Site Network Movies Fan Submission Community Media Games News
There are 0 users online.
Username: Password: Save:
MK Online    Kommunity    Show Message
Join MK Online Free or become a Flawless Member for special benefits.
Top MKX Discussions
- Supreme Mortal Kombat Champion Tournament 2017!
- Injustice 2 Fighter Pack 1 Trailer Reveals Sub-Zero & More
- MKX Mobile - Baraka Challenge
- Speculation: Future of Non-Playable Characters In Doubt?
- Mortal Kombat X Mobile Announces Anniversary Update
- Kountdown: Top 10 Supremely Missed in Mortal Kombat X
- Mortal Kombat XL Announce Trailer
- MKX DLC: Unpacking Kombat Pack 2 Characters
- Mortal Kombat X Kombat Pack 2 Trailer - 4 DLC Fighters
- WSJ Reports Mortal Kombat X Sales Exceed Five Million
- Guide: Komplete Mortal Kombat X Brutality List

Register to join the discussion. Share stories via @MK_Online & Facebook.

MK Online User Poll

Best Mobile Challenger?
Baraka (23.5%)
Jade (41.1%)
Lin Kuei Cybers (26.4%)
Freddy Krueger (8.8%)

Forum Listings

MK Online Site Updates
  • January 5th, 2018
    Enchantress Takes Control in Injustice 2 Trailer [Read On]
  • January 4th, 2018
    Great Big Story Spotlight Voice of Shao Kahn: Steve Ritchie [Read On]
  • December 22nd, 2017
    When The Disaster Artist Met Mortal Kombat [Read On]
  • December 20th, 2017
    MKX Mobile 2017 Holiday Bonuses & Updates [Read On]
  • December 15th, 2017
    Injustice 2 Limited Console Free Trial [Read On]

Site Themes
You must be logged in to
select themes.

MKO on Twitter

Media & Merchandise

Discussing Mortal Kombat in Movies, Television, New Media and Merchandising.
Page of 2

Mick-LuciferPosted: 01/20/2015 04:21 PMStatus ::
MK Legacy Star Darren Shahlavi Dead Age 42

Mortal Kombat Online is shocked and saddened to report the passing of actor Darren Shahlavi.

An accomplished star of film and television; Shahlavi will be best known to readers as Kano in episodes of Mortal Kombat: Legacy.

Variety reports confirmation of the actor's death, age 42, via his agent. Shahlavi passed in his sleep of an undisclosed cause, last Wednesday (January 14). TMZ note authorities suspect an overdose of prescription medication.

Update: Following findings by the Los Angeles County Department Coroner in April; Vancouver based journalist Sabrina Furminger reported for The Westender: "Darren died of “a sudden and fatal heart attack,” his family wrote in a statement. “He was found to have Atherosclerosis (also known as arteriosclerotic vascular disease or ASVD). His left anterior descending artery was 95% blocked, which must have been worsening for several years.” There's also this important clarification: “Darren had no drugs or medications in his body, and only 0.02% BAC (Blood Alcohol Concentration); to put this into context 0.08% is the BAC Driving Limit for both the US & UK. There are no other medical factors linked to his death.” Shahlavi lived in Vancouver - where Mortal Kombat was filmed - for thirteen years.

The Action Elite shared the following Facebook tribute, posted by Bobby Shahlavi:

It is with immense sadness we have to inform you all of the news of the death of our dearest Darren Shahlavi. Darren dared to dream and was brave enough to follow his dreams and make them a reality. He wanted to be a movie star! Sounds crazy right? But he made it happen. He fulfilled so many of his career ambitions and acted along side and met many of his childhood heroes and screen legends including Donnie Yen, Jean-Claude Van Damme, Sammo Hung, Robin Williams & George Clooney to name just a few. He was a kind, honest and decent human being. You will be missed my dear Darren, by family, friends, colleagues and many fans. You are a legend and a legend never dies. Your films and your legacy will live on forever and you will always remain in our hearts. We are all so proud of you and you will continue to inspire us all for generations. Sleep well Darren and keep on dreaming. Love you always… Your family X

Shahlavi was all the right things: talented, dedicated and sincere. His passion for martial arts cinema was deeply rooted, as was his personal attitude. Positive experiences with the actor don't seem to be in short supply. When I interviewed him for Mortal Kombat Online in 2011, he was friendly, approachable, and interested. He kept track of the interview's publication. When I had catastrophic computer problems, he even volunteered assistance, without ever being asked. The quintessential good bloke.

We discussed his early interest, "I started Judo when I was seven years old, and once I saw Bruce Lee, I was hooked on martial arts and films." His fandom for the 1995 Mortal Kombat feature film and its soundtrack, the influence it had on his depiction of Kano in Legacy, and his near miss with the '97 sequel. Still a fan, he even discussed striving to improve upon the fight scenes of Legacy.

His down to earth attitude was a contrast to some of the screen villains he will be remembered for. His Kano had the cocky, rogueish swagger the character deserved. His role as Twister Milos in 2010 Donnie Yen film Ip Man 2 will go down as one of the all-time great fight movie villains. In recent years, his work continued to flourish in starring roles and mainstream franchises (eg; Arrow). Most recently, he was cast opposite Jean-Claude Van Damme in the reboot to 1989 JCVD favourite, Kickboxer. His presence will be sorely missed.

RedScorpioPosted: 01/20/2015 09:02 AMStatus ::

Visits::10354
Nationality::Puerto Rico
Actor who played Kano has died

There are reports that Darren Shalavi, the actor who played Kano in MK Legacy has died. R.I.P.

lastfighter89Posted: 01/20/2015 01:51 PMStatus ::

Visits::5327
Nationality::Italy
RE: Everyone that plays Kano dies

Please do not feed "stories, urban legenda, myths" and so on, because the silverscreen it's already plenty of them.
Darren was very happy of playing Kano in Mk legacy and I bet a hell lot of people would gladly take the Job.

R. I. P. Darren

"Cum honorem cecidit, bellator "

Blade4693Posted: 01/20/2015 04:35 PMStatus ::

Visits::3252
Nationality::United States
RE: Everyone that plays Kano dies

R.I.P Darren Shahlavi and A$AP Yams, both gone too soon.

ultimatesavagePosted: 01/20/2015 04:49 PMStatus ::

Visits::157
Nationality::England
RE: MK Legacy Star Darren Shahlavi Dead Age 42

Last Wednesday?! OH my gosh! That far back and nothing was known until now? I only found out today. This is tragic!

He'd send me email of pictures for me to edit. He tweeted my edited Kano pictures I did for him. Was really looking forward to seeing him in new and coming movies. What is it about the Kano role? It's a jinx.

Photobucket
nightbreed_16Posted: 01/20/2015 04:55 PMStatus ::

Visits::259

Dang this is sad news he did real well on the webseries. R.I.P. dude.

I will rock you.
Human-Sub-Zero-4-everPosted: 01/20/2015 05:40 PMStatus ::

Visits::1667

Dammit! Thats the SECOND Kano actor to pass away.. what gives? Even stranger, is both actors were in the same age group of there passing. R.I.P. Darren.

FROIDPosted: 01/20/2015 06:05 PMStatus ::

Visits::2118

R,I.P. Twister..

ThePredator151Posted: 01/20/2015 06:24 PMStatus ::

Visits::1547

Pretty insane.... I liked him as Kano alot. R.I.P.!

The Ultimate Mortal Kombat Experience
- Lead Graphic Designer - Mortal Kombat Online -

:G-play :Story :F-Design :Cutout :Get Sig :Raiden :Fans [1] [2] :#LegendaryArts
MK_Fanatic_Posted: 01/20/2015 06:31 PMStatus ::

Visits::458
Nationality::Canada

Fuckin' curse of Kano...

RIP

ShaolinChuanPosted: 01/20/2015 06:38 PMStatus ::

Visits::14903

Oh my God! No!! I'm so shocked, damn it. My goodness, curse of Kano indeed, what a coincidence.

Such sad news, he was a great actor RIP

fedegitaPosted: 01/20/2015 06:40 PMStatus ::

Visits::4680
Nationality::Australia

Just like Goddard, Darren totally nailed the character of Kano - arguably better than anyone else who played a character in Legacy.

All I can think of now is how Darren used to mimic Trevor's famous line "Hello baby, did you miss me?" with his best mate.

MKNinjaChickPosted: 01/20/2015 06:42 PMStatus ::

Visits::2177

Really sad news.

I watched him a few days ago on Arrow. He was a great Kano.

RIP Darren

KenshiMaster16Posted: 01/20/2015 07:19 PMStatus ::

Visits::10137

They're saying now, on Facebook atleast, apparent drug overdose. So sad. Condolences to his friends and family.

RIP

shrairyuwarriorPosted: 01/20/2015 07:25 PMStatus ::

Visits::1063

Oh wow sorry to hear that. I only seen, him in legecy. Don't know what, else hes done but he was good as Kano. R.i.p.

PSN:athlos23
KenshiMaster16Posted: 01/20/2015 07:36 PMStatus ::

Visits::10137

shrairyuwarrior Wrote:
Oh wow sorry to hear that. I only seen, him in legecy. Don't know what, else hes done but he was good as Kano. R.i.p.

I recently saw him as a guest on the show Arrow maybe in Season 1. He was brilliant in the episode, too.

rdthelegend1Posted: 01/20/2015 07:43 PMStatus ::

Visits::731
RE: Actor who played Kano has died

Damn, I liked him on IP man alot and he made a badass Kano. Damn it

MacyG88Posted: 01/20/2015 08:14 PMStatus ::

Visits::2476
Nationality::Australia

My heart just sank when I saw today's headline. Darren Shahlavi was such an amazing talent: Not just an epic Kano, but had such an impactful on-screen presence with his deep, gutteral voice, menacing look and superb martial arts talent.

Rest In Peace Darren. The world has just lost a truly underrated talent far too soon.

TonyTheTigerPosted: 01/20/2015 09:15 PMStatus ::

Visits::17225

fedegita Wrote:
Just like Goddard, Darren totally nailed the character of Kano - arguably better than anyone else who played a character in Legacy.

Can't say it any better than that. He was clearly a very talented man. Far too young to lose.

TonyTheTiger - Forum Director

Photobucket
Mortal Kombat Online - The Ultimate Mortal Kombat Experience
-
Nintendo is comprised of three Japanese words. Nin, Ten, Dou, and when combined it means we kicked the holy shit outta Atari.
GhostDragonPosted: 01/20/2015 09:32 PMStatus ::

Visits::5716
Nationality::United Kingdom

Damn damn damn. This really hurts.

Just talked to a friend of mine and he asked if I heard about Darren. Both of us--martial artists and fans of MA flicks--have been marks for him since we first saw him in Bloodmoon and it was painful for me to say to him, "we lost our guy."

I'm just gutted to hear about his passing. I occasionally check his twitter to see what he's been up to, what films he's working on, what pics he posts and such. He always seemed like the nicest guy around by all accounts. He was a fuckin' cool actor and damn fantastic martial artist! I was so happy when he was cast as Kano cause I knew he'd do a great job... and he did. Thinking about his career, I wish he had gotten more opportunities to be seen more on t.v. With his charisma, all he needed was one solid shot at as a regular on a series to show his talents.

It's sad to find out he was having problems with pills. I don't know what issues led him to start using them, but he's in a place now where he won't have to worry about them anymore.

R.I.P. ... Champ!

Ghostdragon - Fan Submission Director ghostdragon@mortalkombatonline.com

Mortal Kombat Online - The Ultimate Mortal Kombat Experience
http://www.mortalkombatonline.com

"Tis true my form is something odd, But blaming me is blaming God. Could I create myself anew, I would not fail in pleasing you. If I could reach from pole to pole, Or grasp the ocean with a span, I would be measured by the soul, The mind's the standard of the man."

-Isaac Watts
Thunderstruck_EarthrealmerPosted: 01/20/2015 09:39 PMStatus ::

Visits::24
Nationality::India

I only knew him from the web-series as Kano, and he was a fine actor. Condolences to his friends and family; he will be missed. :(

"History is written in blood, not speeches." - Kotal Kahn

Avatar is MKX Concept Art by Marco Nelor.

Fujin for MKX DLC, please, NRS ...
jdnice11Posted: 01/20/2015 09:41 PMStatus ::

Visits::404

Such a Shame!

In the MK Legacy series, Darren was amazing! He had the ability/talent, the attitude and the Look! I recently watched more of his since the MK Legacy and came to find out I grew up watching him and didn't even know it!

R.I. P

MrInternationalPosted: 01/20/2015 11:09 PMStatus ::

Visits::165

How tragic, he was a splendid actor as Kano and had such great potential as an actor all around. He will surely be missed. Goodbye Darren Shahlavi.
Rest In Peace

GrizzlePosted: 01/21/2015 02:14 AMStatus ::

Visits::3477

That's trippy that all the actors who have portrayed Kano on film have passed away.

The fuckin' Kano Kurse.

MK_Fanatic_Posted: 01/21/2015 04:07 AMStatus ::

Visits::458
Nationality::Canada

Well, technically not all actors to portray Kano. The original, Richard Divizio, is still alive and kickin'.

His career on the other hand...

Page of 2

© 1998-2017 Mortal Kombat Online. All rights reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Mortal Kombat, the dragon logo and all character names are trademarks and copyright of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.