Site Network Movies Fan Submission Community Media Games News
There are 1 users online.
Username: Password: Save:
MK Online    Kommunity    Show Message
Join MK Online Free or become a Flawless Member for special benefits.
MK Online Site Updates
  • September 16th, 2018
    MKO Live Stream to Feature Author of NBA Jam: The Book [Read On]
  • August 6th, 2018
    MKO's Interviews with the Film Cast: Coming Thursday [Read On]
  • July 29th, 2018
    MK Online Stream to Host Movie Star Q&A Friday [Read On]
  • July 23rd, 2018
    Kombat Kon Date Announced: October 27, 2018 [Read On]
  • July 23rd, 2018
    SDCC: Paris Jackson Cosplays Sonya at Comic-Con [Read On]

MK Online User Poll

Kombat Kon 2018?
Get over here! (54.0%)
Out of kredits. (45.9%)

Forum Listings

Site Themes
You must be logged in to
select themes.

MKO on Twitter

Media & Merchandise

Discussing Mortal Kombat in Movies, Television, New Media and Merchandising.
Page of 1

Mick-LuciferPosted: 07/10/2018 03:19 AMStatus ::
Rumor Mill: Mortal Kombat Movie Reboot Stars New Character?

A Mortal Kombat theatrical reboot has been in the works for much of the last decade, but the most recent phase only began in 2015, with news James Wan was attached to produce.

A first-time director soon followed, but substantial information has been scarce in the eighteen months since, leading to a smattering of conflicting rumors, misinformation, and unsubstantiated reports.

That Hashtag Show claims uncredited exclusive information from a new script by confirmed writer Greg Russo, who is also working on several other video game related projects, including: a Resident Evil reboot, and F.E.A.R. adaptation for Warner Digital's Machinima channel.

The story centers around a list of characters led by "Cole Turner" -- a Philadelphia boxer, and father, reportedly created to lead the movie.

If true: the new invention may be conceived as an entry point character, who will discover the Mortal Kombat universe as surrogate for the audience. With just a hint of Rocky to inform the concept, he may also provide the film a meaningful lead character to kill for a more bloodthirsty adaptation.

Cole Turner
Lead Male. 30s. A brand new character to the MK franchise. Cole is a struggling and widowed boxer who cares more about his young daughter than anything. He is incredibly determined and refuses to quit in the face of fantastical adversity.

This Cole Turner presumably has no relation to the character Julian McMahon played for several years on TV's Charmed. The reported full character list boasts some surprising inclusions that will please hardcore fans, such as Drahmin, Nitara, and Reiko, but notable alterations to iconic fighters will be less well received.

The pursuit of the tournament's "prophecy" recasts Sonya Blade as a brainy writer, Raiden as a 14 year old boy named Jin, Jax Briggs as "Jackson Bridges" - a mercenary who loses his hands, Liu Kang as a "ninja warrior" whose brother Kung Lao is mute, and Kabal as an Outworld assassin.

The rumors have a whiff of inauthenticity, but deviations like these from Mortal Kombat's established plotlines have been consistent through every iteration of live-action adaptation. Even Paul W. Anderson's lauded 1995 film wrestled with established canon, restoring popular aspects, such as the iconic rivalry between Scorpion and Sub-Zero, only after test screenings. The mascot pairing are notably absent from the published list.

Prior to his exit from the project in 2013; webseries director Kevin Tancharoen laughed off rumors his version of the movie would feature Liu Kang as a supermarket clerk. His vision for Mortal Kombat: Legacy never the less went out of its way to radically alter iconic characters, and the world of the game. Liu Kang was a violent sociopath recruited by Shang Tsung when he eventually appeared in the second season.

James Wan professed his appreciation for the classic Mortal Kombat characters while commenting on a need to "get it right", and explaining measured efforts, at a 2016 television event. What that means for a final adaptation remains to be seen.

Update: Todd Garner, Head of Broken Road Productions, who presently list Mortal Kombat as in pre-production on their website, noted via Twitter that any news is premature. While not a denial about the direction of the Russo script, it highlights the fluid process that movie development frequently goes through.

Contemporary pop culture is dominated by proven brands, with Hollywood especially fond of loose adaptations, and nostalgic reboots. Mortal Kombat boasts a bit of both, with added potential to time the release of a new game with a feature film. Like Warner Brothers' efforts with DC Comics: the biggest hurdle to MK's success may simply lie in delivering an adaptation that embraces what made the series a success in the first place. Spielberg's Ready Player One provided a proof of concept earlier in the year, giving audiences a taste with authentic Mortal Kombat X cameos.

[Related Article: Retrospective: The Mortal Kombat Cinematic Universe]

What do you think of the rumored character list? Is it a multi-hit combo, or just another fatality? Register to discuss the good and the bad of adaptations on the Media & Merchandise forum! Share this story with friends by liking & sharing via @MK_Online and Facebook.

JasonVPredPosted: 07/09/2018 06:44 PMStatus ::

Visits::1493
New Line MK film

[See main article above]

No poster boys? THAT is a bold risk to take. Honestly I would have assumed that some of the new generation would make it into the movie but why not have a "struggling" boxer be the lead protagonist; maybe Cole Turner and Jax will tag team. I will pretend teenage Raiden is just Kidd Thunder. I approve of the fan favourites choices that have been listed so far.

... here's your Subzero, now plain zero.
gorostilllivesPosted: 07/09/2018 07:41 PMStatus ::

Visits::4988
Nationality::United States
RE: New Line MK film

I really hope this is a joke. Either way thank god for sites like mine for us old-timers to rumage through and remember what once was.

JasonVPredPosted: 07/09/2018 07:50 PMStatus ::

Visits::1493
RE: New Line MK film

gorostilllives Wrote:
I really hope this is a joke. Either way thank god for sites like mine for us old-timers to rumage through and remember what once was.

Cole Turner appears to be awful on paper, which makes me think a revamped Art Lean would have made for a better lead.

... here's your Subzero, now plain zero.
KenshiMaster16Posted: 07/09/2018 11:49 PMStatus ::

Visits::10288
Possible MK Reboot character details emerge

https://www.cbr.com/mortal-kombat-reboot-character-details-emerge/

"According to The Hashtag Show, the new film is set to star a new character named Cole Turner as its lead. Cole is a struggling boxer from Philadelphia who gets more than he bargained for when he signs up to take part in a martial arts tournament across dimensions. Cole, a brand new character to the MK franchise, is a struggling and widowed boxer who cares more about his young daughter than anything. He is incredibly determined and refuses to quit in the face of fantastical adversity."

Also joining Cole Turner are Kano, Sonya Blade, Raiden, Mileena, Jax, Liu Kang, Kung Lao, Shang Tsung, Drahmin, Kabal, Nitara and Reiko. New Line Cinema’s Mortal Kombat reboot does not have an official production start date or release date yet, but with character breakdowns now released, casting announcements should follow shortly.

cek12345Posted: 07/10/2018 12:43 AMStatus ::

Visits::4028
RE: Possible MK Reboot character details emerge

I was just about to make a thread for this. Good find.

While I am happy Nitara and Mileena are getting some love, I'm rolling my eyes at the description of Raiden. I mean, a 14-year-old for the God of Thunder? Cole Turner, a brand new character not even in the MK-Verse being the main guy? And Sonya is a writer looking for a medallion?

This is....wow.

HauntedGrounds[] - brought to you by TripleTags.com
MKMasterPosted: 07/10/2018 03:33 AMStatus ::

Visits::1448

trynaxPosted: 07/10/2018 08:19 AMStatus ::

Visits::320

One rule I can say about video game movies that have decent stories. When you strive too far away from the original story and come up with crap like this the film is bound to bomb in the theaters. Hopefully they'll quickly see the backlash once this officially is announced if it ever will be and go back to the main core story of the film.

There was hardly any issues with the first film minus the over the top violence that some fans were hoping for but the story was very close to the original game's story. That and the great martial arts from most of the actors made the original movie special. Introducing a character that has no connection to the MK franchise to attempt to green light a project is sad. If this movie is officially released I do hope it fails to teach writers not to mess with the original storylines of games.

However it would completely kill the MK movie franchise unless that is what they are planning on doing?

717313=Rain Can Be Found In The Graveyard
frabnPosted: 07/10/2018 09:37 AMStatus ::

Visits::658

..................... wow

Well, you all got your Tremor now. Can we finally move on?
DetoxPosted: 07/10/2018 06:13 PMStatus ::

Visits::4292

Withdrawn...for now.

There are bigger sacrifices one might be asked to make than going a little mad.
diirecthitPosted: 07/10/2018 09:31 PMStatus ::

Visits::5313
Nationality::Mexico

Reiko? Nitara? Drahmin?!

Sure lmao.

MacyG88Posted: 07/10/2018 10:49 PMStatus ::

Visits::2610
Nationality::Australia

MKMaster Wrote:

AgentKPosted: 07/11/2018 11:56 AMStatus ::

Visits::54
Nationality::Finland
RE: Rumor Mill: Mortal Kombat Movie Reboot Stars New Character?

Awful. Might as well add in sharknado too.

theJudicatorPosted: 07/11/2018 05:25 PMStatus ::

Visits::167
Nationality::Portugal

For him to say premature these exist...
This is fucking terrible... Holy shit.
Drop that stupid idea before it's too late...

ain't nobody got time fo sigs
DetoxPosted: 07/11/2018 08:11 PMStatus ::

Visits::4292

The writer(Greg Russo) has responded to the backlash on Twitter...

LINK

He basically says the character list is incomplete and info is coming from an older script. He also responds to a few sub-tweets. Sounds like he might have a better respect for the series than initially thought. I’ll withdraw my initial complaint...for now.

There are bigger sacrifices one might be asked to make than going a little mad.
Page of 1

© 1998-2018 Mortal Kombat Online. All rights reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Mortal Kombat, the dragon logo and all character names are trademarks and copyright of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.