Garladors KOTW - Week 10 - Sektor Discussion
posted11/06/2011 05:59 PM (UTC)by
Garlador
Salutations, intrepid MKO readers and lurkers! Your gracious host Garlador has roused himself from his deep and restless sleep and scattered his dreams of rainbows and ponies to the wayside to bring you more discussions of all that makes the MK world turn.

We've dealt with Sheeva, Nightwolf, Mileena, Smoke, Shang Tsung, Stryker, Reptile, Sonya's boobs, and Sonya Blade. Up next, we've got everyone's favorite ketchup-colored robot, Sektor.

(not to be confused with an actual ketchup robot)

WHO IS SEKTOR?
Sektor (also known as LK-9T9... also known as "codename: bleeble blabble) is a member of the Lin Kuei clan of ninja assassins, the first to get cybernized into a cyborg, and the son of the Grand Master of the clan. He may also be a world-class motocross champion.

He's also the only one thus far to show any interest in becoming a robot, since every other robot warrior really hated the idea... which makes you wonder how they got away with it when 3-out-of-4 cyborgs in the series thus far REALLY opposed the idea... to the point of leaving the clan entirely.

(I don't think Sektor took the hint)

Also, Sektor was kind of an unlikeable dick right from the very beginning.

(The Lin Kuei are kinda like high priest Vatican assassin warlocks, right?)

Sektor became automated into an efficient killing machine and became a power player in two different continuities; in the first, he flees the Lin Kuei after Sub-Zero showed him who was boss and started up his own little robot village in Japan called the Tekunin.

(Like this, only without Robin Williams howling in your ear every 5 seconds)

In the new continuity, Sub-Zero, er, has some problems, and thus Sektor is free to kill his father and take control of the Lin Kuei himself, where Sektor's cold logic concludes that they'd better align themselves with the guy who wants nothing more than to conquer and enslave him and everything else in Earthrealm.

(Because cold hard math ALWAYS makes sense, right?)

Sektor's also got a bit of a hard-on for his trademark missile and flamethrower attacks.

(Truly the weapons of a stealthy ninja. They'd never even know he'd been there...)

WHY IS SEKTOR IN THE SERIES?
Sektor's debut in MK3 was during one of the odd transitional periods of MK history. They had ditched their rainbow of ninjas (even Scorpion!) and decided they needed something to fill the prerequisite ninja void they'd created.

So, after asking various grade school boys what they thought was awesome, and rejecting their answers of "Batman" (give it time...), they settled on their second choice: "ROBOTS".

(But are Sektor and Cyrax "more than meets the eye"?)

Well, because this is the MK franchise we're talking about, they weren't about to settle on just ONE robot. No, we needed many robots, and, in true MK fashion, we started getting them in all the colors of the rainbow.

(MK is basically CareBears for adults, isn't it...)

Thus, it was planned from the beginning that we'd have multi-colored ninja robots added to our mystical death tournament and slapping the prior fantasy storylines in the face with a blend of sci-fi techno that only the 90's could produce.

(And I'm sure it was EXTREME!!! to the radical MAXXX HARDCORE!!)

One of two creations, codenamed "Mustard" and "Ketchup", Sektor was pieced together from the very best materials the MK team could find... which was at least two Halloween costume shops, one sports depot, and probably a trip to Staples for some masking tape. Like the mad scientist/MacGuyvers they are, they went to work creating their monster.

SEKTOR'S STORY-
Sektor was introduced in MK3 as the first of many robot warriors the Grand Master of the Lin Kuei had decided to create to make the clan stronger. Sektor even volunteered for the procedure, being a lover of technology and all.

(Perhaps to an unhealthy degree)

Sektor then was tasked with tracking down the rogue members Smoke and Sub-Zero, and together with Cyrax snatched Smoke while Sub-Zero got away.

And, well, the story gets weird after that. Originally, in MK4, he was sent to spy on the apparently malfunctioning Cyrax when Cyrax had been recovered... but MK4 shows that Cyrax instead had joined the Special Forces, so no one really knows what Sektor did during that time period.

Things got interesting in MK:Deadly Alliance... even though he didn't show up in that game (or the next). Apparently Sektor was a bit insane and his programming started deteriorating. He concluded HE should lead the Lin Kuei, killed his daddy, and was about to lead the clan down a dark path of robotized evil when Sub-Zero made his dramatic entrance like every romantic lead bursting into a church at the end of a romantic movie to halt the girl's wedding to the wrong guy.

("Chick Flicks" would be far more bearable if the former jerk boyfriend had his spine ripped out more often. Take note, Hollywood.)

Sub-Zero proceeded to beat Sektor silly all the way out of China, where the cyborg retreated to the one place he knew he'd receive little opposition, the one place in the world that LOVES robots more than any other country in the world.

JAPAN!

(It is a rule in Japan that every show MUST include giant robots... yes, even news broadcasts and History channel documentaries)

Sektor then began creating a rival clan to the Lin Kuei, the Tekunin, using all the Japanese ninjas, thugs, and hobos off the street he could find to one day get back at Sub-Zero and show him how superior he was. Well, when he wasn't getting hunted down and beat up by Sonya Blade in Armageddon.

(Yes ma'am)

Not sure what happened to Sektor in Armageddon. We can conclude he got killed or self-destructed or died in a manner befitting a badass killer robot.

(But did he learn to cry before he died?)

Regardless, the Reboot Train arrived at Overhaul Central and Sektor was on board for more familiar territory.

Cue this game, where Sektor isn't just back, he's retconned into the very first tournament as a paid-for fighter on Shang Tsung's payroll. And he's HUMAN at this point.

(Kinda like this, only in reverse, and once again with less Robin Williams)

His partner Cyrax, however, gets talked out of fighting for the sake of money from a demonic sorcerer bent on world domination, something Sektor wasn't too keen on letting Cyrax just walk away from.

(C'mon, folks. If any character in Mortal Kombat looks even REMOTELY like Rich Divizio, DON'T TRUST THEM!)

Well, Cyrax beats him up and quits the Lin Kuei, only for them both to show up as robots several story chapters later with no details on what happened.

(Though I imagine it was just the rest of Smoke's now-wasted storyline)

Cyrax and Sektor hunt down Smoke, who escapes, and Sub-Zero, who doesn't, and pledge their support for Kahn in exchange for letting them outright just take him from the tournament where the fate of the world hangs in the balance.
(So, um, does this mean Sub-Zero forfeits the tournament? I mean, he just beat Scorpion... so shouldn't he advance? Can they DO that? How does that work in the rulebook, Elder Gods? This tournament sucks!)

Sektor then just becomes faceless badguy grunt number 62 that gets beat up and we don't feel bad because he's evil and destroying technology is always fun.

Sektor's ending is just him taking over the Lin Kuei, which was expected with Sub-Zero out of the picture, and letting everyone know that the Grand Master was his equally delusional daddy.

(Their mutual love of the color red and douchebaggery was a father/son bond even Sektor's act of patricide couldn't break)

SEKTOR'S FUTURE-
Surprisingly, Sektor's still kickin' it. Where other, bigger villains were dropping like flies and the heroes got cut down like it was hero harvesting season, Sektor endured to torment us another day.

So what does that mean? Well, a couple of things, both good and bad.

For starters, this means that Sektor is still in charge of the Lin Kuei and cybnerizing them up left and right, thus ensuring Earthrealm has a powerful new threat to contend with.

(Fear and tremble at his unstoppable robot army!)

On the other hand, it's the exact same plot as before, except the Tekunin no longer exist and Sektor no longer has a powerful rival to square off against and drive his quest for augmented perfection forward. He basically became the USA after the Soviet Union dissolved and the Cold War was over.

("Rocky" no longer has his "Drago" and we are the poorer for it)

It's anyone's guess what Sektor's going to do next. Will he cross paths with the Special Forces? Will he ally himself with the heroes during Shinnok's invasion? Will Cyrax regain his humanity and seek to defeat him? Will our heroes ever get off planet Namek?

(Sorry. Got my narrations mixed up)

One thing I would like to discuss is Sektor's "humanity", because, for a "mindless, emotionless, obedient" robot cyborg, Sektor is by far the most independent, expressive, and free-thinking... to the point I'm not so sure Sektor IS a mindlessly obedient robot.

I mean, he's got that brutal laugh in his attacks even after becoming a robot. He's expressed rage and anger many times before. Hell, one of his first acts ever was to turn against his creators and kill his father.

(Robots rebelling against their creators? No way! That's NEVER happened before!)

Some chalked it up to him being insane, or his programming deteriorating.... my own little theory is Sektor altered his programming before the cybernization procedure to ensure he retained most of his free-will and personal goals, using his father's plans to make himself stronger so he could usurp his father, take control of the clan, and create an empire all his own, all under the guise of being a "good little boy soldier seeking to please his daddy".

(The lesson to take away from this is your children can and will try to kill you and take their inheritance. So do your part - Rubber Up!)

But that's just a theory. Who knows? Sektor's been one of those characters that, unlike all the other cyborgs, he's just sort of flitted in and out of the story and little of his actions, storylines, or appearances have made much sense or had much of an impact. He's continually set up as an evil, powerful threat, yet that threat has rarely materialized. I'll give him credit for not being just another bland lackey of Kahn's, but there's a pretty good reason people seem far more invested in Smoke and Cyrax over Sektor's rather forgettable appearances.

That said, he's got a great set of moves, some sickeningly twisted fatalities, a suitable level of menace, and, again, a clear path forward for future games to cause further troubles. I fully expect him to return, and I only hope he's put to more use than as that guy that shows up when it's time to get kicked in the head by one of the many Lin Kuei guys that doesn't think joining him in robot heaven is what they want.

(We didn't want it either, Michael Bay!)

Okay, so sound off! What do you think about Sektor? Do you like his redesign? How 'bout his human form? Do you like any parts of his story? Any parts you miss? Are you happy he survived? Do you think he's fine the way he is, or does anyone have any ideas on how to "upgrade" his standing in the MK universe?

And let me know who I should cover next!

Okay guys, been fun. Garlador out.
Jaded-Raven
10/08/2011 05:56 AM (UTC)
Garlador Wrote:
rainbows and ponies

PINK FLUFFY UNICORNS DANCING ON RAINBOWS!!!

Sorry, I'm not sure what happened there...

Anyways, another great thread, Garly. ^^ I was hoping for Jade though, as you seemed to hint at it in an earlier thread of yours... *grumble grumble*
AwesomeTaco
10/08/2011 06:08 AM (UTC)
My face lit up when I saw this! Great job Garlador. These KOTW's are the only reason I visit the MK2011 forum...
Noobsmoke92
10/08/2011 07:24 AM (UTC)
This is awesome as always Garlador smile I want Sektor to stay Grandmaster of Lin Kuei for a game or two,to see what he made of clan,are they more powerful and more technology-based?

I am also VERY curious what will be Raiden's reaction to Sektor being Grandmaster...

Do Cyrax or Jade next please )
raidenthefridge
About Me

Thanks to MINION for taking my Siginity!

10/08/2011 08:23 AM (UTC)
Good read as always.

I also think that Sektor retained his humanity this time around, Perhaps his blind loyalty was reason enough to let him keep it, but Sub-Zero and Cyrax needed reprogrammed.
keyara412
10/08/2011 09:04 AM (UTC)
Nice post....Sektor has always been my least favorite cyborg...probably because he's all evil and whatnot... but i did enjoy his new look in this game; not as much as i like the old moto-cross style outfits of MK3 (lol @ Mugatu being an inspiration for his look), but that's just me. But as far as changes go, his new look was good. Also, his alt was a surprise. Glad to finally have him playable in his human form. it was kind of shocking that he would kill his own father so that he could become Grand Master; also i wonder what his father meant when he warned Sektor "at a cost"...... guess we'll have to wait until MK10.....

b.t.w. I agree Jade should be next XD
Nephrite
10/08/2011 01:08 PM (UTC)
MK2011 Sektor:

Gameplay: BRILLIANT! (my 2nd fave overall)

Design: BRILLIANT primary design, one of my all time favorite designs in MK! His alt is "meh" though, but I don't care about human Sektor anyway.

Story: meh

Sektor is climbing up my rankings and it's mostly thanks to his brilliant gameplay. I loved using him in Armageddon, especially against boss characters as you could juggle them with him easily. So, that's now two games in a row that I'm having an absolute blast playing as him, that's a big deal in my book.

I loved both of his Armageddon looks and I crazy love his primary design in MK2011, so that's also helping him climb my rankings. I enjoy him for what he is, a cold killing machine, and I hope he comes back with his army of robots as a 3rd, independent force that messes up the plans of both, good and bad guys. I hope he does something major and I wouldn't mind him as a boss character in one of the future games, but also keep him playable as he's way too much fun to not control him.

I think he's my 5th favorite character at the moment and definitely my fave cyborg/robot in any franchise ever!

Finally, shoutouts to Sektroll, an amazing Sektor player on a tournament scene. It is a pleasure to watch him play and do justice to this heavily gameplay-wise overlooked character, imo. I just wish there was more footage of him playing out there. Also, Maxter has a sick Sektor too that's just as fun to watch!

EDIT: I'd still like to see Kung Lao next. I'm also wondering if you're planning on doing this for the unplayable boss characters as well?
Icebaby
10/08/2011 07:14 PM (UTC)
Once a dick, always a dick.

Thought they did Sektor very well before his automation. Enjoyed how he was as a character in story mode. I just don't like fighting against him in arcade mode on Expert. Always spams that teleport move like crazy.
DG1OA
10/08/2011 07:44 PM (UTC)
One thing I found annoying about Sektor was his involvement in Scorpion's chapter. Sektor says almost nothing to Scorpion. He doesn't antagonize him at all, it's Cyrax that does all the antagonizing. Yet Scorpion ends up fighting and beating both simultaneously, all so he can end up looking oh-so-cool and badass, while Cyrax and Sektor are made to look like chumps. Sektor especially, since unlike Cyrax he doesn't get his own chapter, and is portrayed as just another lackey. Scorpion should have only fought Cyrax if Sektor was going to be such an afterthought.
drpvfx
About Me

10/08/2011 10:37 PM (UTC)
Sektor's cool.
I liked both him and Cyrax during MK3,
but I've not been as big a fan since UMK3,
when all my favorite characters came back (or made playable debuts).

Though it's not terribly popular, I loved his Trash Compactor fatality,
though the new Scarecrow is a lot cooler, IMO.
(It's one of my favorite fatalities in this game).

After his MKGold ending, I saw Sektor
as the most genuinely "evil" character from Earthrealm
(and yes, I know Shang is from Earthrealm.
But Shang never killed Sonya and Jax just to watch them die tongue )

I *love* his new design (as well as Cyrax')-
I think the sleek, all-metal look is a *vast* improvement over the BMX days
(though that was a cool improvisation back in the day).

I don't really play as him in MK9-
His gameplay does't really vibe with me.
He does have two of the best fatalities, though smile
Nephrite
10/08/2011 10:41 PM (UTC)
^ True, true, I forgot to mention how awesome both of his fatalities are, especially the missile barrage one!
Shadaloo
About Me
MK Khronology: 58.49% complete...
10/08/2011 11:48 PM (UTC)

Magnificent as always, but I've gotta disagree though about Sektor's appearances being forgettable, especially in comparison to Cyrax. He definitely didn't leave much of an impact in MK3 or even MK4/G, but I think he accomplished quite a fair bit starting with the 3D games; taking over Japan and forming a massive army with a giant warship is pretty impressive. as far as badguy accomplishments in the MK world go. Maybe not up there with snapping the chosen one's neck or anything, but he's managed to do more than most.

The trek through said ship was the only part of MKA's Konquest mode I came away loving. Cyrax just kind of, well, got stuck in Outworld while on a mission during MKDA, and then did Nitara a favor. It's something, but he didn't make too much of an impact after he started working with Jax, Sonya et. al.

Perhaps MK9's greatest omission is the chance we've missed to see the conversion process in progress. Oh, those rumors of a gory lab that turned out to be the Flesh Pits. Sigh. That aside, It's good that they didn't screw aroud with what worked about his plot, and tacked on what the cyber-ninjas desperately needed; background and, of course, personality. He comes off as this vicious prick, this over-privileged child in a way, and is great for it.

His story contained no surprises, which I'm grateful for. He's advanced over the course of one game to a point that took him years to accomplish previously. Perhaps he will attempt to rename the Lin Kuei the Tekunin, or after his inevitable beatdown, he'll take the converted with him. We'll see.

I was rather surprised at the fact that he does seem to be in full control after the process. Perhaps if you don't object to it, the brain-razing effects don't kick in, or something. Or perhaps he worked out an arrangement with his old man to keep his brain. I was a bit put off at first, but that chuckle of his is just too good. I think I like him this way, better than, say "YOU WILL ACQUIRE PARTS FOR SEKTOR". Remember that?

And how much fun is this guy to play? He's....a ninja tank. That's all I can say, a ninja tank. It shouldn't be possible to play clunky but sneaky, and that's what he is. While my favorite character may be Smoke, Sektor is probably my best overall, and that's because he's just such a blast to use.

I love both of his fatalities; although I have to wonder what the hell is up with that Scarecrow maneuver. The hell is that thing, a pinwheel? A customizable folded-up steel lawnchair? Sektor keeps the weirdest shit in his chest.

Still want Cyrax, but seeing as how we just covered present/former Cyber-ninja 2 of 3/4, I'll suggest maybe we could focus on Queen Bitch next?
Arthur Zonatto
10/08/2011 11:55 PM (UTC)
AwesomeTaco Wrote:
My face lit up when I saw this! Great job Garlador. These KOTW's are the only reason I visit the MK2011 forum...

This.

Oh, first time I post in one of these KOTW threads, always read them, but I think I don't have important contribuition to the discussion...

Anyways, great read, as always, glad you picked Ketchup, because he's like, my 4th favorite (Shinnok, Kabal and Cage the 3 before him), I like your sense of humor, and you make some good points in all of these (Sektor's douchebaggery being his free will, him not being as stealth).

And I love his laugh. Next one, Kabal? Or Cage?

You are one great user 'round, Garlador.
smile
iHeartXenomorphs
10/09/2011 04:01 AM (UTC)
The Cyborgs, as a whole are my favorite characters

except cyber smoke, fuck that guy.

I like sektor the most because he's such a ruthless, sadistic, asshole. Your theory about Sektor is also what I was sort of thinking about him, he's seems a little bit to ruthless and smart to be a mindless drone, but Sektor Cyrax and Zero are purposely more advanced than the other LK drones so I don't know if its his own planning or if he just got a little bit more freedom being the grandmasters son and all. He obviously has the best, most gadgets that the other shown cyborgs, and he takes pride in hurting things little more than a souless robot-man should.

I also LOVE his design in this game, it's tough looking, like he's been through alot of shit during the course of Mk1's automation - MK3. If he look closely he has scrathes and burn marks and oil smudges, Cyrax looks almost flawless aside from the twitching/sparking and Zero looks brand new. He also has more armor plating that the other cyborgs.

Sektor for secondary MK10 villain!
Jerrod
About Me
MKO Moderator, Story Writer, Actor
Signature by Pred
10/09/2011 08:27 PM (UTC)
Great read, as always.
I actually didn't like Sektor this time around. I don't know why, but I always liked the whole cold, calculating aspect of the character, that he was a machine that turned on his masters and rose to dominate an entire country like a malicious virus. It was always something that made him creepier, scarier even, like his goal was to ultimately replace all organic life with superior, mostly mechanical beings. Now, he seems to be very autonomous compared to Cyrax and Sub-Zero, and has hopes and aspirations to replace his father as Grandmaster of the Lin Kuei instead of having a bigger goal in mind (a world of machines).
It does reinforce his cold and calculating nature, since it required him to lose most of his humanity and kill his own father, but it kind of makes it seem less unique; what separates him from Shang Tsung, who essentially gained more power in MK2 and 3 from his own master, and eventually used it to overthrow Shao Kahn in DA? Or Shujinko using Onaga's gift to eventually overthrow him? Sektor's story has become a generic "I'll use you to gain more power and use it against you later to take control of your organization" and the worst part is that he wants to do it, it's not some cosmic accident that pops up randomly. Perhaps that original idea was bad storytelling, but it was that little random element that made his whole ascension plan really eerie, and now he's just going to become Lin Kuei Grandmaster and lead the cyborg assassins instead of becoming a heartless, global threat bent on making everybody like him.
Maybe I am wrong and he has bigger aspirations than just taking over the Lin Kuei, but with the way he was portrayed in this game, where he willingly helped Shao Kahn to take over Earth instead, it makes it hard for me to believe Sektor has any real big goals in the long run. At least in the original timeline, Sektor saw Outworld as a threat to the Lin Kuei, showing that even though he's a bad guy, he knew that keeping Earth and Outworld separate was in the Lin Kuei's best interest.
ShadowPreacher
10/09/2011 10:35 PM (UTC)
DG1OA Wrote:
One thing I found annoying about Sektor was his involvement in Scorpion's chapter. Sektor says almost nothing to Scorpion. He doesn't antagonize him at all, it's Cyrax that does all the antagonizing. Yet Scorpion ends up fighting and beating both simultaneously, all so he can end up looking oh-so-cool and badass, while Cyrax and Sektor are made to look like chumps. Sektor especially, since unlike Cyrax he doesn't get his own chapter, and is portrayed as just another lackey. Scorpion should have only fought Cyrax if Sektor was going to be such an afterthought.

I disagree. I love the way he just cuts Cyrax off mid-sentence and mutters, "...Scorpion." Sektor's voice is just dripping with contempt (great voice acting!) and it says more with just one line than Cyrax's trash talk does.

And of course they were both gonna get their ass kicked. Sub-Zero was the main fight we all wanted to see, Sektor and Cyrax were just the warm-up.
iHeartXenomorphs
10/09/2011 11:54 PM (UTC)
Jerrod Wrote:
Great read, as always.
I actually didn't like Sektor this time around. I don't know why, but I always liked the whole cold, calculating aspect of the character, that he was a machine that turned on his masters and rose to dominate an entire country like a malicious virus. It was always something that made him creepier, scarier even, like his goal was to ultimately replace all organic life with superior, mostly mechanical beings. Now, he seems to be very autonomous compared to Cyrax and Sub-Zero, and has hopes and aspirations to replace his father as Grandmaster of the Lin Kuei instead of having a bigger goal in mind (a world of machines).
It does reinforce his cold and calculating nature, since it required him to lose most of his humanity and kill his own father, but it kind of makes it seem less unique; what separates him from Shang Tsung, who essentially gained more power in MK2 and 3 from his own master, and eventually used it to overthrow Shao Kahn in DA? Or Shujinko using Onaga's gift to eventually overthrow him? Sektor's story has become a generic "I'll use you to gain more power and use it against you later to take control of your organization" and the worst part is that he wants to do it, it's not some cosmic accident that pops up randomly. Perhaps that original idea was bad storytelling, but it was that little random element that made his whole ascension plan really eerie, and now he's just going to become Lin Kuei Grandmaster and lead the cyborg assassins instead of becoming a heartless, global threat bent on making everybody like him.
Maybe I am wrong and he has bigger aspirations than just taking over the Lin Kuei, but with the way he was portrayed in this game, where he willingly helped Shao Kahn to take over Earth instead, it makes it hard for me to believe Sektor has any real big goals in the long run. At least in the original timeline, Sektor saw Outworld as a threat to the Lin Kuei, showing that even though he's a bad guy, he knew that keeping Earth and Outworld separate was in the Lin Kuei's best interest.

Sektor wants power, so he'll eventually keep trying to build up the lin kuei.

also, he is still cold, calculating and menacing. He's apparently second in command after Bi-Han died seeing as how every time the lin kuei are involved in anything he's the one giving orders or the one being addressed. He's still a machine who turned on his master, he killed his father and became grandmaster(my sig is actually the scene, crudely modified). It can be assumed that he captured Cyrax himself and he planned out a way to capture smoke and sub zero, even though Smoke escaped because of Raiden.

see look
mkwhopper
10/10/2011 12:14 AM (UTC)
Only reason why I still go to this site and 2011 Forum...
Good job sirwink
Jerrod
About Me
MKO Moderator, Story Writer, Actor
Signature by Pred
10/10/2011 03:17 AM (UTC)
iHeartXenomorphs Wrote:
also, he is still cold, calculating and menacing. He's apparently second in command after Bi-Han died seeing as how every time the lin kuei are involved in anything he's the one giving orders or the one being addressed. He's still a machine who turned on his master, he killed his father and became grandmaster(my sig is actually the scene, crudely modified). It can be assumed that he captured Cyrax himself and he planned out a way to capture smoke and sub zero, even though Smoke escaped because of Raiden.
see look

Edited your post since we don't allow video embeds on the site.
Anyway, Sektor building up the Lin Kuei, yes definitely likely, but take over the world? It doesn't look like he's interested in ruling as much as he is serving. He pledges the Lin Kuei's allegiance to Shao Kahn and aides Outworld's forces, whereas the original Sektor planned on taking Earth for himself. What chance does Sektor have of creating a larger cyborg army when ultimately, it would be Shao Kahn telling him how to expand? It's as if Sektor downgraded himself from potential Earthrealm Ruler to Outworld General, on par with Baraka, Kintaro, Kano, and the other henchmen.
As I said, yes, he still conducts himself in a cold and calculating manner, but now he does so as if it was his plan all along to take over the Lin Kuei; I prefer the idea that he did not choose this path because he had a desire for power, but because his programming lead him to believe his father was inferior. The way he acts now is too human for my liking, unlike the current Cyrax, who's a slave to his programming (think old-timeline Smoke), and Sub-Zero, who seems to regain his free-will (soul?) with some minor adjustments from Jax (like old-timeline Cyrax).
Sektor's old-timeline programming changes itself to become a threat on a global scale, while now, it looks like he's in complete control of who he is and what he does. The concept of his being a soulless machine, his duty to obey the Lin Kuei, and overcoming it because of a glitch in his system, seems to have disappeared, and makes him less intimidating to me. He's become a generic, cookie-cutter bad guy henchman now working for Kahn when not ruling the Lin Kuei.
J-spit
About Me
Twilight Muthafuckin' Sparkle

Sig by TheCypher
10/10/2011 03:43 AM (UTC)
Amazing writing, man.

I'm not at liberty to discuss Sektor as to this day, I've yet to sit down and learn any major combos or strategies with him.
iHeartXenomorphs
10/11/2011 05:48 AM (UTC)
Jerrod Wrote:
iHeartXenomorphs Wrote:
see look

Edited your post since we don't allow video embeds on the site.
Anyway, Sektor building up the Lin Kuei, yes definitely likely, but take over the world? It doesn't look like he's interested in ruling as much as he is serving. He pledges the Lin Kuei's allegiance to Shao Kahn and aides Outworld's forces, whereas the original Sektor planned on taking Earth for himself. What chance does Sektor have of creating a larger cyborg army when ultimately, it would be Shao Kahn telling him how to expand? It's as if Sektor downgraded himself from potential Earthrealm Ruler to Outworld General, on par with Baraka, Kintaro, Kano, and the other henchmen.
As I said, yes, he still conducts himself in a cold and calculating manner, but now he does so as if it was his plan all along to take over the Lin Kuei; I prefer the idea that he did not choose this path because he had a desire for power, but because his programming lead him to believe his father was inferior. The way he acts now is too human for my liking, unlike the current Cyrax, who's a slave to his programming (think old-timeline Smoke), and Sub-Zero, who seems to regain his free-will (soul?) with some minor adjustments from Jax (like old-timeline Cyrax).
Sektor's old-timeline programming changes itself to become a threat on a global scale, while now, it looks like he's in complete control of who he is and what he does. The concept of his being a soulless machine, his duty to obey the Lin Kuei, and overcoming it because of a glitch in his system, seems to have disappeared, and makes him less intimidating to me. He's become a generic, cookie-cutter bad guy henchman now working for Kahn when not ruling the Lin Kuei.

To bad Kahn is dead and sektor and the LK aren't.

I think the "robot seeking perfection" thing doesn't really fit sektor, I like the "man taken over by machine, slowly gainin dominance over programing" thing he seems to have going on now. And now that no ones in charge of him he'll either unlikely join the earthrealm defenders, or side with Shinnok for his on lively hood. I'm sure he didn't want to be under Kahn's control but he probably didn't want to be destroyed in the realm merge and invasion. You saw what happens to the good guys that opposed Kahn, they got owned by Sindel(after Sektor and his robo-goons softened them up quite a bit).

On a side-note, I think it would be cool if they hold off on Shinnok's invasion and make Sektor and the LK the main threat in the next game, while adding in post MK3 characters. Like maybe Hotaru likes Sektors strict rules and order and wants to help him take over earthrealm, and of course Havik doesn't want any of that. And Raiden is assembling a team of new defenders maybe with Kai, Johnny, Sonya and the black/red dragon clans help.
Insider2000
About Me

Keep dunking your Kenshi breadsticks into your Skarlet sauce, people! The main course isn't coming for a while, and you never know when it's going to be disappointing.

10/11/2011 06:06 AM (UTC)
Awesome as always Garlador.

I can't really defend Sektor. He's definitely not one of my favorite characters, but by no means do I hate him. I just find him to be a complete bastard. I hope he becomes as awesome of a threat in this new timeline, as much as he was a threat in the last one (if not, more).

Also, Sareena in a wedding dress. So pretty. =D
Espio872
10/11/2011 08:56 AM (UTC)
Nicely done for sure!

Out of the original Trilogy character, Sektor has always been the one I've been the most indifferent to, I don't hate him, but I also don't like him either and I dunno if it's better or worse to be indifferent to a character.

Yes, hes's a cruel character/ vllians, but out of all the villians, he's the one that least catches my interest.

I also don't really care for his gameplay, I'd rather roll with sindel or another zoner.

This is not to say I have a problem with Sektor, I think he has a place and plays a unique role story wise and gameplay wise, but I just cannot get into him.

I would love to see a Rain or Jade thread next week por favor.
queve
11/06/2011 05:59 PM (UTC)
Fantastic analysis, as usual! I read this ages ago, but, I never really had the chance to get back to it till now (huge LOLs at the wedding picture and the comic Sonya).

I've always loved the Cyborgs and their role and story in MK, since the very first time they were introduced in MK3.

I find it a little weird and funny how easy it was for me to accept the whole "robot concept" in my fantastic and mythical world of MK. I didn't raise my eyebrows when I first saw them, I was actually impressed and genuinely interested.

Cyrax was always my favorite, but, Sektor kind of competed for that possition after his glorious return in MK:TE and MKA. His overall story behind the scenes of MKDA (Lin Keui temple + amulet) and his new twist with the Tekunin and his rivalry with the SF was awesome. He really climbed up to become one of my favorite characters of MK.

Sadly, as awesome, fun, and twisted cool as his gameplay, moves, and Fatalities are in MK9, for some reason, I was just not that into Sektor this time around...or Cyrax.

I just feel like these two were not portrayed properly. Sure, the basics are right, but, they really felt super...downgraded? I don't know what it is, exactly, but, my love and interest for these 2 characters didn't really last during story mode. I felt they were both rushed, turned silly, the whole robot-convertion was unimpressive and way too quick, etc.

These is one of those things were its mostly the faulty of story-mode itself than the characters. I feel that if story-mode would have been done differently, not following the limited "character chapters" formula and adding story pictures (like MKA's and MKD's Konquest) to provide flashbacks or flash forwards , it would have changed many things.

Instead, I found myself being far more interested in my least favorite Cyborg, Smoke, and ironically, he was the one who did not become a cyborg. Out of the 3, Smoke is the one that came out the best (well, till Sindel arrived) imo. But, more of him and Cyrax in another post.

Overall, I still like Sektor and I do hope and expect AMAZING things from him in the sequel. the whole Tekunin story needs to happen and I can't wait to see how its going to unfold. That being said, I really really hope they fix story mode so it can do justice to his character and many others.

Awesome gameplay, memorable Fatalities and special moves, Fantastic X-Ray, cute Babality, and amazing look, Sektor is definitely still a fave of mine.

Again: Awesome job, Garlador!
Pages: 1
Download on the App StoreGet it on Google Play
© 1998-2024 Shadow Knight Media, LLC. All rights reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Mortal Kombat, the dragon logo and all character names are trademarks and copyright of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.