Site Network Movies Fan Submission Community Media Games News
There are 0 users online.
Username: Password: Save:
MK Online    Kommunity    Show Message
Join MK Online Free or become a Flawless Member for special benefits.
Top MKX Discussions
- Supreme Mortal Kombat Champion Tournament 2017!
- Injustice 2 Fighter Pack 1 Trailer Reveals Sub-Zero & More
- MKX Mobile - Baraka Challenge
- Speculation: Future of Non-Playable Characters In Doubt?
- Mortal Kombat X Mobile Announces Anniversary Update
- Kountdown: Top 10 Supremely Missed in Mortal Kombat X
- Mortal Kombat XL Announce Trailer
- MKX DLC: Unpacking Kombat Pack 2 Characters
- Mortal Kombat X Kombat Pack 2 Trailer - 4 DLC Fighters
- WSJ Reports Mortal Kombat X Sales Exceed Five Million
- Guide: Komplete Mortal Kombat X Brutality List

Register to join the discussion. Share stories via @MK_Online & Facebook.

MK Online User Poll

Best Mobile Challenger?
Baraka (24.6%)
Jade (39.7%)
Lin Kuei Cybers (27.3%)
Freddy Krueger (8.2%)

Forum Listings

MK Online Site Updates
  • February 7th, 2018
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Injustice 2 Gameplay Trailer [Read On]
  • February 5th, 2018
    Injustice 2 Ninja Turtles Reveal This Week [Read On]
  • January 5th, 2018
    Enchantress Takes Control in Injustice 2 Trailer [Read On]
  • January 4th, 2018
    Great Big Story Spotlight Voice of Shao Kahn: Steve Ritchie [Read On]
  • December 22nd, 2017
    When The Disaster Artist Met Mortal Kombat [Read On]

Site Themes
You must be logged in to
select themes.

MKO on Twitter

Fan Koliseum

The arena for Mortal Kombat Fantasy Fights and Kommunity Kombat!
Page of 3

Mick-LuciferPosted: 12/02/2012 05:48 PMStatus ::
FIGHT: ScrewAttack Death Battle - Thor versus Raiden!

With the literal end of days looming according to 2012 Mayan Doomsday theorists, we thought we'd flashback to a ScrewAttack DEATH BATTLE feature that brought two godly apocalypse survivors into an all-out twilight battle!

Okay. So, technically, Raiden didn't look much like surviving Armageddon. Not if you saw the opening scenes from the latest Mortal Kombat, where a certain Emperor of Outworld was on the verge of ripping Earth's immortal protector a new one (and a few dozen more, to boot)!... Still, when it comes to mythological clashes, you can't let details get in the way of a good thematic story!

Not only are Raiden and Thor two thundergod peas in a pod -- they've also faced down their own certain destruction on multiple occasions! Raiden's had Armageddon and all those other oops-i-let-your-realm-die moments; while Marvel Comics' Thor has experienced the twilight of Ragnarok many times, and come out blonder than ever!

So, who wins this epic encounter?...

Obviously we're gonna have our biases, but as ScrewAttack quite rightly points out, Raiden might actually be at an inherent disadvantage!

Uber powerful God and all -- a certain logic tells us Raiden is a wielder of lightning and electricity, while Thor is better known for controlling it. At best, Raiden's primary attacks are probably gonna have a less than optimum effect; at worst, he may find himself at the mercy of Thor's will itself! Add to that Raiden's penchant for taking mortal form to do battle and you're starting to see where this might be going.

In our estimation, ScrewAttack may also be over estimating the hammer factor. Mjolnir provides a powerful influence over the physical battle, but let's not forget that Raiden's had his own hammer time (in MK4) -- not to mention packing some distanced punch with that massive staff of his [mind out of the gutter!].

Of course, one of the drawbacks for Raiden is the unlikelihood of his disarming Thor. A history of sinister measures and corruption means Raiden probably won't be worthy enough to wield Mjolnir himself, as some other virtuous crossover characters have over the years [ie; Wonder Woman]. He also probably lacks the grunt strength to put any significant distance between Thor and his weapon -- not that it would even do much. Donald Blake hasn't been a factor for quite some time.

You'd have to give Raiden props for fighting technique. Thor's viking warrior charge is a pretty unrefined way of doing battle, made vulnerable by his legendary bouts of arrogance. Speed and martial arts keep the Lord of lightning well and truly in the battle, and you can count on a cool head, because as the song says, we all know he's not afraid. Is that enough to save him from a Frog Thor animality? Watch the video to find out and weigh-in with your take on the forums!

Got a taste for more fantasy fighting action? IGN put their battle to the fan vote when they asked who would win in a fight between Ryu and Scorpion. Meanwhile; Mortal Kombat Online kept things closer to home, naming the first all-time Supreme Mortal Kombat Champion for the 20th Anniversary!

RazorsEdge701Posted: 12/02/2012 05:59 PMStatus ::

Visits::20795
Nationality::United States
RE: FIGHT: ScrewAttack Death Battle - Thor versus Raiden!

Logical outcome, given that Thor's superstrength is in the "can bench a planet" weight class... Throwing him into the sun was a nice touch.

legoslayer10Posted: 12/02/2012 06:08 PMStatus ::

Visits::961

Well, let's do a simple Middle School compare and contrast.
Raiden and Thor's abilities over lightning have different extents, obviously. Thor can manipulate, summon, and is proboba\ly 100% impervious to lightning, while Raiden can only summon it. HOWEVER- Raiden's elctricity can be used in manners other than atttach (He could heal Jax with it). Weapon-wise, they both possess intensely strong weaponry, but Thor's hammer is much more powerful. But when it gets to basic fighting, Raiden takes the cake with knowing all over 750 variations of Jujitsu (check MK;DA) that could help him to counteract against Thor's melee.
Bottom line, supernatural won't make the difference, it would be their hand-to-hand combat, where it is decided that I vote for Raiden.

photo KungLaoSig_zps73716e92.png
blacksaibotPosted: 12/02/2012 06:22 PMStatus ::

Visits::9078
Nationality::Bahamas

Well NO SHIT Raiden would lose.

Mortal Kombat will always lose because, to the rest of the world, this series is a big joke with a splash of blood. Who is Raiden to compete against some bull shit comic book "I'm always invincible" garbage?

Imagine the nerd infested uproar that would come about had they chosen a mortal kombat character to win even if the two characters had a completely equal chance at winning.

RiyakouPosted: 12/02/2012 07:01 PMStatus ::

Visits::5625

While he is one hell of a god, I've never really considered Raiden "god-like" in terms of power and strength.

Personally, I think Fujin fits that bill much better.

In an authentic match, Thor will probably destroy Raiden, but not without a few broken bones first.

MurcielagoPosted: 12/02/2012 07:06 PMStatus ::

Visits::2471

I vote for Thor.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
PSN: Inxomniac
lastfighter89Posted: 12/02/2012 07:24 PMStatus ::

Visits::5337
Nationality::Italy

legoslayer10 Wrote:
Well, let's do a simple Middle School compare and contrast.

Raiden and Thor's abilities over lightning have different extents, obviously. Thor can manipulate, summon, and is proboba\ly 100% impervious to lightning, while Raiden can only summon it. HOWEVER- Raiden's elctricity can be used in manners other than atttach (He could heal Jax with it). Weapon-wise, they both possess intensely strong weaponry, but Thor's hammer is much more powerful. But when it gets to basic fighting, Raiden takes the cake with knowing all over 750 variations of Jujitsu (check MK;DA) that could help him to counteract against Thor's melee.

Bottom line, supernatural won't make the difference, it would be their hand-to-hand combat, where it is decided that I vote for Raiden.

Not true.
Raiden can SUMMON and control lighting, otherwise he couldn't throw it against his enemeies, giving it the shape of a ball, of pure elctricity, shield,etc.
The same way as Thor, btw, although I've never seen him throwing THUNDERBALLS.
I don't even see Thor being so invincible, considering how he CANNOT send messages to his former self.
During Ragnarok he got his ass kicked (or better, bitten) by Fenrir. Had he time-altering powers, he wouldn't be killed.
Shao Kahn did not kill Raiden 'cause he saved himself by altering the time flow.
Altering the timeline is HUGE advantage that Thor doesn't have.

Secondly, Thor needs a human body to posses, Jake Olson for istance, without it he couldn't interfere in mortal world. Raiden can exist in both Earth and Heavens.

Most importantly, Raiden is immortal, Thor is not, at least in the Nords tradition, but I guess it comes to the Marvel version too. remember that when he is killed, Raiden CAN host a new body.

In the Marvel's version Thor needs his Mjonir, Raiden can fight also without weapons. Hand to hand Raiden is a better fighter, no need to argue about this.

As someone above me said, MK would never win a fight, even when the comparison is REMARKABLY in favor of MK, just because MK is not that popular.
90% of these "franchise vs franchise" fights are biased and heavily influenced by popularity.
DO you remember "Deadliest Warrior"? How ridiculous was the "Napoleon vs Washington" fight?
Obviously Napoleon would kill Washington army in no less than 5 days, considering wealth, readiness, numbers and so on.
Washington didn't even defeat the English, he justs truck them to a treaty!

blacksaibotPosted: 12/02/2012 07:48 PMStatus ::

Thor vs Shinnok and his Amulet.

DarklenElverenPosted: 12/02/2012 07:56 PMStatus ::

Visits::45

Taking Deadliest Warrior seriously is as laughable as taking this seriously.

lastfighter89Posted: 12/02/2012 08:31 PMStatus ::

DarklenElveren Wrote:
Taking Deadliest Warrior seriously is as laughable as taking this seriously.

exactly what I told.

RiyakouPosted: 12/03/2012 12:06 AMStatus ::

blacksaibot Wrote:

You mean the duplicate Quan Chi gave him in order to keep the original for himself?

RazorsEdge701Posted: 12/03/2012 12:46 AMStatus ::

I'm surprised people are so mad.

Raiden doesn't fly through space and literally lift the weight of a large planet. Thor sometimes DOES.

MK characters don't need that kind of ridiculous cosmic level superstrength where they can bench literally ten billion tons. They only need enough superstrength to tear apart a human body with their bare hands. So that's the most any of them, even Raiden or Shao Kahn, have.

But Thor does need ridiculous space-strength because he has ridiculous comic book adventures in outer space and fight serpents the size of the world and shit like that.

So it wasn't ever a fair fight. Raiden doesn't have a chance against Thor. Raiden SHOULDN'T have a chance against Thor. They're not in the same weight class by a long shot, and just because they both have the title "god of thunder" in their respective universes doesn't mean they should be even.

So what? Why is that something to be upset about? I'd say the battle they animated was completely accurate. Raiden was faster with his teleports and martial arts and better at controlling the lightning bolts, while Thor was WAY stronger and can make earthquakes and summon all types of weather. That's all totally true.

SubMan799Posted: 12/03/2012 12:47 AMStatus ::

Visits::15204
Nationality::Vatican City

12-21-2012

Goku vs. Superman on Death Battle

get. hype.

ThePredator151Posted: 12/03/2012 04:43 AMStatus ::

Visits::1547

...Raiden IS Thor...Thor IS Raiden

This was fun.

Although, I have been disappointed at the lack of detail given about Raiden and his actual powers, strength, and capabilities in the past. They say in the vid that Raiden is entirely composed of ethereal energy. This is true....he has two forms, one less apprent than the other. But of course, why focus on the God form? We'd never really get to see him perform, right? Furthermore, y'don't smash ethereal energy with a hammer...the same hammer (or similar hammer, depending on how you want to look at it) Raiden wielded himself in MK4, no doubt.

Being able to lift a ridiculous amount of weight, survive outer space conditions, or be impervious to whatever assault doesn't seem so far out of range for Raiden once those ideals are properly considered then. Raiden is a conductor of electricity who can summon and command electricity/lightning. The most volatile source of energy known.

Last, anyone find it funny how Raiden & Thor have similar stories once on Earth? They both reincarnate after sacrifice or death of their physical form, and both are labeled as proponents of earth who care too much about earthlings....oh, and they both call earth, "EarthRealm"

Same thing. I think when it comes to these two, we're essentially comparing two different points in life of the same character.

The Ultimate Mortal Kombat Experience
- Lead Graphic Designer - Mortal Kombat Online -

:G-play :Story :F-Design :Cutout :Get Sig :Raiden :Fans [1] [2] :#LegendaryArts
acidslayerPosted: 12/03/2012 08:08 AMStatus ::

Visits::836

if raiden goes back in time he could most likly beat thor but if not then he'd lose but he put up a decent fight.

ZmokePosted: 12/03/2012 08:30 AMStatus ::

Visits::1072
Nationality::Finland

Raiden, Rayden, Raijin, Thor, Zeus, Haokah, Ukko, Predator – the thunder god has a lot of names. Just for fun: Who would Kidd Thunder be to Thor?

acidslayer Wrote:
if raiden goes back in time he could most likly beat thor but if not then he'd lose but he put up a decent fight.

This is true.

blacksaibotPosted: 12/03/2012 08:58 AMStatus ::

Riyakou Wrote:
blacksaibot Wrote:

You mean the duplicate Quan Chi gave him in order to keep the original for himself?

If that's what I meant, I would have said "duplicate"

RiyakouPosted: 12/03/2012 10:22 AMStatus ::

blacksaibot Wrote:
Riyakou Wrote:
blacksaibot Wrote:

If that's what I meant, I would have said "duplicate"

Shinnok's in for a world of hurt, then. lol

Anyhoo, with all these battles and matchups, I haven't really seen one that poses equal chance - or even close - among the fighters. A perfect matchup to me would be Azazel of the X-Men series, and HIM of The PowerPuff Girls.

It would be the battle of the Satans! lol

HELLSCORPION2Posted: 12/03/2012 11:42 AMStatus ::

Visits::2850

I've heard that IGN does tend favor Marvel and so far every video with a Marvel character has had Marvel winning, so I guess Meh.

BIG_SYKE19Posted: 12/03/2012 01:00 PMStatus ::

Visits::1188

lol is this a joke.

Mick-LuciferPosted: 12/03/2012 01:14 PMStatus ::

Visits::19637

HELLSCORPION2 Wrote:
I've heard that IGN does tend favor Marvel and so far every video with a Marvel character has had Marvel winning, so I guess Meh.

Haven't seen the others, but maybe it's the theme of their match-ups that favors Marvel, as much as anything. Raiden doesn't win here.

Better The Devil you know...
MK Online Forums: Share your interests, broaden your horizons and support the kommunity with discussion forums for every topic. "Ask not what your country can do for you - ask what you can do for your country."
ThePredator151Posted: 12/03/2012 02:32 PMStatus ::

Visits::1547

Zmoke Wrote:
Raiden, Rayden, Raijin, Thor, Zeus, Haokah, Ukko, Predator – the thunder god has a lot of names. Just for fun: Who would Kidd Thunder be to Thor?

Possibilities:

1.) Oden is to Thor as would Raiden be to Kid Thunder. ((literal relatives))
2.) Superman is to Superboy as would be Raiden to Kid Thunder. ((natives of the same origin)) I don't particularly favor this idea though.
3.) Servant or Assistant. Raiden did have two servants in the comics as well. I believe it was the "Raiden and Kano" edition. One female, and one male; Rayn and Wynd, respectively.

The Ultimate Mortal Kombat Experience
- Lead Graphic Designer - Mortal Kombat Online -

:G-play :Story :F-Design :Cutout :Get Sig :Raiden :Fans [1] [2] :#LegendaryArts
legoslayer10Posted: 12/03/2012 03:44 PMStatus ::

Visits::961

ThePredator151 Wrote:
Zmoke Wrote:

Possibilities:

1.) Oden is to Thor as would Raiden be to Kid Thunder. ((literal relatives))

2.) Superman is to Superboy as would be Raiden to Kid Thunder. ((natives of the same origin)) I don't particularly favor this idea though.

3.) Servant or Assistant. Raiden did have two servants in the comics as well. I believe it was the "Raiden and Kano" edition. One female, and one male; Rayn and Wynd, respectively.

Well, Raiden is Kidd Thunder's nephew (check the MK4 strategy booklet), and Raiden and thor are basically brothers, considering that they are both labeled as "god of thunder", so then, Kidd Thunder would be either Thor's nephew, just like he is Raiden's, or he could be Thor's son. In this case, Oden would be his grandfather, so Oden is now an Elder God, and Loki becomes Shao Kahn. (Maybe Kidd Thunder could be Shao Kahn's son, so.., maybe it's only a 3rd extended family relationship.) Not that it matters.

photo KungLaoSig_zps73716e92.png
lastfighter89Posted: 12/03/2012 04:35 PMStatus ::

RazorsEdge701 Wrote:
I'm surprised people are so mad.

Raiden doesn't fly through space and literally lift the weight of a large planet. Thor sometimes DOES.

MK characters don't need that kind of ridiculous cosmic level superstrength where they can bench literally ten billion tons. They only need enough superstrength to tear apart a human body with their bare hands. So that's the most any of them, even Raiden or Shao Kahn, have.

But Thor does need ridiculous space-strength because he has ridiculous comic book adventures in outer space and fight serpents the size of the world and shit like that.

So it wasn't ever a fair fight. Raiden doesn't have a chance against Thor. Raiden SHOULDN'T have a chance against Thor. They're not in the same weight class by a long shot, and just because they both have the title "god of thunder" in their respective universes doesn't mean they should be even.

So what? Why is that something to be upset about? I'd say the battle they animated was completely accurate. Raiden was faster with his teleports and martial arts and better at controlling the lightning bolts, while Thor was WAY stronger and can make earthquakes and summon all types of weather. That's all totally true.

1) we never saw Raiden in a situation where "lifting the entire world" is necessary, so you cannot know if Raiden can or cannot lift up the entire world. Just because MK franchise is more oriented towards the fihting aspects, rather than story-telling, doesn't mean that Raiden cannot do something.

2)As someone else mentioned Raiden and Thor are basically the same thing, with different names.

3) Thor cannot time-travel nor altering time flux.

4) Raiden is a better hand to hand fighter.

5) Raiden is not killed during armageddon, not explicitally. Thor gets killed.

6) Raiden is able to reincarnate after death. In the Nords mythology Thor is not able. In the Marvel mythology it could be different.

7) Thor is more popular than Raiden and usually the most popular wins, not the strongest.

8) I'm not stupid at all for I consider Raiden to be actually stronger, or even, of Thor

9) In the Greek Mythology Atlas lifted up the world, but he was far away to be strongest warrior, so being that strong deosn't mean your the strongest, not by far.

10) There are a lot of inconsistencies and missing details out of Raiden's bio, while Thor's one is more detailed.

11) There are no "splatter/gore" 2D sprites for Thor and making a fake or a new one would take a lot of time, so they just opted for the dissected Raiden from MK2.

12) Spider Man (cheating), Hulk and even Fantastic Four have defeated Thor in a fight; most of them are not even god or have god-like powers.

RazorsEdge701Posted: 12/03/2012 05:27 PMStatus ::

lastfighter89 Wrote:
we never saw Raiden in a situation where "lifting the entire world" is necessary, so you cannot know if Raiden can or cannot lift up the entire world.

Dude, get some perspective. Anyone even half that strong would be able to crush a vanilla mortal in a single punch. Thor and Superman can knock people out by flicking them on the nose.

Raiden has to hit people a whole bunch of times to knock them out just like anybody else in the MK tournament. His mortal form is strong, strong enough to make someone explode with an uppercut if he pauses to gather it all up...but not strong enough to lift up even, like, a building. And the Earth is WAY heavier than that.

Raiden vs. Johnny Cage or Sonya is almost a fair fight. So there's NO way he's anywhere close to a cosmic-tier comic book character in punching power. He'd be lucky if he's a tie with Colossus or The Thing...

lastfighter89 Wrote:
As someone else mentioned Raiden and Thor are basically the same thing, with different names.

In the MK universe, "Thor", "Zeus", and "Haokah" are different names Raiden went by when interacting with different cultures, yes.

But Marvel Thor is clearly not Raiden. He comes from a different world. A world where gods are WAY WAY stronger.

lastfighter89 Wrote:
Thor cannot time-travel nor altering time flux.

Actually, Thor CAN time travel.

Or he could in the Silver Age. He gave up that power at some point, I forget why, had something to do with Kang the Conquerer I think, but that's neither here nor there.

Point is, Mjolnir can open portals to other dimensions, which is Thor's main means of accessing the Rainbow Bridge to get from Earth to Asgard, and he used to be able to do time portals with it too.

lastfighter89 Wrote:
Raiden is a better hand to hand fighter.

Batman is a way better hand to hand fighter than Superman, but if Batman doesn't have Kryptonite, Superman's going to splatter him across the countryside in a single blow.

lastfighter89 Wrote:
Raiden is not killed during armageddon, not explicitally. Thor gets killed.

So? Raiden IS killed in Deception. He comes back.

And it should be noted that in MK, a god doesn't come back the same. They're supposed to be truly reincarnated with no memory. Deception Raiden came back wrong and retained his memory but his personality changed because his soul got tangled up with Shang and Quan's on their way to the afterlife and some of them rubbed off on him.

Marvel Thor, unlike Mythological Thor, can also come back. In Marvel, Ragnarok doesn't happen only once, it's a repeating cycle. Thor has been through multiple Ragnaroks where he died and later came back.

So they BOTH have the power to reincarnate.

I don't see what this has to do with fighting though. It doesn't matter if you can come back when you die, the fight is over when the fight is fucking over. If you come back to life later, then you can start a SECOND fight.

But Raiden will lose that fight too because Thor can STILL punch a billion times harder than Raiden can.

lastfighter89 Wrote:
Thor is more popular than Raiden and usually the most popular wins, not the strongest.

That's just being a sore loser, dude.

lastfighter89 Wrote:
I consider Raiden to be actually stronger, or even, of Thor

Well that's just plain not true. Raiden has to punch normal people repeatedly to knock them out.

lastfighter89 Wrote:
In the Greek Mythology Atlas lifted up the world, but he was far away to be strongest warrior, so being that strong deosn't mean your the strongest, not by far.

Well Hercules was as strong as or stronger than Atlas since he held the world for him once. And in Marvel, Thor and Herc are in the same weight class.

Again, these are people who can put a regular person down with a flick to the nose.

Raiden, in the mortal form he fights with, cannot compete with punches that generate that much force.

lastfighter89 Wrote:
Spider Man (cheating), Hulk and even Fantastic Four have defeated Thor in a fight; most of them are not even god or have god-like powers.

Well Hulk is even stronger than Thor is. It's not an exaggeration when he keeps shouting "Hulk is strongest one there is." Y'know...depending on how angry he is.

But Spider-Man and the F4 didn't really fight him to the death straight up, they used their brains to capture or incapacitate him. That's not what this is. This is two people punch and kick each other until one is dead. And in a scenario like that, Thor would definitely beat Spider-Man or any of the Fantastic Four except maybe Sue, depending on whether or not she can make a bubble inside his body and pop his organs, but his organs may be stronger than her force-of-will or whatever you wanna call it that she puts into her force fields.

She could also just make a bubble around your head until you suffocate...but I'm pretty sure Thor doesn't actually breathe.

Page of 3

© 1998-2018 Mortal Kombat Online. All rights reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Mortal Kombat, the dragon logo and all character names are trademarks and copyright of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.