Site Network Movies Fan Submission Community Media Games News
There are 0 users online.
Username: Password: Save:
MK Online    Kommunity    Show Message
Join MK Online Free or become a Flawless Member for special benefits.
MK Online Site Updates
  • November 20th, 2018
    Rumor: Spanish Voice Actor Exits Unannounced MK Game [Read On]
  • November 8th, 2018
    Kung Lao and the Scorpions - Music and Interview! [Read On]
  • October 30th, 2018
    Pics and Video from Shang Tsung's Fight Night 2018 [Read On]
  • October 26th, 2018
    Prepare Yourself: Shang Tsung's Fight Night & MKO Meet & Greet [Read On]
  • October 16th, 2018
    Tomorrow’s MKO Twitch Stream to feature speedrunning champ, Outworld! [Read On]

MK Online User Poll

Kombat Kon 2018?
Get over here! (57.1%)
Out of kredits. (42.8%)

Forum Listings

Site Themes
You must be logged in to
select themes.

MKO on Twitter

Mortal Kombat (2011)

Discussing Mortal Kombat (2011) and Komplete Edition (2012).
Page of 1

Mick-LuciferPosted: 02/16/2011 09:58 AMStatus ::
PlayStation Blog Discusses Making of Killer Fatalities

Steve Beran has been contributing to the Mortal Kombat series since 1995's MK3. As a Director of Art, Beran has been responsible for collaborating on some of the goriest moments in the series' long history, for NetherRealm Studios' latest installment in the long running series, Mortal Kombat.

In a new blog for PlayStation.com, Beran is taking fans inside the process with a special look at the conceptual gestation of a finishing move. It's a probing follow-up to similar material feature in January's IGN exclusive Inside the X-Ray featurette. [full story]

Liu Kang: A Real Heartbreaker!

With an emphasis on redirecting the series toward it's graphically violent origins, Beran reveals the unprecedent priority fatalities have taken in the construction of Mortal Kombat, in 2011. The process has allowed the team maximum opportunity to create a guaranteed two fatalities per character, with ample opportunity to design and polish the finished product. Modern technologies mean fatalities are now an increasingly elaborate and graphic opportunity to punish and humiliate opponents -- a fact NetherRealm Studios has relished in the making of this game.

The blog describes the importance of every stage of the process, with scrutiny given to the ideas phase, right up to sound design. Included are pictures of Ed Boon's now famous stick figure storyboards, this time detailing Scorpion's sword fatality. Also featured is the plunging stage fatality famously associated with The Pit, as well as another look at Liu Kang's exploding fist fatality, which was featured in both wallpaper artwork, and the recent Liu Kang character vignette (performed on Shang Tsung).

You can find the exclusive blog, along with it's copyrighted pictures, on PlayStation.com. In the blog, Beran also promises the opportunity to glimpse a preview of more fatality action if you pre-order the game via Gamestop. Those who pre-order the game will be provided a code to enter into their MK widget, revealing more lethal finishers!

Mortal Kombat is available April 19 for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, in regular and kollector's special editions. All versions of the PS3 game will include the exclusively playable bonus character, Kratos, from Sony's immensely popular God of War series [full story]. PS3 owners are also privy to free "classic" Jade costume DLC [full story], if they buy Mortal Kombat (1995) or Mortal Kombat: Annihilation, released on Blu-Ray April 19!

BezouPosted: 02/16/2011 09:58 AMStatus ::

Visits::15969
Nationality::Canada
RE: PlayStation Blog Discusses Making Killer Fatalities

Never cut Liu Kang off at second base.

MilaanaPosted: 02/16/2011 10:01 AMStatus ::

Visits::949
Nationality::Netherlands

You can find the exclusive blog, along with it's copyrighted pictures, on PlayStation.com. In the blog, Beran also promises the opportunity to glimpse a preview of more fatality action if you pre-order the game via Gamestop. Those who pre-order the game will be provided a code to enter into their MK widget, revealing more lethal finishers!

WHAT! I hope I don't understand this but does this mean that the gory bloody fatalities are only available for people that buy a pre-order????!!????

That is insane and very stupid... I would hate that!

Please tell me i'm wrong and stupid!

looktolalunaPosted: 02/16/2011 10:04 AMStatus ::

Visits::281
Nationality::United States

You're wrong, but not stupid.

Edit: to see the fatalities NOW before the game is released, you have to pre-order to get the code (for use on the widget).

Mick-LuciferPosted: 02/16/2011 10:10 AMStatus ::

Visits::20019

Milaana Wrote:

WHAT! I hope I don't understand this but does this mean that the gory bloody fatalities are only available for people that buy a pre-order????!!????

Pro-tip: You don't "glimpse a preview" in the final game. ;-P

You can just download a sneak peak vid if you pre-order the game.

Better The Devil you know...
MK Online Forums: Share your interests, broaden your horizons and support the kommunity with discussion forums for every topic. "Ask not what your country can do for you - ask what you can do for your country."
quevePosted: 02/16/2011 10:35 AMStatus ::

Visits::4110
Nationality::Bolivia

Very nice read!

Thanks for the news lead.

PS: I still hope we get to see magic and fantasy in our Fatalities. Enough with the hand/weapon dismemberment and bring on the magic, Chi, and Energy along side awesome special effects.

Friendship?Posted: 02/16/2011 10:40 AMStatus ::

Visits::733

Hmmm... Didn't that mean to read, "we devised several cut points and lazily created every single fatality around them, despite taking extensive time to create skin, muscle and internal organs" ... ?

:P

I'd like to have faith, but not one single fatality I've seen so far has demonstrated otherwise. Very bad effort NRS. And trying to cover with some "we're under a marketting contract" BS to get out of showing further generic cut point nonsense before release. Bad show.

looktolalunaPosted: 02/16/2011 10:44 AMStatus ::

Visits::281

Yeah, the most blatant example of using the predertermined cut points instead of customizing the model a bit as they should, is Cyrax's net fatality. Hundreds of little squares only to have the body fall in like six different pieces. WTF!

BezouPosted: 02/16/2011 10:46 AMStatus ::

Visits::15969
Nationality::Canada

True. Their new skeletal model with the internal organs and 12 places capable of being sliced is really just the newest version of 47 ribcages, popcorn and suddenly appearing skeletons (thanks MKvsDC).

*sings*

"If you cut every corner you'll have more time for play...it's the American way."

seanayPosted: 02/16/2011 10:55 AMStatus ::

Visits::9288
Nationality::United Kingdom

boring.... The Graphics don't seem that impressive in this picture :(

ShaolinChuanPosted: 02/16/2011 01:15 PMStatus ::

Visits::14903

The one thing this franchise is best known for is getting very little publicity.

I wish we'd get a fatality teaser trailer, or a couple full blown fatalities. The main focus on this game is gameplay and they've nailed it down right perfect, but we still need to see some fatalities without some stupid preorder codes.

I am dying in anticipation to see Liu's dragon bite fatality.

mkdfanPosted: 02/16/2011 01:24 PMStatus ::

Visits::8536
Nationality::England

A bit of a dull fatality but hey it's Liu Kang.
His dragon one will be much better I imagine.

Disco_DivaPosted: 02/16/2011 01:35 PMStatus ::

Visits::809

ShaolinChuan Wrote:

I wish we'd get a fatality teaser trailer, or a couple full blown fatalities. The main focus on this game is gameplay and they've nailed it down right perfect, but we still need to see some fatalities without some stupid preorder codes.

No. That's like saying a movie trailer should put up it's ending. It was annoying as fuck when Resident Evil: Apocalypse did it (especially since that also was the preview clip).

WandererPosted: 02/16/2011 02:27 PMStatus ::

Visits::3454
Nationality::Antarctica

Some of you guys asking for some Fatality clips know that they've been floating around for a while, right? They've been demonstrated numerous times at public showings for the available characters at the time.

xXxEmperorShaoKahnXxXPosted: 02/16/2011 02:57 PMStatus ::

Visits::536

Maybe I was the only one to notice, but did anyone catch the floor design in the picture shown? I can' say I recall what level that may be. Maybe closer to the training stage shown in a couple of the MKasts?

Sig By MINION
TheGeckoPosted: 02/16/2011 05:08 PMStatus ::

Visits::1501

im hoping that liu kangs punch through the chest actually shows a hole in the chest when he pulls out, remember when li mei did the foot through the gut fatality and there was no whole? XD
same in MKSM when johnny kicked a hole through goro

MKO sig 2
Friendship?Posted: 02/16/2011 05:12 PMStatus ::

Visits::733

Not gonna be happy with Liu's fatality unless we get this level of detail, and some background through a HOLE:

http://neonindaylight.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/death_becomes_her.jpg

MINIONPosted: 02/16/2011 05:39 PMStatus ::

Visits::11469

cool.

Groundbreaking Debut | You[Tube] | deviantART | Twitter
samuhaiPosted: 02/16/2011 06:29 PMStatus ::

Visits::3080
Nationality::Australia
RE: PlayStation Blog Discusses Making of Killer Fatalities

What's with all the negative nanciness about Liu's fatality?

I think that picture is sweeeeeet. Huge spray of blood and fire and explodeyness. Will have to wait to see it all but that pic is great.

It's very annoying to have to preorder through gamestop (how the heck am I supposed to do that from Australia), but remember, it'll end up on youtube before too long

Photobucket
WilHiteWarriorPosted: 02/16/2011 10:45 PMStatus ::

Visits::1471

I hope the trees in the living forest can eat people again like on Shaolin Monks. Only being able to do that on the wimpy, mindless zombie enemies that were around was such a waste for such a cool fatality

For we are saved by hope: but hope that is seen is not hope: for what a man seeth, why doth he yet hope for? - Romans 8:24
ThePredator151Posted: 02/16/2011 11:23 PMStatus ::

Visits::1551

Cool synopsis of the process.

I wonder if they ever do something like take a ballot of ideas from all the members on the team. Like maybe have everyone write a short paragraph or two about an idea they think would be good for a fatality or special moves... etc.

I like how they're plugging away at all the stuff you can buy too. Pre-Order, DLC, extra codes... the whole thing looks a hell of alot better than when they were with Midway.

Best tid-bit from the Article:

"Additionally, we wanted to make sure there were a ton of fatalities for all of the iconic warriors in the game (with two fatalities, minimum, for every character) as well as fatalities for some of the dynamic environments. There is a looot of content for players to uncover – and we finally had plenty of time to build it all!

Yea, sweetness...

The Ultimate Mortal Kombat Experience
- Lead Graphic Designer - Mortal Kombat Online -

:G-play :Story :F-Design :Cutout :Get Sig :Raiden :Fans [1] [2] :#LegendaryArts
Page of 1

© 1998-2018 Mortal Kombat Online. All rights reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Mortal Kombat, the dragon logo and all character names are trademarks and copyright of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.