Garladors KOTW - Week 7 - Reptile Discussion
posted01/14/2013 10:56 PM (UTC)by
Garlador
With the force of a thousand suns and the love of a thousand kittens, I, Garlador, return from my dark nether vortex of agony and despair to beam down a light of enlightenment upon the shrouded masses!

So, with Sheeva, Nightwolf, Mileena, Smoke, Shang Tsung, and Stryker taken care of, we now turn our eyes to Mortal Kombat's favorite cold-blooded iguana-man!

Come on out, Reptile. It's okay. The fans won't bite....

(But Reptile might... like, a lot. Nom nom nom.)

WHO IS REPTILE?
Reptile is a mysterious, green-clad ninja warrior lizard that served Shao Kahn in exchange for the chance to repopulate his dying race of lizard people.

Reptile's primary role in the over-arching story and gameplay department, though, is to pad the games' rosters out with a reliable punching bag who's obviously evil because he's obviously ugly.

(You are ugly and unnatural to my eyes, therefore you are evil and must die!)

Reptile began as Shang Tsung's personal bodyguard and spy, who secretly watched the Earthrealm heroes from afar and reported their actions back to his master. In the new game, he just flat out attacks them right out in the open, and his camouflage is better used by Sektor instead (who can't even use it in gameplay... huh...).

Reptile later got "promoted" to just being an assassin under Kahn's employ who in MK3 was tasked with hunting down the rogue Kitana after she killed her sister and ran away. But, as we know in this game, the whole Kitana/Mileena backstory went out the window, and Reptile's role of hunting her down to answer for her crimes went out the window along with it...

(So, yes, even Reptile's story got screwed over by this unnecessary and poorly done retcon...)

They say war is all a matter of perspective, and since Story Mode was just the heroes' perspective, Reptile was seen as little more than a mindless monster in a parade of freakshow creatures for our handsome, beautiful heroes to pummel. Reptile's purpose in this game was to be a good generic villain to get defeated and get defeated often, a role he performed with Oscar-winning dedication.

WHY IS REPTILE IN THE SERIES?
Reptile is popular for many reasons. Reason number 1? Well, it's the same reason most popular characters in MK are popular.

(He's a NINJA!!!)

But then there's the second reason. We all know that there is an unspoken rule that every single fighting game franchise at some point has to have a fighting lizard man. It's just accepted fact.

(Every... game... has... lizards....)

Okay, so maybe the real reason for Reptile's popularity is that Reptile began life as fighting games' first ever hidden fighter. Periodically, he'd spring onto the scene, yell some cryptic clues about how to find him (in both English and Spanish...), and then flip away as ninjas are known to do. He became the urban legend of playground discussion, the Holy Grail of secrets for arcade-champions to seek, the vaunted Bigfoot of rumors and myth, sought after but so rarely found. Reptile became larger than life.

And, sure enough, you found and fought him at the bottom of the pit. Reptile was so named because he was GREEN, like a reptile.

(well, okay, like SOME reptiles)

In reality, he was just a mash-up of Scorpion and Sub-Zero and colored green. But for MK2, the turned him into a real, full-on, cold-blooded lizard man disguised in human flesh that could spit acid and had a long, sticky tongue to eat your head with!

(you know, just like a frog... which is an amphibian and not a reptile... but you can't expect NRS to keep track of little details like that...)

From that point on, however, he started getting more and more reptilian, losing his humanity until they just stopped pretending it was the same dude playing all the ninjas and Reptile was going to go full-on scales and claws for future games, starting with his very reptilian look in MK4.

(but nobody rocked a pair of puffy purple pantaloons better)

He just kept getting uglier and more reptilian until it hit its apex in Deadly Alliance.

(I never thought I'd miss those poofy purple pants....)

For the new game, he's back to a semi-humanoid reptile look, which kinda works for me, apart from the beak mask.

(I'm sure they were going for a snapping turtle-ish beak... but, c'mon, that's like assuming everyone knows that duck bill you slapped on was a tribute to a platypus and not an actual, you know, duck)

REPTILE'S STORY-
Reptile is a surprisingly sympathetic villain. Unlike most of the villains that are out for power, conquest, or just plain killin', Reptile just wants to repopulate his nearly extinct race of Saurians.

("Saurians" are not affiliated with Sauron)

So, unlike other villains, Reptile just wants to save his race... and find a nice Saurian lady to settle down and raise some eggs together with. So, like Johnny Cage, he's basically motivated by sex.

(And to be fair, Khameleon is a surprisingly hot see-thru ninja lizard woman)

Unfortunately for Reptile, his blind ambition to save his race at all costs has him constantly casting his lot in with the LOSING side... and also the side that has practically zero interest in actually doing what he wants them to do. So, from Shang Tsung to Shao Kahn to Shinnok to Quan Chi to... everyone... he always is promised that chance to finally save his people, only for the villain to always yank the chance away from him at the last second.

(Reptile's life, in a nutshell)

Some people interpret him as being too stupid to know better, while others decided he's just so driven by selfless desires to keep his people alive that he'll do anything, no matter how evil or illogical. Of course, the MK team decided that he was BOTH stupid AND driven and started changing him into a primal, drooling moron that was easily duped and misled. It was the complete OPPOSITE of good character evolution.

(I mean that in the most literal way possible)

Reptile, who once started as such a fearsome secret character, become more and more of an awkward joke, that smelly, racist, mentally challenged uncle at the villains' family gatherings they sort of were embarrassed to be seen in public with. Finally, they just decided to say "screw it" and pointed him in a general direction and told him to keep walking until something interesting happened.

("Don't worry... I'm sure this will keep him out of trouble...")

After Nitara used him for her own purposes (sensing a trend here), Reptile coincidentally bumped into the Dragon Egg, which hatched, and he was possessed and turned into the almighty Dragon King, Onaga!

(Shang fed him a lot of Rare Candies)

After that, Reptile sort of stopped being Reptile since Onaga had taken over his body for Deception... and at the end of the game was booted out and Reptile went back to... er, being an entirely useless filler lizard man character.

(Only Armageddon had TWO useless lizard men. Top THAT, Soul Calibur!)

Like everyone else, Reptile had hit a dead end. So, like Batman, James Bond, Spider-man, and every single Horror movie by Michael Bay, it was time to panic and hit the magic "Reboot" button.

(this remains the only ReBoot I love)

So, what would NRS do now? They totally beefed up the story, characterization, and interest in nearly every character from Stryker to Kabal to Smoke... so, what would we get with the new rebooted Reptile?

A once prominent, popular, powerful character was reduced to a weak, mewling joke that nobody, even amongst his friends, gave two craps about.

(They turned him into YAMCHA!)

He pretty much had no story. He had no characterization. He was just a punching bag wheeled out when the plot needed punching up. He lacked fear, intimidation, or impact. Reptile, sadly, had been rendered toothless and no longer had the "bite" he once had.

So sadly Reptile's plot and characterization had become as primitive and one-dimensional as his de-evolved form had been in prior games.

I find it amusing that Reptile in MK1 was actually the ONLY character to speak (in two different languages, even!), offering clues in complete, articulate sentences and offering multiple dialogue hints throughout the game, and now in the NEW game he's the only standard character NOT to speak at all!

More so than that, Reptile, the powerful, fearsome hidden fighter of MK1, was actually the FIRST one eliminated in the tournament, and by a guy that wasn't even aware he was fighting for his life while goofing off to impress the nearest pair of boobs.

(Something might be wrong when THIS random bland guy in the back lasts longer in the MK tournament than the once-mighty Reptile...)

Despite that, he still did have his moments (such as scaling the building, dodging gunshots, and melting bullets with his acid), and it feels good to do a KOTW over a character that actually LIVED to see the ending.

(He still has so much more growing as a character to do, but I'll let him enjoy the small victories when they come along)

REPTILE'S FUTURE-
Again, as mentioned, Reptile HAS a future (unlike 50% of the cast), so where they take him is anyone's guess!

Oh, no, that's right. Shinnok's coming up again, isn't he? And Reptile, by his lackey nature, will probably align himself with Shinnok... again. Because he's a lackey and that's what lackeys do, logic be damned.

(Damn your logic!)

Maybe NRS will surprise me, though. Reptile, for instance, has one of the most interesting support characters in the game in the form of Khameleon, who is unabashedly a smart, intelligent, clever, and entirely GOOD character with pure motives that has sought to find, redeem, and possibly mingle zygotes with Reptile ever since she bumped into him.

(I can't wait to see Khameleon and Reptile's kids, named in traditional NRS fashion: Lizard and Alligator - or Liz and Al to their friends)

Sadly, who knows WHAT'S going on with Khameleon, since even SHE was ignored in the "include everyone - including MEAT" Armageddon in favor of the utterly pointless "Chameleon" instead. She's still mentioned here than there, but I'm not banking on her showing up to spice up Reptile's bland sex life and story life anytime soon.

So, on his own, Reptile is still stuck in the exact same storyline he's had since MK2... and Mk3... and MK4... and Deadly Alliance... and Armageddon... I'd say nobody needs a kick in the pants more than Reptile. They turned Liu Kang into a zombie, turned Raiden into Dark Raiden, and they even turned Sub-Zero into a robot, and I'd say none of those changes were needed. But Reptile? Something needs to happen with him. He's not exactly bad; he's reliable, convenient, and dependably bland for any and all story-round matches... but as a stand-alone character, who has been in nearly EVERY game for over 15 years, he's gotten about as much character development as Stormtrooper #631.

("You know, Larry, I'm actually a human being... with complex feelings and emotions. I like classical music. I have a puppy named Mister Barkington. I'm in love with Nancy from Sector 3H. I have dreams and goals in my life. And yet, when I put on this helmet, I feel like I just don't matter...")

Reptile is the ultimate stagnating character. He's not bad, he's not good. He just exists, filling in roster space and never evolving into anything remotely interesting, even when those opportunities arise. Other characters shift and change and metamorphosize into new people, new creations, but not Reptile. On one hand, given NRS track record with characters, that prevents him from a spiraling fall from grace that angers the fans, but at the same time, he's pretty much a waste of story space that somehow gets into every game while genuinely interesting characters like Fujin, Sareena, and Tanya are forced to sit out because they weren't lucky enough to be invented during the "golden" era like Reptile was.

But maybe your opinion is different. Maybe you think Reptile HAS changed for the better. Maybe you think the 2011 version is his best appearance yet! Do you like his story? Like his look? Do you think he's just fine as is? Or do you want him to do something else? Do you prefer his human form over his reptilian appearances? Do you think Khameleon is a character worth dragging into his life? Do you think he serves the lackey role perfectly, or would you like him to be more independent?

Sound off! Let's hear what people have to say about MK's original hidden fighter. And let me know who I should cover next!

Alright people. It was fun. Garlador out.
KingBellsprout
09/17/2011 01:02 AM (UTC)
Reptile's Story = Boring

Reptile's Gameplay = Amazingly fun.

That pretty much sums it up in a nutshell.

Oh and..... NEVER AGAIN DO I WANT TO SEE HIS HORRIFIC MK4 COSTUME.
mkwhopper
09/17/2011 01:07 AM (UTC)
Thank you Garlador for your hilarious and awesome threads. You forgot about Yoshi in that Lizard comp. pic
[Killswitch]
About Me

Shao Kahn did nothing wrong

09/17/2011 01:15 AM (UTC)
Garlador Wrote:

(you know, just like a frog... which is an amphibian, but not a reptile... but you can't expect NRS to keep track of little details like that...)

A chameleon. Just sayin..
Garlador
09/17/2011 01:42 AM (UTC)
[Killswitch] Wrote:
Garlador Wrote:

(you know, just like a frog... which is an amphibian, but not a reptile... but you can't expect NRS to keep track of little details like that...)

Or Gene Simmons...
[Killswitch]
About Me

Shao Kahn did nothing wrong

09/17/2011 01:44 AM (UTC)
Garlador Wrote:
[Killswitch] Wrote:
Garlador Wrote:

Or Gene Simmons...

Touché pussycat.
KungLaodoesntsuck
09/17/2011 02:05 AM (UTC)
Yes Garlador thank you for the laughs. I found your post very amusing. I laughed especially hard at Reptile's life in a hard shell. And stormtrooper #631
Rockchalk5477
09/17/2011 02:15 AM (UTC)
Spot-on review. I don't dislike him, but I've never cared that much for him. He's....stagnant, pretty much. A perennial lackey with no established personality.

Please, NRS, make him an interesting character come the next installment.

They worked wonders with Nightwolf (who I used to dislike greatly), so they should get crackin' and work their Nightwolf magic on Reptile.
KuaiLiang
About Me

PSN: manu_erizo
09/17/2011 02:49 AM (UTC)
I totally lost it at "They turned him into YAMCHA", and I started laughing out loud, probably looking like an idiot.

Good job.
Insider2000
About Me

Keep dunking your Kenshi breadsticks into your Skarlet sauce, people! The main course isn't coming for a while, and you never know when it's going to be disappointing.

09/17/2011 03:59 AM (UTC)
I've often said that Reptile is my fourth favorite MK character, and I still stand by that to an extent. Him and Sonya are pretty much on even terms, so it's hard to pick between the two.

I really like Reptile, despite my hatred of fighting him. Seriously. Want to know how to defeat Insider2000's Stryker? Pick Reptile, and you've got a damn good shot! Such is why I have to secondary main Cyber Sub-Zero.

Majority of my love for Reptile is sympathy. That Charlie Brown analogy is perfect, because that is completely what he is.

I've always had this vision of Reptile being cruelly treated. Shao Kahn, Shang Tsung, Quan Chi, and Shinnok all putting up with him, even though they have no intention of helping him in any way. His fellow equals, belittling him. And even as a ruthless killer, I kind of felt bad for him. He only wants his people back, and no one wants to grant him that request. He's lost.

I really hope something good comes for him. I'm hoping he just snaps, beats the shit out of whoever he is currently working for/with, and maybe become neutral like Scorpion, or even a Defender.

I'm probably one of the few who likes Reptile not being human. I agree that his MK4 and MKDA designs were awful, but I just think him looking human is stupid. There has been concept art that shows that Reptile can be a ninja and a reptile, and look totally bad ass.

I just hope there's a future for Reptile, along with a lot of characters who didn't get much of a chance in this game.
Jerrod
About Me
MKO Moderator, Story Writer, Actor
Signature by Pred
09/17/2011 05:03 AM (UTC)
Ahh, Reptile, the dumbest character in the entire series. I got to be honest, I hate being in the minority about how awesome his MK4/MKG costume is. Seriously, I think it captured the whole lizard-man concept the best out of all his costumes, and makes him look less lackey-like. Even under Shinnok, he was promoted to General, so that at least implied he had some kind of intelligence... Or Shinnok took pity on him...
Shinnok: Awww, look at him, Quan Chi! I always wanted my own Zaterran! Can we keep him? Please please please please?
Quan Chi: Okay, Shinnok, but you have to feed him and walk him every day.
Shinnok: Thank you honey! I'll call him General Reptile, and I'll love him until he starts becoming a demanding little shit!
Reptile: Meh, it beats going to the Cobalt Mines! tongue
Looking at that passage with him being judged, it's striking that he says to Sindel before he's judged that he's proud he served Shao Kahn... It almost implies that despite his "noble" intentions, he doesn't mind being a bad guy. Not unlike Bi-Han with his whole Mythologies story.
Anyway, Reptile had no story in this game. He was just the random grunt people got to fight, along with Baraka. Despite being shown rather often for fight sequences, his role in this reboot has been completely erased, and a sense of what he's fighting for is never mentioned in the story mode. He's one of the few bad guys with a reason that's beyond ruling and conquering, arguably the most noble of the villains, yet he went from a protector and assassin on a mission to a placeholder for a generic grunt. I really don't like that, and don't like the fact that despite losing every single fight, he is one of the few to actually live. Odds are he'll just join Shinnok for shits and giggles now.
m0s3pH
About Me

Mortal Kombat Online - Community Manager

| Twitch | YouTube | Lawful Chaos |

Signature and avatar by ThePredator151

09/17/2011 05:11 AM (UTC)
I've basically resorted to playing the "I laugh, I lose" game with these posts.

I lost at "REPTILE is evolving!"

Anyway, you're spot-on, as usual. Reptile needs changes and he needs them now. Good turn would be best for him, in my opinion.
Keith
09/17/2011 09:34 AM (UTC)
In the old timeline, I was becoming quite interested in Reptile as he started to ditch the ninja look in MK4 and by Deadly Alliance, he'd become a favourite. Since then, he's dropped from the list again since they haven't been able to let go of his 'ninja' roots and dumb-as-shit storylines. In MK9 he has a worse story and a worse look than ever. But he's never been more fun to play as.

God damm it.
Nephrite
09/17/2011 11:19 AM (UTC)
REPTILE:

Gameplay: glasses

Story: sleep

Design: sleep

Never cared about him and I still don't. He looked best in MK4 and MKSM imo. The only reason why I wouldn't mind seeing him back is his gameplay which truly is great. It's funny, I don't enjoy playing with him, he just doesn't work for me, but I love watching pros play him.

Oh and, his win pose is annoying as hell. furious
daryui
About Me
09/17/2011 03:43 PM (UTC)
The only Reptile I liked was in MKDA.

I wonder if they are still going to use that De-evolution storyline.
Thatoneguy
09/17/2011 07:28 PM (UTC)
I liked him human, with the lizard underneath. Made him mysterious to me for some reason.

I do think Khameleon should be back in his life, but at the same time I want him to be Lone Wolf, so I'm confused on that one. Also, Garlandor, I agree on every point you made.

tongue
Zatterianwarrior
09/17/2011 09:04 PM (UTC)
That was an enjoyable read Garlador but if I may nitpick I think Reptile is interested more in having his race resurrected than reproducing them himself, lol.

I agree with you on his story, though he remains one of my favorites, his story has not been too interesting for quite a while now and this game to be honest kinda plunged him down to new lows. We did not even hear his voice much less see any personality from him, also I'm glad you pointed out how quickly he was eliminated in the first tournament. It should have been Reptile and not Kitana that tried to assassinate Liu Kang but I guess the lame Kang/Kitana "romance" took precedence. I kind of wish this was retconned instead of the previous Kitana/Mileena storyline but that is for another time.

Reptile's look in this game is excellent (both outfits) but then again Reptile has rarely failed to impress (cough...MK4...cough) imo. His gameplay is even better, quite an enjoyable experience actually.

I sincerely hope that for once his future does not go the lackey route, with Shinnok on the horizon there will certainly be casting calls for lackey roles but I can see Reptile turning away. With earthrealm's forces depleted maybe Raiden can be the one to offer Reptile his desired goal of his race being reformed to persuade him to work against Shinnok. But then again given Reptile's treatment in story mode (punching bag) Raiden might want Reptile to join Shinnok afterall, lol.
Shinomune
09/18/2011 12:15 PM (UTC)
Reptile is simply awful. The only way to turn him better, to exploit his fully potential, is that Khameleon (or Nitara, or a new kharacter) revealed to him his true name. Reptile is a generic-slave name from Shao Kahn, it's time that the last male saurian (f*ck Chameleon) drop his pawn-role, and if not a king-role, at least embraces a knight or bishop-role.
superbn0va
09/18/2011 01:06 PM (UTC)
i very much agree with you Garlador. you said it right and i hope NRS will notice your excellent posts.

story- lame
game-play- good
design- lame

and funny you noticed all this reptilians in video games, RARE games are full of them. games are illuminated :P
NoobSaibot5
09/18/2011 02:52 PM (UTC)
I quite liked the idea of him demanding Shang Tsung into revitalising his race in the Flesh Pits, but we all know that will never happen.

He's gone from being one of my favourite characters, to one of the most stagnant. There's literally nothing going for him anymore, it's been the same story for the last god knows how many years.

Serves a higher power in a desperate attempt to restore his race, gets beaten up by the good guys, gets let down by the bad guys, continues the same shit in the next game. At one point I'd argue that he deserved better than that, but now I'm not so sure. The only time he's ever shown balls in standing up for himself was with Shinnok in his own ending, and even at that he ended up having his head blown off. The rest of the time, he's happy to be a grunt. That or else NRS don't actually give a shit about Reptile or ever hope to see Reptile become anything else but the doormat the heroes wipe their feet with before standing on something else more important.

Ideally I'd like to see him become a lot more feral. He's a fuckin lizard, and lizards aren't the most obediant of pets to begin with. Rebellious Reptile is something I've wanted to see for ages, a character who's become that disheartened towards his peers and is that loathed by the forces of light that in his solitude, he becomes a bitter, coniving, dangerous wild card with no real allegiance to anyone. He could even discover the prophecy of the Dragon King before Quan Chi does and actively want to restore the Saurians through the Dragon King's power, blissfully unaware of the irony that restoring the King would result in him losing the will of his own body. Anything can happen with Reptile because he's such a blank slate at this point.

Maybe having Shao Khan die in this timeline will do Reptile a favour. In the past it's been stated by Khameleon that her attempts to contact Reptile almost resulted in her death, but with the Emporer out of the picture, it might make contact with him more easier. Likewise Nitara can now take advantage of the Emporer's death and step into the limelight, giving him leads about his past. It would just be nice to see SOME development in character.

Either way, I'm expecting nothing serious. He'll most likely stay a grunt for years to come.
TemperaryUserName
About Me
New sig on the way
09/18/2011 07:45 PM (UTC)
I understand Smoke has a KOTW thread; I just haven't had time to give the proper attention. I hardly ever here these days, but I do want to eventually hit up that thread.

A little trivia about myself: before Smoke was crowned by favorite character in video game fiction, Reptile was my original favorite. When I walked into Tilt arcade and encountered an UMK3 machine for the first time, I saw a guy using Reptile in Jade's desert, and I nearly screamed.

My days of Reptile fanboyism are about ten years over with, but I still appreciate him for what he is. Let's start out with the things I agree with.

1) He needed dialogue. His lack thereof was a clear attempt at cutting corners.

2) His motivations needed to be better explicated.

Other than that, Reptile's presence in the new game was rather charismatic. Every time I saw him, I felt like I knew exactly what he was thinking.

However, if you want solid new development for Reptile, making him more important to the story is NOT the solution. I understand that no one wants their favorite character to be a grunt, but that's what makes him cool. He's the BEST grunt. He's a grunt that's so good at his gruntiness that he gets to HANG OUT WITH THE EMPEROR. Princes, gods, champions... all of these are tried and done with.

But a house pet who holds authoritative functions like "bodyguard" and "assassin" is infinitely more refreshing. I also believe people overstate the issue of intelligence. His loyalties and motivations don't have to root in stupidity; I'd argue they're more likely rooted in psychological complexes. Even though the physical manifestations arrived later, it's reasonable to believe the mental devolution had already started by MK1. It's not like he was JUST separated from his race.
Jaded-Raven
09/18/2011 10:03 PM (UTC)
I miss MK4 Reptile...
cagedrage
About Me
gamertag: jeeringjunk
09/18/2011 10:04 PM (UTC)
Jaded-Raven Wrote:
I miss MK4 Reptile...

so do I, so do I...
PenguinIceNinja
09/19/2011 12:07 AM (UTC)
I really miss mkda's reptile. He was the most unique, with his crab style Kung Fu, and reptilian look.
superbn0va
09/19/2011 12:33 AM (UTC)
cagedrage Wrote:
Jaded-Raven Wrote:
I miss MK4 Reptile...

so do I, so do I...!Quote
Pages: 2
Download on the App StoreGet it on Google Play
© 1998-2024 Shadow Knight Media, LLC. All rights reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Mortal Kombat, the dragon logo and all character names are trademarks and copyright of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.