Garladors KOTW - Week 13 - Kabal Discussion
posted11/03/2011 01:27 AM (UTC)by
Garlador
Welcome, studious stewards of our franchise's storied development, I, Garlador, descend upon you with yet another peek into the smoldering soul of a Kombatant of great worth! C'mon, gather children, and let us partake in this celebration!

We're plowed our way through Sheeva, Nightwolf, Mileena, Smoke, Shang Tsung, Stryker, Reptile, Sonya's boobs, Sonya Blade, Sektor, Johnny Cage, and Baraka.

Up this week? Mortal Kombat's favorite burn victim!

Ha ha.... No.

Our REAL favorite burn victim.

WHO IS KABAL?
Kabal is a disfigured Earthrealm warrior, a former Black Dragon gang member who quit and joined the police force as a way to atone for his misdeeds. He is also Kurtis Stryker's partner.

(not that type of partner)

Kabal is pretty cocky and outspoken, especially in the new game, which makes him stand out, in addition to his clever ways to killing people.

("Let's see what you're made of!" I guess he really meant it!)

Kabal is interesting in that when he first appeared, nobody knew who he was or why he wore a mask. He was a hero in MK3, but nobody knew about his shady past.

(He was really Eddie from Iron Maiden album covers!)

A tragic figure forced to wear a respirator to keep him alive, Kabal turned lemons into lemonade by deciding to be badass regardless of useless lungs and the silliest cartoon face ever.

(Does that make him "Father Brain"?)

Kabal is also considered the fastest character in the series, often running circles in opponents or being an actual blur. That's great for most things (fighting, races, getting home before the wife discovers you've left your mistress's panties lying on the couch) but not so great for others.

(It's not always best to be "the fastest"...)

WHY IS KABAL IN THE SERIES?
Kabal was originally dubbed "The Sandman" and, in true MK character-creating fashion, was pretty much just one of the Sand people from Star Wars.

(Just brothers from different mothers)

His design was altered slightly and they decided to give him a weapon. Originally, Baraka was going to use hookswords until they dropped the idea and went with his arm blades, so, again in true MK hand-me-down fashion, Kabal was given the hook swords.

(even the toys had hookswords first)

Still, in MK3, Kabal was a fresh face...

(so to speak)
...beefing up the roster that initially lacked the candy-colored ninjas that help swell the ranks. While some of the MK3 cast didn't exactly blast off at first, such as Stryker and Nightwolf, Kabal hit the ground running...

(er, so to speak)
...and proved to be both a popular character and a powerful fighter.

Too powerful, some could argue, since they nerfed him so hard in later installments, you might confuse him with Kung Lao!

(He might be a tad too powerful...)

With a good reception, strong gameplay, and lots of potential, Kabal seemed like he had nowhere to go but up. Well... you'd think. He basically went MIA for several games and when he finally showed up again, we hardly recognized him.

(so to speak! DAMMIT!)

KABAL'S STORY-
Kabal debuted in Mortal Kombat 3 as probably the most mysterious warrior in the new cast. Nobody knew who he was or what he looked like, other than he was a chosen warrior destined to join the other heroes in defeating Shao Kahn.

It's revealed later on that he was a former Black Dragon gang member who left the life of crime he had behind to atone for his misdeeds and, in MK3, decided to become a lawful vigilante.

(Ah yeah!)

No, no wait. Three games later, he emerges with the goal of rebuilding the crime syndicate he was supposedly so disgusted with he left in the first place and take his position as leader of the group.

(A hero becomes pointlessly evil? Was Parallax behind this too?)

Kabal was supposedly "killed" prior to MK: Deadly Alliance, where Mavado of the rival Red Dragon clan defeated him and took his hookswords as a trophy... something Kabal fans weren't happy about.

(Replacing popular characters tends to do that)

Well, the MK team listened and decided to ignore Kabal "dying", said Havik saved him "just because", and he came back in MK:Deception... only this time they merged him with Mavado for some reason.

(It didn't turn out this good)

Seriously, though, they sort of meshed Mavado and Kabal together in a Frankenstein way that, even though Kabal was back, he might as well have been Mavado or a new character, because the reluctant hero that was ashamed of his past and had decided to strike terror into the criminal underworld was gone and replaced with an evil thug going around recruiting bratty kids off the street to rebuild the Black Dragon empire to get back at the Red Dragon gang. He acted like Mavado and even decided to wear a trenchcoat like Mavado. It... was pretty jarring.

(It's almost like he was a fake...)

And that's not even mentioning who Kabal picked to rebuild the clan.

(Me thinks Kabal should've been more selective...)

It didn't really matter anyway. The feud between the Red Dragon and Black Dragon clan was almost as pointless as Meat is as a character.

(Because you suck, that's why)

Kabal's baffling turn to evil culminated in Armageddon when Kabal joined the forces of Darkness and ran into battle alongside Kano, Shao Kahn, and even Mavado to fight the forces of Light. Ultimately, it may have been the most unbelievable switch from noble hero to gas-mask wearing evil villain anyone had ever seen.

(Well, second most unbelievable)

Kabal got killed along with everyone else, so it was magic reboot time, people!

Revisiting the past, a pre-scarred Kabal is Stryker's friend and partner who has left the Black Dragon to do some good in the world.

(Because who needs consistency?)

Wait... muscular martial artist buddy cop with a long ponytail, a penchant for brutality, baffling career choices, and supposedly mystical powers (self-affirmed or not)?

Holy cow! Steven Seagal is really Steven KABAL! It all makes sense now!

Anyway, this time we find out it was Kintaro that injured Kabal, and unlike the original version who just had his face and throat injured, the reboot Kabal gets quite a bit more messed up, getting burned all over and even blinded in one eye, all in the line of duty.

(It never hurts to help!)

This time, however, Kabal makes it clear that he's not a badguy, rejects Kano's offer to join him after Kano saves his life, and he joins the Earthrealm heroes in stopping Shao Kahn's invasion, like before.

Except by "stopping Shao Kahn's invasion", I mean "dying needlessly".

So Kabal, probably one of the better cult characters, bit the dust and his tragic story arc came to a close as gently as a bus crashing into a wall. And yet, even in hell, as a soul enslaved by Quan Chi, he still is horribly scarred and covered in a gasmask.

(Because ghosts need to breathe?)

KABAL'S FUTURE-
As much as I loved MK's million-dollar Story Mode, the controversial purging of the Earthrealm heroes remains a very sore spot, and the loss of Kabal, who was given a fresh, new lease on life and was injected with pathos and humanity never seen before, was particularly painful.

Kabal was just handled SO well that it was disappointing he ended up dead and stripped of that personality. Here was a figure that embodied triumph over adversity, a man wracked with disfigurement and unbearable pain, someone who would be branded a freak, whose life was forever changed, and who, through the darkness of his past and the trials of his handicaps, had always emerged as a smooth-talking, charismatic, and courageous hero that looked on the bright side of life.

(Monty Python can teach us so much...)

He was certainly one of the many heroes I wanted to see more developed in future games because he's by far one of the most interesting characters, despite the schizophrenia of his past portrayals. There was such potential for drama if his Black Dragon past had been uncovered, particularly between he and his partner Stryker, or any of the other Earthrealm warriors. But now? Well, they closed the door on those possibilities.

What's worse? They closed the door on a possibility Kabal's own Arcade ending showed off.

(See this? You can't have this. Why? Because NRS delights in your misery!)

Still, he could come back in the sequel as part of Shinnok's invasion, and perhaps get freed and reborn as Mortal Kombat characters are prone to do. In fact, I expect it to happen, but I'd rather it be sooner than later.

(If MK characters get resurrected as often as DBZ characters, I hope we at least don't have to endure a whole season of afterlife training montages before that happens)

So that's Kabal, personally one of my favorites, tragically one of the most mishandled characters in general. When Kabal is good, he's BRILLIANT. When he's not, he's pretty abysmal. But sound off! How do you like your Kabal? Do you like him as a reluctant hero? Do you like him as a driven hunter of criminals? Do you like him as a villain? Do you like his old look, or do you like the burned-all-over style he's got now? Like his gameplay? Liking the hookswords, or do you think Mavado used them better?

And let me know who should be next!

Okay people. Been fun as always. Garlador out!
KungLaodoesntsuck
10/29/2011 10:39 PM (UTC)
As always excellent post.
Kung Lao next please???
WeaponTheory
About Me

"BEER ME!" - Noob Saibot

10/29/2011 11:01 PM (UTC)
Oh my god that post was awesome, I hate myself for not reading these threads sooner!

I'm shocked that you didn't make a KKK joke about the Black Dragon Clan. Kabal, Kira, Kobra.
Espio872
10/29/2011 11:01 PM (UTC)
I've always liked Kabal, like the rest of the MK3 roster, I thought he was a superb addition, MK3 is where so much character diversity came from and I loved it. His creepy buzz saw that comes from behind you and his hookswords were so cool, loved his win pose and his throw.

Kabal is one of the coolest anti-heroes there is and I can relate to him, he has a dark past, but he wants to be good, wants to change his life for the better, despite his past and disfigurement. MK3 Kabal was arguably one of the best developed characters for his first appearence, amazingly done.

Then Deception came along....I was glad Kabal was back but his random villian role being restored made me just shake my head. Since all the heroes were dead, it would have been logical to have Kabal leap into action to help out Li Mei or Sub-Zero, I mean anybody, but they took him from an interesting character and made him evil for the sake of evil.

I like Kabal in this game, all his classic moves back and cool gameplay. I just don't use him a whole lot. He's a ton of fun though and I love his whole look in this game, pretty much everything about Kabal is top notchsmile

Story mode chapter was cool and he got to kick Noob, Mileena, Sheeva, CSZ, and Kano's butts and Kabal was bold enough to attempt to attack Shao Kahn head on, without any hesitation and with all his guards and people around, Kabal's a beast.

Everyone who died should come back next game as playable, not just making a cameo as enemies to fight.

Great thread and I'll suggest Jade or Rain for next week.

P.S. I like the Princess Bride reference you made, Inigo Montoya for the win.
daryui
About Me
10/29/2011 11:40 PM (UTC)
Kabal is one of my favorite characters, and in this game they did him justice gameplay wise, but his design irks me.

1. The Mask.

The main thing I dislike is this new mask, let alone those unnecessary spikes, and those rows of metal. His Classic mask is always superior. Good thing his alt has it.

2. The Spikes..

Unnecessary and unfitting for his character.

3. Those Burns.

I greatly prefer his MKD scars over the burns, and I choose not to accept them..

4. Everything else.

MKD was where Kabal's design was at his peak. Everything from his colors, to the design of his clothing and trenching were spot on and accurate upgrades to his classic look... unlike everything in this game which happens to be a revamp of the classic games... Not to mention the character design was intended to be revamped designs that take advantage of the new technology of today.

The basics may be there, but the actual details are not.

(I will add that I like the blue lights and his alternate costume).

Storywise, I dislike Kintaro burning him. That was forced and was another thing that got in the way of the Extermination squads that should've been present. (And Stryker and Kabal being partners period.)

Not to mention he felt weak to make Stryker this 'badass'.

His MK9 Fatalities are his best.. Next to the Scream O' Death!
redman
10/30/2011 12:41 AM (UTC)
Fuck yes.. Just yes.. Just fuck yes.

I love you.
iHeartXenomorphs
10/30/2011 12:53 AM (UTC)
Fan-Fucking-Tastic.

Do Thunder-Idiot next.

I'm sure you could come up with tons of funny jokes about Raiden.
Rockchalk5477
10/30/2011 04:49 AM (UTC)
Great job, yet again.

I never cared that much about Kabal before this game, as I hated how he pretty much instantly reverted back to being a Black Dragon, hell-bent on causing anarchy and the like, pre-Deception.

That really pissed me off.... I remember the MK:D official website (which is still up(!)) actually listed him as 'Good,' while Kobra and Kira were both considered 'Evil' and had him as an ally. Really confused me. Maybe originally, they weren't going to pull that crap on us.

I really like his story mode personality. His cockiness (not douche-iness like JC) was funny, but, as Daryui said, he came off as weak and hesitant, pre-burning (for what little of a time we see him.)
Regardless, he rocked it, post-burning, until Sindel stomped on his breathing apparatus(?) and killed him totally unceremoniously.

I really, really, really want him to come back, guns-a-blazing (so to speak), though I'm still wondering how they're going to bring back over an eighth of the cast come MK10 (or whatever.)

Can't wait for the next KOTW (perhaps Kenshi, or Cyrax....?)
SmokeNc-017
About Me
art by fear-sAs
10/30/2011 05:22 AM (UTC)
Kabal is a character I greatly enjoy having on the roster. He might not always be my first pick, but I can't say that I've never had fun with him.

He was a great addition to the roster back in MK3. In a game that had teleports and projectiles, I think Kabal is the first character who's primary focus is speed. Without a doubt the fastest character when running at full speed and one of the more vicious ones with his hook swords, I'm amazed that he was ever relegated to just being a "cult" classic like Smoke, Rain, and a few others.

His fatalities were fucking terrible though. No, the Scream of death wasn't awesome, in fact it was one of the most cartoony fatalities, right up there with Mileena's dumbass nail spit. And his pump wasn't that great either. It still puzzles me as to why they'd play up his respirator and the fact that he's hideous under his mask as fatalities. His saw blade, his tasmanian dash and his hook swords would've been far superior choices.

His backstory was pretty solid back then, less Batman and more Punisher, Kabal just wants to hunt down evil and wipe it out, sometimes in the messiest way possible when it comes to the Black Dragon. Aaand then we don't see him again until MKD when he's aligned with Havik, Kira and Kobra, the last 2 being some of the blandest character to be put into an MK fighting game.

This is kind of where I lost the plot regarding Kabal. Was he reforming the Black Dragon because he had returned to being evil? Or was he reforming them to spread Chaos like Havik? That's a connection I would have rather enjoyed seeing. Who doesn't want to see what kind of silly shenanigans a burnt up, hook sword wielding former vigilante and a guy who can eat your arms get in to? They could've been the DX of the MK universe, but sadly Armageddon wouldn't allow it.

I can't really go into what I think of his look in MKD, since it remained largely the same with the exception of the trench coat, which looked nice but since Movado was sporting that in MKDA, it kind of ruined it a little, despite the fact that the MK team claims it was originally supposed to be part of Kabal's look in MK3.

This new game gave us a Kabal with a bit more life and personality. Yes, the buddy cop thing with Stryker was a little weird, but then again this is an alternate timeline/dimension, so whatever. Maybe NRS are big fans of the old sci-fi show Sliders? At least they never negated the fact that he was part of the Black Dragon, so him leaving and trying to do good, the pinnacle of what makes him an interesting character is still intact. I did prefer his original tragedy more, with Khan's extermination squads and all, but I like the look the burns give him. It's all plot convenience for him to have some banter with Kano.

When it comes to his look in this game, I lean on the side that thinks it's probably his best one. I like the brown duster instead of a regular trench coat. I like his new mask more than the original, and I like the new respirator. The only thing I would've changed was keeping the flowing mane of hair rather than the burnt up pig tails, but that's a small gripe.

I like the added spikes, some people say that it's not part of his character, those people are ignoring that he was once a Black Dragon. The more savage/edgy style fits him perfectly, and the fact that it was Kano who built the gear is even better.

Of course this:

is the holy grail of what his look should be.

His fatalities in this game, I think are the best he's ever had. I can't really think of anybody ever disemboweling somebody in MK, which is ironic because the fighters have been killed in so many other ways.

Of course now that he and 75% of the original cast are dead that hardly makes a difference. And just so people are clear on where I stand on this issue, I don't mind that NRS wants to make room for a fresh new cast in the next game, I just think this was a really sloppy way of doing it.
WeaponTheory
About Me

"BEER ME!" - Noob Saibot

10/30/2011 05:24 AM (UTC)
Kabal was my favorite character in Mortal Kombat 3, for obvious reasons.
And yeah, I'm so glad they did him some justice for this game, I mean, I didn't like the past 3D games, but Kabal wasn't even fun then for me.
You just couldn't do any good shit that's in par with the things you can do in MK3, and that horrid Nomads Touch...the fuck was they thinking?

But in this game? Kabal is again my favorite. I haven't touched this game for a long while, so when I got back on, I was very rusty and forgot most of the combos for the characters I'm good with. But with Kabal, I can pick him up quickly.

Primary costume + Player 2 color, is my favorite attire.

He looks a Jedi/Sith with an alternate Darth Vader head gear.
Which part of me strongly thinks that what the creators were going with.
mkwhopper
10/30/2011 06:21 AM (UTC)
I fucking love you Garlador! Again, fantastic threadsgrin Do Raiden next please. That will make me piss myself from laughter
iHeartXenomorphs
10/30/2011 07:43 AM (UTC)
WeaponTheory Wrote:

Primary costume + Player 2 color, is my favorite attire.

He looks a Jedi/Sith with an alternate Darth Vader head gear.
Which part of me strongly thinks that what the creators were going with.

I like Secondary + Player 2 color.

He looks like a badass sci-fi bounty hunter.
RazorsEdge701
10/30/2011 11:24 AM (UTC)
...Did you just call Anakin Skywalker a "noble hero"?
Arthur Zonatto
10/30/2011 02:47 PM (UTC)
....Awesome read again, Garlador. And YAAAY for my 2nd fav kombatant! I'll soon post his clay version, so everyone, watch for that!!!

I actually hate the fact that he was killed above everybody else's deaths (A stomp in the chest? Really?)

At least make it credible, NRS. You dissapointed me with this epilogue.
lebronjames
About Me

Kombat Returns 2015

10/30/2011 03:56 PM (UTC)
i was kinda confused when i saw kabal with stryker thinking to myself...since when are they partners?? he debuted with a respirator in mk3 but now he shows up without it? anyways an awesome character that i support, great thread.
mkwhopper
10/30/2011 06:59 PM (UTC)
Shinnok619 Wrote:
....Awesome read again, Garlador. And YAAAY for my 2nd fav kombatant! I'll soon post his clay version, so everyone, watch for that!!!

I actually hate the fact that he was killed above everybody else's deaths (A stomp in the chest? Really?)

At least make it credible, NRS. You dissapointed me with this epilogue.

Sindel's "Heels of Death" either pierced his heart, or it popped one of his air tube thingy's(or simply both)
xB$INx
About Me

10/30/2011 08:49 PM (UTC)
Good read man. I always thought that Kabal was an interesting character. He was a nice change from the color swaped ninjas. I loved his ending in MK9, especially that new mask that he gets, just looks so bad ass. I dont really like his whole double ponytail thing, looks kinda funny to me. But nonetheless, Kabal is a pretty sweet character, not on my favorites list, but still a character that deserves respect.

Request of Jax or Kitana next?
Shinomune
10/31/2011 05:01 PM (UTC)
Mavado >>> Kabal.
Shadaloo
About Me
MK Khronology: 58.49% complete...
11/01/2011 03:03 PM (UTC)
Hail to the only one of UMK3`s cast to become an instant classic.

Just like Smoke and Stryker, it was a shame that someone who benefitted so well from their time in Story had to be cut down in their prime, so to speak. I sighed with relief to see that they managed to not only keep his Black Dragon ties intact, but to establish that he`d actually long since gone straight. partnering him up with Stryker was a good choice for him, it gives both of them welcome ties to other cast members (we all know Kano`s got his hands full with Sonya and Jax already), strengthens their place in the group of heroes. Kabal can still become that lone wolf vigilante we`re remember him best as, and this places him on good starting ground for it. He can decide to go the whole route as he did in his ending, and we can see the Ùber-Kabal from his ending come into fruition. If it needs to be said again, NRS: You don`t even have to redesign Kabal for the next game. Just give us what we saw in his ending. It looked AMAZING.

Only obstacle is that being dead thing. Ugh.

His reconstruction at Kano and Tsung`s hands was nice. I had always pictured him literally crawling to a respirator as he died and managing to perform a tracheotomy on himself as the epitome of badassness, but that`s just some decades-old fanwankery for ya. What we got is more plausible.

`Cept I don`t know about him gaining speed from Tsung`s magics. Too often we seem to see `magic did it`as an explanation. Kind of a cop-out, but oh well. At least they tried explaining it. tongue Always wondered about that.

And hooray for his immolation at Kintaro`s hands (or breath, rather). I LOVED that if only because it gave Kintaro something to do apart from getting his ass handed to him. Could a Kabal-Kintaro vendetta be in the future? Pray with me for it.

What else? Amazing gameplay? Check. Marvelous voice acting? Double check. Return of the almighty buzzsaws? Triple-check. A Fatality that inolves ripping out intestines, something long overdue in MK`s visceral world? Chiggity-check.

Kabal was gold in this game.

YELLOW SPACE ROBOT SOON PLZ :o
Nephrite
11/01/2011 03:41 PM (UTC)
I love MK2011 Kabal. His gameplay is tons of fun, not to mention he's one of the best in the game, if not the best at the moment. I love the new special move, overhead grab, much better than that random telekinetic stuff from MKD. I prefer MK3 ground saw, but it's not a big deal. His 2nd fatality is awesome.

As for his design, I like it. He has two decent/good costumes, the primary one is my favorite. The only thing I don't like is his silly looking hair, but it's not a big deal. Design-wise MKD Kabal remains my favorite, but this one is fine too.

I liked him in the story mode, it was cool (and strange at first) seeing him without the mask and the scars. Shame they killed him, but I want him back. He's one of those "MKish" characters and he nicely contributes to the roster variety with his recognizable look and gameplay (love the hookswords).

He was and remains one of my fave MK characters. A big plus for MK2011 Kabal from me.

smile
WeaponTheory
About Me

"BEER ME!" - Noob Saibot

11/01/2011 05:57 PM (UTC)
Ah, yes. I too wish that the attire in his Ending was his Secondary costume. or hell, hopefully a future third attire! *hint hint wink wink at NRS*

Motherfucking Kabal Shredder FTW!
kabal-zero
About Me
There is no knowledge that is not power.

11/03/2011 01:27 AM (UTC)
As should be painfully obvious, Kabal has always been my favourite character since MK3. I just loved the "sand people" look and the fact that if you just looked at him with no further knowledge about him, he looked like an evil character, but was on the side of justice. Kinda like Spawn.

In MK2011 I went through a few different stages of acceptance with his appearance. I always liked how really scarred they made him. It just gave you a real sense of how badly he was injured by (that we now know was) Kintaro. The spikes never really bothered me, I kinda did a double-take because it reminded me of the old WWF Road Warriors, but that's not a bad thing in my opinion. As much as I liked the MK3 and MKD masks, I think this new one takes the cake for me, even more than the new alternate. The blue lights were a bit of a head scratcher, but like others have said, primary costume > player 2 color looks infinitely more badass.

In MK3 when they described that he was injured by the extermination squads, I always assumed it would've been Motaro, but the never really explicitly stated who, so making it Kintaro means that it can fit in the original storyline as well without changing too much.

For my play style, he's perfect for me. Chip away at small(er) amounts of damage, not two huge combos that just end the round. I loved the improvement to his saw blades, they pretty much went unused in MK3 by me because they took so long to come out. And thank God they didn't bring back the Nomad's touch, what the hell was that? confused

Kabal took so many people down in story mode, that I was sure they were building him up for something special. Which made the part where he died just that much more surprising for me. But, we all know how death isn't necessarily the end in MK, so I keep hope for him in the next game.

All in all, NRS did great justice to Kabal in this newest edition and made me proud to main such a badass.

And a great thanks to Garlador for the most epic of epic series with KOTW!
Pages: 1
Download on the App StoreGet it on Google Play
© 1998-2024 Shadow Knight Media, LLC. All rights reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Mortal Kombat, the dragon logo and all character names are trademarks and copyright of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.