Garladors KOTW - Week 9 - Sonya Discussion -UPDATE-See Page 8: Future Posts on Hold Due to New Forum Regulations
posted01/23/2012 06:27 PM (UTC)by
Garlador
Greetings vaunted denizens of the MKO lair! Your humble host, Garlador the mad and powerful, is here with yet another wondrous rabble of ramblings and rousing rants. Are you prepared?

We've tackled Sheeva, Nightwolf, Mileena, Smoke, Shang Tsung, Stryker, Reptile, and Sonya's boobs, and now it's time to tackle one of MK's most iconic and popular female heroines.

Admin Edit: Please be encouraged to direct new replies to this thread.

You hear that? It's time. And what time exactly is it?

Damn straight, Sonya.

WHO IS SONYA BLADE?
*ahem* That's LIEUTENANT Sonya Blade to you, buckos!

(Like most ladies, Sonya is an emotional woman... but the only emotions she experiences are PURE RAGE and a PASSIONATE LOVE of snapping necks)

Lt. Sonya Blade is a soldier in the US government's elite Special Forces, later forming the Outer World Investigation Agency, the partner of Jackson Briggs, and MK's all-round ass-kicking Golden Girl.

(Sorry, Bea Arthur, but Sonya's the only Golden Girl for me)

Sonya's largely defined by both her professionalism, dedication to her teammates, and her burning desire to bring gang leader Kano to justice.

("Justice" basically amounting to violating every rule of the Geneva Convention... and not caring because Kano has it coming and because, screw you, she's SONYA BLADE.)

In a game dominated by men, in a time when the most popular female game girl was Princess Peach, Sonya was there on the front-lines of turning the tide against the helpless damsel in distress and throwing down with the big boys.

(I'd rather face Goro than Sonya on a bad day)

While her and Chun-Li were the First Ladies of fighting games, they proved themselves just as competent and deadly as their male counterparts, and in fact flourished in popularity to surpass many of the other fighters. Fighting game creators quickly realized that strong female fighters could be just as appealing, if not more so, than the male fighters, and some fighting games even started basing their entire premise around strong female fighters.

(And they certainly carried the torch of progressive, respectful female fighters and ran with it... oh, no, no wait. They didn't. They drove it into the mud. Literally.)

Well, at the very least, Sonya and Chun-Li's simultaneous success propelled more games, even outside of fighting games, to take gambles on strong, self-reliant, empowered female heroines.

("Empowered female heroines" eventually got lost in translation and replaced with "slutty teenage girls with breast implants"...)

Still, Sonya Blade is not only one of Mortal Kombat's most lasting and iconic fighters, she's easily one of the toughest chicks in the entire medium as well as being a trailblazer that paved the way for the likes of heroines such as Lara Croft, Alyx Vance, and even Anya Stroud.

(Sorry, Anya, but there's only room for one tank-top wearing, monster-killing, tough-as-nails military broad, and that's Sonya. Besides, she kills monsters with her BARE DAMN HANDS!)

WHY IS SONYA IN THE SERIES?
As we've covered in Stryker's thread, MK1 was originally going to be an all-dude affair (oh my), but when the team realized the lack of curves and the overabundance of Y-chromosomes, they decided to change things up to keep it from being a total sausage fest.

(it would have been a terrible tournament, but a delicious party)

Because the Mortal Kombat team wasn't exactly the most, well, original group of people on the planet, they based many characters on pre-existing characters, and Sonya was no different. Just taking a wild guess, I'm only about 516% sure she was based on 80's karate darling, Cynthia Rothrock.

(With a -0.35% chance of error)

Also, because MK really isn't that great at coming up with names (unless you consider "Reptile", "Smoke", and "Noob Saibot" to be the epitome of cleverness), Ed Boon just named her after his sister.

(Try not to think about the inspiration for what Ed Boon named "Meat" after...)

Thus Sonya was created, the first of many hardcore, fighting-game-centric, kick-happy blondes in ponytails wearing super-tight outfits and often, improbably, high-heels.

(Make a blonde joke. Go on, I dare you)

Since then, Sonya's role in the story, and her popularity, have kept her coming back time and time again. After her absence in MK2, Sonya was the FIRST confirmed character of MK3, if only to assuage her sizable militia of fans from burning their studio to the ground in a stunning display of proto-feminist outrage.

("There is only one woman this nation endorses, and she hails from the Special Forces! We will shout, from arcade to arcade, that we demand our Sonya Blade!")

But Sonya did return in MK3, was given some new duds to wear, some new moves, and...

...Sweet merciful Elder Gods, she was portrayed by Kerri Hoskins, notable for making it into the Guiness Book of World Records by surpassing the previous record holder, the Sun, as the HOTTEST THING IN OUR SOLAR SYSTEM.

("If I bat my eyelashes, I turn gay men straight and straight women into raging lesbians.")

After this, Sonya became a mainstay in the series and one of its most dependable roster candidates, and she is routinely acknowledged as not just one of Mortal Kombat's most prominent fighters, but also as one of the strongest and most awesome female fighters in the entire gaming genre.

(Sonya's got sugar, spice, and everything nice, but she never needed "Chemical X" to kick some ass)

SONYA'S STORY-
So Sonya began as the gender-swapped military Stryker who chased Kano down to Shang Tsung's island, where her teammates were captured and she was blackmailed into fighting in the tournament to save Earthrealm.

Sonya was mainly there to capture Kano, and depending on when, where, and who you ask, the reasons for this aren't exactly clear. In the movies, comics, cartoons, toys, and some game-tie-ins, it was said he killed her partner, yet in the new game he's stated to be an informant that was playing them for fools, of which Sonya cryptically states "but I was the one he USED". I think I read somewhere that the partner Kano may have killed was also her fiance, which sounded interesting to me. The waters have been muddied a bit, but the short end of the story is "Sonya REALLY hates his guts."

(His crimes against comfy footwear are well documented)

So Sonya fought in the MK1 tournament against her will. However, unlike, well, all the other heroes (Nightwolf, Johnny Cage, Kung Lao, etc.), we never see Sonya lose a fight and get disqualified, but it can be assumed she DID lose since only Liu Kang made it to the final match to save Earthrealm.

(When asked, Johnny Cage confessed "I don't remember who won... but the fight was AWESOME.")

After MK1 wrapped up, Shao Kahn decided to be a sore loser and demand a rematch, and to show the heroes he meant business, he attacked them in their homes and kidnapped Sonya to lure them into Outworld.

(Sure the realms wouldn't "merge', but when you have portals that transport you anywhere you want between dimensions, that's like complaining you can't merge your front lawn into your bedroom)

So, somewhat disappointingly, Sonya sat out pretty much all of Mortal Kombat 2, and, even worse, became that token damsel in distress that needed to be rescued. It kinda sucked, unless you're into Sonya bondage, which made it kind of hot.

(Which may explain why they got rid of Kano in the update and replaced him with more half-naked girls.)

Of course, she made a triumphant return in Mortal Kombat 3, where Deadly Alliance later filled us in that she and Kano had an epic battle on the rooftops that resulted in Kano yanking out some of her hair as he fell off a building to his supposed death (only to return later with her hair around his neck as a trophy).

(You really don't want to know how often Kano smells it when he's feeling lonesome)

She joined the heroes yet again to fight off Shinnok's invasion and hunt down the rest of the Black Dragon clan (which was basically just the one Kano-clone, Jarek). Since a hero is only as good as the villain they face, MK4 was a bit of a disappointment for Sonya if only because Jarek was a bit of a disappointment in everything else.

(Giving Sonya Jarek as a main rival is like Lex Luthor deciding Aquaman is his new arch-nemesis)

Still, Sonya pulled her weight, helped organize the new Outer World Investigation Agency, and was doing a pretty good job policing the realms when Raiden came calling yet again for Deadly Alliance. Only problem, however, was Raiden's genius plan of "let's run at them head on and see what happens" kinda failed miserably.

(And Raiden's poor leadership never got anyone killed ever again....)

At this point, Deception rolled around and Sonya was resurrected by Onaga along with the rest of her fallen comrades and enslaved to serve him under a powerful spell. So, great, she's alive again. Can we play as her?

The team apparently decided to give Sonya a break and fill the Sonya-shaped void in our hearts with a move-stealing clone character in her place that was basically just Sonya with red hair.

(And, no, I only WISH we'd gotten this red-headed Sonya instead)

But by the power of deus ex machina, Sonya and the others were restored to normal by the end by the ghost of zombie Liu Kang and the magic bright eyes of Ermac. Thus Sonya was alive again for Armageddon. She was alive, and strong, and ready for round 2!

(Or... kill her and everyone off in two consecutive games in a row...)

Okay, people, you know the drill. What happens when a once-popular series becomes terrible, ground into the dirt through meaningless spin-offs, and made irrelevant with time? You reboot the damn thing and inject it with genuine QUALITY again.

(A lesson learned)

After a rather solid appearance in the goofy DC crossover, which even had her and Kano teaming up and in her ending had her acquiring the weapon of ultimate power...

... it was time to go back to where it all began with MK2011.

So here we are with a new Mortal Kombat game that takes a fresh look back at Sonya and her misadventures through the MK1-3 era. The story for her is pretty much exactly the same, except tweaked a bit to make Jax's rescue the reason for her being in MK1 and that, at the end of the game, she's one of only two Earthrealm heroes that lucked their way into not being slaughtered by Sindel when Raiden screwed up the timeline.

("It's okay, Raiden. Contrived story reasons spared US, so we forgive you for screwing up the timeline, leading our friends to their grisly demise, and outright killing Liu Kang as he tried to save the world...")

Digging further, Sonya's ending has her quitting the Special Forces, roaming the country in a deep depression, suffering a psychotic break, and suddenly being haunted by the apparent ghost of her long-lost father. I'm sure I'm not alone here in going, "um, that's nice, but that's more than a little... RANDOM..."

("So, I see the ghost of my missing father now. Whatever happened to my dead brother? Is that still canon? You'd think the ghost of Jax haunting me would make more sense. No? We're really giving me father issues now? Ooookay... whatever you say, NRS...")

Maybe it's just me, but it seems odd that suddenly Sonya turned into the kid from The 6th Sense.

(Okay, so long as the next MK is more "Unbreakable" and less "The Happening", we'll be good.)

SONYA'S FUTURE-
Practically all the heroes bit the dust in MK2011, with the exception of Johnny Cage, Sonya, and Raiden, and the actions of one of those survivors made me a tad disappointed he wasn't counted among the dead (hint: it wasn't Johnny Cage).

Still, I'm glad SOMEONE survived, and I'm glad it was one of the better MK characters to boot. Sonya's a shoe-in for a return.

Sadly, Kano's also still around, so I'm hoping against hope that the next game doesn't have Sonya going after Kano... again... for the 10th time... in over 17 years...

(Actually, no, we didn't miss you. Let's give Sonya something new to do...)

The sequel has plenty of elbow-room to do something new, whether it's explore her handling the fallout of losing her friends, her dealing with her sanity and seeing ghosts, or even about the much more open, blunt, and honest attraction the new games have shown between her and Johnny Cage.

(So long as they don't turn it into a typical Julia Roberts/Sandra Bullock rom-com, I'm okay with it)

But there is ONE thing I'd like them to fix for the future games.

Sonya's wardrobe. It's... it's just...

(It's just a little bit stupid on a Lady Gaga level)

Now, I'm a healthy, heterosexual man that enjoys attractive women and attractive body parts of attractive women located in attractive areas genetically designed to attract my interest, but I also don't like being pandered to and I DO happen to like using my imagination, but Sonya's more recent ensemble attires don't leave much room for that.

That wouldn't be such a big deal, except Sonya's outfit, unlike most of the cast, does not reinforce either her personality, her background, or her military discipline.

(In the movie "Down Periscope", the female military officer's bras are stolen, forcing her to shamefully endure the humiliation of appearing under-dressed and out of uniform... In MK2011, Sonya wears a "military" outfit 98% more revealing and doesn't bat an eyelash)

This has been beaten to death in other topics both here and on other forums, and, yes, sex sells, but I put my foot down when a great, strong, professional character like Sonya starts wearing LESS than the hookers parading down my street.

(Pictured: The hookers parading down my street)

Or maybe I'm just overreacting and in the MK universe it's perfectly logical to shun supportive undergarments while wearing the latest Victoria's Secret thongs into combat.

("You see, nothing helps me concentrate more during a fierce battle than picking the wedgies out of my crack after every high kick!")

Thong and belly-button piercing notwithstanding, my personal favorite Sonya outfit was Shaolin Monks because, hey hey, she looks like an honest-to-god SOLDIER instead of a stripper hired to cosplay as one.

(Boon: "This is terrible. TERRIBLE! Nobody could ever fap to this! How could anyone ever consider THIS sexy? For the next game, get rid of, like, 80% of those clothes... and put her in high-heels!")

Okay, that little rant aside, let me close this puppy up.

Sonya Blade is quite nearly the very heart and soul of the Mortal Kombat universe. She's always been that constant, headstrong heroine, flawed with single-minded ambition and devotion to duty at the expense of her personal happiness and well-being, yet time and time again has come through when the need arises. She's tough, but the games are not afraid to show her vulnerabilities, her soft and tender side, and that makes her far more than a stereotypical action heroine. She's cut from the same cloth as cinema greats such as Ripley from "Aliens" and Sarah Connor from "Terminator 2". She is a fascinating woman who is made more appealing, more enduring, and even more attractive due to the fact she's one of the most believable and human characters in the series. She's not a super-powered demon or god, she's not a rich and famous celebrity, she's not a Mary Sue-princess or a Christ-like chosen one. She's not a mindless minion, a mystical and supernatural warrior, or a cybernetically-augmented super soldier.

Sort of like Stryker, at the end of the day, Sonya Blade is just a very real woman (er, not like Stryker) facing down overwhelming odds with uncertainty and courage.

But that's what's so great about her. Sonya is the one that jumped into the fray to fight with the big boys, spanked them silly, and sent them crying home to their mommas. She's the diva of destruction with the legendary legs whose neck-snapping capabilities are storied and widely known. She's the militant minx with the kiss of death that can pull off being as tough as a Tonka truck yet still be as irresistible as chocolate frosting on your birthday cake. She's got the beauty to make the men gape, the brains to give them the run-around, and the brawn to ensure they won't get the chance to underestimate her twice.

That's a well-rounded, strongly-written, and highly-appreciated character in the MK mythos... and the fact that her gameplay is just as compelling and her moves and finishers just as memorable only sweetens the entire package.

Sonya, baby, glad to see you in this game, glad you survived, and I'm glad you'll be returning in future installments.

Okay everyone. So, how do you feel about Lt. Sonya Blade? How do you like her story? Tired of Kano, or do you consider him essential to her? What about the loose ends of her ending? Glad she's coming back for more, or perhaps you'd wish she died with the others? Do you like her outfits in the games or do you find them ill-fitting? What's your favorite? Did she rock in this game, or do you consider her incomplete without a standard bicycle kick or a classic Kiss of Death fatality?

Sound off, and let me know who gets covered next!

*whew* Thanks everyone. It's been fun. Garlador out.
Noobsmoke92
09/30/2011 08:11 AM (UTC)
This was another epic review. Well done Garlador!

I agree with most of your points,but Kano should be present in her life anyways,they are like Joker and Batman,one cannot live without other or will be less interesting. They complement each other and,yes,maybe they should take a break of seeing each other in next game,but I definitely don't want them to forget each other,their rivalry is on the same plane for me as Scorpion vs Sub-Zero or Shang Tsung vs Liu Kang.

I want Sonya just to take this leader role of military actions from Jax in the future games,probably form OIA by herself in this timeline, and I would love Jax to be twisted a little bit after his resurrection in future,like it was implied in MKvsDC and MK Armageddon where he becomes kinda cyborg and going evil. I want to see how Sonya is gonna deal with Jax's evil twist. She is so emotional and attached to her friends,that's why I want to see it.
Jaded-Raven
09/30/2011 08:32 AM (UTC)
A MUCH better thread about Sonya, really showing the appreciation of her as a character, and showing she is more than a pair of boobs. Excellent thread, Garly. ^^
smokeman14
09/30/2011 11:00 AM (UTC)
do Skarlet next!.....or Freddy Krueger. *trollface*
totheark
09/30/2011 03:04 PM (UTC)
Sonya Blade; my girl-kombatant which makes all feme-fighters look shitty in comparison (opinions people).

Her storyline:
The Kano vs. Sonya era had its time. I think that its already ran its course without looking too terribily un-imaginative. I'd like to see some lone-wolf style persona going on with my Sarah Conor in high heels! I think of it as a side-line character who's needed. Make the team truly rely on her skills rather than just having her along for the ride. I'm not really sure what would fuel this kind of direction, but to me, this would be more of a personality adjustment rather than a plot one. In the MK9 storyline, we see a hint of arrogance. I don't know about you guys, but I love a bit of sass-and- class in my sexy-militant fighters! Expanding on that behavior I think could open all alot of new doors. What doors those are, are for the plot-makers to decide. (Yeahhhhhhhh!) Just don't make her into the "Johnny Cage with Boobs".

Her attire:
I may be the only one who has absolutley NO problem with the wardrobe of Miss Blade. Maybe its my subconcious desire for busty crime-fighters but I don't have any gripes with it. Her personality isn't reflectant of her clothing, so I say keep the costume designer.

(This makes up for EVERYTHING)

Her moveset:
Never really bothered me that her iconic specials weren't put in the game. I say her new ones make up for it.

Excellent thread!
queve
09/30/2011 03:47 PM (UTC)
**Standing Ovation**

Garlador, that was beautiful. So beautiful that a little bird told me that a certain blonde is planning to visit your headquarters. Very soon:

Seriously though, I'm really happy about the great reception (lack of a shirt under a vest issue aside) and support that Sonya's received in this last game.

She's the freaking Lara Croft and (in the very words of Ed Boon himself) the Chun-Li of Mortal Kombat:

(and more recently even the "Sarah Connor" of our game)

As a huge Sonya fan, it makes me really happy to see her as one of the most charismatic and charming characters in the game. You did an excellent job explaining why she (along side Johnny Cage) is easily one of the most lovable characters in the story, so, I won't write a bible about it and I'll just say that I agree.

Your post is absolute perfection, though, if you allow me, I'd like to add a certain moment that you forgot to mention concerning Sonya's background and that is her MK:Armageddon bio and fantastic victory against Sektor.

I find this particular moment in her bio and Konquest quite awesome because it's the first time we get to actually see and experience the SF/OIA in action! It's the first time we finally get to see what they are really made of and what's Sonya all about. She manages to take down the Tekunin Warship while screaming orders, commanding with a hint of attitude, and still manages to sound sexy. Awesome.

That being said, I really like how you nailed everything there is to be said about Sonya's loyalty, passion, emotional side, and her sincere care and love for her friends and allies. Like the Official MK:Gold book states, "she's a deadly weapon", but, it is also great to know and see that she is much more than just a "tough hot blonde". She has a pure heart and a great soul combined with a badass attitude. She rocks.

Though the flawless Bridgette Wilson was the one who pretty much made Sonya Blade who she is today, I'm really happy that the games (+ comic books and movies) took care to specifically mention these lovely traits about her in some Bios, story modes, and even Konquest. If you had to pick a best friend to rely on, count in, and trust in MK, your best choice is probably Sonya. Just ask Jax, Raiden, Johnny, and Liu...they all agree. She and Johnny are pretty much the only ones who don't loose faith in Raiden throughout the entire story.

Like we all know, her instincts are pretty much spot on most of the time (in your face, Frost!...though MK9 Kano somehow used her) and her dedication and passion have made her one of the most reliable and significant weapons against the forces of evil. Sonya, babe, I hope you never go evil, because that would just make me really sad.

Some have constantly stated that they want a more "professional" Sonya who isn;t so hot-headed and compulsive (as stated in her bio), but, I disagree. I like this personality and this attitude. I don't want her to become another robot-soldier who is pretty much "the perfect example", if you know what I mean. Sonya's well known for those traits and that's whats made her so lovable over the years. She's professional and great in the things that really matter, imo, so, having certain cons like being compulsive and hot-headed just make her interesting and enjoyable. It's also nice you have someone like Jax next to her, who helps to balance things out.

Another wonderful trait is her emotional side. Sonya's one of the few characters you can actually relate to (even if you don't have double D's to parade around), one of the most human, and well done.

All that being said, I don't find MK9 Sonya perfect and it's probably the first time I've been severally disappointed with her. This is due to three very important issues:

1) No fucking shirt under her vest:

It looks to me that NRS doesn't know their characters as well as the fans do. All the females fell victim to their stupid decisions of "sexing them up". Sonya's always been great and sexy by showing little. She's still the most decently dressed, but, damn, that was so out of character for her. I don't even mind the heels that much, but, when I look back at her badass boots, I just want to kill someone.

Thank God for that glorious alternate costume they gave her. The "Lara Blade/Sonya Croft" look is absolutely badass and its my favorite costume for her, ever.

2) No fucking Bicycle Kicks that go up and down:

What a huge disappointment! I don't care how awesome her Arc Kick is, NO MOVE should have replaced this one. It's just stupid. This move has become a trademark of hers and MKvsDC made sure to make it an orgasmic experience. I'm happy its at least referenced in her Babality and X-Ray, so, hopefully we'll see it back in the next game.

3) No Kiss of Death Fatality:

Absolute bullshit.

I have ranted about this since it was revealed. I don't have the time to spread all my poison about this right now, but, I'll make sure to come back and do it tonight.

Sure, MKDA had Sonya without all of her trademark specials (though it did introduce that glorious Kiss), but, this was pretty much the case for everyone and their special moves, so, I wasn't as insulted as I felt in MKA and this game.

Overall, I am definitely pleased with MK9 Sonya. She's got one of the most impressive X-Rays, most popular costume (alt), excellent fun gameplay, an almost flawless portrayal in story mode, and all of her special moves are as awesome as ever. She's fun and she's a badass. Oh, and she looks hot.

Yay for Sonya Blade.

I hope that the next game does her justice by giving her a primary costume that looks more like her MKvsDC (those freaking gloves and awesome straps around her body rock...plus that shirt!) but that also resembles a more "futuristic" approach:

I wouldn't mind a costume like that. Or something along these lines:

I agree that she is in DANGER of falling down the same route of the rest of the female cast. And I seriously hope that never happens. I would die.

Excellent thread, Garlador! So great that it was you the one to tackle the glorious Miss Blade. I actually haven't finished writing, but, I'll be back later tonight.
Jerrod
About Me
MKO Moderator, Story Writer, Actor
Signature by Pred
09/30/2011 06:25 PM (UTC)
Ahh, Sonya, the support behind Rosetta and Derek TickleMuffins. I liked that she sat out of the series in MK2, but we knew it was because she was captured, not dead. It was one of those things that made me like MK; main characters weren't always going to be there, for whatever reason. What I don't like is how that was sort of retconned. The damsel-in-distress idea be damned, she went down fighting, and the goal wasn't to save her in that game, it was to save the world. She stood in Kahn's arena, defiant, not sitting there weeping like a little girl. If you were raised on Shaolin Monks though, then everything I'm saying's going over your head.
Anyway, Sonya in this game was as I expected her to be, really. Her story didn't change that much, aside from some more details given about Kano's involvement in her life, and her having issues about her dad. I wish they had kept up the whole brother thing, but hey, maybe her family's a lot more dysfunctional than we know.
I really don't have much more to say. She was tough, she survived, and she'll be in the next game. My only beef's that she never had her climactic battle with Kano on the Rooftop. If there was one thing that needed to happen, it was her throwing him off a roof, except this time, Motaro wouldn't have been there to revive him. grin
Speaking of Kano, do him next time! smile
daryui
About Me
09/30/2011 08:27 PM (UTC)
MKDA Sonya > any others.

My thoughts...I don't feel like typing more.
lebronjames
About Me

Kombat Returns 2015

09/30/2011 10:04 PM (UTC)
4 words: sonya is a badass "kerri hoskins".
Shinomune
10/01/2011 02:37 AM (UTC)
queve
10/01/2011 05:06 PM (UTC)

Sonya Blade said:

Lisetn up, sissies! When I give an order you DO what I SAY, because at the end of the day, I STILL have more BALLS than you do!

YES, SIR!

Glorious. smile

Garlador Wrote:
In a game dominated by men, in a time when the most popular female game girl was Princess Peach, Sonya was there on the front-lines of turning the tide against the helpless damsel in distress and throwing down with the big boys.

(I'd rather face Goro than Sonya on a bad day)

Absolutely!

Garlador Wrote:
Still, Sonya Blade is not only one of Mortal Kombat's most lasting and iconic fighters, she's easily one of the toughest chicks in the entire medium as well as being a trailblazer that paved the way for the likes of heroines such as Lara Croft, Alyx Vance, and even Anya Stroud.

And this is exactly one of the reasons why she became my favorite since day 1.

Garlador Wrote:
(Make a blonde joke. Go on, I dare you)

Loved this.

Garlador Wrote:
After her absence in MK2, Sonya was the FIRST confirmed character of MK3, if only to assuage her sizable militia of fans from burning their studio to the ground in a stunning display of proto-feminist outrage.

You can even see me in that picture! I'm next to the guy who looks really angry.

Garlador Wrote:
...Sweet merciful Elder Gods, she was portrayed by Kerri Hoskins, notable for making it into the Guiness Book of World Records by surpassing the previous record holder, the Sun, as the HOTTEST THING IN OUR SOLAR SYSTEM.

I lol'ed. And I agree.

Garlador Wrote:
never see Sonya lose a fight and get disqualified, but it can be assumed she DID lose since only Liu Kang made it to the final match to save Earthrealm.

Sexist pigs. They should have shown what happened exactly. Maybe she got disqualified for breaking some rule? Like saving Jax or something like that?...still, it makes little sense.

Garlador Wrote:
(You really don't want to know how often Kano smells it (her hair) when he's feeling lonesome)

This would make a fantastic plot twist.

More than enough people have suggested that he probably feels some sick twisted attraction to her. Wouldn't be surprising considering how nasty Kano is.

Garlador Wrote:
Digging further, Sonya's ending has her quitting the Special Forces, roaming the country in a deep depression, suffering a psychotic break, and suddenly being haunted by the apparent ghost of her long-lost father. I'm sure I'm not alone here in going, "um, that's nice, but that's more than a little... RANDOM..."

I personally really like the new father sub-plot they gave her. Maybe he played a significant role in MK's past? Who knows, maybe he is somehow connected to something MK related that might help Sonya in her future mission. We don't know what happened to him, why he disappeared, or how he died. Hopefully we'll get some answers.

And yes, I too was disappointed at the zero mention of her brother, partner, and possible fiance.

Garlador Wrote:
But that's what's so great about her. Sonya is the one that jumped into the fray to fight with the big boys, spanked them silly, and sent them crying home to their mommas. She's the diva of destruction with the legendary legs whose neck-snapping capabilities are storied and widely known. She's the militant minx with the kiss of death that can pull off being as tough as a Tonka truck yet still be as irresistible as chocolate frosting on your birthday cake. She's got the beauty to make the men gape, the brains to give them the run-around, and the brawn to ensure they won't get the chance to underestimate her twice.
That's a well-rounded, strongly-written, and highly-appreciated character in the MK mythos... and the fact that her gameplay is just as compelling and her moves and finishers just as memorable only sweetens the entire package.
Sonya, baby, glad to see you in this game, glad you survived, and I'm glad you'll be returning in future installments.

Quoted for being the absolute truth.

And regarding that one question: Did she rock in this game, or do you consider her incomplete without a standard bicycle kick or a classic Kiss of Death fatality?

Both.

She did rock this game overall. A badass and sexy presentation with a super fun gameplay and the return of most of her best and memorable special moves.

However, it is still a real unforgivable shame that they removed those two significant trademarks. Really lame. Really stupid. Really unnecessary. And really disappointing.

Hopefully they'll get it right next game.

And she better not be fighting in a freaking swim-suit. Or I'm out!
Garlador
10/01/2011 07:30 PM (UTC)
queve Wrote:

I'm sorry to have to break it to you, but Sonya's default costume for the next game was hinted at awhile ago.

Okay, seriously though, I'm still DYING for NRS to give her a klassic costume. If they don't include it in this game, I'm begging them to put it in the next game.

Here's a little mock-up I did to share the general idea.
TomTaz
About Me

"Retirement my ass!"

10/01/2011 10:38 PM (UTC)
Garlador Wrote:
queve Wrote:

I'm sorry to have to break it to you, but Sonya's default costume for the next game was hinted at awhile ago.

Okay, seriously though, I'm still DYING for NRS to give her a klassic costume. If they don't include it in this game, I'm begging them to put it in the next game.

Absolutely fantastic. A very nice take on the classic MK3 look. Great job. It would be awesome if this were to become available.
samuhai
About Me

10/02/2011 12:37 AM (UTC)
Garlador Wrote:
queve Wrote:

That DOES look pretty wicked! I always thought that if she had a retro, I'd rather it be her MK4 (my personal favourite, and I know it'd b e a big ass long-stretch)...
But that's convinced me :) I k now it doesn't make ANY sense story wise, but oh well. It looks cool ^_^

Oh, and Quevey? I love you ^_^ Haha. Your enthusiasm makes me feel better about my own.

As for the rest.... all I can really say is... YAY OMFG SONYA OMG *gaygasm*

She was the first character I ever played as, when my cousin set-up MK4 on playstation. I saw a hot-blonde who ripped people in half and holy cow I was in love. Since then I've had a fascination with blondes, (Princess Peach, Buffy the Vampire Slayer) and holy crap she'll always b e number one for me.

I'll start with the disappointments.

As has b een stated ad nauseum. Add an UNDERSHIT (white preferably)... Remove the high heels. And bam. PERFECT Sonya. Flawless. But no... sad The twins got brought out to do b attle of their own against gravity.
And seriously. High heels? On COMBAT boots? Who the heck is designing these women? They have a serious flaw in both costume design and respect for women. Ah well. It's a minute detail.

Like Queve, I'm also disappointed the bike kicks are gone. They were a sweet move, but I am quite satisfied with the arc kick. So freaking handy!

Not a fan of the crappy kiss of death too. Almost useless except when the opponent jumps in, and is pretty much pointless. I've used it like... twice?

Her second fatality. On itself, I like it. It's somethign knew for her, it's simple (which I like), it's efficient. But when you realise what she's missing out on (her kiss of deaths), and what it's up against (a million and one decapitations and limb rips)... it's lacking...

IN SAYING ALL THAT

This is still the most epic presentation of Sonya, certainly game-play wise. Great little tricks to play with, some r eally cool moves (I love the tackle-pound on their face-kick them in the nutsack military stance move)

Loved her role in the story, though i WISH that she'd gotten to throw Kano from the roof... I mean... he survived it either way.... why not show it? sad

All in all, I can't WAIT to see her in MK10, cos she's definitely got to be in it.

Hopefully h er and Johnny will be war-ravaged heroes, trying to gather new fighters tobattle the netherrealm. Hopefully they'll also be bonding a little too.

I for one would LOVE a more official JC-Sonya relationship, if only hints. There's nothing wrong with a love story being done in MK... It happens in real life, it happens in real war. People fall for each other, and it can provide compelling motivation. So long as it's not cheesy, over-done, or all too common (that is, every girl doesn't need a "love interest" and vice versa)
Darkmage41
10/02/2011 06:51 PM (UTC)
Oh my! I haven’t visited the MK board for a while but today as if through some psychic pull I was drawn to the Boards only to spot this post. Let me just commend you on a stupendous job you’ve done, everything hit the right note with frightening pin point accuracy even the humor?!

I have nothing further to add except that you’ve paid an impeccable tribute to the great dame of Mortal Kombat and it was a privilege reading your post.
Garlador
10/02/2011 07:29 PM (UTC)
Darkmage41 Wrote:
Oh my! I haven’t visited the MK board for a while but today as if through some psychic pull I was drawn to the Boards only to spot this post. Let me just commend you on a stupendous job you’ve done, everything hit the right note with frightening pin point accuracy even the humor?!

I have nothing further to add except that you’ve paid an impeccable tribute to the great dame of Mortal Kombat and it was a privilege reading your post.

Glad you stumbled upon it with such fortuitous timing then, and I'm glad you enjoyed it! I have links at the top to several others (including a special thread dedicated to Sonya's twin partners) that you might fancy as well.
Ninja_Mime
10/02/2011 08:23 PM (UTC)
Don't you already have a Sonya thread?
TomTaz
About Me

"Retirement my ass!"

10/02/2011 09:07 PM (UTC)
*edit* You should try your hand at an MK4 costume edit.
Jaded-Raven
10/02/2011 09:14 PM (UTC)
Ninja_Mime Wrote:
Don't you already have a Sonya thread?

If you have cared to read them, you would have known the differences between the two threads.
Espio872
10/02/2011 10:03 PM (UTC)
Well as usual another superbly written thread, a great tribute to one of the most iconic female characters in gaming history.

I've always loved Sonya, she's the tough chick with a good heart and fiercely loyal, she reminded me and still does of strong women I grew up around.

I'm a huge fan of acrobatics and non-stereotypical warriors throwing down and kicking butt, I love that Sonya brawls with the boys and does it better than many of them.

Her personality in this game was great, tough as nails, yet emotional and a great team player.

I liked her ending and I think that if they incorporate some of it into her future it could be interesting, I want to see Sonya struggle heavily, she lost Jax, one of her closest allies and closest person to her in the world most likely in addition to people who she survived cut throat battles with and the bond that would inherently be built. It truly would take its toll on someone's sanity to lose 10 people you care about in the blink of an eye.

I hope Johnny and Kai are there to help pick up the pieces, but mostly Johnny because by now my excitement for a Johnn/Sonya relationship is no secrettongue

Sonya is my second favorite character, so I'm elated she survived, after seeing my favorite Stryker and other well liked characters like Smoke, Jade, Nightwolf, and Jax fall, my first reaction was, "oh crap.." then I saw Sonya and JC were alive, so that really made it less disappointing and has me excited for their future.

In regards to her costumes, I wanna like her primary, it was almost perfect, then the high heels and no shirt threw the whole costume out of whack for me.

The alternate is super cool though, she's wearing work boots, awesome green shorts, and what looks like a sports bra/tank top, love the hat and the glasses are okay. I love how cool and tough she looks in this costume, like she's going to go mountain climbing or go some early morning runs before her military briefings, how Sonya should look, serious, yet super cool.

Garlador Wrote:

Great edit, really great. This is my most requested retro ever and it looks great, even with the update to 3D it still holds up to the test of time.
Insider2000
About Me

Keep dunking your Kenshi breadsticks into your Skarlet sauce, people! The main course isn't coming for a while, and you never know when it's going to be disappointing.

10/03/2011 12:14 AM (UTC)
Off-Topic: I know everyone hated 'Zero-Suit Jill', but I love Jill and that costume too much to care. Seriously, Jill is awesome. I'm probably a bigger Resident Evil fan than a Mortal Kombat fan.

On-Topic: I've always loved Sonya to some extent. When I watched the cartoon as a kid, it kind of destroyed my opinion of her. I thought she was a bitch....except for that one episode where her and Stryker had a bit of issues, so I shipped the hell out of them. I was fool....shipping people. I don't ship Stryker with anyone but me, now.

But as I grew older, Sonya pretty much became my favorite female regular, pretty much right on par with Kitana. My favorite female (Sareena) only leads by the other two simply because she's underused.

I've got a whole lot of love for Sonya. While I often wish I could be like Stryker or Sub-Zero, Sonya is the person I relate to most. I don't trust people very easily, but when I do, I hold them closer than anyone else.

Honestly, I'm extremely happy that she survived.
Scar_Subby
10/03/2011 04:50 AM (UTC)
Sonya is an amazing character in the series and is probably my second favorite female behind only Jade.

I didn't like the whole daddy plotline they gave to her but I actually am glad that she survived. Something I simply cannot say about Johnny Cage. Sonya to me is as tough as they come and a person who would try anyway she can to survive and basically would have looked Sindel in her face and said "You ain't killin this b**ch, b**ch.lol". While Johnny just comes off as a complete joke to me still and I feel the only reason he survived this time was to give her a romance which is ridiculous to me. I completely understand her surviving, but Johnny was kind of a "no, why did you of all people survive?" kind of thing.lol

Anyway hope they do something good with her next game considering she is one of the only survivors. Some people would be against this but to play up on her rivalry with Kano, I think honestly a rape storyline would make that rivalry ten times better.

Like the reason she hates Kano so much and just will not stop trying to kill him is because he raped her earlier in her career. I know that's a bit of a touchy subject and almost too reallife for this game, but they always beat around the bush on why she exactly does hate Kano so much and honestly if it was revealed that is what happened it would make their rivalry so much better. To me anyway. I'm not trying to turn this into any kind of drama either it's just something I feel would give the rivalry so much more complexity. Also it would make her fans even more in touch with her on why she does hate Kano so much and would just make Kano look even more like a ruthless son of a b**ch. Also him carrying her hair and such would have even more backstory as well. I feel like her victimization would be her tough skin later in life and why she doesn't take sh*t off of anyone. What do you guys think?
Garlador
10/03/2011 05:06 AM (UTC)
Scar_Subby Wrote: Like the reason she hates Kano so much and just will not stop trying to kill him is because he raped her earlier in her career. I know that's a bit of a touchy subject and almost too reallife for this game, but they always beat around the bush on why she exactly does hate Kano so much and honestly if it was revealed that is what happened it would make their rivalry so much better. To me anyway. I'm not trying to turn this into any kind of drama either it's just something I feel would give the rivalry so much more complexity. Also it would make her fans even more in touch with her on why she does hate Kano so much and would just make Kano look even more like a ruthless son of a b**ch. Also him carrying her hair and such would have even more backstory as well. I feel like her victimization would be her tough skin later in life and why she doesn't take sh*t off of anyone. What do you guys think?

Touchy subject indeed!

Personally, I wouldn't want to see it, but for very specific reasons.
1) I don't see Kano as a rapist. A perv, maybe. A killer, definitely. He is a sadist, but he's always been the sort shown to get his jollies from torture, fighting, and killing, not from any sexual thrills or conquests.
2) I barely find romance to fit within the context of a fighting game tournament and warzone, let alone heavy and emotional subjects like, well, rape. To me, that's dark territory best left for games like Silent Hill to cover.
3) I find it unnecessary. As explained in prior versions of their rivalry, Kano killed people she liked or loved, either her "partner", or others. In the new game, she even says "a lot of our guys got killed because of him" and then says "I'm the one he used", so I think she's the one that trust him, fed her teammates his fake information, and they all died because of it. I imagine she feels very guilty, yet at the same time very angry. That's all that's needed. That's all that's really necessary. Adding in sex and rape really just dirties up that rather clean stance on things.
4) Let's be honest here; Sonya being sexually victimized doesn't seem like the sort of thing that, well, fits a woman of her ruthless skills, training, ability, or strength, not any more than Johnny Cage being sexually attacked by Mileena or Liu Kang becoming a victim of Tanya's sexual aggression. For a woman that can rip a man apart with her legs alone, I don't see any man attempting to take advantage of her walking away in anything less than a pool of blood, spilled vital organs, and a shattered sense of manliness, self-worth, and belief in a benevolent God.

It's just subject matter I don't feel meshes with either Sonya or the series proper. Not saying it's necessarily a bad idea, but in my opinion it would be inappropriate for both character and franchise.
Scar_Subby
10/03/2011 05:22 AM (UTC)
You make some good points.

I guess I felt that Sonya saying "I'm the one he used" also is a line that made me think he used her for something else.

Also In the context of her rape I was thinking like maybe he raped her before she was the tough fighter she is now, and maybe that's even one of the reasons she went into the special forces to begin with. So that she could get revenge on the evil bastard who did that to her.

Like I said though, I can see why it wouldn't fit in with the context of mortal kombat, however, I have always thought that would be a good reason why she did hate him as much as she did. Also her friendship with Jax could be explored more there as well. Maybe Jax is the one who stopped Kano from killing Sonya and she ultimately became almost sibling like with Jax.

I just feel it is an area that could be explored.

Also on Kano's feelings toward Sonya, I don't see it as any sort of romance on his part, but merely him being a sick evil bastard.lol. He just likes to use women and thinks it's easy to do. The manner in which he was portrayed in the first mortal kombat movie also made me think this about him. He just seemed to almost talk down to Sonya like he could do whatever he wanted with her. I know the movie has nothing to do with actual story just saying his portayal in that movie made me get that feeling from his character.

The timeline of events would go like this for me. Sonya joins the Special forces by wishes from her dad.

believing she is ready her father sends her on a mission too early along with Jax.

While on this mission she encounters Kano and tries to kill him because he is the target, but he then catches her off guard and does the deed. Jax hears her screams and comes to save her. After this Sonya starts training harder than she ever has and becomes dedicated to her training knowing that one day she will get revenge on the man who did that to her.
Perhaps I am thinking into it too much, Im just a really story oriented person.

Or maybe I just want another character to get raped because my favorite character got raped so bad this time around (Sub-Zero).lol

All joking aside though, I just feel it could be a good plot device for her rivalry with Kano, and subsequent friendship with Jax.
Espio872
10/03/2011 05:41 AM (UTC)
Oh and I forgot, no bicycle kicks, was not a happy campersadtongue
Pages: 10
Download on the App StoreGet it on Google Play
© 1998-2024 Shadow Knight Media, LLC. All rights reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Mortal Kombat, the dragon logo and all character names are trademarks and copyright of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.