Garladors KOTW - Week 17 - Kenshi Discussion
posted01/01/2012 08:39 PM (UTC)by
Garlador
Happy Holidays to all you fearsome fighters of our freedom against the shackles of darkness from across the realms of realities. I'm here with yet another entry into these hallowed halls of reverence and retrospection.

We are now through Sheeva, Nightwolf, Mileena, Smoke, Shang Tsung, Stryker, Reptile, Sonya's boobs, Sonya Blade, Sektor, Johnny Cage, Baraka, Kabal, Rain, Cyrax, and Quan Chi.

Admin Edit: Please be encouraged to direct new replies to this thread.

Next on board? Well, none other than the greatest character to emerge from the tepid line-up that composed the post-MK3 roster.

That's right... we're going into blind badass territory here. Prepare yourself. We're about to tackle this blind, kung-fu knowing Keanu Reeves-lookalike head on!

(Deadly Alliance came before Revolutions, you unoriginal Wachowski hacks!)

WHO IS KENSHI?
Kenshi is a blind swordsman with telekinetic powers. I could go on, but, well, really stop and think about it. I mean really. That's one of the most badass things anyone could imagine or say in the human language. The dude is so awesome, he doesn't even need to see you to slice you into itty-bitty pieces... AND he can crush your body... with his MIND. Few things are as badass as a telekinetic blind swordsman.

(Dino Riders was one of those things)

For a more accurate analogy, I bring your attention to the chart below:

Kenshi is a warrior of good, though he doesn't like to get involved in other people's conflicts. He's dedicated his life to hunting Shang Tsung, but missed the boat to the MK1 tournament...

("Where's the boat? I was told it was going to be RIGHT HERE!")

It's actually strange to think that Kenshi is one of the few handicapped people in video games in general. That's surprisingly progressive, especially considering blind people in movies tend to be so much more interesting and awesome than everyone else around them.
(Sorry, Chris O'Donnel, but you just can't compete with a ballsy blind Al Pacino)

For the sake of a proper KOTW, I'll indulge your incessant need to hear me espouse more on this unique fighter.

WHY IS KENSHI IN THE SERIES?
Kenshi was one of a large roster of fresh faces added to the overhauled Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance. While a few classic faces were around, a large portion of the cast was composed of brand new fighters intended to introduce a lot of new blood in the series.

Despite Deadly Alliance's strong sales and reception, however, only a few of the new faces were actually liked by fans to any sizable degree.

(basically just these two...)

Of these (two), Kenshi emerged as the far-away best new face in the series. His story was cool, his moves were great, his look was awesome... really, he had just a lot going for him, which is why he endured when so many of the new faces disappeared in the sequel.

(Some losses were not mourned)

Kenshi only got better and cooler when Deception rolled around, and the fans loved him just as much, if not more, than before. It was settled; while the vast majority of the new MK cast was a bust, Kenshi got the fans' full seal of approval.

(Kenshi earned this)

This victory is lessened somewhat when the sobering fact remains that, alongside Kenshi, Bo Rai'Cho was in all the Deadly Alliance-Armageddon games too...

(Just remember, there was a time when someone was paid to put this in Mortal Kombat.... and that was considered a better use of time and money than putting in Sheeva, Sareena, Rain, Sektor, or Stryker...)

Still, Kenshi's inclusion, and his positive reception, shouldn't surprise anybody. After all, tales of a blind swordsman making us with two good eyes feel inferior has been in so many movies and anime that it's actually a wonder it took MK so long to get our own token handicapped head-slicer.

(The highlight of Ninja Scroll... no word on whether the guy with the bee nest in his back is planned for MK10...)

KENSHI'S STORY-
Kenshi's story began before MK1 when he was a reckless, boastful youth that was so bland and boring that his only claim to fame was having the exact same motivation as the king of generic, Ryu, which meant he fought to "be the strongest" or something just as broad, bland, and forgettable.

(To say Ryu has the personality of a house plant is a disservice to the plant, because the plant at least DEVELOPS if you water it)

Kenshi was saved from a generic life of generic kung-fu when he had a fateful encounter with Shang Tsung, disguised as a strange man named Song (though... why? Did Kenshi know who Shang Tsung was, or even what he looked like?).

(See, changing your identity was necessary for The Nutty Professor because people knew who Jerry Lewis was... does that mean Shang Tsung is the Jerry Lewis of Mortal Kombat?)

Anyway, Shang Tsung needed some soul sucking done and, rather than become a therapist on a suicide prevention hotline number, he found a cave full of souls that apparently only Kenshi could open, so he led Kenshi to the cave to find a sword he had heard of that granted people lots of power to those worthy of wielding it. Gullible Kenshi went along with him, never suspecting the terrible truth.

Kenshi unsealed the cave's legion of souls, who turned out to be Kenshi's ancestors. They blinded Kenshi (kind of a dick thing to do, especially since he was family) and Shang Tsung absorbed them and left Kenshi for dead. But Kenshi wasn't doomed to die... no, far from it. The sword of legend, the Sento sword, was true, and it called out to him.

("Either the sword just talked to me, or I'm trippin' balls over here...")

Kenshi found the sword, which led him out of the cave and inspired him to get revenge on the sorcerer who had wronged them. Thankfully, unlike real life, Kenshi's blindness didn't hinder him much... actually, like a certain superhero, it probably made him even stronger than before.

(I always wanted to know... how did DareDevil know he was wearing a red outfit instead of something pink with yellow polka dots?)

Kenshi then trained for over a decade until his skills were stronger than ever, and when he encountered the Special Forces they offered him the chance to get revenge on the man responsible for his blindness in their battle against the Deadly Alliance. You know what that meant? That meant Kenshi was about to open up a can of BLIND FURY on their asses!

(I really should stop my KOTW here because nothing is going to be as awesome as this movie poster. It's all downhill from here, people...)

Actually, though, Kenshi didn't do squat. He managed to, somehow, free Ermac of his brainwashing and Ermac in turn taught him some telekinetic moves. Then he got beat up by Mavado and left for dead (again) before Sub-Zero sort of stumbled upon him and nursed him back to health. The two became friends and, on their journey to defeat the Deadly Alliance, Onaga did the work for them and Kenshi sensed his decades-long quest to redeem himself was over... in the most anticlimactic way possible, I might add.

(It would be like half-way through Link's journey, in the Water Temple most likely, he found out Ganondorf was killed before he even got inside his castle)

Kenshi then sort of wandered around with Sub-Zero until Onaga also got defeated, and then sort of got called back into action for Armageddon, where he made a Shokan Shish Kabbob out of Sheeva before Quan Chi beat him to the ground and, ironically, Shang Tsung appeared out of nowhere just to finish him off (I think we can safely say Kenshi's quest for revenge was a colossal failure...)

But then it was reboot time and the timeline was restarted with Raiden sticking his finger in every light socket he could to see if things would get better this time (spoiler: they didn't), and this somehow paved the way for Kenshi to wind up mucking around in the MK1-MK3 era.... as DLC, though.

(To be fair, MK handles DLC reasonably well compared to other companies... *cough* Capcom *cough* on-disc *cough* pay for difficulty *cough* and cheat codes *cough* and online multiplayer versus modes *cough* rip-offs *cough cough cough*)

(I was going to post something witty about me having a coughing fit... until I noticed the name of this picture was filed under "fun games for kids"... wtf?)

Anyway, back on topic, Kenshi's goal in the new game... is just the same as it was in the old games. Only this time, his quest for revenge, his epic battle against the man that damned his ancestors and stole his sight, is resolved before he's even made available as DLC in MK's story mode where Kahn kills Shang Tsung... So, despite the fact Kenshi is a cool character, his primary motivation for even being in the game is non-existent before he even can get a proper debut.

Okay... so, with Shang Tsung dead before he's even aware Kenshi was after his head, where does Kenshi go next?

KENSHI'S FUTURE-
Kenshi, despite having a story that has gone absolutely nowhere in over four games, remains a favorite of many fans from the Deadly Alliance era... and, well, that's for good reason.

Despite his lack of growth, Kenshi just oozes style and class, giving MK fans a fun, fast, original character that works in ways few other characters can. He's fun to look at, looks great in motion, and is fun to play with... his story at this point doesn't even matter.

(Something else that meets all that criteria... though you should probably at least pretend her interest in obscure sea plankton interests you...)

Kenshi was a much needed boost of originality around the Deadly Alliance chapter, but I will still say that, though he stuck around in every major game since, he's less developed than even characters like Reptile, Sheeva, or other DLC characters like Rain or even Skarlet (I went there.) The fact his DLC didn't even come with any voice work leaves him horribly drained of a personality worth investing in, and compared to the emotive, expressive, personality-filled characters of the main roster, Kenshi almost comes across as a blank-faced mime by comparison.

(The dude already can't see... did they have to make sure he can't TALK too? That just seems cruel...)

Still, given Kenshi's popularity and appeal amongst both the hardcore MK fans as well as the casuals, I would strongly suspect that he'll return in future games, hopefully with more to say and do than wandering around aimlessly in the dark trying to find the one guy who did him wrong who already left the building before he even arrived at the tournament party.

Besides, how bad would it be to say, "we have this badass blind swordsman with a magic sword and telekinetic powers... we can't come up with a single idea for him"? I mean, I know the MK team isn't exactly the most original group of people on planet earth, but surely they can think of something.

(though, if they did in the first place, we wouldn't have to go back in time to reboot the whole universe back to square one...)

Anyway, sound off! Are you part of the Kenshi-camp, or do you insist that every character after MK3 was a dud? Would you like to see him in more games, or give his spot to someone else? Do you think there are MKDA-MKA characters more deserving of attention, or is his popularity more than justified? What do you think of his play style and movies? Let me know! And let me know who I should cover next!

Okay folks. Have a Happy New Year. I'll be back soon with another KOTW in 2012 (provided the earth doesn't end)!
KabalWins
About Me

Lets see what you're made of...

12/31/2011 02:21 AM (UTC)
God, I love this man.smile
jadeinchains
12/31/2011 02:31 AM (UTC)
Yay a new one!

Great read.
queve
12/31/2011 02:45 AM (UTC)
FANTASTIC!

I'm so happy to see you are still around (along side your glorious KOTW threads). I'll get back to this one very soon (plus I still have to comment on your previous one asap).

Thanks for another fantastic read man, and happy New Year to you too!
Zmoke
12/31/2011 03:49 AM (UTC)
It's interesting to notice that you went ahead to introduce a downloadable character before doing the whole core cast, which is good of course; to mix things up a little. Will you be doing more of those tangential KOTW topics like Sonya's breasts again, in the future? I'd see a discussion about the guest stars, Krueger and Kratos, more needful now than a topic about organs as they are characters of MK9 (though 'spin-offs' are funny too). The picture text ratio must have been higher than ever before. I liked especially the BioShock symbol of a spoon, even if it was just a minor detail. I'd like to see more of those symbols being utilized in the future.
What comes to Kenshi, he is one of those characters who got overhauled in this game in a good manner. The connection to mister Anderson from The Matrix was trenchant. Kenshi's hairdo bugged me for a long time originally - it reminds me of a layman's hairstyle, not of a tough hero's - the bald and scarlet hairdoes from Kenshi's vignette were tougher. Yet still, the layman hairdo gives him more personality, unlike a bald would, and it probably encloses many Kenshi fans to Kenshi with a mutual hairdo.

The Sento sword's name, that was told during Kenshi's vignette for the first time, is rather amusing. Asento! is Finnish and means Attention! in the army of Finland, and being onefold unlike Atten...tion!, it is in many occassions yelled 'Sento!. There was likely a connection between these words during the naming progress seeing that Kenshi was, in the old time line, in the Special Forces and the Sento sword is fairly upstanding. The Finnish language has been used previously in the MK names as well.
Nice read once again, Garfield Garlador. Perhaps a video commentary edition of KOTW could be in sight, could it not? That would pull a wider audience, gaining viewers from multiple forums and be more longlasting. You should only need a well-written script, video making gifts, a wacky costume and a monster mask or something to gain more attention and a little originality. Just some cents I found from the bottom of my pocket.
Tips in posting images: Put two [br]'s before every image and one [br] after each image before text. Place [center] and [/center] to center the images. After posting a quote, post one [br] unless you prefer more gap in there. I'm sure the OP is aware of these though but these are for any poster out there. Apply < > instead of [ ] naturally.
LucaTurilli
12/31/2011 05:22 AM (UTC)
Good read, but Li-Mei is garbage and Nitara was the only other decent new character from DA and Deception. Havik is meh.

Anyway, Kenshi still needs to ditch the jumpsuit and his moveset still could use a bit more badassery (Noob did clones first) but he is infinitely cooler in MK9 than DA.
[Killswitch]
About Me

Shao Kahn did nothing wrong

12/31/2011 05:58 AM (UTC)
LucaTurilli Wrote:
Good read, but Li-Mei is garbage and Nitara was the only other decent new character from DA

QFT
daryui
About Me
12/31/2011 07:23 AM (UTC)
[Killswitch] Wrote:
LucaTurilli Wrote:
Good read, but Li-Mei is garbage and Nitara was the only other decent new character from DA

QFT

Pretty much This.

Also, Mokap and Hsu Hao img = >:|

Nephrite
12/31/2011 01:05 PM (UTC)
Garlador Wrote:
Next on board? Well, none other than the greatest character to emerge from the tepid line-up that composed the post-MK3 roster.

Wouldn't that be Quan Chi?

... ... ...

It's a real shame he's basically mute in the new game, even more since he's already blind, like you pointed out.

I like his design, love his special moves (the special effects, both visual and audio are great) and I enjoy his keep away play style in the new game.

Both of his fatalities are really cool and his win pose is not bad either.

I'd definitely like to see him come back.
Murcielago
About Me

Get that ass BANNED

12/31/2011 02:30 PM (UTC)
Hey I like Li-Mei
Jerrod
About Me
MKO Moderator, Story Writer, Actor
Signature by Pred
12/31/2011 08:23 PM (UTC)
If you take story mode into account, Kenshi no longer has a purpose in the series, but if you take the Arcade endings into account, in particular, Shang Tsung's (Bo' Rai Cho trains him to take on the tyrant god Liu Kang, turning the villain into a "hero" of sorts), Kenshi is one of the most dangerous, unexpected threats to Earthrealm if he unwittingly kills Shang Tsung before he faces Liu Kang.
Food for thought. wink
RazorsEdge701
12/31/2011 11:24 PM (UTC)
Some of those arcade endings like Liu and Shang's were definitely way more interesting than Story Mode. Kenshi's was just his Deadly Alliance backstory - Jax forms the OIA, builds technoportal, Kenshi joins to get access to it and hunt Shang...but still, it's good stuff and it's a shame it can't happen now with Shang and Jax dead.

Although...I think there's a potential story for Kenshi yet.

It's always bugged me that, after Kahn forces Shang into the DBZ Fusion Dance with Sindel, and Sindel then dies afterward...what the fuck happened to all the thousands of Shang's stolen souls?

Whenever Shang dies, we always see a giant swarm of souls set free and escaping into the heavens. We didn't see one when Sindel died. We also didn't see Shang down in the Netherealm with the others during the zombie scene.

Is Shang still merged with Sindel, even in death? Are his stolen souls, thus, still merged with hers, even in death?

Theoretically, that's Kenshi's new mission, to locate the souls of his ancestors, travel to the Netherealm, and...I dunno, cut them free from her somehow so they can return to his sword.

Ninja_Mime
12/31/2011 11:47 PM (UTC)
He's my favourite character, but I have trouble caring about this new canon at all. I love what they've done with him in terms of gameplay though, and I'm really hoping he becomes as much of a core character as the MK1-MK3 cast. There's still a lot they can do with him.

And I strongly disagree with you on new characters. I'd take Kenshi, Li Mei, Bo' Rai Cho, Drahmin, Mavado, Blaze, Nitara, Havik, Hotaru and Sareena over the majority of the MK2011 roster any day. I think most of people's dislike for those characters comes from the fact that Deception and Armageddon were not that good, meaning they overlook the great concepts and potential the characters have. Kenshi and Quan Chi have proven that, I think. Can you imagine how awesome someone like Drahmin could be if he just had a more solid moveset? He's already got a great backstory and badass appearance (If they based him on his alternate costume):

/rambling
RazorsEdge701
01/01/2012 12:06 AM (UTC)
Ninja_Mime Wrote:
Kenshi and Quan Chi have proven that, I think.

Y'know, except for that new exploding rune on the ground thing, I liked Quan Chi's moves better in MK4 or Armageddon. I miss the way his skull chewed and he really stomped the shit out of you with both feet in his teleport.
LucaTurilli
01/01/2012 12:28 AM (UTC)
I really dig Quan Chi's moveset in this game, every aspect of it.

All of his moves are really sorcerous and synergetic. I love his theme of manipulation and how it fits his personality perfectly.

If by some miracle, they could do for other DA - Armageddon characters what they did for Kenshi and Quan Chi for this game... I may find them decent. But honestly, they all look horribly boring and I don't see them garnering any sort of redemption. NRS would just be better off righting them off or completely redesigning them, IMO. Skarlet is far better than any DA+ character. Perhaps not in story, but I stopped giving a shit about the story when they killed off Liu Kang. She's still a great fighting game character with a metric-fuck-ton of potential to build upon.

Honestly, after MK9, MK:DA - MK:A don't even exist for me anymore. I own them all, but I will never touch them again, not even if someone payed me to play them. I want to forget they exist.
RazorsEdge701
01/01/2012 01:06 AM (UTC)
Meh, I really can't get into playing as Skarlet. Maybe I'm alone in thinking this, because I don't really analyze the properties of attacks to an anal-retentive degree the way someone who plays competitively and is into the tourney scene and whatnot might, I'm going by purely aesthetics, but she just feels like a less interesting version of Mileena to me with her knives and drop-from-the-sky teleport.
KungLaodoesntsuck
01/01/2012 03:40 AM (UTC)
I like Kenshi. But that's it. I don't care for his story or gameplay. I just find him interesting.
Espio872
01/01/2012 05:26 AM (UTC)
Kenshi is cool to look and his astral projection powers are gorgeous.His story has never really captured my interest though. I play with him sometimes because he's fun, has an awesome look, like Keanu Reeves.

I will say that among the post MK3 characters, Drahmin, Havik, Tanya, Havik, Ashrah, Fujin, Reiko, Bo' Rai Cho and several others were also amazing characters.

They just appeared in sub par games, which in turn made them all seem sub par, but they aren't, many of them had far more emotive and thought provovoking stories, designs and specials that are unique( not all but many).

These characters just had the sad luck of not being from theTrilogy era, being on sub par games, and coming during the era of Midway's pump out a fighter non-stop, regardless of quality era.
Zmoke
01/01/2012 06:05 PM (UTC)
I agree that many post-Trilogy characters are, without a doubt, stunning characters that are yet to be recovered. Yet still - just like the games MKD and MKA - those characters are inferior to the Trilogy cast overall. There are several characters who have great potential to become even better than many that we've seen in MK9 now, but then there are characters like Kobra and Kira who should probably never be brought up for gameplay.
By working on them, they could become decent, but it could take too much time and money, and even then they might not become as decent as Raiden, Noob, Sonya or Cage. In other words, I don't prefer revamping the majority of the MKD-MKA characters forcibly but selecting only the top options for gameplay and leaving the rest for cameos only, at the best.
Whenever I try to post in this topic, I get the message below. Then I have to change or edit something out from my message until I can post it. Odd...
Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /perl/cds.cgi on this server.
Apache Server at www.mortalkombatonline.com Port 80
Rockchalk5477
01/01/2012 07:28 PM (UTC)
Whew! Finally.
Good read.

As my favorite character, it was amazing to have him back after a 5-year hiatus.
He's great to play as, has excellent fatalities, and he looks pretty damn good. His moveset and special moves look great (plus his hilariously amazing battle screams.)

However, I'm also really tired of his storyline, as it's pretty obvious he'll never get his much-desired revenge on Shang. They desperately need to rework his motivations.

Obviously, they also need to give him a voice (other than JC's voice actor's spare grunts and screams) so he can get some damn character development. I'd be flabbergasted if he didn't return in MK10. I'm dying to see him in story mode.

He does need a new costume other than his normal bodysuit (which I do like.)
I want to see a costume like his MK:DA alt that exposes his eyes, though no tattered gi required.

Awesome work, Garlador. Can't wait for next week.
Shadaloo
About Me
MK Khronology: 58.49% complete...
01/01/2012 08:39 PM (UTC)
Always loved everything about Kenshi save for his direction after his origin story. There's no rulebook stating that a person can't have more than one nemesis (hi Sub), but Liu vs Shang confrontations are one of my favorite parts of any MK. I'd rather not have Kenshi detracting from that. Perhaps Shang's death will free him to move onto directions of his own which hopefully don't involve the OIA either; the roster could use a few wild cards with no strict allegiance to any camp.

Splendid, as always.
Pages: 1
Download on the App StoreGet it on Google Play
© 1998-2024 Shadow Knight Media, LLC. All rights reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Mortal Kombat, the dragon logo and all character names are trademarks and copyright of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.