Whats the best and worst parts of MKvsDc? (whew! this turned out long)
posted11/28/2008 11:17 PM (UTC)by
ThePredator151
About Me
The Ultimate Mortal Kombat Experience
- Lead Graphic Designer - Mortal Kombat Online -

:G-play

:Story

:F-Design

:Cutout

:Get Sig

:Raiden

:Fans [1] [2]

:#LegendaryArts

Understandably, different people like different things.

So? What's it to you?

These are mine for anyone who cares to read this monster....

Good:

1. Gameplay Mechanic feels alright. It gets better during combos but, they feel capped off. I think it limits the; "I wonder what else I can do?" inquisitive nature that comes with playing any game. I guess I wish the cap felt...idk, "higher". More options MkTeam. For instance, everyone needs some sort of parry. Not just Kano or whoever. Cancels, like the one Raiden has to get out of charging his lightning attack, should stay as they are. Which is character specific. I like that.

In the beginning I was skeptical and apprehensive. Right now I'm still a little skeptical because this mechanic shows more potential than the past couple MK games (MK never fully executes on its potential, they just cash in on the idea of it), but mainly I'm still apprehensive. Reason being, is because I think this is the mechanic to keep for a while and properly flesh out. i.e.; Add stuff to, and teak out til it's perfect.

I also like how this mechanic grows on me. However, there is really no element of "wow" besides what The Flash is capable of. What I mean is, there used to be an undertone of a certain speed or haste that we had to get to, in order to be able to compete adequately. Right now all that really seems to be there, is like a test to see who can be the cheapest player the fastest. Instead of promoting the notion that we should be trying to "get up to speed" with the rest of the great players, and to be able to perform wonderful moves and combos the best.

(I'm top 100 [[at one point, top 60]] online right now btw, so I'm not complaining about cheap asses, no do I avoid them, I'm just saying that the general goal of winning sees no real art to it at the moment. And I find that alot of all the characters are wasted because the mentality seems to simply be....find the cheapest [[or in other words]] safest moves.)

Umm..recommendation? Be innovative this way; promote and reward players for not only winning, but winning through whole use of a given characters...stuff. This might be an aesthetic claim based on the things characters are seen doing, so I'll leave that for later....

2. The way Test Your Might has been implemented. Yes, revisit the nostalgic qualities of the old games, in new ways. And what's really good about it, is that it doesn't feel forced or over used. I think the best part though, is that it complements gamplay. Ed Boon was right on the money with this one. Sometimes, you just wanna mash the buttons. lol I think it's appropriate anyway.

3. Raiden, Kitana and Kano, Baraka, Shang Tsung, and actually Captain Marvel impressed me (although I still hate his guts as a character).

- Raiden got some good, well deserved, long time waited for updates. I wish Raiden had more different stuff that he could do though (Rain/Nightwolf's lightning strike for instance), but that's the fan in me talking. I'd sacrifice the close lightning strike move for Rain/Nightwolfs move. Definitely keep the distanced lightning attack w/option to charge, torpedo, and the electrocution grab move though. Keep the teleport functioning the same too, but it could look better.

- Kitana simply needs a substitute for that roll move, I'm not a fan of hers, but I do feel kinda weird using that. Even though it does work well.

- Kano performs like I had imagined he'd be revamped 4-6 yrs ago. And I love his victory pose. His combos surprised the hell out of me, and that parry. Nice touch, and very "breathe of fresh air".

- Barakas combos are nice, but he's not my character. I'm glad it seems like he has alot of moves. As a scrapper, it's appropriate.

- Shang Tsung is impressive for this game I think he suffered alot because of this games T rating, and his voice actor wasn't right for him. He seemed out of character for this game. But during a match though, he's good to go. I like all the stuff that's there.

-Captain Marvel is as (I think it was) TonyTheTiger said in another thread. "His specials are very gratifying". That's right though. Because he doesn't feel like Raiden at all, but at least gets really close to staying true to that character. I was surprised at how well the Shazam call worked in game. I still hate him though...did I say that already? yea.

4. Being able to earn the breakers is good. Yea..... Right now, I don't think I'd mind seeing those return as is. I find them useful, and they feel alright since you can't abuse them which is good. Idk, those can go or stay and I don't think I'd be upset either way. hm..

5. Practice mode got needed, very appropriate updates. This should stick around as-is.

6. Voice Actors, Music, AND Sound Effects. All these things excel in this game above most else. These things almost sell the game. Only thing really wrong with any of this is that the script needed to me more fluid and comprehensive for our day and age. Less simpleton, more coherent, comprehensive, fluid conventionalism. I got terrible flash backs to that 1st 50Cent game;

50Cent's voice: "Ay Lloyd Banks, why don't you pick-that-lock with your lock-picking skills!"

Lloyd Banks voice:
"Alright, I'mma pick that lock because I'm Lloyd Banks. The guy with the lock picking skills."

50Cent's voice: "Alright...cool."

wtf?

7. Victory Poses! All of them are good to go. Yes, I remembered and yes, I see it. Put them back on the character select screen again too though.

8. Graphics are good. The abuse effects are good too.

9. Roster is a good size. Stick with this in MK9. I think there only being a couple of unlockables was handled well too. Only one or two of them. That's how it was back in the day. However, I wish they were more relevant to what was going on. By the time we get them, they're castaways.

Just saying that we should have probably unlocked someone that we were going to immediately use. Quan Chi maybe? At least?

10. Oh yea, I liked the way blood is handled in this game.

=====================

Bad:

1. The whole Story Element is trash. All the character portayals weren't terrible, but Raiden and Kitana stick out to me as a couple of the worst. Bios and Endings sucked consistently, but with only a couple having any good in them. Appreciate the attempt though. Sorry Vogel & whoever else.

Biggest problem was making magic such a forced issue. Edenia is the only world that should strongly suggest or be "magical", "wonderful", "serene", and "beautiful". NOT near as much as far as the individual characters go.

We have characters that use magic....other characters just should just have the skill. For instance, I don't look at "chi power" as a magic, it's simply a will to control an internal strength, and project it outward. Gods have "rites to will(they can just do it)", ect...On the other hand, Sorcerers have magic called dark arts. Like necromancy, voodooism, and portal awareness and or control....ect

Mortal Kombat is not a "universe filled with magic" (I don't remember which MkTeam member said that, but it's stupid). That's absolutely terrible to force the fact that there is magic in the universe of MK, on MK as a driving force. Bad, MkTeam, bad!.

2. All the modes and little things in game. Rage, FreeFall, Close Kombat, Test Your Might together like that is too much. Registers as a distraction to me and I do not appreciate that. Leave it to non-partisan game testers to reassure that the engine and mechanisms are good.

Mainly though, this is a placement, and relevance issue. So if these types of things return, just make sure they don't interrupt gameplay like Close Kombat, and FreeFall Kombat is doing. Those things need to be happening less.

Rage was alright for this game, but I don't wanna see it again. Free Fall only seems appropriate for this game, so if it does return in any way, limit it to one multi-tiered arena. Close Kombat should happen in a free roaming Konquest mode once or twice throughout that mode iMo. I don't like being stuck in that mechanic with so little options. In hindsight, I'd like to see how terrifying it would be to have to be subjected to it for a significant purpose.

3. Combos seem capped off. Revisit the old games one more time (MK3//UMK3//MKT), for those long combos and give us control of each movement in those very cinematic combos with this(mkvsdc) mechanic. A theme or concept of "Mortal Kombat Fighting" should be captured if they do this well.

The way MkvsDc's mechanic kinda stops after every little move is right for the task. As well, once you get going in this current mechanic, it feels like the natural progression from UMK3. It's very close but we need....more....options. THOSE old combos, HAVE the options this mechanic needs to see more of. +Some modern fighting game standards like Kanos parry for every character (character specific aesthetic please), character specific cancels (when warranted, like Raidens), maybe a couple more options from the ground, character warranted reversals, and the blockable throws that are in this game already. I know I missed some things.

4. Jump-Punch needs to function like the Drop-Kick. What the hell happened? Why does it pause like that mid-air? To add to that, everyone needs their own unique aesthetic here. Just like the old games had.

5. Online set up sux. The function itself isn't terrible, but how everything designed is not good at all. It's one of those things that just works, but it's really really ugly how it works. It's like a beater that keeps getting you to and from work for no real reason. lol

It's ugly and the loading times makes everything waay worse. Let us "enter a world" when we get online (which is aesthetically charged). I'd take cues from the way worldscollide.com is set up at least. I mean, can we get some stuff that rolls left and right? Doors that open and shut? Some kind of effect...or somethin'?

Wow it's boring right now. Makes it easy to turn the game off, when it should be set up to where we have to provoke the game to let us out.

6. Loading, Lag, Online glitches, the fact that there is a difference between offline and online using a given character because of these things...ect.

Mainly loading though, cuz I under stand the other stuff being there. Loading a match seems alright as long as it isn't 10-20 seconds or whatever. But when I'm online, but not in a match.....nothing should load unless I hit the refresh option.

Yea man, loading kills everything.

7. Mmm..I'd ask for more fluid transitions between matches. Not necessarily in the rooms (because the "rematch" and "quit" options are fine, leave those like they are.), but could the rank and player matches outside the rooms dump me right back into the pool once I'm done fighting with someone? You're making it too easy to quit playing. Just give me the option to get out of there if I don't wanna play again. 5-10 sec is all it takes to make a decision on that. Play Call of Duty 4 online to see what I'm talking about.

8. Anybody else want the option to audio chat while just sitting in the rooms? I would like to have the option. Even though Xbox does provide the friend chat thing....what if I have no particular friend online with me at the time eh? Sometimes, just hearing people talk smack back and forth is entertaining.....Just saying, let me have that option at least. Let me be able to turn off the rooms audio chatters without turning off the sound effects.

9. Fatalities SUCK. I mean seriously, wOoow. I like that a few of them take a more practical approach, because that makes them more realistic in a way. But this is one of those things that says reality IS quite boring.

To be straight up here, I'm not even a gore monger, but those just have to be better.

10. No Full Motion Vid. I understand why though, and the Unreal Graphics look par for what this game was trying to do. That's neither up or down btw...
===========

You're turn. Post whatever your pros and cons.
SubMan799
11/24/2008 02:54 AM (UTC)
Good:

Gameplay - I love the gameplay, you can pretty much keep building on a combo, little by little to make it a massive 15 hit, 44% combo. For instance, I was practicing with Baraka, and went from B 3, B 1, which IIRC deals like 15% to DB 4, B 3, B 1, B 1, BB 3, + FF 1, 1,1,3, which dealt like 50%. Yeah, you have to love that

DC characters - I'm a big DC fan, what else can I say?

Kombo Challenge - People like to complain about the difficulty, but I love it! So far I've done half of them with each character. Whenever I finished one trial and moved on to the next one, I always think to myself, "Wow! This looks impossible to do." Then I get into the combo and think, "Oh, that's how it's supposed to work, now it makes sense." That always feels good

Story Mode - 'twas fun. Almost every character was spot on, and it was nice to see all the characters interacting. Don't know why people complain about the story mode, it's non-canon, and it's fun to play.

Batman - Best. Character. Ever. Seriousely though, he's a beast in this game!

Test your might - Fun, fast, and I always deal alot of damage with it. They did this perfectly

RAGE! ITS THE RAGE! - I love the rage meter. Not Rage mode because it's really easy to dodge, but the rage meter is great. No more limited Breakers in a match! Meaning less infinites. Meaning yay!

Bad:

Lack of content - Okay, I don't care what anyone says, this game needs a Survival/Time Trial/Team Battle/Tournament mode. Just have one of them. It's a standard in fighters nowadays.

Unlockables - Needs more. Simple enough

Where the f**k is Johnny Cage! - He should've been in this game, and not have to be DLC. Seriousely, how did Jax and Baraka get in this game when Cage didn't?

More Stages - Not a big complaint, just more stages would've been nice

Klose Kombat and freefall Kombat - Again, not a big complaint, it's just annoying losing 26% of your health from sheer luck, and getting pulled into the boring ass Klose Kombat. Maybe if free fall didn't take as much and Klose Kombat had more options, this wouldn't be as bad. I wouldn't midn seeing them back if they give you more options

Yeah, that pretty much sums it up. Overall, this is my favorite MK fgame since UMK3.
Khankiller
11/24/2008 04:09 AM (UTC)
I agree 100% with you guys. Story blows, I could go without the free falling combat, though the test your might is pretty cool. I do agree, favorite MK since UMK3.
GrotesquetheBeast
About Me
I need a new sig, something with Kabal from UMK3 would be sweet. Just imagine that here
11/24/2008 04:57 AM (UTC)
good:

the storymode, I have to disagree with you, pred, when you say the MK universe isn't filled with magic. Though, I haven'te read any bios or seen many endings.

Graphics, voice acting, music, backgrounds, there's nothing I can say here that pred hasn't already.

Bad:

Fucking pro moves/combo challenge. I'm not one to give up easily, escpecially when it comes to MK (I spent untold hours working throught MKDA Conquest), but it's bit discouraging when they expect you to perform this long combo/ pro move, with out a hint on how to time it. on the tutorial all it says is "Pro move special timing", completly turned me off.

-GTB
Detox
About Me

You work with what you got...not what you hope for.

11/24/2008 06:51 AM (UTC)
Good-

Gameplay- HUGE steps above what was on display previously. I'm with Pred on the fact that i'd like to see it extended/enhanced beyond what is there. Kudos MK team. Thanks for a great playing game.

Graphics- Amazing. I've heard a lot of people complain that graphics aren't up to par with some of the more photo realistic fighters, but I honestly don't want a photo realistic MK. The world and charactars are cartoonish, larger than life, and fun. This art direction works fine IMO. Charactar models are great. The only one I can honestly find fault with is Shao Kahn. I'll admit, I loved it when I first saw it, but after seeing it in gameplay, it's just TOO much. Kahn's always been more on the slender side, and the bulked up look was very odd. The damage the charactars take is also an awesome sight to behold. Scorpion's damage model especially stands out.

Combo challenge- It's good for those that like a challenge. Me personally, I''ve yet to finish one, but have not grown tired of trying yet, so there may be hope for me yet.

The Roster- Personally I see some rather glaring omissions, but i'm still pretty happy with it. I've used Shang Tsung to steal Superman's soul. That's about as much as I could've hoped out of this mash up.

Sound- Voice acting is top notch(see the joker) but has it's faults(see Shang Tsung) but overall is great for an MK game. Music is also great, although it has a Superhero flare to it that is kind of annoying. Punches, bone snaps, etc. are all appropriatly brutal. Good stuff.

The Bad-

Story mode- Yeah, yeah, it ties the ends and explains everything, but it was just really bad. "THE RAGE!!!". That exclaimation by Captain Marvel will forever serve as a source of shame for the MK franchise, right up there with Special Forces and Mokap. It's just pure cheese, even by MK standards. This is two strike outs for the MK storytellers thus far, I'm hoping we have something amazing waiting for us in MK9.

Fatalities- I've been on the side of gameplay for a while now. As i've said, I'm extremely happy with how the game plays. The fatalties however are just really, really, bad. Like, really bad. Horrible. There are a couple worth their weight. Shang Tsung's second soul steal(why the fuck did he have two anyway?) almost had what I wanted right. But why did he have to morph into the guy to steal his soul? The skin turning white was a nice touch, but a more MK II'ish approach would've been better.

Light on the content side- I guess they're saving all the super unlockables for DLC this time around.

Can't think of anything else right now. I'll edit this later should I happen upon something.
DrCube
11/24/2008 08:17 AM (UTC)
Negatives -

Gameplay feels restricting. Of course, after the boatload of SC4 I played over the summer, this is expected. MK characters just can't do as much as SC or VF guys.

Voice acting on the DC side. Everyone sounds like they're trying too hard. The MK voices sound more natural. 'THE RAGE!!!'

Where are the extras?

Positives -

Everything else.
ThePredator151
About Me

11/24/2008 09:18 AM (UTC)
GrotesquetheBeast Wrote:
the storymode, I have to disagree with you, pred, when you say the MK universe isn't filled with magic. Though, I haven'te read any bios or seen many endings.

All good. I understand the otherwise unexplainable powers that some of the humans have being there. Sonya, Jax, Johnny Cage, ect ect.

"Just call their powers magic", right?

I simply disagree with the logic that says that, and believe it should be character specific. Mainly, I don't like that they love to clump things together like that is all.
Joe-Von-Zombie
About Me

Sig by MINION

11/24/2008 10:50 AM (UTC)
I love the fact the MK team actually tried to combat the infinite problems of the last few games by giving us the rage mode and chargeable breaker, I hate the fact that they couldn't design a system that didn't need band aid game mechanics in the first place. If this game didn't have these band aid mechanics, the fighting system would be garbage and that's a sad truth. These mechanics also leave so much up for debate for example: say I figured out a nice Shang Tsung loop, but it can be broken with a breaker, is this a flaw that needs to be fixed or the fact that it can be broken with a breaker render it a meaningless discovery?
GrotesquetheBeast
About Me
I need a new sig, something with Kabal from UMK3 would be sweet. Just imagine that here
11/25/2008 12:45 AM (UTC)
ThePredator151 Wrote:
GrotesquetheBeast Wrote:

All good. I understand the otherwise unexplainable powers that some of the humans have being there. Sonya, Jax, Johnny Cage, ect ect.

"Just call their powers magic", right?

I simply disagree with the logic that says that, and believe it should be character specific. Mainly, I don't like that they love to clump things together like that is all.

It's not necessarily the characters all having magical powers at their disposal (I understand many use Chi or whatever), it's the fact that the pathways through all the realms in Mortal Kombat are portals, which would fall under the category of sorcery/magic. And since all realms in Mortal Kombat are (theoretically) transversable through these portals, it's easy to assume that all the realms of the Mortal Kombat universe have magic inherent in them.

I wouldn't doubt that the mere presence of any strong magical force (i.e. A universe inherent in magic merging with the DCU) would have some effect on Superman. In other words, the magic in specific MK characters doesn't have to reach out an touch him, it's proximity to him and his entire world would probably do the trick. Just how getting near nuclear radiation would give you cancer, the plutonium doesn't have to punch you in the face.

Also, magic may be many things; a rabbit out of a hat, or an interdimensional Portal, it's not a linear concept; you’re dumbing it down too much. Is it possible that chi has some magical force behind it? The real definition within the bounds of the universe is up to the creator of that universe.

That’s just my view-GTB

ThePredator151
About Me

11/25/2008 09:51 AM (UTC)
GrotesquetheBeast Wrote:

Oh, I see that perspective too. Definitely. There's just a reversed perspective there that nullifies the blanket concept.

For instance, the DCU is theoretically the same exact way as your ideology suggest of MK. i.e. "Filled with Magic"....And, there are more characters than that of the MKUniverse to consider that are specifically defined as "magical", in the DCU.

So then by that logic, Superman should also be weakened by magic, in the DCU as well. Even moreso I think, considering there are more characters in his "Earth" with magical powers than in the MK world(s).

That's like saying that just because someone smokes, that they are automatically a pothead or a crackhead. It lacks the specifics and definition to make the statement true. The person could just smoke one cigarette a week. Or, they could smoke pot because of something that is actually medical. Either way I've met folks like this, and neither way makes them potheads or crackheads. They just....smoke. They're not "filled with smoke" or whatever...

When you talk about portals and so on, the traditional logic is to assume that someone, or something controls, or at least initiated the function in that method of transportation. Which of course begs to question the type of entity capable of performing in such a way, or providing that source of transportation.

So, the first thing I think about, is either (a.) a Sorcerer, (b.) a God, or in Mortal Kombats specific case (c.) Elder Gods allowed the access to it. One could then argue further that something permitted that power to be usable in the first place too. But the fact is, an appropriate source for the energy exists, and should be.....at least theoretically attributed to.

For this game, I accuse the writers of scapegoating the fact that there IS magic in the MKUniverse, and exploiting it in a way that suggest that "everything in the MKU has magic associated with it". That's wrong because there are one logical realm, and only particular characters to consider for a source of that magic. Just like in the DCU.

Bottom line to the way I look at it is, it's terrible to blanket the MKU like "it's filled with magic". Because that's wrong, and it's just as terrible and untrue if we were to blanket the DCU in the same way (there's more potential to do that with their universe than MKs anyway). MK took an unnecessary shot in the face for this magic crap, just so that the game may seem plausible.

When in truth, being descriptive, and defining the MK characters is all it would have taken. One way is easier though, I guess.
RazorsEdge701
11/25/2008 10:17 AM (UTC)
The game did attribute a source to the magic that opened the portals/caused the merger and is weaking Superman. Dark Kahn. Do you disagree that his power is a kind of magic?
ThePredator151
About Me

11/25/2008 10:19 AM (UTC)
RazorsEdge701 Wrote:
The game did attribute a source to the magic that opened the portals/caused the merger and is weaking Superman.

Dark Kahn.

Do you disagree that his power is a kind of magic?

Nope.

I don't like the allowance of the assumption.
RazorsEdge701
11/25/2008 10:39 AM (UTC)
Well I don't know what to tell you except that I believe Ed only said "the MK universe is filled with magic" in all those interviews to give a short, concise answer that would avoid spoiling the story mode.

You'll note that he ALSO never explained why Wonder Woman and Captain Marvel, who are just as powerful as Supes, but aren't weakened by magic, are weak enough in this game to be fought by the MK characters.

That's because it would have led to a much longer, more complicated answer, and in interviews, people always want to answer the question as quickly as possible so they can get to the next one, get through the interview, and go back to work.

(the answer, by the way, is that they get their powers from the gods of their world and that connection is being interfered with by merging with a world where those gods don't exist)
PenguinIceNinja
11/25/2008 10:49 AM (UTC)
At first I didn't really like this game. It didn't feel like MK with all the watered-down fatalities and minimal cast. Not to mention the lack of extra content.

But it's grown on me and I'm loving it right now.
ThePredator151
About Me

11/25/2008 10:50 AM (UTC)
RazorsEdge701 Wrote:
Well I don't know what to tell you except that I believe Ed only said "the MK universe is filled with magic" in all those interviews to give a short, concise answer that would avoid spoiling the story mode.

You'll note that he ALSO never explained why Wonder Woman and Captain Marvel, who are just as powerful as Supes, but aren't weakened by magic, are weak enough in this game to be fought by the MK characters.

That's because it would have led to a much longer, more complicated answer, and in interviews, people always want to answer the question as quickly as possible so they can get to the next one, get through the interview, and go back to work.

(the answer, by the way, is that they get their powers from the gods of their world and that connection is being interfered with by merging with a world where those gods don't exist)

Hahaha What? I didn't ask a question.

I caught the stuff about WW, and like Cap Marvel, but that's not what I'm talking about. DC's integrity wasn't jeopardized in the making of this game. MK's was because it can be, because it seems to be unrecognized.....and undefined.

There's a greater sin to be recognized first.
RazorsEdge701
11/25/2008 11:01 AM (UTC)
I'm just saying I don't agree with your assessment that magic isn't defined enough. It wasn't defined in those interviews, but it IS defined within the story mode of the game. It's coming from Dark Kahn, he is the source of the merger, he is what's redistributing powers from Superman to other characters like Joker.

Even when Scorpion kicks Superman nearly into the horizon, we know where that magic came from. He outright says "sorcery", which we know was given to him by Quan Chi, that's right in his origin story/character bio.
ThePredator151
About Me

11/25/2008 11:14 AM (UTC)
RazorsEdge701 Wrote:
I'm just saying I don't agree with your assessment that magic isn't defined enough. It wasn't defined in those interviews, but it IS defined within the story mode of the game. It's coming from Dark Kahn, he is the source of the merger, he is what's redistributing powers from Superman to other characters like Joker.

Even when Scorpion kicks Superman nearly into the horizon, we know where that magic came from. He outright says "sorcery", which we know was given to him by Quan Chi, that's right in his origin story/character bio.

Oh, I'm fine with it if you just don't agree. All good then. But the definition of magic (or how it's used) in this game is not what I was talking about either.

Implying that "the whole MK universe is magical", that's what I think is trash.

For Scorpion:

Scorpion = necromancy = magic (essentially). He's a walking corpse. And after Scorpion kicks Superman, Supes says: "Magic?"
kryptondog
11/25/2008 01:28 PM (UTC)
Pros:
DC Story Mode
Enjoyable fighting engine iteration
Fun in-game combat modes (air kombat, etc.)
Great graphics (for the most part)
Great special moves for both sides
Cool end boss

Cons:
MK Story Mode
Fighting still stiffer than a modern fighting game should be
Some unimaginative finishers
No alternate costumes
Too many good MK and DC characters missing from the roster
GrotesquetheBeast
About Me
11/25/2008 09:25 PM (UTC)
Well, I don't know too much about the DCU, but I feel that is a universe more closly related to Earth than the MKU (excluding Earthrealm). Perhaps the Magic in the MKU is more powerful, or of a diffrent type which Superman only encounders when he fights myzuplx, or whatever the hell that little bastard's name is.

The themes in the MKU seem to point more towards mysticism and folklore, while the DCU uses a more traditional "pick a card, any card" type of magic to it. The latter is the one we would generally view as "Magic", here in out very literal real world. But perhaps the Magic in the MKU runs deeper, and is by proxy more powerful and/or radiant (the type which has an effect on Superman".

I do feel, though, that the power behind the two universes merging is an unexplainable, mysterious force. Unable to comprehind, under a mystic viel and therefore under the category of Magic.

-GTB
JohnBoyAdvance
11/25/2008 09:56 PM (UTC)
Good Parts
- Gameplay being very much improved from Armageddon.
- The amount of detail on the characters.
- Story mode - It really did kick the crap out of SCIV's story mode.
- Lex Luthor - He is so dang evil. and smug.
- Shang Tsung - I loved the fact that he got a bit of an ego when he realises he can beat Liu Kang whenever he wants.
- Joker - Best lines in the story mode.
- The facial expressions on some of the characters after meeting each other. In particular Scorpion raising an eyebrow over Joker.
- Jax - I was fearing the worst for him. Especially after he was "The Cole Train" before he was even thought of in MK:DA, But he turned out very cool in the story mode.
- Most of the voice acting was good.
- The roster is a good start for future editions.

Bad Parts
- My shitty timing and my fat fingers being completely hopeless at Kombo Khallenge. sad
- Raiden and Kitana - Raiden was over aggressive towards the DC characters and Kitana just turned completely batshit insane after witnessing the Outword/Apokalips merger. But that wasn't clear straight away.
- No decent alternate costumes.
- Lack of Survival mode
- No chapters for certain characters.
- Batman was disappointing. His main trick was to get beaten up and then hit them with a stun gun.
- Lack of ladies. Mileena and Cheetah or Circe would be have been nice.
- Lack of main villains for the DC side. Black Adam or Gorilla Grodd or Cheetah or Circe would have been great.
- Obligatory No Lobo comment.
- I was told there was going to be a fuck load of cameos in the story mode. I was very disappointed when that turned out to be false.
- Fatalities/Heroic Brutalities were disappointing. But that's what we expected.
queve
11/26/2008 07:22 PM (UTC)
I'll go more in depth when I play the game, but apparently:

The good:

* Awesome fun gameplay.
* Amazing storyline.
* Perfect Sonya (literally!).
* Voice acting.
* Graphics.
* Most characters.
* Most fatalities.

The bad:

* No special things that add to the replay value:
* No krypt
* No hard way to unlock characters.
* No real hidden characters.
* No FMV endings.
* No FMV intro.
* Kitana.
* And Wonderwomans hair.
* A few fatalities.

more later.
RazorsEdge701
11/26/2008 07:30 PM (UTC)
GrotesquetheBeast Wrote:
Well, I don't know too much about the DCU, but I feel that is a universe more closly related to Earth than the MKU (excluding Earthrealm). Perhaps the Magic in the MKU is more powerful, or of a diffrent type which Superman only encounders when he fights myzuplx, or whatever the hell that little bastard's name is.

The themes in the MKU seem to point more towards mysticism and folklore, while the DCU uses a more traditional "pick a card, any card" type of magic to it. The latter is the one we would generally view as "Magic", here in out very literal real world. But perhaps the Magic in the MKU runs deeper, and is by proxy more powerful and/or radiant (the type which has an effect on Superman".

I do feel, though, that the power behind the two universes merging is an unexplainable, mysterious force. Unable to comprehind, under a mystic viel and therefore under the category of Magic.

-GTB

The DC Universe has several wizard-type characters of the traditional fantasy variety who have been members of the big superhero teams like the Justice League, serving alongside Superman. The most popular examples would be the characters Zatanna and Dr. Fate.
They also have The Spectre and Zauriel. The Spectre is "the Wrath of God". Literally. He gets his power from the Christian deity who created the universe and carries out his bidding, murdering sinners. And Zauriel is an angel. From Heaven. Again, Superman has worked with the both of them. Not to mention that both Wonder Woman and Captain Marvel get their powers from the Gods of Greek Mythology.
So magic and godly powers are just as common in the DCU as in the MK Universe. They're not unfamiliar with it, and it's not mysterious. It's coming from Dark Kahn. He's a being with magical powers and he's using those powers and it's making strong characters weaker and weak characters stronger, forcing an even playing field so they will fight each other as often and as long as possible and hasten the merger. Bottom line.
Animosity83
11/26/2008 08:40 PM (UTC)
I like the character design but in a way I don't. I think mkda had the best character designs. they just seemed and felt like mk. in mk vs dcu, they are mk characters but to me doesn't feel like it. I like rage mode, freefall, closecombat, test your might. I miss the alt outfits. they could have done better with the finishing moves. probably they were rushed. combo challenge is hard as hell. I can do some of subs but I can't do the damn first one for some resaon and it's only two damn moves. scorp was my fav but it's something about him in this game i don't like. don't know what it is though. graphics should have been more polished. mkda looks more polished than this game. the game doesn't feel dark at all or gritty imo. seems like mk went from a stand alone to just another fighting game like the rest. maybe it's because of the crossover! to be honest, I rather play mkda or mkd plus I'm already looking foward to a mk9. hope the characters look mean and evil and feel evil. imo they should use shangs outfit from the mk1 movie. shang with black on. that's it for now, have to go
Gho$t
11/26/2008 09:17 PM (UTC)
The Good
Superman!

The Bad
The simple simon-weak ass fatalities.
Ninjakata
About Me

Life is a journey. Enjoy it.

11/26/2008 11:25 PM (UTC)
IMO the good:

- Gameplay mechanic. What I like most is the ability to do any of the special moves during the combos. I'm able to create many of my own custom combos. I also feel that some of the special moves have gained an actual purpose to using them during gameplay thus making them more fun for me to use. In previous gen Raiden's teleport was just an escape or surprise move. Now I can launch, juggle you, teleport and continue my airborne assault. This is how I like to see special moves implemented.

- I actually think the combo breakers work well for this game. Even better than the previous two games. They're faster, and they don't have that slow hang in the air effect after an air combo breaker like in MKA. This time you can have 4% health and you won't drop dead from breaking a combo to save your ass. In MK9 though many including myself will be looking for something much more intuitive than the combo breaker.

- I think the directional throw is cool and how you can use it to throw your opponent into a stage transition. I hope this is retained to some extent in MK9. As opposed to a jab that sends them flying 30 feet into a death trap, I would much rather be able to fling an opponent through a window, off a building, or off of a mountain to his doom. I also like that there are throw escapes, and ways to grab and punish those who turtle.

- I like the pro moves. I just hate the timing for some of them.

- Cool cloth damage effects.

- Improved character design and detail.

BAD:

- I don't think combo challenge is worth the achievement/trophy.

- Lackluster on modes, and hidden additional content. I know they set up the game for downloadable content. As of now though it could be pretty bare bones for someone who may not care to do the online thing for the added replay value.

- Rehashed animations from previous gen, and many fighters have the same get up animation.

- Lackluster online setup. They've been doing this go into different rooms thing for sometime now. Go into rooms, type chat, and see who wins every two seconds. I dont care to see who wins so I can go after and challenge him. Whats stopping them from having a virtual arcade like setup? An online tournament or kumite mode where 16 players can be in a room and voice chat while they watch a current match, and talk about how they're going to take down the top player.

- Downgraded fatalities. To me they kind of lost a some of the satisfaction of pulling them off since the brutalities don't kill, but I'll take these any day over MKA's horrendous kreate a fatality.
Pages: 2
Download on the App StoreGet it on Google Play
© 1998-2024 Shadow Knight Media, LLC. All rights reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Mortal Kombat, the dragon logo and all character names are trademarks and copyright of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.