:Get Sig

:Raiden

:Fans [1] [2]

:#LegendaryArts

11/28/2010 06:27 PM (UTC)
skyboy Wrote:
ThePredator151 Wrote:
Woooow by comparison.

I missed Kitana's reveal so, please excuse the late disdain. I mean they didn't even get close. lol

Do you mean they didn't get the model close to the concept? If so, thank god they didn't. She looks like a transgendered man in the concept, and the fans are ridiculously small lol. There's nothing wrong with transgendered people, but I don't think Kitana is supposed to be one. This is the first time in a long time the model looks waaayy better than the concept. It's colored nicely though.

I should have been more clear.

I don't feel they got close to Kitana. The model and the concept are off. Some examples:

MK3 Concept
MK1 Movie & MKvsDC
MK4 & MK2 Actress
Comic Book
Fan Art 1
Fan Art 2
MKDA
MKSM

I think that covers pretty much everything except for less famous fan art, and alternate costumes.

The complaint is that this MK9 Kitana (i.e.this & this) does not comply with how the character has been presented to us anywhere in the any previous media. It also disagrees with this characters general description. It also disagrees with some of our most famous fanart, most of the cosplay I can remember, I mean everything.

Now, much like XDun84, I could understand if this design is supposed to be some kind of remake because of how Raiden is tampering with the timeline or events. But, they aren't looking to really deviate from past events or anything like that, and on top of that.... why go through all that trouble just to change a single costume?

Doesn't make sense to go from Assassin // "oh yea, she's also a princess," to something that looks like a Princess Leigha with some knifed fans.

The designs I quoted (i.e. this or this...or even this gets close in some ways) glean more of what I understand to be a female assassin design. They don't sacrifice sexiness, the designs are definitely not masculine, and they, even though they are from some other game or whatever, have qualities that fit Kitana's known canon story element.
The design before us now does not.

I liked Kitana's MKvsDC design because it made her appear more battle-ready....even though it didn't step away from the leotard and mask combo. It still kept alot of the consistency in what we're familiar with from Kitana. The other design in the past that I liked from Kitana was her MKSM design. Same basic reasons.

I figured ok, since it doesn't look like they want to take her designs closer to the assassin part of her character (which makes up more of her life in the story than the princess stuff.1000's of years since she was a little girl, apparently), at least they're not diving head first off the "I'm a princess" cliff.

For instance, if you've spent most of your life farming, the fact that you may also be royalty, doesn't make much difference in the way you act or dress. You're STILL going to dress like a farmer, right?

Then there's this whole thing about where something happened to her memory. I'm like, okay cool... but that still isn't going to insta-change you into knowing, or behaving, or dressing like royalty.

So what's this design and that ridiculous *wink* thing telling me? It's screaming "This MK9 Kitana does not have the original concept in mind at all...This Kitana is not an assassin, she just a plain ol princess that may have learned how to use sex-appeal as a weapon".

Thing about that is, the original Kitana is far more interesting. Princesses are boring... and that's what this design is. Assassins...female assassins are interesting. So a female assassin who is also a princess is more interesting than what is here before us now.

All in all, this design escapes her original premise. They kept some likenesses to what Kitana typically looks like, sure. Long hair, blue costume, the fans, mask, and the high boots. But her design never has reflected her past, and it has never really matured from the original concept. This design, bastardizes, neglects, and ignores the known canon, and know features and qualities about Kitana.

heh...I hope her story is extremely good...
MrHoppyX
11/28/2010 06:57 PM (UTC)
TheManWithTheGoldenGun Wrote:
Her absolutely ATROCIOUS alternate attire in Mortal Kombat Deadly Alliance. The one where she is unmasked with the Purple Leotard and stockings. Holy crap that was bad but she did look kinda princess like there

That outfit kicked ass. Both kitana outfits in those games were here best, IMO of course.
queve
11/28/2010 06:59 PM (UTC)
Sonya disagrees with this thread:

Just kidding.

ThePredator151 Wrote:

Very well said. I can totally see where you and Xia are coming from.

Personally, I think Kitana's best look ever was that of her MKSM render. It was absolutely stunning and warrior-like. Enough for me to think this woman with sexy make-up in her eyes was serious business.

As bland as her MK2 look is, for some reason I DO love the way they played with it in the comics. I think it was the way they used the colors and shadows + the wavy messy hair.

Brilliant. I wish she had that hairstyle from the comics. It suits her the best. Very wavy and messy. But I'm also a big fan of the MKDA hair (which is my favorite).

Or even the Talisa Soto look. That's also a good image of Kitana, imo (costume wise and hairstyle). Maybe have her hair like in MKDA but 100% braids.

Anyway, while I agree with your views, I don't think the new look is that "totally 100% unfitting" imo.
Shadaloo
About Me
MK Khronology: 58.49% complete...
11/28/2010 07:11 PM (UTC)
I think people are overreacting in regards to Sonya's dress a bit, but I'll agree that Kitana's far too sexualized. But since she's been seen in chains at the foot of Kahn's throne, well, there might be your plot reasoning. I don't think for a second her character's going to be assassinated: She won't be dressed like this because she wants to be. Kahn's likely dressed her like this because skimpy clothes for his female warriors is the norm, or to humiliate her.

A warning to Jade fans: When/if she's revealed, don't be surprised if we get more of the same. I've prepared myself for it. If skimpy dress for Kahn's lady warriors is the norm, then, yeah... (not that she wasn't already wearing very little in Deception).

As for the wink....ehhh. It's a wink. When you're 10,000 years old and one of the best warriors around, I'd say you're allowed a few moments of smugness, memories intact or no. She hasn't been turned into a geisha girl or anything: her opening quote is "You will learn respect!"after all.

I'm going to wait and see before I judge.
T-rex
About Me

11/28/2010 07:17 PM (UTC)
queve Wrote:
Personally, I think Kitana's best look ever was that of her MKSM render. It was absolutely stunning and warrior-like. Enough for me to think this woman with sexy make-up in her eyes was serious business.

Oh,man,I hated that one.

The bun always was and forever will be the most horrendously awful hairstyle she ever had. It just looks ugly,there's no way around it. Makes her look like some kind of fucking 1940s old maid elementary school teacher. Ugh. The ribbons make it look a little more bearable,but not by much.

Wasn't too hot on the stripperrific eye makeup,either.

Worst of all,MKSM for some reason really made me realize how bare-bones her outfit really is. I mean,all it is is a one-piece bikini. Maybe if she had the flowing mane of hair she's supposed to normally have,it'd mask that simplicity by introducing a flowing element to her appearance. I reckon that's why they had to throw in those hair ribbons.
Siroj
About Me

11/28/2010 07:28 PM (UTC)
Shadaloo Wrote:
A warning to Jade fans: When/if she's revealed, don't be surprised if we get more of the same. I've prepared myself for it. If skimpy dress for Kahn's lady warriors is the norm, then, yeah... (not that she wasn't already wearing very little in Deception).

Yeah, it's going to be quite the accomplishment if they can come up with a costume that's even skimpier than her Deception outfit. tongue

Although this fanart seems to get the job done: Skimpy Jade Outfit wow (Hmm, this forum is unlike any I'm used to working with... how do I get links to work?)
NS922
About Me
11/28/2010 08:31 PM (UTC)
Siroj Wrote:
(Hmm, this forum is unlike any I'm used to working with... how do I get links to work?)

For pictures, type in:

[img src= (insert image)]

For web links, type in [a href= (insert link)](Clickable part of link)[/a]
Replace [ and ] with < and >

And yeah, that costume is VERY skimpy.
Mojo6 Wrote:
Jaded-Raven Wrote:
There is no such thing as female dignity. Women will do anything to achieve their goals. Mortal Kombat just exploits that knowledge to the fullest.

I sincerely hope you're being sarcastic here. Seriously.

As far as the dignity piece goes...it's obvious that Netherrealm opted to hyper-sexualize the latest revealed 3 women, all of which have varying degrees of plausible justification for walking around next to naked. The biggest offender, Kitana, is really the only one I'd suggest re-thinking. From a design standpoint alone, I actually think it's a sexy design for a female fighter and don't understand all of the "uninspired" and "lazy" labels that have been thrown around for months now. I do agree however that while Kitana's harem-girl assassin isn't a terrible design by itself, it's pretty unfitting of Kitana.

I would've rather seen a combination of stealth-assassin armor (with some skin and cleavage of course) instead of the draping flows of the harem-girl. Of course, preserving Kitana's color scheme and trademark mask and fans...but more along the lines of:

Who is this?
NS922
About Me
11/28/2010 08:49 PM (UTC)
Who is this?

Magic Condom Woman.
MrHoppyX
11/28/2010 08:52 PM (UTC)
Can't take that costume seriously. Flip flops are dumb even on ninjas.
MrHoppyX Wrote:

It provides for maximum mobility of the feet since boots are heavier.

And as for thsi thread? Man I cant wait until more character models that got a total revamping like Kitanas are released and you all continue to flip your shits
skyboy
About Me

11/28/2010 11:39 PM (UTC)
ThePredator151 Wrote:
Then there's this whole thing about where something happened to her memory. I'm like, okay cool... but that still isn't going to insta-change you into knowing, or behaving, or dressing like royalty.

Your whole post was very nice, I thought you made some really nice points... except here lol. I refuse to believe her memory was changed or she was under a spell. I am fully behind NRS with their direction for Kitana, aside from that.
QueenSindel(TheBitch)
11/29/2010 12:28 AM (UTC)
Since Kitana The Thief stole Jade's primary costume, I'm hoping they'll use the alternate ninja costume for Jade instead. I loved it and would love to see and update. I hope the pigtails return.

But yeah, really tired of Kitana stealing moves and now outfits from other characters. What's next?
MrHoppyX
11/29/2010 12:57 AM (UTC)
MrHoppyX Wrote:

I don't mean for practical reasons. If you want to talk about that, then what of the flappy slappy flip flop sounds when you're creeping up behind someone to ninja them?

I'm concerned with the fact that flip flops look like total balls. On topic, wearing them is "undignified".
StatueofLiberty
11/29/2010 01:07 AM (UTC)

Real ninjas wear Nikes.
MrHoppyX
11/29/2010 01:11 AM (UTC)
StatueofLiberty Wrote:

Real ninjas wear Nikes.

:) I agree.
Icebaby
11/29/2010 02:38 AM (UTC)
QueenSindel(TheBitch) Wrote:
Since Kitana The Thief stole Jade's primary costume, I'm hoping they'll use the alternate ninja costume for Jade instead. I loved it and would love to see and update. I hope the pigtails return.

But yeah, really tired of Kitana stealing moves and now outfits from other characters. What's next?

A.) Kitana never stole anything. The developers made her that way. If anything, blame them, not Kitana herself.

B.) I don't see similarities between Jade's Deception costume and Kitana's costume in this game other than they're bikini outfits with a long loincloth in front. The tops are completely different and the bottoms have different straps. Their leggings (or whatever you call them) are also stylized differently. There's really no similarities between them other than what I stated.

C.) I don't see what other costumes Kitana stole. What? She stole Mileena's primary from Deception? Ehh, Kitana was never in it, the only appearance that she had was in Sindel's and Ermac's ending, and since Mileena's main objective was to clearly steal Kitana's identity, I'm pretty sure Kitana had that outfit first, then Mileena.

Kitana's appearance in MKDA, I don't see any other female character wearing that same thing.

Kitana's appearance in MK Gold... yeah I still don't see any other character wearing that same exact outfit.

Yeap, she's a thief all righty.
Skaven13
11/29/2010 04:23 AM (UTC)
ThePredator151 Wrote:
skyboy Wrote:
ThePredator151 Wrote:
So what's this design and that ridiculous *wink* thing telling me? It's screaming "This MK9 Kitana does not have the original concept in mind at all...This Kitana is not an assassin, she just a plain ol princess that may have learned how to use sex-appeal as a weapon".
Which, from my understanding of things, was pretty much Mileena's gig since she was updated in MKD (and even heavily implied here in this game according to the mortal kombat game's website). But apparantly, EVERY female has to have this "sex as a weapon" thing going on. Again, I have yet to see someone adequately state why these costumes are justified and good, and fitting for Kitana and Sonya's personalities that have been developed over the years.
MrHoppyX Wrote:
MrHoppyX Wrote:

I don't mean for practical reasons. If you want to talk about that, then what of the flappy slappy flip flop sounds when you're creeping up behind someone to ninja them?

I'm concerned with the fact that flip flops look like total balls. On topic, wearing them is "undignified".

Well they arent barefoot, they are wearing that cloth or stocking or whatever they wear on their feet and they arent those obnoxious flip flops that you buy for $5 at Wal Mart. Im assuming the sandals that those ninjas wear are specifically designed for their feet to allow them for maximum mobility like I said without them having to wear heavy boots or shoes. The alternative would them being barefoot which im assuming would be uncomfortable
RSK1980
11/29/2010 05:13 AM (UTC)
There are going to be people who want to be nostalgic and others more open to new things. I'm the latter of the two and I like the females new looks (I'm happy Sonya looks like a woman). There isn't a way for everyone to be happy, but I'm personally pleased they did something different with Kitana than in previous games. I think she needed a big change. As far as the complaints (for some) regarding her winning pose, I take it as she is winking at the player saying "we did it" thanks for helping me continue my quest. I don't take as her being cute, but perhaps I'm looking too deep into it. lol
Icebaby
11/29/2010 05:58 AM (UTC)
RSK1980 Wrote:
There are going to be people who want to be nostalgic and others more open to new things. I'm the latter of the two and I like the females new looks (I'm happy Sonya looks like a woman). There isn't a way for everyone to be happy, but I'm personally pleased they did something different with Kitana than in previous games. I think she needed a big change. As far as the complaints (for some) regarding her winning pose, I take it as she is winking at the player saying "we did it" thanks for helping me continue my quest. I don't take as her being cute, but perhaps I'm looking too deep into it. lol

Yeah, there will always be a group of people that will despise Mortal Kombat because their needs were not met.

If everyone, and I truly emphasize on everyone, was to be pleased with Mortal Kombat, they would have to design the game for themselves. Every individual creating their own specific Mortal Kombat game that has their taste buds running like crazy is the only way that everyone will be satisfied.

Unfortunately, game companies do not do that to their fans, so we have to sit and wait to see what they're working on. And as far as I know, you'll get people who are pleased and then you'll get people who are not pleased.

I am truly pleased with what I see, despite that on this site it might not look like it, but I am truly pleased with the way this game is turning out. I don't like several things I've been seeing but I gotta deal with that so I might as well get used to some of the things that I dislike. The developers cannot win and please us all. So I just put my feet up on my desk, if I had a Mike's Hard right now I'd be drinking it and just let the information fly into my face.

Ahh... unfortunately it's too late to get a good drink on and I'm still underage to buy it so... Schucks.
I know people are upset about the primary costumes but I would like to at least see what the alternates are. I mean if it turns out that Kitana and Sonya have alternate costumes that classic like their original costumes would you people be happy about it?
T-rex
About Me

11/29/2010 06:27 AM (UTC)
I know people are upset about the primary costumes but I would like to at least see what the alternates are. I mean if it turns out that Kitana and Sonya have alternate costumes that classic like their original costumes would you people be happy about it?

Yeah,I would be.

I would be even happier if these potentially awesome alts actually became their primaries instead. I think we had a couple of precedents like that already.
Mick-Lucifer
About Me

What do you like? Hit the Toasty thumbs up on articles and forum posts for a quick response!
11/29/2010 07:44 AM (UTC)

Personally, I'd like something good for a change. tongue
~Crow~
11/29/2010 08:43 AM (UTC)
I never once said the old costumes were marvels. Like Mick, I would like something decent instead of "classic rehash".
Download on the App StoreGet it on Google Play
© 1998-2024 Shadow Knight Media, LLC. All rights reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Mortal Kombat, the dragon logo and all character names are trademarks and copyright of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.