Site Network Movies Fan Submission Community Media Games News
There are 1 users online.
Username: Password: Save:
MK Online    Kommunity    Show Message
Join MK Online Free or become a Flawless Member for special benefits.
Top MKX Discussions
- Supreme Mortal Kombat Champion Tournament 2017!
- Injustice 2 Fighter Pack 1 Trailer Reveals Sub-Zero & More
- MKX Mobile - Baraka Challenge
- Speculation: Future of Non-Playable Characters In Doubt?
- Mortal Kombat X Mobile Announces Anniversary Update
- Kountdown: Top 10 Supremely Missed in Mortal Kombat X
- Mortal Kombat XL Announce Trailer
- MKX DLC: Unpacking Kombat Pack 2 Characters
- Mortal Kombat X Kombat Pack 2 Trailer - 4 DLC Fighters
- WSJ Reports Mortal Kombat X Sales Exceed Five Million
- Guide: Komplete Mortal Kombat X Brutality List

Register to join the discussion. Share stories via @MK_Online & Facebook.

MK Online User Poll

Ready Player One?
I smell her perfume! (65.7%)
I smell something... (34.2%)

Forum Listings

MK Online Site Updates
  • August 17th, 2017
    Injustice 2 Fighter Pack 2 Reveal Next Week [Read On]
  • August 12th, 2017
    MK Warehouse Celebrates 15 Years [Read On]
  • August 11th, 2017
    Mod Koms: Fan Edit Breaks Injustice 2 Bones With X-Rays [Read On]
  • August 7th, 2017
    Is Kitana in the Ready Player One Teaser Trailer? [Read On]
  • August 7th, 2017
    IGN Crown MK Greatest Fighting Game Character [Read On]

Site Themes
You must be logged in to
select themes.

MKO on Twitter

Media & Merchandise

Discussing Mortal Kombat in Movies, Television, New Media and Merchandising.
Page of 3

DArqueBishopPosted: 06/25/2009 05:03 PMStatus ::
Mortal Kombat Film Producer Sues Over MK IP Rights

With Midway in the throes of Chapter 11 and a possible buyout from Warner Bros. looming, another player in the drama is making his voice heard. According to GamePolitics, Larry Kasanoff, the producer of the two Mortal Kombat films and owner of Threshold Entertainment, is suing Midway to preserve his IP rights, including copyrights to certain characters and the right to make derivative projects such as films and television series. From the news article:

Kasanoff claims that it was he who made Mortal Kombat more than just a video game:

In 1993, Kasanoff visited Midway... with an idea to launch the Mortal Kombat concept in a totally new direction. Specifically, Kasanoff proposed to develop... a full feature-length motion picture, a television series, and other productions. Midway was initially skeptical, as Kasanoff's idea was revolutionary at the time...

The Mortal Kombat series, as it stands today, is far more a creation of Threshold and Kasanoff than of Midway. Midway's creative input was almost entirely limited to the videogames. On their own, the videogames provided only minimal back-story and mythology, and only flat, "stock" characters... Kasanoff and Threshold were responsible for virtually all of the creative input that went into turning the videogame concept into a multimedia enterprise.

In his lawsuit, Kasanoff also claims credit for making MK characters like Liu Kang, Sonya Blade and Scorpion into recognizable names. The suit estimates that the franchise has grossed more than $4 billion over the years.

In petitioning the Bankruptcy Court, Kasanoff seeks to block the proposed sale of Mortal Kombat assets to Warner Bros.

It is unclear how Kasanoff arrived at his claim, however. Mortal Kombat was already a household name and the characters of Scorpion (with his "get over here!" catchphrase) were well known to the public. In addition, Midway themselves provided a great deal of backstory to the games in the form of comic books and in-game biographies. In fact, the only element from the movies and TV series to become part of the canon Mortal Kombat mythos is the character of Quan Chi, who premiered in the animated series Defenders of the Realm. Threshold itself has not been seen as a player in the Mortal Kombat franchise since 1999, when Mortal Kombat Conquest ended its run. While rumors of a third film have been floating around for years, nothing concrete has been seen, while several games from Midway have worked to expand the game mythos and history. In addition, with a couple of notable exceptions, the mortalkombat.com website run by Threshold has been virtually abandoned for years.

We'll be keeping an eye on this story; as we learn more, we'll be sure to report it here.

To read GamePolitics's story on this lawsuit (complete with Kasanoff's full complaint), click here.

Our thanks to forum/chat member samus_aran3900 for the heads-up about this news story!

Thread Closed
Vash_15Posted: 06/25/2009 05:08 PMStatus ::

Visits::11780
Nationality::United States
RE: Mortal Kombat Film Producer Sues Over MK IP Rights

What a jackass, seriously, even if he wins his suit, he'll have killed MK, and therefore profits, since after Annihilation I wouldn't go see Threashold's next MK film

Thread Closed
RiyakouPosted: 06/25/2009 05:09 PMStatus ::

Visits::5624

As stated in the original thread, regardless of wether or not he came up with the idea to take MK in a new direction, he didn't come up with MK.

Whatever rights he does get (if the case even gets that far) will be useless. He can't use the iconic characters, i.e. Scorpion, Sub-Zero, Raiden, without the consent of the people who created them, which would be Noob Saibot.

Besides, like kingjolly said, the stuff was overall crappy.

Thread Closed
seanayPosted: 06/25/2009 05:20 PMStatus ::

Visits::9273
Nationality::United Kingdom

hes not gunna get much if Midway are bankrupt as it is

Thread Closed
Skaven13Posted: 06/25/2009 05:23 PMStatus ::

Visits::2233

I guess in Chicago, when it rains, it pours.

skavesig
Thread Closed
RiyakouPosted: 06/25/2009 05:27 PMStatus ::

Visits::5624

Skaven13 Wrote:
I guess in Chicago, when it rains, it pours.

Aw, you hurt my feelings.

Thread Closed
TonyTheTigerPosted: 06/25/2009 05:40 PMStatus ::

Visits::17225

DArqueBishop Wrote:

From the news article:

Midway's creative input was almost entirely limited to the videogames.

How insignificant.

TonyTheTiger - Forum Director

Photobucket
Mortal Kombat Online - The Ultimate Mortal Kombat Experience
-
Nintendo is comprised of three Japanese words. Nin, Ten, Dou, and when combined it means we kicked the holy shit outta Atari.
Thread Closed
sonicherosfan1Posted: 06/25/2009 05:52 PMStatus ::

Visits::2646

He's kidding right?This is a complete joke,no?OMG.And Threshold and him has done what with the rights to making a movies since?Nothing.I hate to break it to him but,those characters were well known way before the movie's came out and the tv shows and so on.Plus if anything,he or threshold or the people involved with the second movie almost ruin the franchise altogether so honestly if I was him I wouldn't take so much credit about some of the stuff he was involved with.(thats a joke btw,don't take it to seriously)

Thread Closed
rodrigomaruPosted: 06/25/2009 05:55 PMStatus ::

Visits::433
Nationality::Mexico

wtf!? this foo' is full o'crap! If he's responsable for all those movies, cartoons n' stuff, then pretty much all he did was exploit the popularity that the games had beforehand established!
Seriously nobody cares about the MK cartoons, MKC was okai at the time, so was the first MK movie, but like pplz already said, overall, it was just crappy stuff...
Poor Midway, let'em die in peace, seriously...

Thread Closed
XiahouDun84Posted: 06/25/2009 06:05 PMStatus ::

Visits::14274

DArqueBishop Wrote:
The Mortal Kombat series, as it stands today, is far more a creation of Threshold and Kasanoff than of Midway. Midway's creative input was almost entirely limited to the videogames. On their own, the videogames provided only minimal back-story and mythology, and only flat, "stock" characters... Kasanoff and Threshold were responsible for virtually all of the creative input that went into turning the videogame concept into a multimedia enterprise.

LMAO. Fuck off you dickwad.

The only thing of any real merit the games took from the movies was the idea of Raiden being a mentor figure. Otherwise, all we got was the Liu Kang/Kitana relationship, Kano killing Sonya's partner, and the nonexistent Johnny Cage/Goro "rivalry."
Where, oh where, would Mortal Kombat be without those cornerstones of the storyline?

EDIT:
Oh yeah, and Quan Chi first appeared in the cartoon...while every single thing else about him came from the games.

Thread Closed
ThePredator151Posted: 06/25/2009 06:20 PMStatus ::

Visits::1544

Oh so now that there's a good possibility of some more money moving around, now he wants to pop up. haha...

Larry, listen to me. You went to sleep on it. You did make "some MK stuff", but you didn't do all that. It's time to let go of MK. Let go "Threshold"...let it goooo.

Seriously though, the audacity in the position he's taken on this is quite disgusting. Quite.

Now all of a sudden, after years of inactivity, Threshold made "Recognizable names" out of the MAIN charters in the game that existed years before the films, cartoon, and t.v. show??

How long is his arm?

lol

The Ultimate Mortal Kombat Experience
- Lead Graphic Designer - Mortal Kombat Online -

:G-play :Story :F-Design :Cutout :Get Sig :Raiden :Fans [1] [2] :#LegendaryArts
Thread Closed
ShingoEXPosted: 06/25/2009 06:23 PMStatus ::

Visits::31468

It's jsut an excuse for him to get money out of an IP they've been sitting on and are doing nothing with. That's pretty damn sleazy.

Thread Closed
ThePredator151Posted: 06/25/2009 06:31 PMStatus ::

Visits::1544

XiahouDun84 Wrote:
The only thing of any real merit the games took from the movies was the idea of Raiden being a mentor figure. Otherwise, all we got was the Liu Kang/Kitana relationship, Kano killing Sonya's partner, and the nonexistent Johnny Cage/Goro "rivalry."

Where, oh where, would Mortal Kombat be without those cornerstones of the storyline?

EDIT:

Oh yeah, and Quan Chi first appeared in the cartoon...while every single thing else about him came from the games.

Oh just look at that irony.

All those plots are dead or dieing in the game anyway. Raidens playing puppet master with the bad guys now, Liu Kang's dead, Sonya//Kano need to quit it, and Cage//Goro *poof!*, like you said.

And I'd give him Quan Chi....and then let Scorpion kill him off in the story somewhere outside the games.

Ha!

Quick, someone get me a ruler so I can measure this guys reach! lololololo

The Ultimate Mortal Kombat Experience
- Lead Graphic Designer - Mortal Kombat Online -

:G-play :Story :F-Design :Cutout :Get Sig :Raiden :Fans [1] [2] :#LegendaryArts
Thread Closed
ZentilePosted: 06/25/2009 07:57 PMStatus ::

Visits::13932
Nationality::Portugal

Look at all the characters Kasanoff came up with that became an essential part of MK!

Siro, Taja, Mika, Siann, Kreeya, Sung Hi Lee's boobs, Ankha, Tomas, Master Cho, ... I mean really, the most recognizable icons of MK came from Kasanoff's brilliant MK hat (seen in my avatar).

Sub-Zero's power to create a giant sphere of ice around him is easily his most popular move.

Everybody knows Scorpion shoots a MECHANICAL SNAKE from his palm.

And what would MK be without it's 10 straight victories rule?

What an asshole you are, Larry Kasanoff. I've never felt so ashamed of having you as my avatar.

Thread Closed
thetruth4Posted: 06/25/2009 08:00 PMStatus ::

Visits::5029
Nationality::Australia

The first film was incredible and just because he cant get the third one made doesn't mean he has to sue midway.

Thread Closed
Shang_heihachiPosted: 06/25/2009 08:00 PMStatus ::

Visits::1076

Okay, I'm once more breaking my exile to comment on this.

The Mortal Kombat franchise is ONLY the games. The two films were utter trash. The first film was a modest but ultimately garbage attempt at bring MK to the big screen. The first mistake was giving Paul Andersen the helm, but even that jackass did better than whatever schmuck took control of the second film.

Mortal Kombat's lore has been explained in the games. The problem is that the majority of players don't care about it because they're just kids who need to get their rocks off to violent fighting games. MK in itself has been terrible since MK3. It failed miserably in the 3D transition and should take a lesson from Street Fighter 4 : 2D fighting is not out of style, in fact it's better than ever.

This dickhead coming along and saying that he made MK is about as relevant as Al Gore saying he invented the internet (no offense to Al Gore). It won't hold up in court, and he's going to look like an ass.

Thread Closed
~Crow~Posted: 06/25/2009 08:01 PMStatus ::

Visits::39491
Nationality::Antarctica

This doesn't even warrant a reply. His claims will be laughed out of court.

Thread Closed
ProfesserAhnkaPosted: 06/25/2009 08:15 PMStatus ::

Visits::6171

He's a fool if he thinks he's going to actually win anything! Threshould came knocking YEARS after the video games blew up, they then made two movies, which have been forgotten, a tv show, which has been forgotten, and a cartoon series, which has been forgotten.

This loser had NO hand whats so ever in making MK as big as it is. And the fact that the last time they did anything with the series was back in '98 is laughable!!!! I could see if they had been releasing new MK movies and shows within the past eleven years, but they haven't! This is going to get laughed out of court! They just don't want WB replacing them.

Leader Of Rain's Minions & Tanya's Titans. Thx Minion!  photo ProfesserAhnkaSig_zpsoi5spq99.gif
Thread Closed
ZentilePosted: 06/25/2009 08:37 PMStatus ::

Yeah, I mean the first movie came out after UMK3 for Christ's sake. That was pretty much after MK's peak of popularity; the MKII-era was the one with the card game, comic books, etc.
While the first movie is held as arguably the best video-game based live action film ever made, the second movie is known for being a pile of shit and the tv shows never even gained all that much popularity in the first place.

Thread Closed
rodrigomaruPosted: 06/25/2009 08:59 PMStatus ::

Visits::433
Nationality::Mexico

and even if this bitch kasanoff says he did all that, thats bullcrap, all he did is produce the stuff, he didnt even contribute to writing the MK movie, which was the only thing that i would say was close to decent..

Thread Closed
LolacaustPosted: 06/25/2009 10:03 PMStatus ::

Visits::1109
Nationality::Antarctica

...what a tosser.

Thread Closed
JerrodPosted: 06/25/2009 10:33 PMStatus ::

Visits::9114
Nationality::Canada

Today, it has been decided that Kasanoff is a synonym for dickhead.

I hope the judge smacks him across the head with the gavel.

MKO Moderator, Story Writer, Actor
*Signature by Pred*
Thread Closed
ShinomunePosted: 06/25/2009 10:35 PMStatus ::

Visits::8727
Nationality::Spain

/thread

Thread Closed
ZentilePosted: 06/25/2009 10:47 PMStatus ::

OK so can we all agree that we'll work hard to make this work? From now on we'll all just start using kasanoff as a word to insult people.I think if all try, we can make this work and our grandchildren will be calling each other kasanoffs without even knowing the origin.

So how about that Christian Bale? He was a huge kasanoff to that Director of Photography.

Thread Closed
JerrodPosted: 06/25/2009 11:04 PMStatus ::

Visits::9114
Nationality::Canada

Zentile Wrote:
OK so can we all agree that we'll work hard to make this work? From now on we'll all just start using kasanoff as a word to insult people.I think if all try, we can make this work and our grandchildren will be calling each other kasanoffs without even knowing the origin.

Yes, we must. Let's see if we can make it into a verb while we're at it.

kasanoff: to act as a dickhead, often in a backstabbing and ridiculous way to obtain profit dishonestly.

He tried to kasanoff his was into a fortune by suing the company for a franchise he didn't create.

MKO Moderator, Story Writer, Actor
*Signature by Pred*
Thread Closed
Page of 3

© 1998-2017 Mortal Kombat Online. All rights reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Mortal Kombat, the dragon logo and all character names are trademarks and copyright of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.