Garladors KOTW - Week 14 - Rain Discussion
posted11/18/2011 07:28 PM (UTC)by
Garlador
Avast! Scurry ye dogs upon the starboard bow of awesome as we set sail for choppy waters. We shall weather the storm and greet the tempest head on, so fret not ye salty scalawags, for this week bodes well for our passing!

With Sheeva, Nightwolf, Mileena, Smoke, Shang Tsung, Stryker, Reptile, Sonya's boobs, Sonya Blade, Sektor, Johnny Cage, Baraka, and Kabal in the clear, we head directly into the watery domains of MK's wettest warrior.

Admin Edit: Please be encouraged to direct new replies to this thread.

That's right, peons. It's RAIN time.

(Make it RAIN, fellas)

WHO IS RAIN?
Rain is a famous Korean pop singer, dancer, and actor mostly known to American audiences for the cult hit "Ninja Assassin" and for being Stephen Colbert's second greatest arch-nemesis (behind bears).

("RAAAAAAIIINNN!!!")

Sorry, I think I'm getting confused again.

Rain is an Edenian resistance fighter that betrayed his comrades to his arch-nemesis - Shao Kahn, NOT Stephen Colbert - in exchange for power and respect.

He is also MK's longest running inside joke.

("Purple Rain"? Get it?)

One can also assume Rain was trained in the art of combat by being exposed to a daily dose of Chuck Norris films, doing absurd roundhouse kicks with as much enthusiasm as I would do Scarlett Johansson.

(Note: Doing both at once is not recommended)

WHY IS RAIN IN THE SERIES?
As we've covered before, MK is known for many things: blood, boobies, blood, ninjas, blood, jokes, and also bleeding.

In many ways, Rain is the greatest MK character to exist since he combines everything MK is best at, being a joke of a ninja that kills things. The only way they could surpass that is if they made a purple ninja girl names "Princess"... or slapped some boobs on Rain, I guess.

(Internet law states someone somewhere will fap to this)

Okay, it took a little more effort to get Rain off the ground. To break it down, the MK Team needed to wait for the right weather forecast to ensure lightning would strike where they needed it to.

("So Monday we can expect some heavy roundhouse kicks with a sprinkling of mild 80's pop songs, and later in the evening a dash of demi-god with a ninja cold front. Either way, best bring an umbrella.")

Rain was born out of self-referential acknowledgement that MK had an annoying habit of recoloring their ninjas in every color of the rainbow, and apparently an undead wraith, a Chinese assassin, a lizard man, a collection of enslaved souls, and a walking chimney stack all shopped at the same surplus clothing store. Rain was the MK team's way of winking, nudging, and suggestively whistling at us that they knew it was getting out of control.

(Though if I see someone suggestively wink, nudge, and whistle, I expect things to get out of control in bed...)

So we got ourselves a purple ninja. Purple. And they named him Rain. Purple. Purple Rain.

(GET IT?!! Because we're going to run this joke into the ground so hard China will feel it!)

If MK ever had a counterpart to Street Fighter's pink-gi-wearing Dan, it would be our grape-draped ninja Rain. I mean, after all, what self-respecting ninja wears PURPLE?

(Pictured: A ninja with so little self-respect that he "does machines")

Rain was actually planned for MK3 but was cut before the game was made... and by "cut" we mean he was nothing like Rain at all. He was going to be an ex-Lin Kuei assassin that joined Shao Kahn... and he was going to be Tremor. But they hated the idea and morphed him into Rain instead.

(Guys, I know Tremor has his fans that demanded he be in this game, but when the team agrees he's so lame they need to improve him by turning him into RAIN... it's just time to move on... Let it go...)

Rain first showed up as a red herring in Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 in the Attract Mode, but wasn't actually in the game at all. That didn't keep people from flipping out trying to find him. They even had messages hidden in the game saying you could find Rain in the graveyard, but it was all a lie. Just someone trolling the fans. Who could be so dastardly?

However, Rain eventually received a proper debut in the console ports of UMK3 and MK Trilogy where he was given a proper backstory, moves, fatalities, and ending, and all the powers and charm needed to make the ladies wet.

(It wasn't as hot as I made that sound)

Rain sort of petered into the franchise, and after a lackluster debut that made people who even hated Stryker and Nightwolf rethink their hatred, Rain sort of evaporated (hi-yo!) from the franchise.

But, see, Rain was a ninja. A NINJA, guys. And it didn't take long before the stupidity of Rain was outclassed by an even dumber colored ninja buffoon.

(he's a big red nose and a stupid wig away from being a clown)

While Rain had his fans, MK began hemorrhaging fans in general during the MK4 era, and Rain fans were already a small number. Not surprisingly, Rain wasn't exactly considered a front-runner for the rebooted MK:Deadly Alliance. He at least had cameos in Deception, but it wasn't until "everyone and the kitchen sink" Armageddon advertised a complete roster (no matter how nonsensical or hated) that Rain returned to the franchise.

And... well, Rain sort of grew on people. Armageddon did very few things right, but one of those few things it did right was give Rain a kick up the purple pants and develop him in a way that 90% of the roster is still waiting their turn for.

("Chest development" doesn't count, Nitara)

By this point, fan love for Rain had reached a boiling point (so many water puns, so little time). When Rain missed the initial cut of MK2011's roster, the community howled in a protest so loud that politicians everywhere now ignore other protests for not being even half as vocal or passionate.

Also, unlike politicians, NRS listened to the demands and made sure the forecast for MK2011 included a heavy dose of RAIN!

(The puns! The puns! They're so deliciously awful!)

RAIN'S STORY-
Rain's story began during the Mortal Kombat 3 era, where he is one of many generals in Kahn's army assisting in the invasion of Earthrealm.

Not to rain on his parade (ack... the puns...), but Rain's story in MK3 was pretty generic and forgettable. To truly get into the intriguing aspect of Rain's character, we need to flashback to the beginning.

(not THAT beginning)

"See, when mommy and daddy love one another very much, sometimes they hug each other in ways that only mommies and daddies can, and 9 months later a baby is born!"

.... Yeah, Rain's birth is nothing like that. His is more like "when an omnipotent god protector sees a super-hot Edenian babe sunbathing in the nude, he gets super horny and decides to hit that."

(LITERALLY)
"Then, 9 months later, his bastard child is born and his psychic wife doesn't need to be psychic to realize that this new kid crawling around might not be hers, so said uber-god does a "my bad" and dumps the kid on the doorstep of an Edenian general."

And THAT'S how RAIN was born.

As far as we know, Rain is the only playable Edenian with a Y-chromosome, having been a young child when Edenia was conquered. Unlike Kitana and Jade, who were raised in Kahn's court believing themselves of Outworld descent, Rain was first raised by his foster father, who died defending Edenia, and was then raised by the Edenian resistance, who waged a long, brutal, and ultimately futile war to reclaim their realm from Kahn's grasp.

Rain, being part god, quickly surpassed all the other fighters, and started to get a little cocky and arrogant. You can add "frustrated" to that list when his superiors decided that NOT promoting their finest warrior and giving him soldiers to help them win their war was a better strategy than "slowly die out in sadness and despair."

("You want our support? What, you think you're some kind of GOD or something?")

After continually getting overlooked and denied what he felt entitled to, Rain just said "screw it", waltzed right up to the man he'd spent centuries fighting, and sold out his fellow warriors in exchange for power and leadership amidst Kahn's armies.

What happened post-MK3, however, remains rather mysterious.

In Rain's ending, Rain's past is revealed to him by Kitana, which motivates him to go on a suicide mission to avenge his fallen father. However, he didn't show up again for some time, leading some to believe he died on the way, or some say the ending never happened at all.

(I say he got lost on the way)

Rain then had some spotty appearances in Deception, where he was trying to get Shujinko to steal for him a mystic Shokan dagger, though Shujinko backstabs him and tells Jade his plan, leading her to knock him unconscious and mock his wardrobe.

("Can you believe what he wears? What a man-whore. Huh? What do you mean "double-standard"?")

Despite a lame beginning, Rain was showered (huzzah!) with good development in Armageddon when Rain finally discovers his TRUE origin as the son of Edenia's patron god. Rain suddenly was in a league of deities and become a credible threat, with the blood of Argus coursing through his veins and a new-found purpose to aspire towards. Rain put on his game face and decided "to hell with leading resistance fighters or Kahn's armies. I could rule entire REALMS with this power!"

(If you had god-like power, wouldn't YOU do the same?)

Despite being brother to Taven and Daegon, Rain decided he didn't want to play second-fiddle to their ordained inheritance and decided it would be in his best interest to kill them.

(Most MK fans had the urge to kill them too, so that might be one reason Rain got more popular)

But, like everyone else, Rain ran into a bit of a roadblock. Mainly "Armageddon" and the annihilation of everyone, thus necessitating a reboot... which he tagged along for.

Rain's story is pretty much unchanged, except his ending implies he discovers his origins as a demi-god much sooner than before. Beyond that, though, he's absent from Story Mode and wasn't really involved in any direct way with the story or did anything important.
(Unless "posing seductively in church with Meat" is important)

RAIN'S FUTURE-
Because Rain had less to do with the story than that random grunt that gets kicked in the acid bath...
(Farewell, Blindman Bill McChestington. We hardly knew you.)
... that meant Rain also blissfully and ignorantly avoided the great purging of the MK roster by increasingly convoluted and unnecessary means.

(mainly because Rain himself was rather unnecessary. Oh snap!)

Still, Rain is alive and roundhouse-kicking. Beyond that, despite a very rough, tongue-in-cheek beginning (and middle), Rain's pretty popular now, and his gameplay, story, and design are all top notch. With the positive feedback he's received, coupled with a genuinely epic and serious storyline that deals with everything from child abandonment to infidelity to treason to redemption to fratricide, and Rain, as odd as it is to admit it, has the potential to spin-off into his own game with all the heavy material weighing over his head.

I wouldn't call Rain a shoe-in for the next game, just because MK is unpredictable like that, but I would call it a foolish move NOT to include him and build upon the positive buzz he's generated since splashing down (heh) and stirring fans into a tizzy.

That's especially true with the power vacuum left from pretty much the entire Edenian royal line being snuffed out in this game. In fact, one thing I always wanted to see in greater detail was Rain's relationship with Kitana. In the games, she comes to him and confides in him his origins, which showed some sort of connection between the two. In the non-canon Defenders of the Realm cartoon, he's even her prior fiance.

(You can't tell me in 10,000 years she didn't sleep with Rain, regret it, and do it all over again at LEAST 432 times....)

Rain's ties to Edenian nobility are worth exploring, as is his godly lineage and destiny.

(though can we do it without bringing these two back? Cause that'd be swell.)

Rain's had his ups and downs. Sure, he's had a few gray clouds ruin his day (zing!), and he still struggles to be a joke character, but every cloud has a silver lining (booyah!).

Rain's been through quite a bit of changes, and while public opinion is still split over whether he's terribly awesome or awesomely terrible, he's certainly left an impact. Rain may not be as iconic as Scorpion, or as memorable as Raiden, or as cool as Sub-Zero... but I think we can safely say Rain's a worthwhile addition to the roster, someone with a stand-out personality, lots of interesting drama, great moves and powers, and plenty of untapped potential just waiting to be explored.

So, sound off! How do you feel about one of MK's most notorious fighters? Do you think he's a joke? Do you take him seriously? Do you prefer him good or evil? Do you like his story? How about his gameplay? Are you happy he's DLC or would you have preferred him in the main roster and Story Mode? Do you want him as DLC in the next game or in the roster? What direction should they take him?

And let me know who I should cover next!

Okay, you wet bandits. Been fun. Garlador out.
Insider2000
About Me

Keep dunking your Kenshi breadsticks into your Skarlet sauce, people! The main course isn't coming for a while, and you never know when it's going to be disappointing.

11/05/2011 04:43 AM (UTC)
(Guys, I know Tremor has his fans that demanded he be in this game, but when the team agrees he's so lame they need to improve him by turning him into RAIN... it's just time to move on... Let it go...)

THANK YOU!

*ahem*

I love and hate Rain. He's a prick, but he's so enjoyably self-centered. I like him in the same way I love Ladd Russo from Baccano.

He's the rich nephew of a huge mob boss and likes nothing better than killing people simply because he can. His favorite things are killing people when they least expect it OR killing people who don't think they are going to die. He dreams to kill the entire world, including himself, just so he can prove that he likes to kill people. And among his murder spree, he wants to kill his fiance, a masochist angel who enjoys her lover's careless nothings that he whispers in her ear about how he is going to strangle and kill her one day (and she loves it).

Now, I tend to be a hero lover. I tend to side with what I perceive as 'the good guy' of the story. I still enjoy the villains, but I only enjoy the villains that interest me.

Ladd is a perfect example of someone who I absolutely love, but absolutely abhor, and that's what I see with Rain.

Rain is a rutherless mother fucker, and I really want his story to expand. I want to see him as a villain who does nothing more than step on people's faces and laugh at their anguish. I want him to be the most beauitful character in the series (more than Johnny and Stryker combined....I'd say a female character, but good luck finding a pretty one). And while doing this, I want him to worship himself.
Espio872
11/05/2011 05:38 AM (UTC)
Rain is the only male ninja character I have ever "mained" in any Mortal Kombat game, ever. I like all the ninja characters, but he is my favorite.

He has such fresh and innovative gameplay(this is reason enough to return). Love his crazy kicks, water bubble, roundhouse, geyser kick etc.

His story is always intriguing, it's one of tragedy, betrayal, and a lust for power, motivated by his own perceived or actual grandeur. I liked his original story, his story in Armageddon was a cool new twist and his slighly refined bio for MK2011 gets my stamp of approval.

He's a modern day Narcissus.

I'm going to agree with Insider, I mostly like heroes, but if a villian is interesting, I will latch onto them and Rain fits the bill for me. He needs to make Johnny Cage look a bit modest and he shoud be very handsome and distinguished. Hopefully he has an unmasked alternate next game.

I want to see how he interacts with his fellow Edenians, specifically Kitana and Jade, but also Tanya, whom I presume will both be trying to liberate Edenia so the two of them can rule it perhaps since they're the only loyalty that seems bold enough and greedy enough to surface and lay claim to it..

Rain needs to be on the roster from the get go next game, not DLC in my opinion, the DLC characters get no voice intro, no Nekropolis spot, no role in story mode etc. Rain needs the whole package deal to really catapult him into greatness.

Rain being DLC might have gotten him attention, but him having a really cool role in story mode could have accomplished the exact same goal.

I'm just greatful Rain was in this game, but if you want to be honest, I don't expect to see him again... not until the next MK family reunion game, like several other people in this game, some of their most unique characters get shelved because they're not Scorpion or Sub-Zero..it's a shame.

I'm still of the opinion that the original Trilogy roster(with the exception of bosses) should return for MK10 as playable, no questions asked.

Great thread, love that you chose Rain this time.

My suggestions are for Noob Saibot or Troll...I mean Quan Chi.
wdm6789
11/05/2011 04:04 PM (UTC)

I would want to see Rain come back and want to re establish Edenia and the Edenian throne. It would be cool if the only way for him to do that is by somehow resurrecting Sindel and Kitana, and while hes at it, he might as well get Jade too. By some ancient Edenian rules, Sindel is still queen of Edenia, and Kitana is still the heiress to the throne. Rain has to court Kitana and win her affections to marry her and become King. Of course this could span over the next 2 or 3 games, with other shit complicating everything along the way to the keep this story arc interesting and entertaining.

mkwhopper
11/05/2011 05:35 PM (UTC)
LOL bastard childtongueAnyways, thank you Garlador for doing another good thread. Rain deserves some respect and I hope he comes back in MK10smile
NoobSaibot5
11/05/2011 10:09 PM (UTC)
I was one of the loudest voices of Rain's exclusion from the initial roster, I've been a fan of his since his debut and I'll be a Raintard till the day I die. I love him to bits!

His revamp in this game was nothing short of amazing, and he's one of the best fighters in the game (In practice mode I can pull off a 70% unlimited meter combo with ease). He's just dreamy and I want him to never, ever fade away from MK. Catch him at the right angle and you can see beneath his mask, he actually is quite handsome looking too :P
Grizzle
11/07/2011 02:05 PM (UTC)
Rain, he's in a word best described as an asshole and that is quite alright with me. Rain needs to be the bad guy with his own agenda but he could also play in very close with the good guys sort of how Vegeta was in DBZ. I also dig the idea that in their youth Kitana and Rain could have been romantically involved which could add depth to Liu Kang's relationship with Kitana. We all know that Liu Kang's sworn enemy is Shang Tsung but having a rivalry with a character that stands for contrasting ideals with him such as Rain would make for an entertaining plot point. Rain is a demi-god and in his mind is near perfection, Liu Kang is a humble Shaoilin monk who thinks not of himself but of the world around him and the people he's with, it would be nice to see these two be caught in a love triangle with Kitana.

I say bring Rain on for the next chapter of MK but this time around let's see how he interacts with the rest of the cast.
Shadaloo
About Me
MK Khronology: 58.49% complete...
11/07/2011 05:50 PM (UTC)
"All the world loves a bastard." - Arnold Judas Rimmer

It's a rare thing when my opinion of an MK character changes over time. There are very few characters who I actually dislike; I feel that almost each and every character in the series, nor matter how poorly executed at their inception, can eventually be remade by strengthening their core concepts and developing upon them, by giving them a flavor found nowhere else.

I hated Rain, though. Hated him with a fiery passion. His inclusion in UMK3 as a joke bugged me; I gave Ermac a pass considering all the buzz about him since MK1, but at the same time I didn't, even then, think we needed another ninja. Didn't even want UMK3 Ninja sub present (especially after seeing his ending). I was still holding out for a Skarlet or Blaze (at that time, Torch) appearance. MKT came around and I found his entire moveset silly. I really hoped the suicide mission he went on was canon and that he failed. My stance on him remained unchanged until Armageddon; I was thrilled to see Jade knock him out in MKD, and his death in The Movie Which Shall not Be Named was and still is the only genuinely good part (barring a reasonable attempt by Lynn Red Williams at being Jax. And, of course, Smoke vs. Liu Kang. All Smoke is good Smoke and if you try and tell me otherwise I'll fight you).

So Armageddon comes out, and somehow, amidst all the vomiting, I'm actually impressed as all hell by his appearance. By this time I've long since decided that this guy should come across as a complete untrustworthy asshole. Lo and behold, the team delivered. In the stinking cesspool that was MKA, somehow Rain came out smelling like roses. He's a prick with entitlement issues - and, surprisingly, justifiable ones at that. I can't tell you how badly I wanted Rain to murder both Taven and Daegon, if not for his own sake, then because the other two (both of whom fall into my selective 'no hope for these guys' category) just sucked out loud and needed to be put down.

Well, we all know how that ended. And despite myself, I...wanted to see more. The fanbase cried out when he was excluded from the opening roster, but I knew all along he'd be DLC. After what they accomplished with him in MKA and his positive reception therein, I knew it was never a question.

Thankfully, 2011 did nothing but expand upon him and give him a bit more depth, and triple-confirm his status as a stone-cold asshole. It's a shame that he wasn't part of the roster and couldn't participate in Story, but at the same time it's understandable. He has that stigma of a joke character on his back. I think that the time's come for him to join a starting roster though; NRS treated him with nothing but respect this time through and his popularity has definitely grown to match some big fan favorites.

I still find his moveset awkward, but they've improved upon it. The water control ball looks way better and thus makes sense these days, love the jetstream and teleport. I'm still not a fan of anyone but Raiden using lightning powers though, and that roundhouse still needs to send them through a water portal than just wily-nilly to the other side of the screen - but it's a part of his moveset, his trademark move if he has one, and I find I'd be disappointed if he were ever without it again.

Future forecasts call for more stormy weather. Looking forward to it.

Liek omg cyrax plx next lolomgwtfbbq
Sindra
About Me
11/08/2011 02:50 AM (UTC)
I must be one of the few people that actually likes Taven.

Mostly because he's really kinda a smartass for a Edinian half-god. As opposed to Rain who's all "I deserve my godly inheritance like a boot up the ass! Blah Blah!"

My thoughts. smile
MadameBordella
About Me
Aw yeah, new MK!
11/08/2011 03:12 AM (UTC)
Sindra Wrote:
I must be one of the few people that actually likes Taven.

Mostly because he's really kinda a smartass for a Edinian half-god. As opposed to Rain who's all "I deserve my godly inheritance like a boot up the ass! Blah Blah!"

My thoughts. smile

I'm quite fond of Taven as well. He's my third favorite MK male after Kung Lao and Rain.

Once again, another great character thread. Hopefully more will be in store for Rain in future installments of the series. smile
ThePredator151
About Me
The Ultimate Mortal Kombat Experience
- Lead Graphic Designer - Mortal Kombat Online -

:G-play

:Story

:F-Design

:Cutout

:Get Sig

:Raiden

:Fans [1] [2]

:#LegendaryArts

11/08/2011 08:21 AM (UTC)
All the puns, gaud... lol

When Rain was introduced I was indifferent about him. Probably was because I was such a big Prince and Michael Jackson fan in the 80's as a kid, that I completely (and I mean completely) and utterly (and I MEAN utterly) over-looked the "Purple Rain" joke.

Yea, I'll wait for all your "wtf" moment to be over....

We good?

So yea, I didn't see it. All I saw was a weird, could've been latin or african american, purple ninja with some water powers. I didn't even take his name to heart, "Rain". So I really thought that his rain-drop move was the programmers way of forcing the issue on the character. Once that whole thought process passes, I just accepted what I could've actually liked about a character like that back then. And it was like...."Well, I like element characters....and he's got water stuff, sooo...*shrugs*"

That all said, I didn't take to Rain at all and, I thought the roundhouse thing was stupid. The only thing I did like about him back then, and I'm glad to see back, is his win pose.

Although, I will say that I was also one of many who really liked what they did with him in MKA design-wise. I thought it was one of the best things that they could have done for him. Add to that the whole semi-god aspect of his story and I started to see the same sorts of potential in his character that everyone else did.

I hope they continue to build on this momentum for him. In MK9, taking a deeper look into his backstory definitely helped things go even further, and I gotta say, Rain is starting to become one of the off-shot characters that I look forward to seeing more from!

-----------------------

EDIT: Oh do one of these on Raiden please!! I'd like to see how creative you can get with all his material.

Jaded-Raven
11/09/2011 01:21 AM (UTC)
Another fantastic showcase, Garly. I find that Rain is now alot more than just a pun or a joke and have become a full character with personality and plot. Though I know some people will never see him more as a joke, I will keep fending off the ignorants and honour Rain as the character he is!
Espio872
11/09/2011 01:27 AM (UTC)
^ oo J-R my dear, good to see you around and back with a gorgeous Jade sig I might addsmile

More on topic: I'm also very shocked and somewhat happy that Rain is ranked so high tier wise, I wasn't expecting that, the good thing about Rain's top tier status is that he's not total cake to use, so he keeps away a lot of the cheeser crowd, thankfully.

In my opinion, if a character must be top tier or high tier, they should require a great deal of effort to do well with and master.
Jaded-Raven
11/09/2011 01:32 AM (UTC)
Espio872 Wrote:
^ oo J-R my dear, good to see you around and back with a gorgeous Jade sig I might addsmile

Thank you. ^^
When I saw this artwork of Jade, I KNEW I had to return to here, just so I could use it as a sig and avatar. ;P
The art is credited Urbanator from deviantart.com, and I got permitted to use it, so no alarm. XD
Garlador
11/09/2011 01:57 AM (UTC)
Jaded-Raven Wrote:
Espio872 Wrote:

Thank you. ^^
When I saw this artwork of Jade, I KNEW I had to return to here, just so I could use it as a sig and avatar. ;P
The art is credited Urbanator from deviantart.com, and I got permitted to use it, so no alarm. XD

Glad to see you back, Jaded-Raven.

The last thing I wanted to do was NOT hear from you once I tackled Jade in a KOTW. Oh, boy, that'll be a fun one.
Jaded-Raven
11/09/2011 02:00 AM (UTC)
Garlador Wrote:
Jaded-Raven Wrote:
Espio872 Wrote:

Thank you. ^^

Glad to see you back, Jaded-Raven.

The last thing I wanted to do was NOT here from you once I tackled Jade in a KOTW. Oh, boy, that'll be a fun one.

I'm glad my return is appreciated by some, at least. ^^
I hope to see your Jade thread soon then, Garly. ;P
wdm6789
11/09/2011 06:39 AM (UTC)

I know Im still a newb, but I am also glad to see you back Jaded.

Im ready for the Kitana and Jade discussion threads soon.

Back to Rain though. I definitely think there needs to be some kind of story with him and Kitana/Sindel. It could either be some kind of romance with Rain and Kitana, which I would really like to see. Or some kind of Rain thinking he is the rightful ruler of Edenia or something. Whatever happens though, Kitana should always be princess, because Princess Kitana just sounds right. I wouldnt be opposed to Rain becoming king, Kitana is his queen and they try to take over Outworld or something, give them some action with Shao Khan too.

keyara412
11/09/2011 08:05 AM (UTC)
I'm glad Rain made a return in MK9.....I wasn't really feeling his Armageddon costumes or playstyle so much....but this time around he was much better. He was a little tricky to learn how to use at first...but with some practice he became one of my regulars quickly.... The only thing I didn't really like was his veil. It looks kind of dumb to me...but hey, whatev...no biggie.....I also would've KILLED....anybody...for an MK3 costume ....but no such murder is going to occur i guess lol....I liked his ending and it was kind of funny seeing those children fall out the bus (does that make me bad?) tongue He became my favorite male ninja upon his debut.... Definitely want to see him return in Mk10 with a deeper storyline..... *one can but hope*....nice post again Garlador
Scar_Subby
11/17/2011 03:19 AM (UTC)
Rain is my third only to Sub-Zero and Jade. So I had to at least throw in a little comment.

I also hope he's a main in the next roster instead of just dlc. He deserves it at this point. I'm hoping that somehow Rain joins the good guys, only for a short time, and then Raiden goes to the gods to ask for help and Argus sees him and realizes who he is or something of the sort.

I just want Rain to play an important part in the game. I also picture a cool rivalry between he and Liu Kang like some have said. I picture Liu Kang asking Kitana if she has something going on with Rain and then suddenly a storm starts to roll in and Rain appears to kick Liu Kang's A**. It would be epic.
drpvfx
About Me

11/17/2011 05:44 PM (UTC)
As a major fan of both Rain and puns,
I must say, you've outdone yourself this time!
Thank you for finally quenching my thirst for Rain!

Though my initial love for him grew out of his insane moveset in MKT,
the new backstory in MKA was a most welcome addition.

I, too, am *highly* interested in seeing a prior connection with Kitana.
My baby deserves a more diverse love life than just bland ol' Liu wink

I very much hope they put him on the main roster in MK10 to explore him better,
like you said.

That's one of the main reasons I lament his relegation to DLC-
he had no ties to the story whatsoever.
However, his *excellent* vignette did a great job of making up for it.

They really outdid themselves in revamping Rain for MK9-
he really made a splash upon re-entry!
PrincePurpleRain
11/18/2011 02:57 PM (UTC)
fun fact: I look exactly like Prince exept im mexican/irish/italian/native american
NoobSaibot5
11/18/2011 07:28 PM (UTC)
PrincePurpleRain Wrote:
fun fact: I look exactly like Prince exept im mexican/irish/italian/native american

This confuses me greatly. o.O I'm baffled, so rather than look stupid I just wont ask questions.

I love the treatment Rain got in this game and would also fully support a kitana love tie in future instalments. He was easily the most hyped character of the Roster even before his release.
Pages: 1
Download on the App StoreGet it on Google Play
© 1998-2024 Shadow Knight Media, LLC. All rights reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Mortal Kombat, the dragon logo and all character names are trademarks and copyright of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.