME
11/17/2008 05:36 AM (UTC)
I freakin loved every bit of it. Beat the story mode on both sides, and I just loved how everything came together.

I think everyone would agree that this is BY FAR, the best voice acting, and best narrative ever presented in any Mortal Kombat game.
I really hope when the real MK8 comes along, they'll take example from this one on how to do the story mode, assuming there will be one.
Adam Ronin
11/17/2008 06:36 AM (UTC)
I absolutely love it.

Played it for 11 hours straight.

Story mode was good.

Graphics are fucking intense.

Sound is BRUTAL! The score is incredible, it's the best ever.

All the characters are awesome, IMO. Scorp and Subs who have always been my favs have never been better.

Combo Challenge sucks my fuckin testicles though. It's impossible. THE RAGE!!!

Can't wait to see what direction they head. I wish they would do a re-imagining of MK1 next. Start all over with the new engine.
badboylb32
11/17/2008 07:16 AM (UTC)
just got finished playing for 10 hours straight myself! fucking very intense game! soooooooooooooooo fun and i cant wait to learn how to play with everyone in the game. Fuckin rayden is scary intense to play with. Sub is exciting as hell! This is the best mk game ever guys.... I feel so priveleged to know Ive been a mk fan since I was 6, Great job MK team!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I give the game 10/10 without a doubt

they just gotta fix the online stat bug....
JayboH
11/17/2008 07:46 AM (UTC)
THIS is what the fighting game fans were hoping for from the last 3 games. The fighting is so much more fun. I am not a blind Boon slave, I am being honest here. They did a great job on the... feel of the gameplay. Guess that's what I would call it. It just feels really good.

The story mode is great, compared to past games. Easily better than I expected. They worked really hard on the small clips between each fight.

Graphics are great, but no surprise there, with the UT engine. Wish I had an HD TV for it, but still awesome. Voice acting is great too, and I got over Shang's voice pretty quick.

Weirdness: they use Barry Allen as the Flash, instead of Wally West. Thought that was kinda odd. It's clearly Wally's look but they used Barry in the bios.

Bios section is fairly direct and cuts out alot from a character's history as you can imagine, and there is nothing wrong with that. I would have done the same, to simplify it for those that don't know some of the characters.

Kombo challenge is freaking impossible. You can do the sequence and not get credit for it sometimes. No, really, I don't care what kind of expert you are. It is really, really crazy hard.
BiohazardEXTREME
11/17/2008 08:52 AM (UTC)
Okay here's my big review for the masses:

Score: 9/10

Bottom Line: Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe is a very compelling fighting game, with controls simple enough for anyone to play, and the overall presentation that should leave any Mortal Kombat and/or DC Comics fan satisfied.

This fall, Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe was my most anticipated title. Now, it's finally arrived, and it is all I was hoping it would be and more. Considering that it was announced only earlier this year, and assuming they were still in relatively early stages of production at the time, the MK team has done a tremendous amount of work in such little time. Part of the reason for this was that they didn't stay off focus. Mortal Kombat doesn't NEED to be anything more than a fighting game. As much as I enjoyed Puzzle Kombat in MK: Deception, and Kreate-a-Fighter in Armageddon, it's nice to see that they focused on the fighting aspect of this game. Although it's lacking unlockable content such as concept art, which was supplied to us in bulk, with the past few Mortal Kombat games, I'm not complaining. I'd rather focus on enjoying the game for what it is, than focus on Kollecting Kurrency, simply to unlock a photo of one of the team members making a funny face. The only things there are to unlock in this game are the essentials: Characters and Arcade Mode Endings. And neither require 'Koins'. Which, as I've stated, allows me to focus on enjoying the game itself. So let's focus on the game, shall we?

The gameplay mechanics are fairly solid. There is nothing overly outstanding about the fighting mechanics of this Mortal Kombat game, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. The fighting mechanics are rather simple, even though they allow for some creative combos. But nothing like in the previous MK games, where you have to memorize a combination of 12 buttons. As fun as that can be, it was also pretty exhausting to memorize. Obviously, the game is not without flaws. Several infinite combos have already been discovered, but that's usually nothing new with Mortal Kombat. The characters aren't completely balanced, but I do find that they're still a lot more balanced in this game than they were in the previous several titles.

The game itself contains several different gameplay modes, which are all awesome. There is of course the Arcade Mode, in the true spirit of Mortal Kombat. You can actually choose whether you want your enemy roster to be comprised of Mortal Kombat characters, DC characters, or a combination, which I thought was an excellent design choice, since Levels aside, it could make the Arcade more pure MK or pure DC.

The Kombo Challenge is another gameplay mode, where you are prompted to execute all sorts of combos. Some are difficult to the point of frustration, but as far as I know, they don't unlock anything aside from Trophies, so you don't have to complete them unless you care for collecting trophies. Which, so far, I don't really get.

The online mode is great. Period. You can join or create a room, and challenge available opponents to a fight. I have played maybe twenty fights, and I got absolutely no noticeable lag whatsoever. The fights play as smoothly online, as they do offline. And my connection is wireless.

Lastly, there is the story mode, which is, as far as I'm concerned, the highlight of the game. You're given the choice of Mortal Kombat or DC side, and you play through a series of fights, with cutscenes in between. I've never said this about a Mortal Kombat game before, but the cutscenes are spectacular. Everything from the camera work, to the animations, to voice overs. Of all the Mortal Kombat games that ever had a story mode, this one is by far the best. Finally, they took the narrative aspect of it seriously.

The graphics are great. They're not Tekken 6 spectacular, but they're still very well done. The characters looks more realistic than in the previous games. They no longer have the same faces, with different hairstyles. Each character whose face is visible, is very distinguishable from one another. If Raiden took off his hat and shaved his head, I would not confuse him with Lex Luthor.

The animations are a major improvement from the previous MK games, as well. You're no longer rushing through them. Instead, some of them are a bit slower and more drawn out, which makes the characters feel a bit more alive. The Joker of all the characters stands out with his over-exaggerated, clownish gestures. Very well done.

The levels are nothing to drool over, but what they lack in geometry and texturing, they more than make up for in design. The transitions, the architecture, the overall creativity that was put into the design deserves a hand. Again, comparing it to some of the previous MK games where I found some of the levels to be fairly bland or monotonous.

The sound is nothing spectacular. The music is somewhat generic sounding, and the battle cries are often repetitive. The sound effects themselves (such as fireballs and punches) are well done, but pretty standard. The overall audio is not bothersome though, and gets the job done. And as I've stated earlier, the voice overs are terrific.

As for lasting appeal... Well, there are twenty two characters. And each one has an Arcade Mode ending. The online mode is terrific. And the Story Mode is so good that chances are, you'll play it more than once. It might not be loaded with concept art, mini games or character customization, but this fighter holds so well on its own that I feel it doesn't need those things. And although it might not have the budget of Soul Calibur 4, I definitely think Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe stands out, and definitely deserves a spot among Virtua Fighter 5, Street Fighter IV, and all the other fighting games of this generation.
ThePredator151
About Me
The Ultimate Mortal Kombat Experience
- Lead Graphic Designer - Mortal Kombat Online -

:G-play

:Story

:F-Design

:Cutout

:Get Sig

:Raiden

:Fans [1] [2]

:#LegendaryArts

11/17/2008 10:47 AM (UTC)
Hm....simple analysis?

Every element of this game is utterly sub-par.

- I had more faith in the Story element in this game considering some of the folks on board. The story isn't just non-canon, it's humbling. It's give-up-able. Example?
Shao Kahn is Raiden's brother in this game. They have to know that this is massively unexceptable

As for the actual story mode look, when you think of a cheap script.....and how that cheap script can squander the talent of good voice actors. Well, there you go. This was terrible. Although the DC side has the obvious advantage here. No, that's fair, because their characters are actually defined, and able to be sharpened for this sort of thing.

Story-wise, I absoulutely hated what they did with:

Raiden (of course, it's almost nothing like ideal)
Scorpion
Sub-Zero
Shang Tsung
Kitana
Dark Kahn

Like:

Jax
Sonya

About on Par was:

Baraka
Liu Kang

--

All I'm saying here, was that this was the worst story plot and ploy aside from the attrocity that was MKA.

- I found that Gameplay is not "good", I'd call it "okay for the time being". It's another new "terrible", if they do not follow through, and give this mechanic some character and real substance. From my view, it won't hurt the accessibility that this game does actually have, if they allowed more options to actually be available. It feels very hollow, clunky, and it gives the feeling like "any minute now, this game is gonna show me that it's broken"....

I liked the illusion before playing the game that said, "any move - to -any move". Once I played it, I liked the short presents (dials, essentially). But what I found was that I could not turn the feel of those very short dials, into long string combos. Which means, combos ended before I would have liked them to. And that even if I could see logic in the way these moves could flow physically, I was prevented from exploring the option. This forces me to learn "your" way", intead of exploiting the system itself that is presented to me.

For instance, some characters have an "x,x,x" combo on Xbox360 controller. Well, why can't I "x,b,y" or "x,b,a" ~or w/e ~ If it feels right to me?

Instead, the dial a combo mentality is not escaped, it's only masked, by the fact that a special move, and or a pro move can be done at seemingly, "any time". Trying to cripple my fingers to the way you want me to play? Give ME control of how I want to play.

anyway....

Graphics are fine, but the animations suffer....All the little modes are exactly what I expected (interruptions, and stuff I want to turn off after a few hours of play), and there really isn't anything else on the disc besides this stuff. Practice mode, Online, "Extras" (a house for the endings and bios), and...the credits.

Let me tell you folks, noh, let me just put it like this: I rented the thing for 8 bucks and felt "almost cheated". And you have to know that, this is NOT normal for me. Especially when I bought SC4 reduced price, and felt like I still might owe them a couple dollars(which would probably bring me to full price) after playing MkvsDC.

The problem with that, is that I'm not a huge SC fan.

I guess that's my simple review for now.
queve
11/17/2008 02:17 PM (UTC)
I keep reading mixed reviews, but the majority seem to be positive and even extremely positive.

I cant wait to play this game. I'm so tempted to just go ahead and watch all the fatalities and the story-mode, but no, that would suck.

I want to play it!

Reviews regarding the characters seem to be the same as they were before the game was out, only that I read about more people being very very happy with Jax and Liu Kang, which is nice I guess.

It means something has been done right.

Story mode is one of my biggest interests. Hopefully its as good as most people say it is.

I'm happy they truly made my faves shine. I feel yay! grin
kryptondog
11/17/2008 02:30 PM (UTC)
Before this game came out, I kind of cycled through being excited about it and being indifferent about it. For a good month or two I was settled on indifferent. Last weekend I decided to bite the bullet and preorder the game, and I'm glad I did. It's very fun. It's not rocking my world or anything, but I was just about resigned to the fact that I'd outgrown Mortal Kombat games and it's definitely pulled me back in for a bit.

The graphics are overall good, but they're spotty at times during the cinematics (Jax's dog tags seem to be possessed by spirits). The faces are all very nicely rendered, sometimes noticeably better than the costumes. The textures on the characters' costumes are great.

I still don't care for Sub-Zero and Scorpion's costumes. Or any of the Mortal Kombat characters', really. It seems like there was an effort made to make the characters look easily identifiable as MK characters, if that makes any sense. It's certainly understandable, but I still can't shake the feeling that the costumes look a bit generic. The DC characters are fine, obviously; they all look like DC characters.

I love the story modes for both. It's easily the best that an MK game has ever had; it felt like I was playing an interactive cartoon. It's a little cheesy at times but that's to be expected. The DC story is much better than the MK story, in my opinion. Joker stole the show. I could be wrong, but it sounds like they hired the guy who voiced the Joker from the mid-90's Batman cartoon for this. Nice.

Since I'm not 14 anymore, I didn't miss the gore. Most of the fatalities were better than the over-the-top nonsense from the past few games; quick and matter-of-fact. No real complaints, aside from a few (e.g. Subbie's head rip) that were on my wish list but not possible given the T rating.

The fighting system isn't perfect, but it's leaps and bounds better than the last three. The close kombat and free-fall kombat modes are fun and don't really get in the way of the action, which is what I was expecting. It's still stiff and jerky- I'm not convinced that the fighting system isn't just a tweaked version of the past few games, but this is the first time they've messed with it enough to make it actually fun to fight.

Just a few gripes about reply value, though... I'm very disappointed in the lack of alternate costumes, and there's simply not enough unlockable content. I'm kind of hoping my gamer friends get interested in this game (none of them were too excited about it) because I don't think that Live matches will be enough to keep me interested in the game after a few weeks when the shine wears off. Also, as fun as it is mixing it up with MK and DC characters, I can't shake the feeling that I would've enjoyed this game a lot more if it was strictly an MK game with 20 characters or a DC game with 20 characters. It's the best MK game since MK4, but the fact that it's non-canon and tied in with another franchise makes me feel a bit cheated. Why'd it take that to make MK fun again?

All in all though (as I said in another thread), it exceeded my expectations. It has its problems, but it's still very fun. I'm satisfied. 7/10.
Fenix
About Me

Come help us build the greatest fighting game data repository ever to grace the internet.

http://www.fenixware.net/fab/index.asp

11/17/2008 02:39 PM (UTC)
The game plays better than da, de, and armageddon combined. the characters are more varied and interesting than they've been in years. if it turns out that its not horribly broken, this will easily be the best mk in a decade. Its not going to catch sf or tekken or anything, but so far it puts most of the other kombats to shame.
Animosity83
11/17/2008 03:24 PM (UTC)
I will give this game a 8.5/10

combo challenge is hard as hell. I cannot pull Jax's number 5 combo. hell anything after that.

gameplay is good. imo, they could have gave some of the characters more special moves.

Jax double missle thing is cheap...I'm tired of talking.

I love the game and that's alll I have to say. should go and buy this game if you don't have it
skillz
11/17/2008 03:29 PM (UTC)
Interesting read these reviews. Sofar they are very mixed, but I think that it has something to do with high expectations (which is correct) and fan enthousiasm (which I can understand, because this MK seems better then the last few).

I wish I had a PS3 of Xbox so I could rent it atleast. Would love to play this game, because A) it looks actually fun and B) I wanna know where MK stands right now. I can guess the answers based on the reviews and that the answers are A) YES its fun and B) This game is what the last few should've been, but not what MK should be right now.
MINION
About Me
11/17/2008 03:54 PM (UTC)
9.5/10 I love it!

The Good:

+ Gameplay - Is rather nice, and it works your fingers a LOT more then MKDA to MKA did. No more "easy" combos that even newbs can do. I find it to be very thawed out in those aspects. I have learned the Juggling mechanic just a bit, and am still learning. However, this is a little more tricker online. Not as much timing in between, as you have offline. So expect miracles, based on connection. Kombo Challenge, seems to be more in depth then I thought. I figured MKDA type of konquest combo config. Much more tougher. MIDWAY is learning! wow

+ Story - Is good, Not sure if It's better then the MKA one, As I played the MKA story over 30x, which is infact Ludicrous, but was enjoyable that long for some odd reason .. . Anyway, The story mode is good, but I found it didn't have any cameos that we had heard of, now I understand this was talked about in the comic. It was a kind of a let down apart from that. But not bad. I kinda see myself wanting to play it more.

+ Character Bio's - Ah yes, this is a SWEET new addition to the game, Full life scale models at your dispose to zoom around and look at detail, Not to mention how the bios are set up in that mode! A+ I love the concept for this game.

+ ONLINE - Is ok, Not bad so far. I kinda dislike how it's set up now. No more Private Messages. You also have to hit OPTIONS every time, to make the people not in game (i.e. by status) appear at the top, you need to re-check it manually, every time reds start appearing there?!? Kinda of crappy, not much to do though. I'll manage.

The Bad:

- Endings - Kind of disappointed tbh. While I love
Taven's
voice being used, it seems there not much enthusiasm or adrenaline behind it. Seems rather bland and the pictures used seem fewer each game. I find it kind of amusing how ed said, "If we did it before, we try not to do it again" Yet story mode has been the same for quite some time. Pictures with narrative voice and text. While these pictures are nice art. The voice work just don't capture it's essence. And tends to be a let down. MKDA, to MKD, was so much better, in that it seemed more story like. I could feel the anger and animosity more in those games endings.

Misc Stuff:

Captain Marvel: Is by far my fav in this game. I use him very well and I love his moves and specials. Prolly #1 on my roster of characters.

The Flash: Very fast and sleek, I like his moves. Good online and his combo punch is sweet. Not my fav comic book character, but very badass.

Scorpion seems to be a LOT better in this game, not much to say except much better development.

That's it really. Not much else to elaborate on.
jmo1214
11/17/2008 04:09 PM (UTC)
I fuking hate this game and i'm a mortal kombat fan since day 1. the gameplay is terrible. playing online u could never get a pop up combo to connect . The combo system is garbage.grinconfused
MINION
About Me
11/17/2008 04:20 PM (UTC)
jmo1214 Wrote:
I fuking hate this game and i'm a mortal kombat fan since day 1. the gameplay is terrible. playing online u could never get a pop up combo to connect . The combo system is garbage.grinconfused

Haha, that's epic. 5* for that 1.
ErmaSco
11/17/2008 07:00 PM (UTC)
I would give it 9 /10 .

The game is very fun , very beautifull and has alot of good elements .Although it is not a complete huge jumb from the last 3 MKs (which I love 10 times more than Namco’s shit ) it still feels better in gameplay .

You will notice that the game plays in 2D more than 3D and the days of MK3 are back .

The story mode is the best story mode you could ever hink about in a story mode .Both the MK and DC have a very cool story with serious parts and funny parts with The Joker who has stolen the eyes .

The gameplay looks smoother and I think that you will not have alot of problems like those you can find in the three MKs .

The game is not just pushing buttoms ,although there is no death traps any more you will still need strategy for each stage .Each stage has its own design elements and your strategy should not be the same for all of them .

The Klose Kombat is really more of a guess game as it has been said .It is really really fun to use it against a friend who know your way of playing .You will have fun doing it but dont risk .

Free Fall Kombat is onother Kool mode in the game as well as Test Your Might which is now a chalenge between you and your friend .

The charcter’s models look very nice also you will love some special touches such as Green Lantren’s ring .However sometime the game look normal in some parts which is few .

The charcters play very unique from each other and you will feel it .
Music and sounds is just as fun as always .The voice acting is very great for most of the charcters it really makes them more unique .

So , if you are an MK fan and still have doubts about the game then you should throw them away as MK VS DCU is better than a 1000 of Namco Shits .

It is funny that I was against the game .I hated it but now I really think that some of youu will think that this is the best MK since MK2 .

This game cost me 90$$(Yeah this is the cost for games in my country )and I must say that it deserves every dollar paid for it .
Pages: 2
Download on the App StoreGet it on Google Play
© 1998-2024 Shadow Knight Media, LLC. All rights reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Mortal Kombat, the dragon logo and all character names are trademarks and copyright of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.