Character edits for Mugen MKP
posted02/24/2011 10:31 AM (UTC)by
bleed
I made a custom version of Raiden for MKP. I added new moves and some from MK vs DC.
See a video of it here

MKP is a custom MK game using the MUGEN 2D fighting game engine.

Latest character file download link is here------------------------------------------

Here are all the characters I've been working on. Still a wip mind you, so there are bugs and balance issues.
I've only coded two moves for scorpion with AI, so he does the same two moves a lot.
But with what I have so far, let me know what you think...
I'll tell you the moves and stuff if you can't figure them out. There not all too obvious.

Bleed_MKP_Edits_1-13-09.rar
Vash_15
About Me
12/13/2008 05:04 AM (UTC)
Nice work man, I'm really loving the edits you do. Stuff like the kung lao one seemed kind of simlpe, like the hat teleport, but they're always aesthetically pleasing. nice job Bleed
I try to have them play in a way that makes sense and is easy to use. The characters are actually pretty complex because of how many things they can do. It's like a mix of DOA, VF and MK.

The combos are about as complicated as the ones in MK vs DC's combo challenge. I made the timing for pro moves like regular moves though, and you can delay the combos like in DOA.

Below is an example of the script for the Vertical lightning strike. I got part of the idea from the MK2 arcade cabinet.

It's easier to make than it looks, you just have to keep tweaking.
The main problem I've run in to his how to make custom hit states. Something like the stumble back animation. I haven't found any information for how to do that.

I wanna do something like a back stumble for blocked moves, like a flying kick. Stumble back and fall down, bounce, daze, wall slam....etc.
;==========================================================
;lightning crash

[Statedef 160016]
type = S
movetype= A
physics = S
juggle = 2
ctrl = 0
velset = 0,0,0
anim = 160017 ;Empty frames with only hit boxes for contact = no shadow.

[State 1, thunder sound]
type = Playsnd
trigger1 = time = 4
value = F5,27

[State 2, blood]
type = Helper
trigger1 = movehit
trigger1 = numhelper(29) < 1
ID = 29
stateno = 29
pos = 0, 0
postype = p1
persistent = 0
ignorehitpause = 1

[State 3, lightning strike]
type = explod
trigger1 = animelem = 1
anim = 160016 ;Visible lightning animation
ID = 36
pos = 0,0
shadow = 0,0,0
postype = p1
ontop = 1

[State 4, spark on ground]
type = explod
trigger1 = animelem = 1
anim = 160006
ID = 36
pos = 0,-8
shadow = 0,0,0
postype = p1
ontop = 1

[State 5, shake screen]
type = envshake
trigger1 = Animelem = 2
time = 30
freq = 70
ampl = 7

[State 6, Hit properties]
type = HitDef
trigger1 = !movecontact
attr = S, NA
animtype = Back
damage = 100, 20
guardflag = HML
hitflag = MAF
pausetime = 5,4
sparkno = -1
guard.sparkno = -1
hitsound = 5,21;0
guardsound = 5,14
ground.type = High
ground.slidetime = 30
p2facing = 1
guard.ctrltime = 20
guard.slidetime = 20
ground.hittime = 30
ground.velocity = -4,-8
air.velocity = -4,-8
air.hittime = 17
ground.cornerpush.veloff = -20
fall.recover = 0
envshake.time = 30
envshake.freq = 70
envshake.ampl = 7
yaccel = 0.45
kill = (Var(9) = 0)
fall.kill = (Var(9) = 0)
guard.kill = (Var(9) = 0)
priority = 1, Miss

;Make opponent glow on hit
palfx.time = 20
palfx.mul = 50,150,250
palfx.add = 70,140,220
palfx.sinadd = 180,180,180,5

[State 7, hit spark]
type = Explod
triggerall = movecontact
;triggerall = (Time = 23)||( Time = 30)
trigger1 = (p2bodydist X> 70)|| var(9)=0
sprpriority = 3
persistent = .5
anim = 160006
postype = p2
pos = 0, -92
velocity = 0, 0
removetime = 15

[State 8, force position of lightning to floor]
type = Posset
trigger1 = Animelem = 1
Y = 8

[State 9, Change to body materialise state]
type = ChangeState
trigger1 = Time >= 25
value = 160015
ctrl = 1

;==========================================================
;Body materialise

[Statedef 160015]
type = S
movetype= A
physics = S
juggle = 2
ctrl = 0
velset = 0,0,0
anim = 160015 ;last few frames of body forming casts shadow

[State 1, electric sound]
type = Playsnd
trigger1 = time = 1
value = 4,6

[State 2, lightning body forming]
type = explod
trigger1 = animelem = 1
anim = 160018 ;first part of body forming casts no shadow
ID = 36
pos = 0,0
shadow = 0,0,0
postype = p1
ontop = 1

[State 3, force position to floor]
type = Posset
trigger1 = Animelem = 1
Y = 8

[State 4, change to fight stance]
type = ChangeState
trigger1 = AnimTime = 0
value = 0
ctrl = 1
ThePredator151
About Me
The Ultimate Mortal Kombat Experience
- Lead Graphic Designer - Mortal Kombat Online -

:G-play

:Story

:F-Design

:Cutout

:Get Sig

:Raiden

:Fans [1] [2]

:#LegendaryArts

12/13/2008 10:11 AM (UTC)
Haha! That was so awesome.

I don't know what else to say about it. lol
fedegita
12/13/2008 10:59 AM (UTC)
you know it actually makes raiden look like a boss character having so many powerful and complex moves. Obviously if you could do this with more characters you could completely redefine the 2D mk games
Jerrod
About Me
MKO Moderator, Story Writer, Actor
Signature by Pred
12/13/2008 05:42 PM (UTC)
fedegita Wrote:
you know it actually makes raiden look like a boss character having so many powerful and complex moves.

I agree with this; I always imagined that since Raiden's a God, he should be some kind of powerhouse, so it suits Raiden to look like such a powerful character.
I'll keep editing more characters, little by little. I just need some inspiration for what to do next and for which character. I've been able to get pretty much anything I've thought of in to the game.

The main restriction is the animation/sprites. I have to work with what I've got, mixing parts or painting some by hand. I try not to go too crazy with that because it can be tedious.
I figured out how to make custom hit states!

[Custom Get hit states, How to]

=========================================
Looking at Raiden's stumble from MKP.

This example will make a custom stumble and fall hit animation in MKP.

Action Number in the character's .air file = 21238

The animation is stationary in the .air file, with collision boxes and set to loop.

The character is not flipped, they are facing to the right like the rest of their animations.

=====================

p2stateno = 212388 ;This is the new stumble line of code. The line goes in the HitDef of any fighter's .cns if you want the attack to cause a stumble and fall.

====================

This part is in the common.cns from the Data folder.

Every character must have the "Actions/animations" in their .air file, that are called for by the State definitions.

:=======>>>>>>> Custom Hit state = works in MKP, will make the opponent stumble back and fall.

;-------Part 1-------

[Statedef 212388]
Type = S
MoveType = H
Physics = N

[State 3010, Var]
type = VarSet
trigger1 = var(17) = 1
v = 17
value = 0

[State 1001, 1]
type = changestate
trigger1 = Pos Y != 0 ;Means if the opponent is not standing on the floor. ! = don't do if this is true.
trigger1 = time = 0
value = 212400

[State 1001, 1]
type = changestate
trigger1 = Pos Y = 0 ;Means do if the opponent is standing on the floor.
trigger1 = time = 0
value = 212399

;-------Part 2-------

[Statedef 212399]
Type = S
MoveType = H
Physics = N
Velset = -2.8,0;-2.5,0
anim = 21238; Put the initial get hit reaction animation here. You can make the character attack and hit if you add a HitDef for this. For some Kung Fu movie back and forth action.

[State 1001, 1]
type = Selfstate
trigger1 = Pos Y = 0
trigger1 = AnimTime = 0
trigger1 = alive = 0
value = 5050 ; Put here the state after the first hit reaction if the character is KO'd

[State 1001, 1]
type = Selfstate
trigger1 = Pos Y = 0
trigger1 = AnimTime = 0
trigger1 = alive = 1
value = 5050 ; Put here the state after the first hit reaction if the character is NOT KO'd.
ctrl = 1

;-------Part 3-------
[Statedef 212400] ;Juggle hit version of the get hit action.
Type = A
MoveType = H
Physics = A
anim = 5030
velset= -3, -5;-4,-6.5

[State 1001, 1]
type = Selfstate
trigger1 = Time = 4
value = 5050

;--------===========>>>>>>>>

Done
That opens a world of options.
===========================================================
Here's a little sprite edit I made today, I was watching the MK vs DCU flash animation on newgrounds.com. I did not come up with the design for the costume.

The scorpion made for that looks pretty cool, so I was thinking of doing something with that idea in mugen. I love the part where he's swinging the two spears around.

I thought of that move a long time ago too, but I never actually did it.

Link to the MK vs DCU flash animation by Red-Lantern
fedegita
12/14/2008 02:40 AM (UTC)
do u mind posting a vid of what you discovered with that new code? I'm not very knowledgeable on mugen or fighting systems in general. cool scorpion sprite btw
I put a vid of the Hit state difference on my youtube page.
I got one part of the Whip animation done. I just have to get the sprites in to Mugen and code it. grin

I have to make a few more tricks, so he can flow in to different patterns, with one whip or two.

Download the .gif and play it with the Quick time player if it's slow online.
Set play back to loop.

GhostDragon
About Me

Ghostdragon - Fan Submission Director ghostdragon@mortalkombatonline.com
Mortal Kombat Online - The Ultimate Mortal Kombat Experience
http://www.mortalkombatonline.com

"Tis true my form is something odd, But blaming me is blaming God. Could I create myself anew, I would not fail in pleasing you. If I could reach from pole to pole, Or grasp the ocean with a span, I would be measured by the soul, The mind's the standard of the man."
-Isaac Watts
12/14/2008 01:44 PM (UTC)
bleed Wrote:
I got one part of the Whip animation done. I just have to get the sprites in to Mugen and code it. grin

I have to make a few more tricks, so he can flow in to different patterns, with one whip or two.

Download the .gif and play it with the Quick time player if it's slow online.
Set play back to loop.

Jesus man. The whip animation is awesome. =)
wow Amazing work!
It's always awesome to see new ideas, and things people come up with.
I like your moves. Kickass Raiden, not "mortal" Raiden. Scorpion's move is neat, a bit cartoony looking with that blur. I have chain segments made up for a flail that'll work for kusarigama chainwork or whatever else. I'm still trying to find the motivation to work on my MKII ninja kusarigama idea.

*EDIT:

Ka-Tra
Thanks, yeah the kusarigama would be pretty nice.

Maybe for Smoke, I can reuse the sprites and make them play different.
fedegita
12/14/2008 08:13 PM (UTC)
The whip handle looks too big (and the blue colour is weird) at the beginning of the animation when scorpion holds it. I'd love to see that in a game!
Yeah, that's how it actually is in the game, too big.

I was thinking, what about making him work like in the MK1 movie. Have the spear head be a weapon on his belt like in MKD, but have the rope, be a tentacle. Similar to Omega Red's, but looking like a black snake. No head on it, just a black snake skin tentacle.

Have it move around like it's alive and grab the spear when about to do something with it.

That will let me do a lot of different moves for him. Way more than a basic spear toss.

He can use the knife by it self, a smaller one that looks real.

Tentacle by it self

or the tentacle grabbing the knife

The tentacle could have a length limit, and retract like in the MK movie. "Get back here"
fedegita
12/14/2008 10:30 PM (UTC)
So you're saying when scorpion reaches for the spear at his belt the tentacle latches onto it and uses it like a living thing? Sounds good, I'm just not too keen on the idea of having the spear visible on his belt like in MKD. Depending on how you do it, it could turn out looking really odd.

Unless you shrink it or something? Then there's the whole issue of it also appearing on his other hip when he jumps over his opponent.
I'm thinking something more like this.

Have fire come out from the tentacles pores or scales, they could have an oil to set the knife on fire.

I could put the throwing knives on both sides of his hip, or just deal with the 2D sprite limitation. I could go the extra mile and make sprites for when he's facing left or right.

That may not be such a big deal. If I make the spear a separate sprite element that works like a special effect. I can have the knife layer change from front to back, left to right...By just changing a few lines of code.

I could have different animations depending on which side of the opponent he is on. Start up animation (grab knife) would be special, then after the blade is in hand, switch to the normal animatiion. That's what I did with Raiden's big lightning strike teleport. Blend from one animation to another to get a certain effect working right.
fedegita
12/15/2008 03:23 AM (UTC)
ok i get what you mean now. Yeah I can definitely see that working. Imagine all the different moves he could do with a living tentacle at his disposal? Btw that spear looks much better now instead of the original UMK3 one.
I have a lot of ideas already but if anybody wants to post something, I'd love to see it. Critique is good too, you can see how that got a better looking spear.

The ideas can be complicated, I know my way around the engine pretty well.

Make your own sprite edits if you like, but they can't be too sloppy or they won't work right. Something along the quality level of what I'm doing and what's on Tetra_Vega's web site. It has to match the rest of the sprites in the game.

What I do is cut different parts out from different sprites (of the same character) and put them together however I need to.

I get as close as I can with that, then do some painting by hand. The pencil tool is the best for avoiding palette problems. You can pick colors from the sprite and paint with them.

I use smudge and blur too, but I try not to over do it. Blurring can cause unwanted results when I apply the game color palette to the sprites.

It changes the shading on the sprite to match what the color palette has to work with.

I'm using the color palette from Scorpion in MKP.

It helps a lot to have some reference images or video footage. For that whip animation I found a video on youtube, put it on Windows movie maker and went frame by frame. I edited the sprites to look close to the guy on the video.

You can record yourself doing some moves with a digital camera too.
mvp9119
12/15/2008 04:01 AM (UTC)
Raiden is very impressive.I took a look at your Kun lao edit as and its well very cool. Do you plan to release them to the public ? Thats the type of character i need for my mk mugen. And your edits are incredible aswell. keep up the good work
You can use them now but they are in need of tweaking. If you can get a good combo in, it's possible to take 75% life or more. They can be hard to do though.

Wall juggles are long

I haven't made a moves list, but you can check the character's .CMD file.

Select the .CMD and choose Edit. Scroll down to the commands.

Or ask me if you are having trouble, they don't play like they used to.

I'd like to see any critiques after testing, so I can make them better.

chars.rar

ThaReal
12/15/2008 07:52 AM (UTC)
Hi i like you scorpion spear spin its cool looking if you want to talk mugen better to check out mkmp.You find alot more people into projects,sum amazing stuff to download and see.Keep up the good work!

here is mkmp site.

http://mkmp.net/

I put the spear swing in mugen and uploaded a video of it to my youtube page.

It's almost working right, there's a small problem with the spear animation having a delay. I set it to come out on a certain frame to match scorpion's body, but it shows up a little bit late.

I'll probably have it work best if I put all the parts in to single sprites, instead of having them as animated layers. I'll try that later...
RazorsEdge701
12/15/2008 10:57 AM (UTC)
This is just my opinion, but personally, I think normal rope would look a little better than the black "tentacles". It'd be more visible against the backgrounds.
Besides, the movie version never made sense. What do snakes have to do with scorpions? To me, it works as it is, for him to have mental control over the rope or for it to come out of his hand, without it being an actual living creature or limb of its own.
Pages: 6
Download on the App StoreGet it on Google Play
© 1998-2024 Shadow Knight Media, LLC. All rights reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Mortal Kombat, the dragon logo and all character names are trademarks and copyright of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.